Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=APIKVLw1tT0
youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE&feature=youtu.be&t=71
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's Perfect Blue obviously.

Blue > Actress > Paprika > Godfathers > Agent

Millennium Actress

I remember shit-all about Paprika.
What was the plot even about? Office lady's subconcious connecting to shit and jumping around and then real world overflowing with it?
Maybe I should rewatch it one day.

>What was the plot even about? Office lady's subconscious connecting to shit and jumping around and then real world overflowing with it?

Woman uses dreams as a form of therapy. Within the dreams, she has a friendly persona that allows the patient to be more open and comfortable.

Someone steals the device that enables this and uses it on the city, making it seem as if the dream world and the real world are one. The plot is about finding out who stole the device and stopping him, with a subplot about a detective trying to come to terms with his trauma.

>device
Yeah, rewatching it. Don't even remember that part.

Millennium Actress

Tokyo Godfathers is objectively and subjectively the funniest

Well out of those choices of course.

Tokyo Godfathers is my favorite of his.
Perfect Blue is good, but his style is still too raw and unwieldy. Millennium Actress is the best of his trippy work, perfectly joining the plot and his style. Paprika is probably his best technical work, but the plot falls apart. I never got through Paranoia Agent, but I was liking what I was watching.

nah Paprika is his worst one, the rest are way better

I'll accept any as best except Paranoia Agent and Paprika

He didn't have a bad one though.

I enjoyed paprika the most because of the music, but perfect blue was better in terms of everything else.

youtube.com/watch?v=APIKVLw1tT0

Paranoia Agent gets my vote.

Paranoia Agent, but all are great and Tokyo Godfathers is a GOAT Christmas movie.

I haven't seen Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers yet, but I'd have to go with Millenium Actress. Perfect Blue is a close second. Paranoia Agent really fell off after the seventh episode.

The Setsuko Hara one.

Perfect Blue.

The editing in that film is tied with the best that LA cinema has to offer.

Millennium Actress

>Paranoia Agent really fell off after the seventh episode.

Why?

The way he makes his movies is very reminiscent of live action. I think that's why I don't like them that much, feels "hollywood"

Is he Sup Forums's Kojima?

m8 Kon is pretty far from Hollywood

Millennium Actress for me.

That's the best way I could describe the feeling I get, don't know how else to put it

The first six episodes did a phenomenal job of establishing characters, and the seventh one does an amazing job of blending all their stories together. I wouldn't hesitate to call it one of my favorite episodes of any series. But after that, the plot takes a detour for two whole episodes, and it becomes really apparent that Paranoia Agent was based on a variety of ideas Kon had rather than a single cohesive plot.

Paranoia Agent > Perfect Blue > Millennium Actress > Tokyo Godfathers > Paprika

To clarify, it's Hollywood that drew inspiration from him, not vice versa. Black Swan and Inception are both heavily influenced by him. Christopher Nolan even said so.
I don't think Aronofsky has admitted the inspiration even though it's very clear where he drew from.

This video does a great job of describing what Kon's style actually is. He was influenced by western films, but used animation to create something really distinct.
youtube.com/watch?v=oz49vQwSoTE&feature=youtu.be&t=71

I rewatched it a few days ago. My opinion and understanding of the movie definitely changed for the better.

Yeah that's a good video. Kon understood and saw cinema as an artform. He's not unique in that sense, there are other auteur anime directors like he was, but he had a unique style.

>video essay shit
I hate this pretentious shit with all of my passion.

The last chaper is phenomenal though.

agreed

I can't think of anything more obnoxious.

What do you hate about them particularly? I quite like watching them during a meal or with some free time.

Probably that mostly they're done by people who have no idea what they're talking about but they themselves think they're experts.
I haven't seen all what the Every frame a painting guy does, but he's actually a film editor so he at least has some weight behind his words.

he's a pretty smart faggot

I fucking hate eceleb youtube bullshit but Every Frame a Painting is genuinely well informed and insightful and analyzing film through inly text and stills is inherently inferior for obvious reasons.

Kemono Friends

Millennium Actress>Perfect Blue>Tokyo Godfathers>Paprika

Though Paprika has the greatest rewatch value.

PERFECT BLUE