Why did you gave up on learning Japanese, anons?

Why did you gave up on learning Japanese, anons?
You could have read so many beautiful manga right now.

Other urls found in this thread:

coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi
jisho.org/#radical
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent
kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kanji sucks.

well you see OP, i am extremely lazy and unmotivated, which is the reason i am a NEET and have so much spare time to watch japanese animes
I went as far as looking at the djt OP once but i didn't actually do anything

Too much work.

It's just one hour a day anons.

But I did learn it and beat Persona 5 months before EOPs could get their grubby hands on it. Never felt so accomplished in my life.

shit memory

GRE
drawing
coding
7-3 job.
I'm still learning, but there's so much kanji

Never started and don't know how/where to

i recommend this before taking anything seriously, it changed my life.
coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn

i know how to learn, i just cant remember shit

then check the link, r-tard it has lessons on that.

japanese is an utterly uselss language since no one really speaks their moonrunes outside of their little island nation.

if i really want to learn something i would learn something that's actually useful instead of japanese. Like french, or spanish. Hell if asian culture is your shit learn chinese or korea. Those at least make fucking sense and are easier to pick up at certain levels.

the point of learning nip isn't accomplishing something with your life, it is enjoying your free time more by being able to consume weeb media

>pay for course
sounds like bullshit and shilling

it's free, r-tard.

I'm working on it. But I'm kind of stupid, so its coming along slowly.

No Japanese teacher in my high school.

Had a Russian one though, but she quit when OIF started because she didn't want to work for 'warmongers'.

How does one learn nip in only 3 months?

I didn't give up, though I was pretty lazy on my kanjis this week. I can understand about 30% of a tomo-chan chapter now, feels good man.

This, why can't it just all be hira and kata

because i started learning japanese to make me feel interesting, it actually worked when flirting (and managed to not be cringe)

but then i lost interest in having gf's so i didnt find any real reason to learn japanese besides money

Because then every peasant would be able to learn how to write and you can't have that.

But I didn't give up.

I like anime/manga not japanese

I didn't give up.
I did however just stop improving and now I can't find the energy to climb off this plateau.

please dont post "t**d", friend

>tfw had the opportunity to learn nip in high school but picked french instead
>several friends and gf were in anime club but i rarely visisted
>only became weeb after graduating and becoming hikkiNEET
i have so many regrets

The worst thing about Japanese is their nightmarish penchant for making up slang and dialectic pronunciations which are only comprehensible to themselves.

>おめえやおいん名を学べはりたくんのかい?
>what
>lol it's kansai u just don't get it
No, you just don't know how to unify a fucking language.

Why should I bother with Japanese when there's several thousand visually-unique words to learn as a base and then 30 different ways to write the same sentence, depending on where and who you are? I'll learn the language more completely when it's become unified enough to be comprehensible on the same scale as, say, German or Russian. As it is now, I'll simply stand at the gate to full comprehension and warn people not to go in. Knowing the percentage of Japanese students who drop out of the classes: I think it is only right to say that the language needs a gatekeeper even more than it needs a fuckin comprehensive dictionary/thesaurus.

The more I learn Japanese, the more I realize what we call "translating Japanese" is more like deciphering moonrunes. "Middle Country" is deciphered into "China" for us English speakers

Because the word "kakeru" means a shitton of different words and context isn't gonna help every time. Even now, context fucks them up big time when they speak.
Kanji was one of the greatest additions to a shitty fucking language.

Does an hour a day really do anything?

retaaaaaaaaard
look at this bwaakaaa

the dumbest fuckin word for 'foreigners' in Nip:
>南蛮

Explicitly refers to the South, but does not actually require the referred person[s] to be from the South.

>I'll learn the language more completely when it's become unified
He writes in the language whose dictionaries explicitely divide words and their spellings into british and american.

The Japanese people don't have large enough brains to remember how to pronounce more than 50 syllables, which is why "Light novel" becomes "raito noberu" and also why their language is so plagued with homophones.

Meanwhile Korean also originally had a writing system based on Chinese, but their language allows combining consonants and vowels to make 500+ syllables so they can actually write words phonetically without confusing themselves.

obligatory

More than that actually does less unless you're living in the country. People get tired and forget easily.

I haven't learned all kana yet but meanwhile im using Michel Thomas' audio course and its comfy as hell, listening every night before sleeping.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignoratio_elenchi

Wow, I'm really impressed with your knowledge of latin phrases and your skill in googling them, but I really don't think I missed the point. The point you seemed to be making is "japanese is not a uniform language and dialects are confusing" and you say this in english, which is a language so nonuniform that there are actually two discrete variants. And in japanese at least the pronounciation of the kanji is the same between dialects, which isn't something you can say about english accents.

Cunt.

I didn't give up.
My method is to sit down with a dictionary and links to grammar guides and just read manga and books I like. I started with things that I had read before in English, so I'd have some safety net, but now I can read most things pretty well. I'll let you know how far I get using this method, but it's been almost a year and I'm pretty happy with my progress.*

*Note that I took a year of Japango and two years of Chinkgo in high school, so I already knew kana, baby grammar, and a couple hundred random kanji.
Most vitally, I was comfortable with reading characters.
Whatever method you're using, if you look at a kanji, you should be able to search it using this format: jisho.org/#radical
If you can't, I strongly recommend you practice until you can. Characters are meant to be remembered as combinations of radicals. That's why natives get confused by dumb shit like where to put the dot in 犬 but have no problem recognizing 劇.
[It's the only kanji that contains both 豕 and the radical that looks like リ]

>English
>Two variants
pffffahahaha
Put a Californian, a Londoner, a Welshman, a Jamaican, and an Alabaman in a room together.

The first two will understand each other a hell of a lot more clearly than everyone else does.

>english, which is a language so nonuniform that there are actually two discrete variants
No, it's not; no, there aren't
Do you have any idea what the difference is?
"colour: color" is your 'variance'.

> in japanese at least the pronunciation of the kanji is the same between dialects
No, it most certainly is not
Have you ever heard the Japanese language before, or are you just making shit up

Learn English or Japanese before you speak of English or Japanese

Well yeah, two officially recognized variants, you won't see words labeled LoE, WeE, JaE or AlE in a dictionary.

Ask them to write down "colo(u)r" and you'll see the difference assuming the jamaican is literate

>officially recognized
Unlike many languages, English has no official governing/regulatory body

And anyways it's less about color/colour and more about, say "pants" or "chips" or "fanny" which mean totally different things in different regions.

oh yeah and "quite", surprisingly

>No, it's not; no, there aren't
There are distinctions in dictionaries, there is definitely a split. There are differences in spelling, pronounciation, exact meanings of words (pants, for example), slightly different grammatical structures and a boatload of other differences.

And you're right, I don't know much about japanese, but since you evidently do, why don't you give me some examples of words with different readings in different accents?

Haven't, but the thought tempts me whenever I watch anime raw. I can read anything that isn't historical or dialect heavy but making out the words in anime makes me unhealthy levels of mad. I will sit there replaying the same line for 20 minutes and can never ever ever ever ever ever fucking make out the word I'm tripping up on.

>there is definitely a split
no but ok

This is the lowest-level stuff, so, read these if you actually care; don't if you don't

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai_dialect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_pitch_accent

>In some cases, Kansai dialect uses entirely different words. The verb hokasu corresponds to standard Japanese suteru "to throw away", and metcha corresponds to the standard Japanese slang chō "very".
>Accent and tone are the most variable aspect of Japanese dialects. Some have no accent at all; of those that do, it may occur in addition to a high or low word tone.[3]

really, kansai dialect is the most famous variant and it just sounds like a jap attempting to sound like a farmer. Meanwhile, English has fucking Scottish Irish, English, Jamaican, and that's without counting India or other similar countries that have recently adopted it. Japanese varies far less than English. Which makes sense, as it's just a little island.

kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=subtitles/japanese/

Pitch accent is just that: an accent. It doesn't change meaning, just ease of comprehension.

I am truly glad I learned nip and no longer have to rely on scanlators. My backlog grows larger everyday and I get to enjoy series and authors who will never get scanlated. Most of my favorite series are untranslated ones.
On top of that I also get to enjoy the content that gets lots in translation. Feels good.

Centre, Center. Colour, Color. Aluminum Aluminium. Git, Fuckhead.Yeah, real hard.

Because I know it will never amount to anything.

Austrailia seems to have the most out there slang. They have slang for everything. Bille, Jumper, Root,Dunny, Maccas. It makes it more fun imo. Of course the Cockney influenced it.

Because I lost all my progress on anki and couldn't be assed to start again even though i was just like 600 words in

Say it with me. UNIFORM, ALPHABET. Even the Koreans standardized their shit thanks to Sejong the Great.

I'm way too lazy.

No. You need to be experiencing the Japanese language in some form for at least 6 hours a day to learn anything.

I've lived in Japan for several years.

It's impossible to learn, and outside of reading manga and knowing how to flirt, it's a largely pointless language.

One hour is for Anki reps. You should start reading when you finish Core2k while mining new words, and that's going to take you another 3 hours a day. Continue this for a year or two and you'll become proficient in the language. Not sure why people are sugarcoating the difficulty of Japanese. It's the hardest language to learn for European language speakers alongside Arabic and Chinese.

>You should start reading when you finish Core2k
If people are doing this, it's no wonder they're giving up. You should start reading as soon as possible and keep doing Anki. Just use a text hooker for the words you don't know yet.
What terrible advice.

Pretty much anything that interests me gets translated.

'Scottish English' is its own language; ignore that one, specifically.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scots_language

Regardless, my argument wasn't/isn't that there are or are not variants to other languages - it was that Japanese actively creates its own variations on its own theme. Words like "wasshoi", "meccha" and "zunto" aren't even in standard dictionaries, but the average Japanese person can be expected to know them. I find it bizarre, and extremely counterintuitive to learning the language. It happens in English as well, but far less frequently: the only example which I can think of off of the top of my head is "on fleek". That's really my point here: Japanese linguistic novelty tends to be born, frequently, out of loanwords and arbitration; such words are refined in the oral tradition and not added to any databases or linguistic resources, so it's extremely hard to track down origins and/or definitions of any of them.

Learned it. Moved to Japan. Currently weebing it up. Kanji are fucking great, anyone saying otherwise knows literally no moon and should stop talking about it.

I never said, or meant to imply, that it changed meaning. I was asked to give examples of "words with different readings in different accents"; I thought the concept of pitch accent might provide another, unique perspective on the idea proposed in the question.

>tfw being chink
>tfw japanese is like a piece of cake

>Why did you gave up on learning Japanese, anons?
I haven't yet, but I can't seem to get motivated to do anything other than anki reviews lately.

>Just use a text hooker
This is the worst advice you can give. People become so reliant on it as a handicap, rather than a tool.

You shouldn't read anything longer than several sentences for the first few months if you're self-studying and not a NEET. It's too overwhelming and burns people out.

How many girls did you fuck while there?

If you become reliant on it that's your own fault and it can be easily fixed. If a texthooker does enough for you, then so be it. If you want to improve in the language and be free from it, you'll drop it.

Not seeing the fruits of their labor or finding any enjoyment to the language is what kills motivation and makes people quit. Not reading is like not using kanji on day one, there's absolutely no reason to avoid it. Reading 10-20 pages of easy shit that you enjoy isn't overwhelming at all.

Scotland speaks both Scottish and English.
The English they speak is a unique dialect.

yes but japanese doesn't have enough separate syllables for spelling shit phonetically to work out

My uni's making me take first year Japanese again even though I completed the equivalent classes in high school. I'll be taking the whole first year over the summer.

>It's impossible to learn
This just means "i gave up on learning", doesn't it?

The general advice for language learning if you're actually in the foreign country already is "learn just enough to make basic conversation and sound like a retard, find some native japanese-speaking friends (do NOT spend your time around a bunch of americans), then abandon english and go 100% japanese until you eventually stop sounding like a retard"
if you lean on english like a crutch then you will never learn japanese

Presumably, you did not read the link. I believe you're thinking of something else, which is this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Gaelic

Do some research into it; "Scottish English" and "Scots" are, in a way, the same thing - they're extremely close-together on a dialectic chain. Personally, I perceive "Scottish English" as a more 'honorific' or 'educated' form of Scots.

Moonreaders, is there something like mangaupdates for raw scans? I've been just reading stuff off of sen for practice.

Just download from nyaa or cafe.

>ypu will never see Dungeon meshi localized in English
Good thing I speak Korean

I guess はるか夢の址.

I was up to around 900 when I quit like 4 years ago and I'll tell myself about once a year I'll start again and get 2 days in a row and quit. I suck at discipline.

>900 words

could you read Yotsuba?

No way man, I'm already having a hard time trying to complete my backlog (which consists of like 150 manga), without knowing Japanese.

I would drown in semen from continuous masturbating

Same, my productivity would go to complete shit if I learned Japanese.