80's revivalism?

What's /pol's/ thoughts on 80s revivalism? Are we literally memeing an era back to life or is it just a phad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KIzWs2q8rhI
youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU&ytbChannel=GUNSHIPMUSIC
youtube.com/watch?v=ONRpgrC09NM&ytbChannel=BlooodMusic
youtube.com/watch?v=JRR-x9JZ_Oo
youtube.com/watch?v=vwBbrngafl0
youtube.com/watch?v=JR
youtube.com/watch?v=l7rS3itMibE
youtu.be/wpDmZVYC8KU
youtube.com/watch?v=23SVHUPrUJ4
youtube.com/watch?v=ICa1_cmCZbM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

$

2 more years and we can bring back the 90s

Why would you? That's when all the wars happened.

you sure you really want this?

I grew up in the 80's, as a kid/adolescent, and I can tell you one thing for sure; the 80's were fucking shit. Dark, mean, gloomy neon, cold and unforgiving, as if someone had cranked the treble and the bass way up, and killed the mid frequencies and then turned up contrast and colour all the way on some old television.
the 90's though, were actually as good as they say.

please god no.
the 90's were the 80's hangover

I prefer 80s music/media. Also, PC culture was introduced during the 90s, to subside till the early '10s.

It has nothing to do with the actual 80s.

The 80s "revivalism" movement is all about capturing that imaginative optimism that the 80s culture/art had for the future.

Funny enough, people born in/from the 80s say the 80s revivalism trend is kind of like the feeling/sound/look back then but not really.

I think we are trying to revive the 80s optimism, but the darkness of the present taints the image like a dirty window. That's why it all seems so nostalgic/faded. It's not created nostalgia, it's our own problems right now subconsciously forcing themselves into the art.

PC culture, as originally envisioned in the 90's, was merely a call to being respectful and not much beyond. It spiralled out of control and became what we have today.

in the 80's, though.. your run-of-the-mill Sup Forumstard would get his ass handed to him all day err day. The 80's didn't take kindly to weakness, whining or bitching like what we get from the nu-right. Back then was actual conservatives, old school hard fucks who'd kick your ass for talking shit about niggers and then kick their daughter's asses for hanging with them.

you wouldn't last in that environment, sorry.

If it will bring back actual good music i'm all for it.

I just want 1987-1994.

Just the music and fashion though. I want to experience an actual rave and actual doves

>optimism
lol

we had recession, rampant crime and yuppies milking the working class. The big cities were ravaged with crime, violence, poverty and urban decay -New York was going bankrupt. Go to youtube, search New York in the 80's, take a walk down South Bronx -it made Detroit of today look like heaven.

and all the time we had to fear WWIII breaking out because USA and The Soviets were staring down each others barrels.

no thanks man, the optimism came in the 90's -the economy soared, jobs came back and the cold war ended.

just saying.

>kick your ass for talking shit about niggers
80s in eurocuck land maybe. we more openly hated niggers in the 80/90s by a fucking MILE

Yeah those are the best years for stuff.

nope, you didn't. You were simply better at sticking to your own, both whites and niggers. Calls for racial hatred weren't fashionable, like today. Racial hatred was discouraged, but racism and segregation was culturally enforced.

i guess i meant more so an optimism about technology advancing faster in the future than it actually did? or will in the near future, even.

i mean the cyberpunk dystopia is quintessential 80s. dark yes, but advanced.

true, true dat.

DESU: I just want 80s music/Cyberpunk aesthetic back.

I must concede to that, the aesthetics were something else. We sure killed that with grunge and tækno rave in the 90's.

I just want Retro-wave, Synthnwave and Vapourwave to be the mainstream.

>retrowave
I don't think it'll ever truly be mainstream, but I do get the fascination. It really catches the gloom, the darkness and intensity of that decade. I listen to it myself, it's almost.. masochistic, yes therapeutic.

youtube.com/watch?v=KIzWs2q8rhI

Gunship is becoming mainstream tier. youtube.com/watch?v=-nC5TBv3sfU&ytbChannel=GUNSHIPMUSIC

>80s
You better mean 1780s

I am all for reviving the 1880s

I need to listen that a bit more, not bad.

Slightly different genera, but Peturbator is also very good. youtube.com/watch?v=ONRpgrC09NM&ytbChannel=BlooodMusic

cheers mate, good stuff.

He's really great live, try to see him when he does a tour.

>Dark, mean, gloomy neon, cold and unforgiving, as if someone had cranked the treble and the bass way up, and killed the mid frequencies and then turned up contrast and colour all the way on some old television

>you sure you really want this?
Yes

It's annoying as fuck. Teenagers born in the late 90s and early 2000s are pretending that the 80s were some kind of golden era.

I was around then, it was fucking miserable. As in, there was literally nothing to do. Maybe popular music and movies were better back then, but it's much easier to actually listen/watch them today. Vinyl records and cassette tapes aren't cool you faggot millenials, they were a pain in the ass. It feels like most of pop culture nowadays romanticises the 80s, look at guardians of the galaxy or ready player one. I wish I could punch everyone who's "nostalgic" for the 80s in the face.

Fuck off with this fagwave bullshit

Any anons want to start a Depeche Mode cover band?

Which ones? Desert Storm was more of a turkey shoot than a war.

It'll never happen
Source: vaporwave

Was still a war and set the presitant of American and Britain interviening in Middle Eastern conflicts.

It seems that Vapourwave lives on in the Alt-Right. Ironic, speaking that it was created by Marxists.

Why do 80s movies like showing city streets so drab and dirty with trash everywhere, burning barrels, homeless people, graffiti everywhere, etc etc.

this gay shit sounds NOTHING like music that was made in 80s
I have no words to describe how much I hate that shit called "retrowave"

Because everyone was actually pessimistic about the future, and the people on this board who say it was a time of optimism and hope were born in 2000

Gen Z thinks that anything with synthesizers in it is automatically 80s-sounding

When in reality your average song in the 80s sounded more like this - youtube.com/watch?v=JRR-x9JZ_Oo

I was born in 87, so I guess that makes me a 90s kid. Though I got to experience the afterglow of the 80s. I've heard the 80s died in 94, I kind of get what they are saying I guess.
Also, your flag. Did you move to the UK or did you grow up there? I'm sure the 80s was a lot different here. I've spent a lot of time in the UK, and I found the UK pretty drab compared to here honestly. It feels like it's further along than here, like it's what the US will resemble in a couple decades. So maybe the 80s UK was sort of like 60s or 70s US? Up north it's very friendly and quirky though, that's where I liked it most.

I think I would have the 80s okay, but I'm very content with the year I was born. I got to experience the world pre internet, and while still young I got to watch it transition and change into something very different, and it's still changing now. But internet culture didn't really become mainstream until 2008. I can just imagine what it must have been like being a kid in that era.
But being a kid in the 90s? Damn that was pretty sweet.

80s metal is life

Damn, I got the backwards. Maybe the 80s uk was like 90s or 00s US. My bad.
I'm going by peoples demeanor, outlook, complacency, optimism, etc etc.

the sad fact of the matter is that we will never have anything this white and awesome again. ever

youtube.com/watch?v=vwBbrngafl0

just imagine the casting and forced plot if they made this in le current year

Trying to ''revive'' a decade of your childhood is not going to happend. You can learn from eternal truths and past aeshetics, but never take your eyes from the future. What has been will not come back.

Focus on the future.

This.

>youtube.com/watch?v=JR
It'd be racist for some reason.

or this
youtube.com/watch?v=l7rS3itMibE

I was born in 1968. Lived in England my whole life. I'm pretty sure that what most kids think of when they think of the 80s nowadays mostly comes from American media.

Although to be honest I was going through trouble in my home life at the time, so perhaps my view of the decade is overly-negative compared to most people. And while there were still lots of black people and pakistanis around back then, there wasn't quite the same level of friction that there is now.

is fashwave still a thing?

wrong..it was all mids and the stench of hairspray

>I grew up in the 80's, as a kid/adolescent, and I can tell you one thing for sure; the 80's were fucking shit. Dark, mean, gloomy neon, cold and unforgiving, as if someone had cranked the treble and the bass way up, and killed the mid frequencies and then turned up contrast and colour all the way on some old television.
>the 90's though, were actually as good as they say.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I remember parties and running wild at night during the summers with my friends.

The rebirth of the action hero...
Terminator
Rambo
Red Dawn
Die Hard
They Live

Lots of things to do.....
Surfing
Skate boarding
Freestyle BMX
Cruising for chicks

House parties with a live DJ and kegs lined up against the back fence. Sluts in miniskirts among the 300 attendees.

Club hopping on the Richmond strip. Same type of people, clothes and music as the bar scenes in American Psycho.

My senior year in high school I didnt miss a day because it was actually fun to go and be around my friends.

Uncle Ronnie as president.

>jobs came back
people say this but that's absolutely false. Thats when they started leaving en-masse from the biggest sectors that used to provide a decent living. Auto and Manufacturing. The former of which got split between mexico and Canada, and the latter of which went almost exclusively to china. The tech boom brought about by the Internet was the ONLY reason the 90's were economically so well off.

Older millennials who were too impressed by the 80s when they witnessed it as a kid.
Granted the synth is great, lots of music has gone all digital and overcompressed but in the 80s it wasn't, but the rest of it was a lunatic asylum for the turbo-degenerate where everyone pretended to be the one flying over the cuckoo's nest.
It was a horrible time period, utterly dreadful.
>but Reagan
One element that you didn't necessarily run into in daily life.
What you did run into was cocaine, faggots, AIDS, glam metal, the proliferation of rap and hiphop as nigger music, etc.

What people remember is none of that.
They remember enjoying all of that.

I'm pretty sure in the 80s, there were no jobs. Even in the early 90s. That shit that passes for a job now didn't count as an actual job. The tech jobs were plentiful starting from the mid 90s. I graduated from the college in mid 90s, and there were jobs through the ass back then, but mostly in tech fields. My boss was looking for a job in late 80s, and he was telling me how it was near impossible to find any, even though he was a very capable techie. This site is mostly people in tech or tech related fields, so for people here, the mid-late 90s would be a bonanza. if you knew anything about computer you could get a kick ass job in mid-late 90s. Everything was getting automated, the jobs paid very well too. People were changing jobs every year with big salary increases.

I enjoy it. Really like 80s stuff. But since its a past, no new content of any kind was being made, but now with this revival its great.
It gives me typical 80s exaggerated stuff, which is really nice.

Also appealing to normies and may win shallow minds attracted with just "coolness" to our side.
And yes, those are important, they have right to vote, they can make the crowd at protests, and eventually can be talked some sense into them. They just gave up thinking as consumerism around make them avoid thinking. But they are not a lost cause.

Some of the aesthetic is cool but not in the way you do it. The synthwave shit is just corny and forced. The ephemeral vaporwave surrealist style and the cyberpunk jap aesthetic are cooler.

Anyway 80s revival I think is so prevalent even today after the initial 20 year nostalgia wave because it was the last time America was really the stereotypical "America" of the past. Strong, unified, patriotic, safer in most places, easy to get wealthy, respected, conservative leaning, and most of all 90% white. A lot of people want those days back, that's why they constantly listen to the music or rewatch the movies, even liberals and millennials. Maybe it's a subconscious thing because they know the present is so shit, but they don't really realize why that may be.

I remember that before Nirvana, the MTV was all shitty rap and glam metal. It was horrible. Nirvana opened the door for all other music. Before that the MTV was unwatchable. Late 80s music that is good now wasn't even played. It was only rap and only metal with dudes in spandex. There was nothing else on TV. However, there was a lot of good music, but ti was very hard to find. Nirvana broke out all kinds of different music that you wouldn't be able to find. Remember, there was no internet, and to listen to a song you had to buy the whole CD for around $10 min. So in actual reality you had only easy access to shit that nobody listens to today, but it was forced down our throats. Whatever shortcomings Nirvana had, they allowed other music to be heard on TV.

Don't forget how brutally expensive technology was. A 19 inch color TV was a major purchase, computers were damn expensive (and laughable to modern expectations), and so on.

You existed in a information vacuum, other than going to the library, watching a few TV networks maybe cable, and tenuous connections for oddball hobbies like anime. I've studied the anime communities of that early era in the West, and getting episodes of Gundam and shit was a dark art of sorcery, shit was on nth generation tape copies barely visible through the noise, and people had photocopied zines to correspond about Jap cartoons.

It's one of my favorite eras, and the first decade of my life, but I prefer to experience it through troves like Youtube records of 80s culture.

I never left the 80s.

Best band of the 80s

I enjoyed the 80s. Very comfortable time. Collected my baseball cards and watched Diff'rent Strokes in syndication.

87-94 was undoubtedly the best years for music.

>IDM will make a comeback in your lifetime
youtu.be/wpDmZVYC8KU

Can confirm.

Underground 80's club music wasnt forced. The music was so trippy that most of the time i didnt drink very heavily and unlike evryone else I avoided cid. It wasnt until the late 90's when techno ruled the dance floor that I would actually drink so I could get into the state of mind where i could halfway dance to that shit.

Nirvana shitted up MTV with the grunge movement. After 93 it was either rap or depressing angst filled alternative bands.

>old school hard fucks who'd kick your ass for talking shit about niggers

You sound like a faggot and would have gotten your ass kicked like they all did. Miss the days when you could beat a fag right in front of the cops.

so basically a less degenerate but still degenerate area?
yeah call me back when you revive the 40s

>call me back when you revive the 40s
Yeah man, Stalingrad sounds like lots of fun.

We'll let you be first in line when the ramp drops.

The 80s revival has been happening for the past decade really. I love the Stranger Things asthetic though. It's the perfect example of neo 80s.

turned 20 in '83 and did not work again until '90 spent the 80's following the Grateful Dead and hanging out in California.. I wish I knew how great it was I'd have taken a much more serious interest in enjoying it but I did my best but honestly nothing "retro" ever works... life is of the moment made up on the fullness of things make your own now

I think we all partied so hard because the mainstream media was constantly harping on the Nuclear Apocalypse meme. Gotta have that boogeyman to be protected from.
youtube.com/watch?v=23SVHUPrUJ4

both of you are idiots if you have ideias of the 80s being this perfect fucking era
we were only at an earlier stage of decline

Bring back neon leotards.

Some people think music suffered in the 80s, it really didn't, I think some people just didn't like it.

Hey, you're the one that brought up the 40s. Maybe if you had suggested the fucking Neolithic period or such, you would have had a leg to stand on with the whole "before the decline" line you claim Vlad.

youtube.com/watch?v=ICa1_cmCZbM

brought up the society not the war you wanted to be clever gits
hey lets go back to the 80s and split germany in two and europe and have a nuclear standoff
see that sounds fucking dumb

We were in decline since the beginning of the last century, You think your grandma wasnt sucking dick back in the roaring Twenties.

They get it, funny to see Japanese capturing American culture.p so well.

>80s aesthetic
>80s inspired music
>business / venture capital boom
>hackers making waves
>donald trump as president bringing back morning in america
>communists getting btfo

It's pretty much the 80s all over again.

>You think your grandma wasnt sucking dick back in the roaring Twenties.
yeah back then being a whore was looked down uppon
why do you assume hey women were whores here must be like this everywere

its more like the 1920s if you think about it

>hey lets go back to the 80s and split germany in two and europe and have a nuclear standoff
>see that sounds fucking dumb
Yeah because Germans are much better off being over run by Muslims, women getting raped on New Years eve, Jihadist attacks being the norm in there and across Europe. Yeah it's all bunnies and rainbows now jackass.

Commies vs Mudslimes is cancer vs HIV
and you are agressively retarded if you think half of europe being under commies is better because muh muslims

>yeah back then being a whore was looked down uppon
>why do you assume hey women were whores here must be like this everywere

Do you think your generation invented kinky sex you fuck wit?

He's being sarcastic

no your did the contemporary of her at least
dude you know jackshit about romania and yet speak like you are some fucking expert this is what i hate about Sup Forums

Muslims are far worse than commies. They were killing millions a thousand years before muh Commies ever exited.

>that obama-era monetary policy

Good point, we all might be fucked when the next correction comes around.

is he tho i heard this unironically spoken by americans

I don't want to know jack shit about Romania. We're talking about the States here asshole. If you hate POL so much feel free to fuck off to Reddit.

>Muslims are far worse than commies. They were killing millions a thousand years before muh Commies ever exited.
yeah because they existed for far fucking longer
communism being a product of the industrial revolution
and i would like to see numbers not just guess work

>and i would like to see numbers not just guess work

Show me on the doll where I give a fuck.

>You think your grandma wasnt sucking dick back in the roaring Twenties.
is there lead in your water?
have a memory problem retard?

80’s music was cool, not the pop but the underground (at the time) metal, early death, Black, and power metal. 70’s was good music too. I just hate when people say that music isn’t good anymore. It’s pop culture that sucks, and it brought us disco in the 70s, hip-hop in the 80’s, that bubblegum crap in the 90’s to now. It’s never been good.

this is why i dont debate americans they are morons yet they dont know it they dont have the decency to say i am a moron
the more moronic the more confident in his many basic bitch opinions

>>You think your grandma wasnt sucking dick back in the roaring Twenties.
>is there lead in your water?
>have a memory problem retard?

I can only imagine the industrial waste that seeps into your water table.