How did a complete fucking loser become such a great character?

How did a complete fucking loser become such a great character?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Edmq4RXfbG4
gelbooru.com//images/7e/e0/7ee0f6e1893b3dc02c342358b74f4989.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

because he has plot armor and has zero character development

Picture not related

He has the opposite of plot armor you fucking idiot but you knew this and I've been baited.

His all fiction is plot armor though
He even gets it back after giving it up

>/r9k/ the character

>zero character development
What?

he starts as the inversion of the shounen protagonist. he's weak and he loses everytime even if he tries really hard.
he's the worst opponent not because of how powerful he is, he uses all fiction for shit and giggles anyway. he's so scary because you know you will beat him but it will cost you. nothing happens anyway in the end and he just loses and becomes an anti-hero i guess?
what saves him in the end is his personality. he's a defective human being that tries really hard to have a normal social life and it's really easy to identify in him that way.

and the naked aprons of course.

What about the handbra jeans?

>replying to obvious bait

>underestimating stupidity

Why anti-hero?
He's an outright good guy at the end

>they used 2 seasons on animating the worst part of the manga and stopped just before the best part

It wasn't the worst part, and you can't just start from the middle

>worst part
Not even close

kumagawa a cute

He actually has the most plot armor, more than Ajimu even

Kumagawa didn't really change though. He's still the same from the beginning to what he is in the end.

But those are the best kind of characters.

I'm pretty sure he was trying to murder the entirety of class 13 at first and then changed

>He's still the same from the beginning to what he is in the end.
Are you retarded? Do you not notice character development unless its thrown in your face? Kumagawa may have acted the same throughout most of the series but his intentions changed completely.

Because he doesn't back away from a losing bet

Lovable losers are great characters. Even more so when they acknowledge they're a loser.

A lot of reasons, mate.
My top pick will be the greatest love story ever

It was truly beautiful
Also Kumagawa had many girls he wanted to bone but he never managed
Truly a loser until the end

Because he strives to be better than the main character. Someone post the page.

This?

Close.

Because even he know nakama power are bullshit.

For me, it became legendary when he lost against the cerberus.
Seeing him able to win an unwinnable duel, but in the ending losing it anyway 'cause he couldn't simply imagine himself as a winner was the moment I felt in love with the good Kumagawa.
Also pic related

Man that was brutal

tell me about kumagawa, why does he speak in brackets?

>complete fucking loser

He fucked Kikaijima and had a kid with her, his life wasn't that shit.

"No one ever called me Friend"

Is it canon or just your opinion? Dunno remember exactly

Medaka Box was absolute shit.

Japanese pun

Is the author spoonfeeding western readers?

I think the only time in the whole manga that he's not trying to look cool is this and ironically its pretty cool

Not that user, but I think too that Kikaijima's kid is his both because of the pic that user posted and because having the kid being named "the best" would be a perfect contrast with the father being the absolutely worst in everything, and we know how much Nisio loves that kind of things

No, that pic was edited by someone here.

You need the full version.

True

Pretty sure the ending was pointing to the complete opposite of that. The whole "he fucked Kikaijima" thing is a stretch at best for what people use to come to that conclusion, and when you take into account how the ending portrayed him and especially that fucking epilogue, it's incredibly unlikely.

youtube.com/watch?v=Edmq4RXfbG4

Also after he gets Book Maker again
I don't understand why they lost their powers
Was it just a mass chuuni phase?

You only have powers when you're attending school. Everybody knows this.

>I don't understand why they lost their powers
Asspull by the author to sound deep, there are multiple characters that are older and have abilities like Zenkichi's mom or the Shiranui Not Equal

Iirc it was something like that most people can be extraordinary only when they are young, while as adults everyone becomes more or less the same
Some are able to remain incredible (I suppose a real life example would be guys like Steven Hawking or Usain Bolt), but most becomes just part of the many that aren't extraordinary

But Shiranui and Kujira kept their powers
Oudo kept them even after leaving school for a while
Isn't it the opposite?
When you're young you have your quirks yet are a nobody, when you grow up those quirks can make you a legend

It practically happened.

In that chapter, everyone blushed when they talked about something related to their spouse/family or passion. In this page , Kikaijima is blushing.

Moreover, when everyone is chiming in with what information they have on him, Kikaijima is mysteriously silent (the fact they devoted a panel to show her not saying anything while blushing is already a hint).

There's also a hint in the child's name, like said. Also the kid's hair is white, just Kumagawa's was when he was young.

As for why Kikaijima remained silent, it probably has something to do with what was mentioned in the epilogue about Kumagawa not wanting to leave behind any records. She might just be abiding by his wishes.

However when you are in highschool being the fastest guy ever in the track team can make you a legend, but when you actually try to reach the olympic games you find out that you weren't anything special, you were like everyone else

Just got more motivation to reread MB. I remember the guys translating it doing some poor job in some occasions so it will be fun to read it in moon this time.

To be fair a lot of things in MB weren't translatable to English

Yeah, but some were just plain blunders.
When Ajimu's powers were listed they translated 地獄耳 as "hearing what's going on in hell" when with a simple search you can know that it is just a way to call a very acute sense of hearing in japanese.

Sure that might make sense
But not for everyone
Maybe for Oudo who had a terrifying presence and influence over other high-schoolers, or Akune who was awesome at Judo in school
But not for other stuff
Medaka terrified all animals, not something related to high schoolers
Also she destroyed the moon, how is that not demi-god level?
Also they faced off against Zen's mom, and she was a super brilliant doctor that had a ton of trouble
There were adults that got BTFO really hard

>Asspull by the author to sound deep
you completely misunderstood

the entire epilogue was supposed to be, first and foremost, one giant kick in the balls, and the whole 'oh haha we were all just kids and chuuni as hell' explanation was a big part of it

I like him because you know that 90% of what comes out of his mouth is bullshit, but he says to in such a way that makes you want to like him. The other great thing is that the other 10% (pic related) is pure gold.

How is such a great character not animated for the best arc?
Why is the best arc not animated for such a great character?

Damn you Gainax! Such a big waste.

I don't think it was meant to be taken literally for all the characters. After all basically all the adversary of the second arc where definitely superhuman, yet it's implied that most of them lost their power anyway
It's not meant as "Medaka and everybody else lose their power when they grow up", but as "Kids are able to be great only as long as they are kids", with some exceptions.
The characters are just larger than life (because the characters of most work of fiction are larger than life) representation of what happens to real people

>it was horrible on purpose
God I hate this reasoning

He's so much of a loser his arc isn't getting animated
It's meta-narrative, what did you expect from Gainax?

Kumagawa never grew up, or never submitted himself to the ways of the world. I think this last page tells it perfectly.

But it's jarring and stupid in too many ways
Again Shiranui and Kujira kept their powers, Nabeshima even won at the Olympics
But Medaka lost everything, even her "aggressive and overwhelming presence" despite the fact that she makes her usual battle face in the last chapter
It's just really badly thought out
Yeah Kumagawa pulled a true Shonen Jump hero ending
>I'll disappear and leavee a bittersweet ending
Why do people keep writing this when it makes no sense?

You seem really determined to not get it.

>he had the jokers in his sleeve the entire time
>he was still mocking her despite all this
This is why I love this madman.
This fight and his first duel with Zenkichi are my favourite fights of him.
Hell, in the fight with Zenkichi he basically pulled off something like five different plays in order. And the last one even worked. It was so hilarious in a dark way seeing him "lose" time after time, and then realising he was playing a different game altogether, and he's winning that one.

>How did a complete fucking loser become such a great character?

His quotes played a big role

Some of the earlier chapters were nigh unreadable, as I recall.

so was zenkichi the love interest?

I was going to ask "for who", but then I realized that the answer was yes for everyone.

>kumagawa was chilhoodfriend before the childhood friend
good job setting up to lose. but seriously was that supposed to mean something? ok you met medaka before zen, but you didnt have any lasting impression on her.

is it me or was zenkichi way too understanding for most of the villains except kumagawa?

Can someone post that popularity poll result spread? He looked so happy it was great.

I miss Medaka Box threads

Just looked it up, as expected it's a mess. In the previous page Medaka asks how many Not Equal exist, in the panel previous to that Ajimu responds "7000", An then that panel "No, that's not it, it's 700 million" "In other words, to put it bluntly, one tenth of humanity is [me]"

Whene "me" is written with the kanji for Not Equal and read "boku".

Me too.

Lads, I want to read/watch Medaka Box just for the sake of Kuma.

I dropped Medaka Box anime on 3rd episode because it was shit, should I try again watching the anime or go for the manga?

My favorite was when right near the end they said "oh hey Zen's being saying "devil" all the time and we never put it in, lol".

Best girl.

I even learned how to use PS to do some silly edits back then, now looking at these I'm ashamed of the quality

>edits

They're real to me dammit!

Also if I recall correctly, the child was called Mogami. Mogana + Misogi

Read the manga. Don't drop it when it starts out boring, it gets way better later on, although you'll need to keep an open mind.

You should read the manga. It has the best arcs. Also you'll get to be surprised when you see characters' actual hair colors, just like we were.

Interesting, there were hints, but that's pretty funny.

These aren't their real hair colors?

I mean after reading them for chapters in black and white, finally getting a color page like that showing you what their hair colors were. Like how we all thought Hipster-kun's hair was white.

>he walked her home gently

Oh, shit, I see. I wasn't very surprised when reading Medaka Box, but there are manga that I've read where the actual colors really threw me off.

I want that exact art of Naze but without all the other shit. She looks great in that.

I remember a lot of people kept forgetting that Nienamie's hair was orange.

>eternal loser
>wins in a fucking landslide over every single girl character
>has a thousand lead on Medaka
Why do people call him loser again? There's no more definitive victory for a character,

You have no idea how many times I've fapped to that specific image of her. No idea.

>thousands lead on Medaka

I kind of wish it had never ended.

Becayse although he wins this contest, it doesn't affect him at all in the end. So even in the end he didn't [couldn't] win.

It got him a spinoff though, but even then he doesn't get a victory in it.

Here's a higher resolution

gelbooru.com//images/7e/e0/7ee0f6e1893b3dc02c342358b74f4989.png

She looks fucking great in that I don't blame you.