Western-esque action shows

Why are these so rare and why is it that the majority of them are either filled with zaniness or too many gimmicks? Specially Gunplay shows.

>Baccano has supernatural shennanigans
>Black Lagoon has a terminator maid, kungfu knife chinese girl, deranged murder twins that can carry a BAR so easily, etc.
>Jormungand has that bullshit plot and soldiers that don't get shot in an open field(see ep 9)
>Gunslinger Girl has cyborg lolis

Master Keaton is not even getting translated, do the math.

It's just not popular enough with the target demographic.

I like stories like that, lets be clear about this before it sparks a discussion, but evince would subject that it doesn't sale as well.

On the other hand I am pretty sure there are plenty of Seinen that used that premise on older magazines, plus a bunch we might not get due to translation, same with master Keaton.

Western action movies are pretty zany (the good ones, anyway)

It's a shame how relegated the series is

There's such an ingrained status quo in the anime industry. It's sad how little animation has progressed in the past few years and how it hasn't changed at all in the public's eye.

I have little doubt shows like Master Keaton could thrive, it comes down to conservative industry members sticking with the easy, safe money from the same relentlessly milked demographics, which in turn does nothing but turn or disinterest the rest of the population at large creating an ongoing cycle.

Urasawa is the only author (I know) that doesn't include archetype (moeshit, shounen, waifubait, etc) in his works.

>implying the zaniness isnt the best part
would you rather an action comic about a black guy killing KKK members? Or an action comic about a black guy killing evil monsters that use the KKK as a front

I would read both of those

91 Days played things mostly straight, and it flopped incredibly hard. It's just not a popular genre.

Because you don't support them when they pander to you.
Obviously nobody else going to bother to try again after such charming show of support for your favorite genre.
This is why I always support devs that make a good effort at pandering to my taste with my own money.

What is Anna Liebert?

Still not as many waifubait in highschool anime these days.

That's because 91 Days was a good concept bogged down by shitty execution. Every character except Nero sucked ass, except maybe Nero's friend who died almost instantly.

It was really flawed, but there was no interest from the start. Same with Baccano, just not enough of an audience for an American Prohibition-era story.

Because they understand nothing will top Mad Bull 34.

>no archetype
Just because they aren't otaku pandering ones doesn't mean they aren't archetype.
The Fed guy in Monster for instance.

Some folks just don't have the patience to watch a slow burn paced mystery unfold.

Um, Master Keaton not only got the entire series translated, but it even got a super high quality dub that really adds to the European feel

>The Fed guy
Who?

/thread

Jormungand was the war/battle fantasies of a sheltered 12 year old child that never held a gun.

No Fed's in your country? It's pretty common slang in English, Spanish, German etc.

Do you think I'm European?
Why do you think Runge is an archetype? I've never seen Runge-like character in any highschool anime.

There are archetypes besides what are common to your chinese cartoons user.

I loved how he got genuinely obsessed over the case and how dangerous someone like that would be if actually let off the chain.

Because your average person doesn't have the patience to sit through a slow burning show.

I only watch anime, user.

What's his archetype? Workalcoholic obsessional cop with slight touches of autism?
It's probably not the most original type of character but not a cliche either.

>Baccano has supernatural shennanigans
Really pissed me off.
And I had just finished pic related, which made it even worse by comparison.

I could've sworn Shanghai Bund got an anime, but I think I'm just confusing it for something else.

This.

Archetype and Cliche are two different things.
Hardboiled Cop is an archetype.

It sounds cliche but I think its ultimately a case of series that are made with a mindset for "Japanese Audiences that want a Western plot" to "Anime made for Toonami". We can all sputter and shout about how Cowboy Bebop is overrated but at the end of the day things like Big O S2 and Space Dandy were specifically made to draw in Western audiences rather than Nips. Though ultimately its an issue of perspective I guess.

I used cliche because the archetypes listed in this thread are mostly negative/bad/bullshit.
Hardboiled cop isn't as disruptive as cyborg loli gunners or supernatural powers that make all power dynamics meaningless.