>Sold great in japan
>Performed great overseas
>Confirmed S3

Nothing, just another reminder SAO is the most successful LN IP in recent times

No camrip.

And Odex being a bunch of spoiled kids blaming everyone but themselves

Nothing

>Confirmed S3
S3 was already a given when A-1's CEO announced they will keep adapting SAO as long as there's material
Progressive anime when?

kirito, as per the usual
he's tolerable in the first half of alicization when he's not being the the divine saviour of the world and actually faces challenges but hey the one that got popular was jesusto so they'll stick with that version
>Confirmed S3

when

>What went wrong?
>SAO movie
sage

Teased at the end.

>Teased at the end.
In the wrong way. S2 should've ended with Johny Black attacking Kirito. If you want to tease don't do it softly, give the audience a cliffhanger that leaves them talking about the show and makes them want to watch the next season.

SAO as a LN has some pretty bad writing, but somehow the anime has some pretty bad directing on top of that, and the fact that they missed such an easy way to generate hype for a next season is proof of that.

Should have just been Kirito and Asuna taking out the last boss.

The Yui deus ex machina + everyone single character from the series getting into the fight is just overkill.

Still kinda mad that Asuna was relegated to victim status for a third of the film again but vintage Asuna already made it 10000000x better.

I found that the ending of Alicization wasn't as bad as some of those summaries made it out to be upon actually reading through it. While Kirito was the one who beat Gabriel's final form, the majority of the heavy lifting to that point had been done by other people and the one who actually saved the day for everyone was Kayaba.

The parts that stood out for me in the Underworld portion of the second half were all of the snapshots of what the different secondary characters were doing during the gigantic battle (the Goblin leader realizing he was being used as cannon fodder and coming up with a good plan, Shayta vs. Iskhan, Bercouli vs. Vector, etc). Also, the real world portion of the epilogue where Alice ends up being reverse-isekai'd and ends up being a prisoner in a robot body in an unfamiliar and hostile world was very poignant. I have no doubt that the anime will screw it up, but, as written, it really struck a chord with me.

>The Yui deus ex machina
I honestly dislike Yui
She ruins the show

They're still around? What's the story this time?

Is the music good?

Absolutely nothing. It was the only thing that the SAO franchise has produced that is enjoyable without having to have a "so bad it's good" mentality going into.

At least they bring kizu here

>Is the music good?
The music is always good, user. It's the most consistent thing in the series, in fact.

Only reason I watch the series in the first place, main theme got on my head for days man.

There's a slowed down version of Swordland or We Have To Beat It in there as well which was great as I was blasting those songs before watching the film.

I hear it copies pic related
true?

I heard they banned from Singapore and Malaysia for breaking the laws.

allmost,they kind of still showing kizu but who know of future

I didn't watch season two, but I'll watch this.

I like Kirito x Asuna stuff.

watching it without watching MR is not the best of ideas

How far will it go

the majority of the time asuna manages to be decent is when she's apart from kirito and the majority of the time kirito manages to be decent is when he's not near a member of his harem posse, asuna included

the anime sort of fucked around on the adaptations a little but the second season is still better than the first
Alicization Human World>Alicization War>Mothers Rosario>Phantom Bullet>Aincrad>Fairy Dance
indisputable tbqh

With the dub release counted as well?

If yes, it'll probably get to third behind the two Eva, might even beat the second

If no, it's already more or less done airing so might beat the GuP movie at best

Eir Aoi isn't around anymore to sing an insert song for the movie.

Listen, I'm never going to take SAO seriously. It's not a good sci-fi, and it's not good drama. I watch this series for the dumb fightan and cute character moments.

I'm not interested in seeing Asuna be a hero or learn about life and death from a 1990s disease.

1. Their English subs are still a google translate of their Chinese subs. Either is poor QC or they thought this was a good brick joke
2. The tone of their facebook post regarding the SAO camrip. It's like they are issuing threats at the "anime community" and none of it was their fault when they forgot that Malaysia is Malaysia, not Singapore with its strict laws.

High risk of falling asleep

but it's not a good romance either though?

Since they are fighting in AR and not in a videogame isn't PvP technically streetfighting and illegal, isn't Eiji attacking the Furinkazan group technically battery or even attempted murder and they could press charges?

Why did Eiji decide to murder all the Furinkazans and Kirito, but not Asuna or any other players? Why did he ambush that one Furinkazan guy in an alley on his own but decided to fight all the rest of them as a group?

The point of showing SAO bosses was to trigger SAO memories in former players, but nobody outside of the clearing group ever saw any bosses so this trick should only have worked on former clearers, not all the SAO players. And even the clearers never saw the bosses from past Floor 76, so including these bosses was worthless.

When the main stadium area locks everybody in Kikuouka gains access to a side room by shooting the lock, why couldn't he just do this to get into the main stadium area? Did he not care about everyone inside who was about to get microwaved?

How did clearing the Ordinal System's Floor 100 boss restore everybody's memories? The Augmas literally microwaved the parts of the brain where the memories of SAO were. How did ending the game fix that?

The professor may have just gotten hired by Rath instead of sent to prison, but what happened to Eiji now that he has been denied his waifu twice after attempting to murder a thousand people?

Am I crazy or did they never bring the first two over, only the third one?

It's cute, though.

this

imagine the shitstorm that would have happened if kirito gets stabbed with the needle, staggers a few feet and falls to the ground flatlining as asuna screams his name into her phone, then the screen fades out

THAT's how you end a fucking show

Shut the fuck up. Nobody likes cliffhangers.

>pretending they care about the local anime community when their business model is to ripoff anime fans
I'm really surprised they're still around.

>glop glop

speak for yourself, faggot

only filthy secondaries wouldn't know what happens

It's actually one of the best arcs of SAO next to GGO arc.

really hope season 1 of alicization ends with eugeo dying, gabriel and his buddies taking over the ocean turtle and kiritos mind being destroyed tbqh

>It's not a good sci-fi,

Actually it is. It's the only great thing about it. There are great instances where the technology seems far fetched but actually possible.

>It's not a good sci-fi, and it's not good drama

Last arcs of the novel are alright on both these fronts
Anime might fick it up though, i'unno

>There are great instances where the technology seems far fetched but actually possible.
The biggest Frodo is the technology. It's stupider than the case in Jurassic Park where they keep making the park over and over again despite people dying each time. You'd think after the fourth time, VR would be a no-go zone.

They only died once as an actual cause of the vr though, in Aincrad
GGO was a special case

Havent watched the movie

>r/anime is actually defending this movie

>What went wrong?

Second act of the movie was a SLOG

>Havent watched the movie
No one died but people suffered memory loss and there was a chance of death if the villain's plan went through.

I shouldn't have implied people died every time, but there was still fuckery going on in Alfheim, and the design flaw in GGO led to lethal doxing. After all that, I wouldn't touch a VR system.

>There are great instances where the technology seems far fetched but actually possible.

They're neat ideas but unless you have the mind an 8 year old no one is actually going to believe in the possibility of using VR for therapeutic care for the terminally ill or large scale boss fights where the entire cityscape with 10 blocks changes its look.

The greatest thing about the series has always been the psychological effects of VR gaming.

SAO The Movie: Ordinal Scale Makes No F***ing Sense. Fight Me.

youtube.com/watch?v=yeCNkm7gzfc

man so cool.

Sao is nediocre most of the time, but mothers basement and digibro clickbait for views with their videos on it

Stop watching them

Apparently it was explained the short novel that came for people that went the fourth week of the movie that Eiji girlfriend Yuna ended up dying helping Klein group clear boss or something. He probably still blames them for her death and wanting some payback. Him wanting to fight Kirito was probably him being cocky as shit on him proving himself of being the strongest if he beats the person who cleared SAO and no longer the weakling no name that he was in SAO.

>when

Pretty sure the movie's post-credit scene was basically a teaser for the future S3.

S2 ending like that could have been great. Though it seems like they had been planning the movie immediately after S2 ended, so I guess they didn't want that kind of cliffhanger, followed by a movie that has nothing to do with it.

Fitting right in, I see.

Yes it's a frodo. No doubt about that. That goes hand in hand with the writing. But the concepts are nice.

I like how the theme of Ordinal Scale was to collect information from various memories to construct a personality.

Well naysayers did say we couldn't fly back then.

So yeah having a mind of an 8 year old is way better than shutting down doors to possible scenarios.

>Questions if the person will be different

But they actually did address that. Which is why Yuna(Not the idol) wanted Kirito to stop it.

For someone mocking an already shitty movie by the spec of it's existence he sure shot himself in the foot there.

>using VR for therapeutic care for the terminally ill
Why not? It's perfectly reasonable, using the technology present in the series.

>Finally create a character who can compete with Kirito
>Kill her off with fucking aids
I lost a little piece of respect for SAO I didn't even know I had

Wow. He's digging deep. He actually criticized one of the few strong points of SAO which is its visuals.

This guy is so full of it just like Digibro.

>Fight Me.
It's a troll video.
He's just baiting for reactions; it's in the fucking title.

I'm actually amazed people take his crap seriously.

>It's a troll video.
>He's just baiting for reactions; it's in the fucking title.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

He's still full of it. And those 140k views are disgrace. I sure hope no one watched that the second time.

>They're neat ideas but unless you have the mind an 8 year old no one is actually going to believe in the possibility of using VR for therapeutic care for the terminally ill

What the fuck?

This actually has some promise though and is not a shot to the moon.

This is why GGO was actually the most interesting arcs. The idea of a full dive VR could be used for aiding recovery from Traumas.

>This actually has some promise though and is not a shot to the moon.

It's SAO in the nutshell

Very solid ideas squandered royally

>using VR for therapeutic care for the terminally ill
I see no issue with that my man. If I were terminally ill and going to be stuck in a hospital for the rest of my already cut-short life then sure as fuck I'd like to be hooked up to a VR game until I die.

So what the fuck even is Alcilization anyway? I remember someone saying something about using VR games to train people to fight a literal god of darkness or something? Is that it or something else?

>What went wrong?
Using Cut instead of Copy.

Spoilers ahead, but this is all explained by book 2.

Basically, a part of the Japanese government want to be able to protect themselves in the event America suddenly stops protecting them. They figure that they could funnel money into a project to create powerful AI that can act as a guidance system, while also being able to make moral decisions, because of the current state of politics and public outcry constantly demanding less and less casualties in war.

Rath was created as a cover to research the human mind and the concept of AI, and apparently Rath somehow learned how to talk directly to what they call "FluctLights" (aka, the soul), and duplicate it into an artificial medium. They figure that creating a AI from scratch that can make complex moral decisions would take too long, so they decide to just copy the minds of people to act as AI. Thing is, the Artificial Fluctlights are somewhat fragile, and end up thinking themselves to death when they encounter an "error". The scientists experimented by creating clones of themselves, but every time the clone was confronted with their real self, they would basically melt-down.

So they cloned the Fluctlights of several human newborns and decided to create a Virtual World (called UnderWorld) where they can grow these new Fluctlights from birth—basically a simulated universe created by a video game SDK. With the world being accelerated at several times real-time, entire civilizations sprout up. All for the purpose of finding that one AI with the proper moral compass

In comes Kirito. At the very start of the Arc, Kirito is attacked by a Laughing Coffin member, the 3rd Death Gun that was never caught. Because he was poisoned, Kirito suffers brain damaged. To save him, Kikouka (pic related, who is also the head of Rath) decided to hook him up UnderWorld, because apparently their technology can conveniently fix brain damage too.

Well shit that actually sounds somewhat interesting. What about the god of darkness thing? Was that just some nonsense an user decided to spout?

Yes. I agree with that. But really, people are denying SAO the only few merits it has.

So... That somewhat answers the whole long rant about why it seemed that no one actually cares.

>pic related
And I forgot my pic.

So Rath created a few "God" accounts, so the researchers could log in to interact with the residence of UnderWorld.

Well, long story short, the final antagonist of the arc is a group of people trying to steal Rath's research, specifically the Fluctlight they created in the end. One of the antagonists uses the God account for the being that's basically considered the God of Darkness.

>To save him, Kikouka (pic related, who is also the head of Rath) decided to hook him up UnderWorld, because apparently their technology can conveniently fix brain damage too.

This is too convenient, but damn that is still nice. We might be laughing at it but there's a possibility that one day those people have gone to deep end might actually be able to function again.

>This is too convenient
Well, it kinda makes sense within the context of the story. The SoulTranslator (STL) can basically suppress memories, and access your thoughts directly, so fixing brain damage with it should be within the realm of possibility.

The question now, is why the bad guys aren't aiming for the technology that could literally brainwash people in a matter of seconds...

Oh okay that makes sense. See the user I keep referring back to made it out that there was a literal God of Darkness that was going to try and destroy the world so they were going to use VR to make soldiers. Found it hard to believe that'd be a legit plot in SAO. Thanks for clearing up my confusion amigo. Season 3 should be interesting then I guess.

They actually do couple things together, which blows most anime romance out of the park.

He's not though.
He didn't criticize the visuals, he criticized two aspects in particular: the cinematography (understandable) and the complete break from reality that the action scenes partake in (human beings doing super human bullshit)

>He didn't criticize the visuals, he criticized two aspects in particular: the cinematography (understandable) and the complete break from reality that the action scenes partake in (human beings doing super human bullshit)

The super human bullshit is another thing. He clearly did criticize the visuals saying something on the lines that the fight scenes sucked just because he deemed them meaningless.

One thing that was only hard to follow was the final boss fight. Still he was nitpicking so hard hard that he made it seem atrocious. Bottom line though is that the animation and the scenes worked.

It's as if these things don't happen in live action movies.

But they ARE sucky because they're meaningless.
It's a brain-dead viewer who just sees high-framerate fight scenes and thinks that's interesting enough on its own.
Like for all the BS that the One-Punchman fights go through, 90% of them have some purpose, either as a gag or a thematic contrast or even plot relevance sometimes
>All fights in the first episode save for the Subterannean ones: Gags to show how disconnected Saitama is
>Krabmante fight: Saitama breaks out of his depression
>Subterannean Fight: Saitama feels excited again, realizes what he truly desires

Episode 2:
>Genos vs Fly lady: establish Genos' character, Gag with Saitama
>Genos and Saitama vs House of Evolution: Gags with Saitama AND to establish some of Saitama and Genos' relationship

Episode 3:
>Saitama vs Demon Kabuto: Gag, Further establish Saitama's disassociation, thematically relevant with Kabuto being genetically stronger than everyone around him and being arrogant where Saitama did his 3x100 workout

>Ep 4: Sonic vs Terrorists: thematically resonant of a hired hitman vs idealist terrorist, establish Sonic's personality and abilities
>Saitama vs Sonic: Gag, Thematically resonant for the largely disconnected but bored Saitama vs the disconnected by psychopathic Sonic.

I could go on but the issue is that fight scenes alone arent worth just padding your movie with.

John Wick works because they establish basic emotional stakes and because the scenes themselves are well shot and choreographed.

I saw Ordinal Scale, It looked like a proper sequel to season 1 and the fight scenes were well drawn but not well choreographed, and we get no development from Kirito during his montage of soloing monsters, nor do we get any from him during his Egi fight

Sorta.
The concept of a character existing past their death is back, but a lot of the thematic and in-world stakes are tanked when you realize they're arbitrary. M's B goes over why in his new video I think.

It's okay...I'd prefer it to focus on just four characters: Kirito and Asuna, and Yuna and Egi.

I'd have found it interesting if they set up Yuna and Egi as a sort of faux-reflection of Kirito and Asuna, both trying to recreate the events of SAO in a Great-Gatsby attempt to heal their PTSD and insecurities, bringing in old SAO players to complete the 'therapy'

>But they ARE sucky because they're meaningless.

Meaningfullness =/= SUCKY animation.

The animation was great. If you have a beef with the story or whatever, you say that the story sucked.

It's like calling Kemono Friends had good animation just because it got carried by the different aspects of the show.

It's utterly idiotic to lump them together and say one is bad just because the other dragged it down. For all his rants he even said something about the sounds being to blaring. It wasn't even as bad as most of the hollywood films.

But why bother having good animation for something that is just filler?
You're missing the whole point, M's B (and I) are ripping on the fact that they spent the greater portion of the animation budget (both money and time) on scenes that DID NOT MATTER to the plot or thematically.
They could have just said "And Kirito trained on solo monsters" and fast-forwarded to his fight with Egi.

No one said the animation was bad, just the choreography/cinematography and basic conception of the fights themselves.

It's like spending $2 million dollars adding special effects to shitty fight live action fight scenes...It's like this
youtube.com/watch?v=AUiA4blvQPQ

>But why bother having good animation for something that is just filler?

Then ask the director whoever. You're trying to make questions here that won't get any answers. Just fucking deal with it.

Was it so hard to say something on the lines of

>The movie had great animation and some interesting motifs but damn they blow it off so bad that it lost meaning

Was it?

So you can shove that youtuber's shitty uninformed click bait opinion elsewhere or you maybe shill less about it. We clearly have enough Digibro-tier shitposting here.

YOU are the one who said that the youtuber claimed SAO's visuals were bad...and he didn't.
He said they were good but everything else was poorly conceived.

How is that uninformed? It's clear to anyone who watches the movie WHY they did it: fight scenes, especially ones that have a big budget and have high production-value put asses in seats, whether that's anime or Hollywood films.

He acknowledged that the visuals were good but that's to be assumed if its an anime franchise movie.

I don't get what YOUR issue with the video is.

>YOU are the one who said that the youtuber claimed SAO's visuals were bad...and he didn't.
>He said they were good but everything else was poorly conceived.

Oh he did, then constantly ranted about minute stuff like camera work, editing, and what not that he's implying the visuals suck.

But he literally says that the bosses look nice, that they have good animation but that everything else about the scene visually doesn't work
The visuals in your book (picture quality, animation quality) are what he says are good and the other qualities of a scene (choreography, blocking, cinematography) are what he said were bad.

If you think he implied anything, that's you projecting.

I have the timestamp of the video where he says this just to prove you wrong, 16:40

>If you think he implied anything, that's you projecting.

Whatever. I mean it's not like he said something derogatory about the visuals just because they were meaningless.

I mean just projecting anyway.

We're not going to be contrarian just for the sake of it like old Sup Forums. Nowadays we have civil discussion on popular anime like Naruto, One Piece, and SAO. The fact is, SAO had huge commercial success despite its flaws.

>minute stuff like camera work, editing
I wouldn't downplay the importance of shot composition and editing.

He lost me when he claimed One Punch Man and Konosuba had excellent openings but SAO didn't have any good openings even including Mother's Rosario.

>the OPM opening consists of stuff that never happens in the story
>the 2nd Konosuba opening also consists of shit that never happens

Maybe the mundane scenes fall short but not the fight scenes.The only things that suffered through this was like I said, the final fight. It was a clusterfuck. Though nothing was glaringly bad.

Though overall, it worked and nothing was distracting.

Exactly where in his statement did he strongly give a good example?

One that when you're watching through it, you will most likely be annoyed by it because of it being too jarring?

And not just you, most people.

He said Mother's Rosario was the ONLY good opening.

An opening isn't just what happens in the story but has to do with establishing characters' personality, their place in the story or relationships.

I know the SJW Big Three had the habit of basically trying to do a 'greatest hits' of a season in their OP but the intro is meant to to be an intro to the series as a whole, to get someone who sees it interested in seeing whole episodes.

OPM shows off the relationship between Saitama and anything he encounters.
Konosuba...well I haven't seen the second OP so I can't say.

Like the KLK second opening introduces you to the characters briefly, establishes that clothing is a theme and motif of the show, and shows both an action scene of Matoi vs Satsuki (showing that they are rivals) but also showing them both walking towards Ragyo (showing that they both oppose her).

A fight between Satsuki and Kiryuin never happens in the show like it does in the second OP but its thematically relevant.

How would we know if other people were put off by the editing?

If they were massively complaining about it?

I mean he was nitpicking on it so hard and made it sound like it was glaring.

KLK OP 2 was one of the laziest openings of all time. It was a still picture dress up sequence. Ryuko and Satsuki's rivalry isn't relevent in the 2nd part of KLK.

I agree, it was incredibly lazy but they still managed to fit in more meaningful thematic elements and motifs than the SAO ops did past the first one and Mother's Rosario.

You don't need great animation to have a good OP. It helps but it's unnecessary if you know how to direct

After the whole "Odex saga", they went to do stealth marketing(using others' brand to hide their own) with SOZO aka AFA and Takashimaya's help.

And years after people may forget about the incident, they decide issue this threat out like its all the community's fault.

Who the fuck is doing their PR?