Why isn't sci-fi anime more popular?

why isn't sci-fi anime more popular?

Science is lame

Fiction is also lame

Because there are very few stories that actually benefit from sci-fi settings enough to justify the added expense of animating such things. It's much cheaper to just keep setting everything in high schools.

Sci-fi in general is somewhat niche, anime or not.
The occasional sci-fi franchise will break through to the mainstream like Star Wars or Gundam, but countless other good IPs will fail to do so. The same thing could be said about fantasy, or any genre fiction.

Is that Sword Art Online?

Ordinal Scale movie, yes. Or as we call it around here, Ordinal Kino.

That's not ordinal scale you retard

Futuristic fantasy is pretty common and popular in anime.
Hard core sci fi with boring and annoying lore dump is thankfully not.

Sci fi autists don't refer to Star Wars or Gundam as sci-fi.
They refer to Star Wars autistically as space western while Gundam as space fantasy with the likes of Vandread.

aren't those both sci-fi?

Star Wars is science fantasy and Gundam is mostly soft science fiction to me, but then I'm not an autist.

Star Wars definitely isn't science fiction, though. There's nothing sciencey about it, it's just in space.

Something something bubble economy.

Honestly though, who the fuck knows what drives trends in any particular direction at a given time

Haven't seen it yet, waiting for BD. So, how much Kino is Ordinal Scale? Is it George/10?

They are to the public in general since for most people, future technology/robots = science fiction, regardless of how much effort or lack of to dump random scientific speeches.
Which is why for most people, Star Wars and Mass Effect is science fiction.

Autists just have different genre differentiation to demonstrate how much time they wasted on entertainment.

Because Japan can't into good Sci-Fi if it's not mecha advertisment to sell toys.

Did you just start watching anime yesterday.
There are so many good sci-fi anime made by Japan I can name at least ten in an instant.
Since this isn't /wsr/, I will just recommend Dimension W from last year.

don't recommend Dimension W again

>good sci-fi anime
Made in previous century - sure.
>Dimension W
I keep track of all anime each season.
And I didn't like it.
If anything - Humanity have Declined or Kino no Tabi had the right Sci-Fi feel to it.
Space operas made by nips are fine too, but they still lack somewhat in an atmosphere of what western auditory would consider Sci-Fi.

Hello autist-kun.

>Autist
At least specify which part do you refer to or I can't answer you, except with something like picrelated.

Sidonia got a bit popular

I imagine hardcore sci-fi only attracts a very specific kind of people.

People watch star wars because they want to see people fighting with light sabers. People watch gundam because they want to see robots fighting each other.

Scifi itself is boring. You can only combine that shit with other genres.

if it doesn't involve cute girls, I refuse to watch it. I know I'm not alone in this
show me 1 scifi anime that is centered around cute girls. cute girls sell merchandise.

>Scifi itself is boring. You can only combine that shit with other genres.

That's what makes it great, actually.

it's prone to pseudo intellectual bullshit from authors. Just look at Evangelion.

>Just look at Evangelion
Evangelion is fantasy not sci-fi. Angels/demons/bible stories/religion shit is in fantasy genre.

user, you don't actually know what genre are do you?

It's science fantasy. It's still centered around science, be it pseudo-science, but moves towards a fantasy element rather than a realistic element.

That's why they always ask if it's more like Star Trek or Star Wars.

Nah it's shit.
When it is full on fantasy is when it's great.

Because most of them have retarded bullshit story. And 99% of them have shitty ending.

The amount of engineering detail in Eva Q blows most of the anime these days out of water.

We're in the isekai timeline.