Reading others shounen

>reading others shounen
>every main character is introduced in 2 chapters maximun with a bare minimun back story
>reading one piece
>every character has one or 2 entire arcs composed of volumes to their introducion
I guess this why One Piece is so successful?

Basically, yeah.

Every character also reinforces the primary theme of go chase your dream or die trying. I think that helps keep the story more focused even when going all over the world and meeting new and wacky people.

I have a friend, who isn't otherwise a stupid person, who thinks the OP anime is great, and it makes me sad everytime I see that kind of picture.

>read other battle manga
>they have actual fights that last more than a single panel/page and full fights that happen onscreen not offpanel

Nanatsu no taizai > one piece

just face your relic manga is never going to end and it became shit after the mangaka couldn't keep coming up with content after so many chapters.

here's your (you)

>reading one piece
>every character has a melodramatic, generic backstory told through shitty flashbacks
Fixed
Backstories can be nice but they can also be a hack's way to attempt to give characterization

It certainly let's you care about the main characters more.

>Every character getting a generic backstory instead of actually putting effort into their characterization
It's one of the worst things about OP and battle shounen in general

It's the same children drama over and over again.

(You)

>literally nazi fishmen
>children drama
please

The worldbuilding aspect of One Piece is more interesting though, I don't mind if we gloss through the battles to get to the good stuff

I watched about 400 episodes of One Piece about 3-4 years ago.

Is Luffy even pirating? It seems like most of the shit he does is heroic, but just constantly says "We're Pirates" If he said "We're Vigilantes and/or Treasure Hunters" he wouldn't be chased by the navy or in threat of the Death Penalty.

To me, One Piece seems like a flawed premise. I mean what laws has he broken? What justifies him being a pirate? Has he even killed or harmed innocent people?

Luffy's ideal is freedom and his interpretation of Pirate King is basically 'the man with the most freedom'. Luffy being an inept retard with super strength doing whatever he pleases across the entire world (including beating the shit out of random people he decides he doesn't like) is exactly why everyone wants him dead.

He has gone against the government and punched nobles and shit. You're mostly right, he's not really a pirate. He never does anything even remotelly evil, mostly because a shonen manga wouldn't have the balls to have a real pirate as a MC.

Heroes share their meat but luffy eats it all himself
He's a true pirate
not really he doesnt care about piracy, he just wants to be the freest man on the seas and that means being the pirate king

At this point he's mostly wanted by the WC to protect their own image and because he's harboring Nico Robin, which ties back into the first point.

He was impressed by pirates when he was young and is steadfast on wanting to be one. He's a simple a guy. It's also a typical east asian yin-yang type deal where the navy is just meant to oppose pirates and that makes a more interesting story I guess

>the navy is just meant to oppose pirates and that makes a more interesting story I guess
Not really. Most of the marines are portrayed as straight corrupt or crazy white and black extremists. And the ones that don't either abandon the marines like Aokiji or even ally with the MCs like Smoker.
I like One Piece but it's as standard as it gets in that regard. "We're the main characters so we GUD, they're the antagonists so they EVUL",

>Not really. Most of the marines are portrayed as straight corrupt or crazy white and black extremists

Most of the pirates are the same. The obsession with 正義 is out of obligation for duty. Duty to antagonize pirates.

I like the world-building.

>ot really. Most of the marines are portrayed as straight corrupt or crazy white and black extremists. And the ones that don't either abandon the marines like Aokiji or even ally with the MCs like Smoker.
>I like One Piece but it's as standard as it gets in that regard. "We're the main characters so we GUD, they're the antagonists so they EVUL",

^This

Most of the Marines (especialyl with the opposition from Aokiji, Fujitora, Smoker, even Coby i.e. the "good marines") are depicted as totalitarian justice that emphasizes traditional values and reputation as opposed to keeping the peace. The shichibukai system is out of date and corrupted, Akainu's brand of justice is basically Fascism (actually fascist in killing suboordinate marines for not immediately following orders, as opposed to the sjw "alt-right fascist") - even Marineford where Coby tried to stop the senseless battling that caused more harm than intended good for Marines.

World government is always a shady organization, the Gorosei and Tenryuubito are elitist to, as of yet, not have redeeming qualities and are just outright detestable. Whenever the Revolutionary Army is shown, it's almost always in a favorable light (Ivankov, Sabo, Koala, Robin's experience with them, Kuma, Dragon [when saving Sabo at least]).

One piece has a strong distrust of Marines/Government. I have no doubt Oda recognizes the inherent value in it, but so far it's pretty obvious that the good Marines will just end up sympathizing with the MC's in hopes of changing the government. It's a pretty standard "corrupt government must be replaced" sort of narrative, not the shades of gray type.

Do you think that the world government will be destroyed at the end? Maybe they'll offer it to Luffy, to become the World King, and he'll just say "I only want to be the Pirate King!"

>Nanatsu no taizai > one piece
True.

Definitively it's moving towards new world order.

The world government and marines/navy are different things.

>Maybe they'll offer it to Luffy, to become the World King, and he'll just say "I only want to be the Pirate King!"
No, honestly. Luffy being a pirate/criminal is what allows him to do whatever he wants. Granted, Luffy usually does the good thing anyways, but that's his choice in the end. Even offering him any sort of official/non-criminal status would just be out of left field, so I sincerely doubt Oda would even try it. Besides, I don't think the revolutionary army are anarchists, just against the current government. I wouldn't be surprised if the "overthrown" monarchies are replaced with democracies or something.

In that light, in the "end" there won't be a "world king" status.

>Do you think that the world government will be destroyed at the end?
Again, probably not. The world government is the coalition of independent states that go so far as have reveries to discuss world events and take each other into account. If it does get destroyed, another one will take its place - except this time it won't be run by the elite few gorosei and have a above-the-law-nobility like the tenryubiito, it'll probably be more democratic.

>The world government is the coalition of independent states that go so far as have reveries to discuss world events and take each other into account. If it does get destroyed, another one will take its place
That's probably the end game for the revolutionaries.

The music adds a lot to the series, and there are innumberable scenes that are done better in the anime.

The manga is superior overall sure, and the anime's pacing becomes unbearable in the later arcs but it still manages to capture important moments well.

>Character introduced
>Oh no they have a sad backstory
>Queue the same crying face they all have
>Luffy helps them
>Dont worry we are nakama now lol!

so deep

One Piece has been mediocre since marineforde. So it's been something like 7 years since the series has been any good, yet retards have the gall to compare to stuff like HxH which actually has zero bad arcs. Lol fuck off.

>exposition
>rising action
>climax
>falling action

oda fucking hack confirmed, no talent!