Utena Thread

April 2 will be 20th anniversary of pic related.

We need Rebuild of Utena movies now!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZaU_OLIF_fw
youtube.com/watch?v=_2QBfnW7DUM&t=152s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

God fucking bless Akio.

Just finished watching the series like an hour ago.
What the fuck happened to Utena in the end?
What was Akio even trying to accomplish?
Was Anthy evil?
Should I watch the movie?

The movie is its own beast, but you should watch it anyways.

>Prince has his powers sealed away
>His sister (who is a witch) gives him a opertunity to live as a mortal man
>Akio becomes corrupt and uses Anthys magic to create a school and a timeloop, while raping Anthy every week to keep her under control.
>so there are a lot of timeloops, where every character is the main character at least once, they have to win all the duels, in order to get some bogus revoution power, while in actuality, the winner just unlocks the prince powers, which Akio will just steal.
>The show is the loop where Utena is the main character, but instead of freeing the prince, she actually freed anthy
>Thus breaking the loop
I think.

>What the fuck happened to Utena in the end?

She left the school and went back out to the real world. She grew up.

>What was Akio even trying to accomplish?

Get his original power back. Which is ironic since he himself told Utena that the castle is just an illusion and the chairman's room is the real place of power. He's trapped in his own delusions.

>Was Anthy evil?

Yes. But it wasn't her fault.

>Should I watch the movie?

Yes. Buckle your seatbelt, though.

>Yes. Buckle your seatbelt, though.
Heh he.

Rebuild of Utena with my main guy Mikage as the protagonist.

Was this guy even fucking real

I thought he was a ghost

>tfw I could identify with Mikage more than any other member of the cast
I guess I'm a robot.

He was real at some point, but by the time we see him he was basically a ghost kept alive by the school's power.

Indeed

He wasn't that old. His ex-girlfriend showed up and she wasn't past middle age.

He might have died in the fire, though. It was really unclear what actually happened back then.

Mikage burned down Nemuro Hall believing it would give Mamiya eternal life and also so he could be with Tokiko forever. That much is clear.

What we don't know is what happened to Mikage afterwards.

Also, was Mikage a pedophile? I'm not sure he'd become so drawn to Mamiya otherwise.

I think it's more like Akio and Anthy literally sucked the life out of him, but he might just be a metaphor for someone that doesn't have a good high school experience and gets arrested development or something.

He wasn't a pedo, he simply didn't understand love when he meet Tokiko, since he is a "Robot man", he even watched the same movie Tsuabuki watched thewhen he wanted to understand "grown up stuff"

What happens is he more or less tranfers his love of Tokiko to Mamiya.

>This kid never got /ss/'d
Damn shame

He had shit taste in girls anyway.

Delete this

>What the fuck happened to Utena in the end?
She DIED.

Fucking RIP

>shit taste in girls
>implying
Nanami is easily top 5 at the end of the show.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>Rebuild of Utena
>Tomoko Kawakami is dead
Fuck you OP.

Her seiyuu died as well. From cancer I think.

Fuck me UP ;_;

youtube.com/watch?v=ZaU_OLIF_fw

I liked the black rose arc a lot.

>shit taste in girls
He's not falling in love with Utena, though.

Nanami was a arrogant POS who's only capable of thinking about herself and her feelings. On top of that she's also a murderer and someone who emotionally manipulates a young boy.

Even at the end of the series where she starts to see through Akio's scheme, she doesn't do anything about other than curl up in a ball and cry about it. Utena meanwhile actively tries to stop Akio and correct her own mistakes.

>someone who emotionally manipulates a young boy.
What if the child consents?

Miki is my muse.

>Utena
>shit
You've crossed the line.

>she doesn't do anything about other than curl up in a ball and cry about it
>implying
Did you forget completely about this scene?
youtube.com/watch?v=_2QBfnW7DUM&t=152s
She is literally the only one to warn Utena about the whole thing.

And afterwards she decided to become subservient to her brother despite knowing he had at least some link with Akio.

That's pretty pathetic.

I fucking loved Mikage.

I tried to watch it recently but had to turn off during the first episode. I think I could handle the dated animation but the dialogue was so grotesque at times. Is this meant to parody bad anime plots, or is it just a bit stupid in general.

The first episode is just there to trick you into thinking you're watching a typical shoujo. It gets gradually crazier and better as it goes on.

>Akio will never give you a ride in his pimp car
Why live?

Wow kill yourself.

Juri a best girl of all time. Shiori can fuck off.

HOP IN, NERD.

WE'RE DRIVING TO THE END OF THE WORLD.

Black Rose arc> Apocalypse Arc> Student Council arc

I want to have a decent Utena fig and an Anthy fig to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I doubt we'll get more than a tweet from Ikuhara acknowledging the date, tbqh.

It's dangerous to stand up, Saionji.

Shut up, peasant!

You switched those names bucko

Tsuwabuki pls

Don't make me sad, user.

>You will never see such a glorious work of philosophy, art, mindbreaking, and masterrace bisexuality ever again

I tried to start this series
At first, it refused to work with mpc

I stopped at episode 9
A month later I tried to get back in, and the only sound I could get was a horrible buzzing.

>implying
It's getting rebroadcasted!

I dunno use kissanime if you can't use your media player
or try using vlc or kawaii codec pack

I really like how sexuality was handled into utena
Really dealt with it maturely and didn't force it, try to preach or make it seem like something special
It was just a part of these characters

Until Ikuhara releases his next project anyway.

>didn't force it

I have kcp and I even use a damn DAC. I don't even think I changed my settings during that month. It's one of the dual audio ones, the English dub works, but the Japanese dub is just a stream of harsh noise.

Literally only in the last arc, hilarious as shit because of the entire scene, and played off funnily

Forcing it is more dialog and thematic based

MPD and YKA couldn't compare really.

Black rose arc sure was great. Imagine if Evangelion took all the minor characters (the bridge crew, the students etc.) and gave everyone their own episode, that fleshed out those secondary characters. I really liked it how the secondary characters in utena, all have their own story, motivations and relationships with the main cast. Usually, secondary characters stand around to make the cast seem bigger, get killed as redshirts or deliver exposition.

>the English dub.
That brings back memories. it was quite bizarre and interesting. Touga and Akio sounded sexier and Utena was Misty from Pokemon. The weird way everyone said their lines, really added to the bizarre mindscrew that was the show. And since every character acted very inhumane and weird, the dub worked perfectly.

The problem of the Black Rose arc was that Utena really didn't give a shit about these people, so the duels were: "OK whatever, I'll guess I'll beat you" (exception being obviously Wakaba, Utena's reactions to that were one of the highest points of the series).
Then I never understood why the last black rose duelist was whatsherface Nanami's henchman, by far the most useless character in the series and an incredible anticlimax right after Wakaba.

>Then I never understood why the last black rose duelist was whatsherface Nanami's henchman, by far the most useless character in the series and an incredible anticlimax right after Wakaba.

They wanted to leave Touga's soul sword for last, but it was a mistake.

>anticlimax
That was the point. Keiko's entire arc is about how forgettable she is. Utena even realises that she doesn't know her name right after she beats her.

I might just use the dub then. I tried every good torrent on bakabt, which all have the dual audio I think, and they all had the same problem. I think it's my DAC not wanting to work with 5.1 audio or something even though I configured everything to be stereo.

They already made that point with Wakaba, condemned to forever be a side character and never seeing her dreams fulfilled, unlike the chosen ones of the rose seal.
Repeating it with an even more irrelevant character really wasn't needed.

>Then I never understood why the last black rose duelist was whatsherface Nanami's henchman, by far the most useless character in the series and an incredible anticlimax right after Wakaba.
Two reasons. First, it was to give nanamis faceless henchmen some character. She loved Touga, and that was the only reason she was loyal to Nanami. later in the series, she betrays Nanami, once it is revealed that she is not Tougas real sister. that's also a thing that undermines Nanamis ego, as her tool sees her only as a tool, to get close to her brother. And second, it showed how truly lonely Touga was. For the schools second best manwhore, mikage had to grasp at straws to find someone (the least important girl, and a stalker with a crush), that could pull out Tougas sword. That shows Touga in a somewhat sympathetic light, as even with all of his power, sexual conquests and popularity, he doesn't have anyone who could get close to his heart (aside from Utena and Saijonji, but he has a love-hate relationship with both of them).

>MPD
>implying
It's miles better

"No."
In any way.

Can we please don't turn these in anothe MPD vs Utena thread?

I WANN KILL THIS LUCKY SONFABITCH!! I WANNA RIP HIS FUCKING EYEBALLS OUT AND SHOVE E IN HIS PRETTY FACE. SHIIIIT!! WHY? HOW?! HOW CAN ONE GODDAmn AN GET THIS UCH HIGH SCHOOL GIRL PUSSY?! THE FUCKING SCENE WITH UTENA...THE FUCKING......ARGGGGGGHGRHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHR

Okay.
Let's talk about how underrated YKA is.

You mean one that's only three years older than she is at most?

Three years younger, I mean.

Another? And what's the consensus?

Go to bed, Morinaga Milk.

That YuriKuma is dogshit that tried and failed to be like Penguindrum in every way.

Was Saionji beaten at home? He has the general behavior of a kid who was been beaten one two many times. He is violent, a little crazy, yet he can be both gentle and somewhat reasonable and wise (He became the sceptic and a voice of reason later on). And when he was kicked out of school, he still stayed at Wakabas place (and banged her), even though he had no way of getting back into School. Why didn't he just return home? Also, him being abusive towards Anthy an anthy turning out to be evil, kinda gave me a vibe that Saionji could subcounciously tell that Anthy was bad news, but he responded to that feeling with violence.
I kinda felt sorry for him, even though he was an ass, in the beginning, but I also wish he had more character development or a redemption arc. That's a thing a remake could give us. A remake could add a lot of interesting ideas to the story.

That Yurikuma was too short and it's Ikuhara's worst series so far.

Utena was a fucking junior high school student? Way to fucking Akio my man. Fucks his sister and her little friends, all the while having a rich fiance. Akio's dick ust be at least 12".

If anything it avoided all the mistakes MP made (making new ones, but that's another matter).
The two aren't considerably different in quality.

>Yurikuma was too short
So was MPD, but at least YK was properly paced.
>and it's Ikuhara's worst series
Debatable.

He never fucked worst gir-, I mean, Wakaba. Saionji was pure. He only wanted to be with Anthy. He had to smack her up a few times cuz she was a retard, but he only wanted her love.

>Why didn't he return home?
He wanted Anthy, and by extension, power. He was tired of living in Touga's shadow, so he used Wakaba as a means to an end.

It makes me wonder if Saionji knew that Akio had plans for him now that I think of it.

>YK was properly paced.
No, it was rushed righ at the end. And you don't get to know well most the characters.

Just like the other ones, he really only wanted eternity (eternal friendship, the faggot). He didn't really care about Anthy.

I'd like to see a good MPD vs Utena review/analysis, becuse I can't understand the reason why I prefer Utena myself.

>No, it was rushed righ at the end.
No, that was MPD.
YKA never lost any time, you had a backstory/Nanami episode mashup as soon as episode 4.
The characters didn't have an incredible amount of depth but neither did most of MPD's despite the longer runtime, since the series was too busy with pointless macguffin chases and fake cliffhangers.

>Im horny, I really need to find my sister. Or her best friend, Or my fiancee's mother. Or the student council president. Or that boy that hangs out with Mikage. Or anyone else who wants to take a ride in the akio car..jpg
>341 KB JPG
That filename tho.

The better characterization? The more nuanced interactions? The flawless narrative?

To me, Utena is better for a number of reasons:
>The longer length means there's more time to flesh out characters.
>There are more memorable tracks in Utena. MP has little aside from Rock Over Japan and the song that plays during the sacrifice.
>Utena feels "fresher", since MP borrows a lot of it's elements from Utena.
>There's more room for discussion and debate with Utena, since there's a lot more ambiguity.

>at least YK was properly paced.

It fucking wasn't. It should've been either shorter (a batshit insane movie like AoU) or longer (to make us care about its characters and develop believable relationships).

I prefer MPD but I can see why people prefer Utena, it was more impactful and accesible. MPD is more focused on its plot and if don't uderstand something shit will be hard to enjoy.

>neither did most of MPD's despite the longer runtime
False, more of the characters seems pretty plain in the first half but then they show their other face as the story progress, the same can be said of Utena's first arc but with a larger cast, Himari in particular could seem like a just cute imotou but how she deals with her envy and low self esteem is something that makes her as a deep character.

>was too busy with pointless macguffin
Looking for the penguindrum was literally Utena's first arc, they present you the cast in a simple way then in the second half you get to know who they really are.

>believable relationship
You're talking about a series where loving and eating someone aren't mutually exclusives. It's a fairy tale, much more than any other Ikuhara story before, you have to take it as it is, it could never be "believable".

DONA DONA DONA DONA

>>he still stayed at Wakabas place (and banged her)

>20 years later
>still people who haven't figured out Saionji is a canon flaming homosexual

Utena was always about its characters. There was no focus on the macguffin chase like in MPD, there were merely allusions.
Abandoning the formulaic character based narrative of Utena, MPD had to come up with more and more excuses, red herring and cliffhangers to keep the story and the characters going, and it wasn't half as effective.

He isn't criticizing that, he is criticizing that we saw the characters spend so little time with each other that we don't care about their relationships. I mean, I just cared about Ginko and Lulu and that was mostly because Lulu was best bear.