Rakugo

Here's a question, why was this animated?

Yes it's a beautiful masterwork of craft and skill, but in what way did the medium help the storytelling? Everything could have been acted out instead and shot live action.

Try to answer something other than just "2D>3D"

>it's a beautiful masterwork of craft and skill

Here's a better question:

Why not?

What did the medium of animation add to Rakugo?

>Everything could have been acted out instead and shot live action.

Well sure, but why does every show have to justify its medium?

If anything it shows that anime IS capable of showing realistic and understated drama. It doesn't have to be adventurous or over-the-top or abstract, it fills a very particular niche.

What would being live-action would've added to Rakugo?

The metaphorical and spiritual scenes would've bee harder to do with live action and 3DCG. It would've been hard to find daytime TV actors who can produce the same emotions that animated characters can. It was adapted from a manga, so it's more faithful to the source to keep it 2D.

Also, what would the medium of live action film have added to Rakugo?

Medium specificity is a spook.

Answer this, OP.

It made the few supernatural scenes looks good instead of the terrible CG they would have been if the show was live action.

It's a multi-generational story as well, and it's way easier to just draw an older or younger version of a character instead of having to find a whole different actor who looks like a younger/older version of the character and who can act well.

>and it's way easier to just draw an older or younger version of a character instead of having to find a whole different actor who looks like a younger/older version of the character and who can act well.
What is make-up?

>what would the medium of live action film have added to Rakugo

Well real human faces and bodies are capable of more nuanced expressions since you don't have to worry about animated every single motion. For a show that relies on nuanced expressions that would be a huge benefit.

Still, it's not necessarily a good idea because it's easier to make animated characters act the way you want them to act. All you have to worry about is voice acting. Live actors bring in a slew of complications.

>What is make-up?
Inherently inferior to being able to completely restructure a character's entire face and body using animation.

I didn't make-up could back a 30-year-old character look like a child, or vice versa.

Then just get a different actor

What animated show doesn't rely on the expressivity of its characters? It doesn't matter whether the face is hyperrealistic or an emoticon :) a smile is a smile, a sad face is a sad face, a sad smile is a sad smile. Both animators and actors can accurately convey nuanced expressions.
So, the medium of live action film brings nothing to the table. Thanks for confirming what we already knew.
/thread

>Both animators and actors can accurately convey nuanced expressions.
No they can't, 99% of animation is poorly done

Still worse than being able to recreate a character's entire person at a different age using animation.

Because KIKU CAME IN KONATSU

digibro, is that you posting rhetorically again?

Digiwho?

better to report and hide than to feign ignorance

Hopefully I don't get banned for this shit again...should've hid in a hole

>a smile is a smile, a sad face is a sad face, a sad smile is a sad smile

You have no idea what you're talking about. Do you even understand how much information humans process from just looking at facial lines? Anime VERY seldom gives faces definition, and even then it would be absurdly difficult to animate microexpressions like slightly drooping eyelids and lip curls etc., all of which can take place within the space of a second as a person reacts to something.

You're VASTLY oversimplifying how complex body language and facial expression can be, probably because you're autistic yourself.

Also,

>What animated show doesn't rely on the expressivity of its characters?

Anime does this in a very stylized, clearly readable way. It's partly a limitation of the medium and partly an artistic choice.

Simplistic expressions work in shows like Kaiji, where the boldness and strength of the emotion takes precedence over realistic nuance. When Kaiji gets fucked over you can fucking FEEL it because of how over-the-top he looks when he's gritting his teeth and crying. You could perhaps do something similar with live actors, but again you'd have the issue of capturing just the right moment of expression.

Yes it's a beautiful masterwork of craft and skill, but in what way did the medium help the storytelling? Everything could have been acted out instead and shot live action.

>Yes it's a beautiful masterwork of craft and skill

3D girls are not moe

Because creative freedom is a thing that exists, you pretentious twat.

That's like, your opinion man. Japanese animation might lack actual animation, but its characters rarely lacked expressivity. That's what the big eyes are for. Animators are trained to make the characters act.

I was only oversimplifying because I thought I'd go for the simpler example to understand.
Are you saying you never saw an anime character with lips curling and eyelids drooping? Seriously? Just watch more anime, pleb.
Ultimately those microexpressions you're talking about are just like the sounds of the millions of water droplets from the sea crashing on the sand. You don't register all of them separately, your subconscious only makes out the general impression you retire of this myriad of sounds And that's the sound of the sea. Well it's the same thing for the expression of a character. Not being able to render the infinity of microexpressions you're talking about ultimately doesn't matter as long as you can get the general impression right.

>You could perhaps do something similar with live actors
No you can't. That's part of the reason why I think animation is superior to live action. You say anime is limited by its artstyle, but live action is also limited by its actors. You can't make an actor cry torrents from his eyes in a sad scene, that would only come out as goofy, and throw people off.

Here's a question, why was this painted?

Yes it's a beautiful masterwork of craft and skill, but in what way did the medium help capture the image? It could have been photographed instead.

Try to answer something other than just "photography didn't exist in the 17th century"

>Are you saying you never saw an anime character with lips curling and eyelids drooping

I was just using a couple examples, google "microexpression" for gods sake. I've never seen an anime that can capture the totality of expression that human faces do, and if I did, it probably would barely qualify as anime.

And you never bothered addressing the issue of changing expressions in an instant, anime just doesn't do this well. In TV anime at least, characters don't smoothly change expression mid-dialogue, there are maybe a few frames dedicated to this and the rest are static images with a grunt or sigh to indicate that change.

I seriously encourage you to go take one of those autsim facial reading quizzes. Those microexpressions are the reason you can separate a tired person from a sad person, or a confused person from a scared person, or how you can tell if someone's lying. I'm out of my depth to talk about it further, but the simple fact that you can change your expression at any time means you can communicate more mixed emotions rather than just clear "happy/sad/scared/sceptical" ones.

Whatever, though some people would also say Kaiji is goofy.

Animating every single small detail gets incredibly expensive over time, which is likely the biggest reason as to why you don't see these "microexpressions" too often.

Though, frankly, I don't think portraying every single detail of reality is a thing that animation of any kind should be doing.

That's the point I made a few posts up, which is why live action can do things that anime can't. And vice versa, they both have unique strengths that can't easily be translated into one another.

You're just fucking naive if you think artists and animators can't draw a character with mixed emotions, and only actors can convey that. Are you sure you're not the autistic one here?
>And you never bothered addressing the issue of changing expressions in an instant
Well you never adressed this. I can't exactly discuss with you something you never mentionned, can I? I on the other hand did adress Leibniz's theories on small perceptions applied on microexpressions, but you feign inattentiveness so as, either, sparing yourself the need to find a counterargument, or avoid admitting you're wrong. Suit yourself.
Also don't forget to call me an autist in your next answer, it does make your arguments look stronger, and they need it.
Regarding the matter of changing expressions in an instant, frankly I have no idea what you're talking about. If anything, that sounds easier to do with animation than with live action.
Usually the animator will anticipate the expression change by squashing the face and then strech it into the new expression.

god you are an actual autist

I am suprised he put this much effort into reasoning with you
go be a fag somewhere else

>Leibniz's theories

Psychology and neuroscience have advanced a bit in the proceeding centuries, maybe you should look it up.

Yeah that part where he dies and a shinigami attacks him would have looked great in live action.

What is with anti rakugo shitters? It's fine if it doesn't appeal to you but stop trying to act like its bad.

The incest would never fly, NEVER FLY with real actors. Remember, old man fucking his best friend daughter, is not okay.

Thanks for your concern but no.

So basically you're just hoping some neuroscience article somewhere will disprove what I said and dump the task of proving myself wrong on me?
Boring. How fucking boring.

>Yeah that part where he dies and a shinigami attacks him would have looked great in live action.

It probably could be done, but that'd require a sense of direction that just doesn't exist anymore in the Japanese film industry.

>shitters

Are they gay?

There are still good japans directors, just not on tv.