Scottish People

Are these people Celts or should they be considered Germanic like England is?

They're Gaels.

Yes, but a good number of English people are Celts too.

Identity is a complicated matter.

Anglo celt

Most English DNA is likely Celtic. My question is more about the Scottish being considered a Celtic nation, especially since Lowland Scots seem to have their fair share of DNA from Anglos and even other Germanic groups.

Celto-Germanic, perhaps?

Celtic-Germanic-American here. It’s real.

Before they were celtic - pic related.

This is a map of the main Celtic groups in Britain before the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons.

Red = Brittonic areas
Blue = Pictish areas
Green = Goidelic areas

Without factoring in the non-Celtic DNA, I don’t know if it would be right to exclusively call them Gaelic.

just who were the Picts anyway?

Does anyone really even know or is it just scholars blindly guessing about shit?

a Scottish clan.

it's like asking the difference between the north and south in the USA.

not really m8, the anglo saxons did a pretty good job of genociding all the romano-brits in their territories

They were one of the main Insular Celtic groups who probably had the least influence of the three. They gradually merged with the Gaels overtime while the Lowlands remained Brittonic (not to mention the non-Celtic groups living there) for a while longer.

I’m pretty sure the idea of Scottish people being painted blue comes from them and they are also credited with legends of terrifying the Romans.

they came from proto-german,as did the Germans, Franks, Gaelic and other Celts, Slav, Scandinavians, and Spaniards. the Latins, Greeks, Persians and nearly every Mediterranean people came from a different branch of the Caucasians.

In that case, the entirety of Eastern Lowland Scotland would be Anglo, considering how the Kingdom of Northumbria occupied a huge chunk of Lowland Scotland.

From the study of place names it seems they are a Celtic group, possibly from an even older wave of celtic migration than the main one that populated Britain.

They're almost as Germanic as the English

The emphasis on tartans and Highlander culture is an artifact of last 150 years or so, but most of Scots culture is from lowlanders, who were formed from the northernmost Anlgo-Saxon settlements merging with local Britons and Scots on the same basis as happened in England (i.e. Anglo-Saxon supremacy, Britons assimilated to their language and norms)

Scots as a language is arguably more Germanic than modern English, and is definitely closer to Anglo-Saxon than modern English (preserves many words that were lost in English like bairn (child), ken (know), greet (cry) etc).

But neither English or Scots are very Germanic DNA-wise, Anglo-Saxons account for only about 35% of ancestry of modern English.

And both Celts and Germanics are pretty similar, being result of tail-end of IE expansion into Europe. Proto-Britons made the trip to Britain about 4.5k years ago, very efficiently killing of the previous population who built the megaliths like Stonehenge. Then 3k years later some of their Germanic cousins who had stayed on the continent made the trip.

>Proto-Britons made the trip to Britain about 4.5k years ago, very efficiently killing of the previous population who built the megaliths like Stonehenge
Is there a good genetic/archaeological case for this?

We are not one people despite romantic notions that we are all Highlanders in Kilts speaking Gaelic, it's not true.

Original population was Brythonic but Gaels form Ireland and Angles of Northumbria came and populated and mixed, as well as Danes, Norwegians, and Flemish and Normans.

People originating from the central belt south or east of the grampians may have no Gael in them at all.

Safe to say we are a Celt/Germanic mix I suppose.

>People originating from the central belt south or east of the grampians may have no Gael in them at all.
I'm pretty sure most people have some highland ancestry in the lowlands, if not at least a grandparent then almost certainly some ancestry within the past 200 years because of the scale of the clearances.

>merging with local Britons and Scots
WHAT?>
Only foreigners see this land a s separate place you fuckwits.

>But neither English or Scots are very Germanic DNA-wise, Anglo-Saxons account for only about 35% of ancestry of modern English
But what about other Germanic groups who settled Britain? Scotland received signifanct migrations from the Scandinavians, Flemish, Frisians, etc. and that is not to mention Vikings raids and settlements in mainly Northern and Western Scotland (Eastern side was already affected by Anglos and such).

The Outer Hebrides, the modern Gaelic stronghold today, got heavily settled by the Norse back in the day.

They are germanic peoples larping as celts. Scots really are the most pathetic people around, somebody needs to tell them that they are not celts.

Perhaps some, but given that highlanders were predominantly Catholic and the lowlands were Protestant, there wasn't a great deal of intermarriage. Things were relatively fanatical back then. Most who ere clearances I think ended up emigrating, but I'm sure many ended up in the cities too and mixed as you say, many with later waves of Irish Catholics.

>marxist deconstructionist argument against white identity detected

The English are not Germanic they are Brythonic just like the rest of the British isles 3/4 of their ansestors are Brythonic