What settings do you use for Scaling in MadVR for anime?

What settings do you use for Scaling in MadVR for anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

files.nyaa.se/HOW_DO_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
imouto.my/tutorials/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/#checklist
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MadVR distorts original image i.e. you watch an anime not as intended. Don't use it.

Madvr is a meme.

the mpv setting

Why does a lot of people use MadVR for anime then? Doesn't it improve the quality?

Madvr is garbage. Just use EVR.

Why is it garbage and why should i use EVR?

ignore the other anons, MadVR is much better than the alternatives
make sure you get reclock too

>chroma upscaling
NNEDI3 16 neurons
>image upscaling
Jinc AR
>dithering
Error Diffusion Option 1 with colored noise

if you get render times below 30ms you can turn up the neuron count or change the image upscaling to NNEDI3 as well

Placebo

NNEDI3 64 neurons
Jinc AR
Error Dif. 2

>files.nyaa.se/HOW_DO_I_PLAYED_BACK.txt
Daiz approved settings.

I'm a noob with MadVR.
What does Reclock do?
Whats the difference of NNEDI3 and NGU?
Why do render times matter?
I am using these settings for Upscaling but if I choose any other option other than DXVA2 for Downscaling my GPU goes 100% usage and the video drops frames, lags. How can I fix this? Do I need a better GPU?

>Go to "scaling algorithms" and select "NGU" with "Anti-Alias, medium quality" in the "chroma upscaling" submenu
I tried this but it made me drop frames like a motherfucker, even with a decent-ish GPU.

This only covers the basics of the settings, there more settings to change for personal preference like image enchanting catagory and if you got a good computer then you can put settings higher

Got high render times, what GPU should I get to fix this? My R9 390 isn't enough

ok so the render time is how long it takes to render each frame
in a 23.976 framerate video (i.e pretty much all american/japanese film/tv) a frame is shown every 41.7083750417 seconds, meaning that the render time should be below that

reclock will cause you to not drop/repeat frames due to clock deviation

NNEDI3 and NGU are different algorithms, I prefer NNEDI3 because it's more efficient and I have a old setup

make sure that in LAV video settings you're using hardware acceleration, and you'll probably want to use DXVA2 copyback

this guy's lav megamix imouto.my/tutorials/watching-h264-videos-using-compute-unified-device-architecture-cuda/#checklist has a bunch of profiles for different computer setups. Assuming your computer is similar to the profile setups, you can just select it and it should be fine.

>itt hipsters
MPC is fine. VLC is fine.

what game is that on the background?

Age of Empires 3

I've heard that reclock manipulates the video and audio speeds to match a certain framerate that is more compatable with the display you're using which make the video play more smoother. I don't think I would want this.

trust me you would
it's a .1% difference in speed to change it from 23.976 to 24
what is the refresh rate of your monitor?

60Hz, would I have to uninstall MadVR and reinstall it against and tick the Reclock install option if I wanted Reclock?
Also it seems Nvidia's hardware decoder CUDA provides better playback video quality than AMD's DXVA2, what Nvidia GPU should I go for if I wanted the most demanding setting for MadVR?

I wouldn't recommend using CUDA as nvidia has deprecated support for it

you don't have to reinstall MadVR, just download reclock 1.6 and install it

since your monitor is 60hz, I'd recommend turning on switch to matching display mode and add 1080p48 to the line

oh and if you're watching anime with a 60hz monitor you're going to get jerky playback because 60 is not a multiple of 24

How's SVP for anime at 60fps compare to using reclock? What are the downsides to using it?

SVP uses interpolation, meaning it creates frames that don't exist
i.e it's literally shit tier
also it means your render times have to be below 16.6666666667 ms

Consumer video is lossy, so every renderer distorts the original image. The question is how well. For example, scaling. Unless your display perfectly matches the file, it must be resampled. How well that can be done depends on the algorithm used. What's more, pretty much any consumer video, even Blu-Ray, also uses chroma subsampling. This means the 2 color channels are stored in a lower resolution than the black and white image, which the eyes are more sensitive to. Typically you see the color resolution as half the luma. This means even a 1080p video on 1080p monitor needs scaling. Stock renderer might use bilinear or bicubic scaling, but NNEID3in MadVR and MPV give far superior results, especially in anime.

Another is a de-ringing filter which is built into the decoder for most modern codecs. This is one of the reasons you see people talking about different decoders in this thread - in an extreme example, you can turn off this filter in VLC to save CPU, and see just how the 'original image' looks then. The stock players are always a compromise between performance and compatibility targeted at a common denominator. With madVR is that that we don't have to compromise so much anymore. Color banding is solved, unless you have an abysmal source file.

I mean come on mate, why are you giving advice when you do not even know what this program does?

MadVR is for video enthusiasts. It can provide a much better experience than a stock renderer, OR MUCH WORSE, depending on your settings and hardware. You need an expensive GPU and, more importantly, to know what the fuck you are doing. Most of what you need to know is in the documentation or a wiki. The developers discuss the minute details on a megathread at doom9 if you want to know even more. These sources may not explain the basics of how digital video works though, you're expected to know this shit already if you are even looking for a custom renderer.

Seen some videos of SVP, looks pretty good. Gonna have to go with Reclock though, my gpu isn't good enough for it. Did I correctly input my monitor settings?

Depends on the difference in frame rate. In Europe, during the CRT era, they used 50hz. American 24hz movies would just be sped up to 25 when released there, and no one noticed or cared. So 23.9 to 24 would be nothing.

Use CPU decoding. It's the best, and anything recent should be able to handle it.

That's worth a try. Some monitors will only overclock - in that case try 72hz. Some will stay at 60 and just drop/add frames as needed. In this case you are best with 3:2 pulldown for anime.

a 390 is fine, you are probably using intensive settings. Also a 60 fps video requires lower settings than 24 fps since each frame comes so much quicker. You should make a madvr profile.

Also check your CPU usage to make sure that's not the reason.

>video enthusiasts
They're worse than audiophiles.

What is this faggotry

I don't upscale. I always play back anime on a display that is 1:1 with the original media. For anime that was originally recorded on film I use a projector.

lol

Looks cool.

The average TV has better scaling support than MadVR. Go away.

what kind of monitors are you using that let you overclock to 72hz from 60hz?

looks good, give it a try. If the video looks better now, you've won. If it looks worse or the same, you are either not sensitive enough (not likely) or your monitor can't actually change clocks.

then leave use alone and continue streaming from crunchyroll on your smartphone with the included earbuds or whatever it is you did to harm your eyes so badly

citation needed.

normal ones. I have a dell ultrasharp ips.

MY 4790k CPU never hits 100%, its mostly below 50% most of the time. My GPU hit 100% usage and the fans revs up, whats a recommended gpu?

well if you aren't willing to change your settings, just by the fastest one available. Right now that's the GTX 1080TI. But even that will drop frames if you use the most ludicrous settings.

What is the latest Reclock version? I am seeing 1.9.0.0

He says it while putting video filters on a downloaded stream. Stay on doom9, retard.

you watch downloaded streams? I'm so sorry for you

Using the settings that are on Nyaa's playback guide. Anyone got any better presets I could follow? Using an RX 480, if that matters.

spoonfeed me pls

Learn the settings so you can set them to your own perferences and according to your GPU and CPU

It seems you didn't understand when I said the first time: ALL VIDEO PLAYBACK REQUIRES FILTERS. Try settings your encoder to use no filters and enjoy the gibberish! Do you even know what a filter IS, you triple nigger? Did you stop learning maths in kindergarten? You are obviously beyond saving, but I can't allow you to dominate the discussion of video playback on this forum whose entire culture revolves around it. Why are you babbling to strangers about this thing you haven't even begun to understand? What made you think your advice was worth a shit, and that you WOULDN'T be ridiculed for it once somebody noticed your hilarious stupidity?

Also, I only watch Blu-Rays and Blu-Ray rips.

Any settings that should be changed or should it be left to defult?

>forum
It's a image board, you fucking autist. Go back to masturbating pixels.

just set it to turn 23.9 fps into 24 fps. That's all you need to worry about with anime.

Just download media player home cinema and watch the highest quality rips you can download and watch on your tv.

you can change the PCM audio interface to Directsound if you're annoyed that when you have MPC open you won't be able to play audio on any other program

I am trying to change the audio render to Reclock, but its not there. please tell how

try installing it

just checking, you aren't using the 64 bit version of MPC are you?

I am

reclock is only available in 32bit im afraid

-_---------------------------------
Would changing my monitor to 48hz make a difference without reclock? Also how would I know there was a change?

Yes it would as 48 is closer to a multiple of 23.976 than 60 is

The key stats here are clock deviation and 1 frame drop every 1.02 hours

If your setup is correct, your clock deviation should be low and you shouldn't be repeating/dropping frames more than once every 8 minutes or so.

When you watch 23.976 fps content on a 60hz monitor, something happens called a 3:2 pulldown, where for every 4 frames another one is created, shifting the composition rate to 29.97 fps. This creates the jerkiness that you might notice when watching at 60hz.

reclock will not time stretch your 24hz anime to 20hz, 30hz or 60hz unless you change the settings, because speed increase of like 8% is too much for most people to tolerate. At that point 3:2 is preferable. It's meant to be used in conjunction with a monitor with a more suitable refresh rate.

I've setted as in the picture but my frame drop is only around 43 seconds, what did I do wrong?

did you restart your video player after applying those settings? I can see that your display is still at 60hz

yeah I closed it then opened it again

strange
I could try to help you find the issue but desu it's easier to just go into Catalyst and change the refresh rate to 48hz manually

>that NGU placebo horseshit
sausage daiz, awful taste as always

your clo-ck deviation percentage is further away from 0 than mine is, how is it only dropping frames every 1.02 hours?

Just use super-xbr (25) with adaptive sharpen, it's almost on par with waifu2x even and is quite fast.

SVP is fine for pans/zooms (Ken Burns effect). It creates artifacts with anything else. The key is using the proper settings.

This is subhuman shit on the level of the vedditors that force 60fps in video files.

The throw it in the thrash setting.

use vlc it just werks

I've been using SVP for 3 months and holy shit, most anime do just move at like 7 frames for second.
SVP is good for SoL, or any with just panning shots but when action/fight scenes involved, it has barely any difference.
Unless if it's a well-budget TV series or anime.

/thread
VLC or MPC, either work fine
I like that people are pushing the envelope for more and faster pixels but come on, if you want your anime to look better download the 1080s or just buy the blurays.