Is it even possible for anime to ever become mainstream outside of japan?

Is it even possible for anime to ever become mainstream outside of japan?

No and that's good. Everything that tries to appeal to the broad masses for quick cash turns to shit.
>inb4 muh secrit club

It already is.

Ask spics.

The right is Thailad you worthless autist. Go troll reddit you worthless piece of shit.

t. Asspained kraut

Why'd they censor the bathing suit? Is it haram in Germany or something?

It already is in some places, but you probably ask for America.
I'm not american, but I reckon it's a subculture of some kind for you (just like the pony thing a couple of years ago). The majority of young people have probably had a clash with anime at some point on the internet, and some may know how those "japanese 'toons" are called.
But there is a stigma behind anime (and anime watchers). It's going to be hard, and it's going to take years to make it appealing for the average person. That's exactly what companies like Crunchyroll are doing. They sponsor videos on Youtube and advertise themselves - this advertising is aimed at younger people; people who don't really know about the stigma I was talking about. They plan on fighting the stigma with overwhelming numbers.

That ain't picture from German version.

I genuinely hope that it never does, can or will.

It happened, Astro Boy. Speed Racer. DBZ. Sailor Moon. All these series are embedded into American pop culture.

In Italy some 80's anime are common knowledge

It isn't, though shit like violence sometimes got censored here. For example, Itachi didn't "annihilate" his clan, he "kidnapped" them. Or people get "defeated" instead of "killed".

>Hilarious because dude Germany is Muslim country
>hee hee hee
kys

It happened in France so why not?

>jojo tumblr memer getting butthurt at a joke
nigga calm down we can be politically incorrect here. its ok nigga.

They wouldn't want young boys exposed to something to repulsive like a girl without a burqa.

Komm runter Kumpel, wir sind auf Sup Forums. Kannst in der Hinsicht nicht mehr erwarten

That depends on what their target audience is, judging by ratings in my country, murder and heavy themes are okay for ages 12+ as long as it's not on-screen excessive violence (in which case it goes to 16+).
One has to keep the kiddies innocent.

I don't care which country is this. Why would they air anime like this at all if they're going to blur it? I didn't know it was a swimsuit until user pointed out. Did they blur their costumes and transformations as well?

Probably (hopefully) not. Many of the staples of anime and manga don't take root in the west. Western audiences like snarky heroes or grey scale villains. They don't like people that do their best within the borders of socially acceptable and strong hierarchy. Women acting feminine and bashful won't work either. They want act ready women that beat up men, not miss childhood friend that blushes. Add to that discussions whether a girl is pure and whether she actually kissed someone, and people are just confused.
Now hollywood is raping some japanese stories as well to burn the last bridges of mass appreciation so I'd say we're safe.

That's a fake image.

Here's the real version that aired in Germany.

Women beating up men is basically an entire genre in Japan. Not to mention its really not true that Americans want that.

The purity thing is the only actually incompatible element there. I'd really like to see reactions to that though. Oh yeah I guess the snarky hero thing is also true.

It depends if it gets made mainstream

I am not American either. So I really don't get this supposed stigma.
But Americans really do seem to be very culturally sensitive. I recall back when Young Justice was new for instance, and people went ballistic over it looking like "anime" and how it somehow didn't look American. Even when the designs were drawn and designed by Americans. It's like they wouldn't accept anything as their own for as long as it didn't look 1:1 to the cartoons they grew up with or something. While rejecting anything that looked different.

LatAm market alone justified re-hiring old VA to dub both Dragon Ball Super movies and even get them on movie theaters.

Animé is mainstream in Latin America

>I'd really like to see reactions to that though.

>welcome to another show of chat with vicar Matt. Today, is anime the way to instill the values of our lord, we discuss it with our expert in anime

America, despite being a proud multikulti country, somehow doesn't accept foreign culture unless it's fucked up beyond recognition.
If anime manages to become mainstream there, it would be because it's no longer anime. It would have to be tailor-made for the americans in order to reach the "mainstream" status. Would they really do that? I don't think so. It's as likely as america not obsessing over bacon and burgers, but over tofu and salads.
You could say that anime and manga are a part of Japan's identity. They will not sell themselves out; they have their pride.

Yes, every casual and normie who tells you they like anime but have only seen sailor moon/dbz/ whatever the fuck else was on tv.

Bullshit

Most people here just know Dragon Ball and Pokemon, maybe even Yo-Kai watch if they ever caught Disney XD when flipping through channels.

Shonenshit has a cult following, everything else is practically obscure to LatAm.

>actually using the word "normie"
Jesus.

Here is your reply

You should go to cons, yoy might be surprised to check how many people with their families actually attend. People in LatAm knows about Suzumiya or Gurren Lagann. While I concede that Shonen is basically the most popular genre and people are not that into moe or slice-of-life stuff, anybody knows what is anime.

Hell, people flock en masse when they hear their favorite VA will perform live on a con.

Fuck off normalfag

That's better.

It's mainstream as fuck here in SEA.

Thanks Ahmed.

Any honor killings today?

It already is. The real issue is the shows/material that aren't mainstream being phased out. Thankfully, that's not happening.

Censoring it only makes my penis harder.

It's mainstream but not in the sense that American comics or their movies are mainstream with the faux geek-hipster crowd.

>It already is.
Not everywhere. You'll regularly find anons getting upset at the thought of their secret club not actually being secret at all, because they can't fathom that the world isn't limited to their own little country.

It already is. The USA xenophobic market != the western world.

>people who don't really know about the stigma I was talking about.
if even Sup Forums has to deal with the whole "weebshit" gestapo, you bet the younger gen that rot most of their time on facebook and twitter is already working to kill it just to fit in.

The chances are: No
If Japan is not willing to learn English or for 99% of the world to learn Japanese, it's not going to happen. Most likely because of the culture and language divide.

It's more mainstream than it used to be. I hear tons of people that I didn't even think would give a fuck about chinese cartoons talking about Attack on Titan and other popular anime.

In México every normie knows about dragon ball they still transmit it in a national network.

Technically, ME already have years of experience doing that in anime to point new viewer might not notice any different unless they saw the original version.

The world goes further than your local starbuks, dude. Anglos aren't the whole world.

it hurts your feefees so it's worth it, normie.

It's been mainstream here for years, honhonhon.

It's more or less crossboarder culture nowadays, of course I'd want that shit away from Sup Forums.

>Anglos aren't the whole world.
I don't even live in the west.
I've been to many places around the world, and if I were to put myself in their shoes, they'd mostly think of anime as cringey and childish. Some even proposed a ban on anime because of its fanservice appeal. Cultures are way too different for them to accept anime that easily. Maybe you'd get more hope with cartoons.

We got the entire Kochikame anime dubbed in our language.
Guess it is kinda popular.

>Is it even possible for anime to ever become mainstream outside of japan?
Have you ever come across youtube anime videos with Arbaic subtitles.
It's quite popular there.

It is you fucking faggot,

Well just because it's been dubbed into your language doesn't instantly mean that it's popular. It's only those Japs trying to spread the availability and trying to get their product noticed, much like advertising. But it still remains in the niche community full of weebs. I mean no one can just simply take anime seriously. Anime is the opposite of serious.

>Arabic
Lol go somewhere in the warring places and wave a flag of a naked anime girl and lets see if they're going to accept that. Most likely they'd get offended.

your ignorance tells me you're american

If you even want anime to become mainstream to begin with, I recommend just going back to le reddits and upvoting the 70th thread this month about Your Name's box office success.

And then kill yourself afterwards.

Shut the fuck up bitch.

Depends on the audience. I know for sure it's been popular for ages in Latin America, Europe, with America slowly but surely gaining traction since the mid-90s.

>Europe
In the netherlands there is no anime to speak off. You have pokemon and DBZ for kids but thats it. After youre 12 anime is no longer for you.

No, and it shoudn't.

What the fuck is wrong with mexico?

It's kinda weird because they have no problem putting half naked bombshells on their regular programming

>censoring the manga
???

For the English translation, anyway.

fpbp

No. Anything but that. For our own sake i hope it never becomes mainstream. If it does, anime will become even more of a panderfest than it already is.
Just imagine anime pandering to normalfag pop culture shit and appealing to a SJW base.
I hope that never happens.

Are you sure that is in Germany? Guess i was wrong about that country being sexually open. They even have sexual education courses that talk about BDSM.

Thats not form mexico, that's an edit of an image from the old american version of dragonball, not the Harmony Gold, but the proto Funi dub.

Here in mexico the scene got cut down tough since at the time we were using the Harmony Gold masters.

Captain Haddock, is that you?

Half of that 'weebshit gestapo' is just channers self-loathing in an echo chamber.
It's an uncommon and peculiar hobby for an adult but it's nowhere near the level deserving of the dark secret-tier paranoia that that haunts this kind of thread.

It's not so black and white. The industry isn't exactly in an acceptable state as is given its reliance on the obsessive fan market. I can't say for sure that it'd be a net negative. There would certainly be a lot more mediocrity getting mainstream attention that all the normalfags will themselves into enjoying like half of HBO's lineup. However animation would overall be taking a step forward with westerners realizing family friendly Disney stuff isn't where animation begins and ends, nor is CGI necessarily a straightforward upgrade from 2D animation. Once they get past their blood and swearing phase, we may begin to see bolder productions all around. Not to mention to working conditions for animators would probably improve.

But my biggest concern is that waifu manufacturing would go away because normalfags can't wrap their heads around it, so fuck all that.

Haven't you heard? Proper anatomy, detailed eyes, and the ability to have your characters be seen at an angle other than 3/4ths is anime

I would expect a lot of remakes of classics into something more palpable for western tastes. Like light suddenly caring and trying to protect Misa.

it's not even that mainstream IN Japan.

you don't understand. if it got really popular in the west, studios would start going pixar tier shit

Anime already is mainstream in a lot of European countries such as France and Italy. For them, it started when shows like Hokuto no Ken, Lupin III and Rose of Versailles were localised and became extremely popular.

In the UK and US, anime is just beginning to enter the mainstream thanks to shows like Shingeki no Kyojin and SAO. Netflix also has a hand in encouraging anime to become mainstream.

I give it another 5-10 years before watching anime becomes just as mainstream as playing video games.

Also, that's Electric Tale of Pikachu, it's the manga by that famous ero/hentai mangaka

Try explain to your mother the plot of the last anime/manga you watched/read. It'll probably sound extremely silly and cringey. And that's why anime isn't mainstream.

Try Doing that with most modern series. I just watched the first season of Helix on netflix. It is about a research station in the arctic that has an infectious disease released. The cdc is called in while the diseased people turn into black blood zombie things. Then it turns out a secret organization of silver eyed immortals are the ones trying to make the disease but fucked it up and made the virus. Then a 15 year old looking 2000 year old assassin shows up wielding dual sickles and murders most of the survivors and blows up the base. Oh and his mum was an immortal who showed up in the base earlier but had her head cut off and stuck in a jar in the ice.

It isn't.

Why is germany so garbage?

Also about safe intercourse with refugees.
only for white women though.

>Kodomo no Omocha
>It's about an 11 year old girl named Sana Kurata who is an actress
>It's a comedy that shows the struggles of her school life and her acting job

This is true. When I was living there for a year, I only met one guy who regularily watched lots of series and talked openly about it, the others watched them sporadically while they aired on TV, if anything.

Using anime and manga for advertisement is almost everywhere to see in the big cities like Tokyo and Osaka, so people over there are probably more used to it, but I saw the usage diminish drastically in smaller cities and villages. Japanese getting asked if they constantly watch anime is probably as annoying as Americans getting asked if they eat burgers every day

That sounds like something you'd read in fanfiction.net or deviantart
>insert coldsteelthehedgehog.jpg here

Ask any SEA country.

Yes, if they start designing shows for a world wide market.

In other words this.

Calling bullshit on photo.

>speed racer
>spirited away
>sailor moon
>gundam wing
>voltron
>"""robotech"""
>first ghost in the shell
>akira
>cowboy bebop
>dragon ball, naruto, other shonen etc etc

It's happened several times, stupid question tbqh.

I don't think it actually is from the german version.
Very few anime got censored in germany in the 90s. They only went full retard much later in the 00s.

Can we start permabanning people for bringing Sup Forums shit to other boards? I mean you're entitled to your opinion, but it isn't anime-related and has no place on Sup Forums.

>Itachi didn't "annihilate" his clan, he "kidnapped" them.
Well where are they fucking now?

People outside of japan have really shit taste, so no

>A fucking swimsuit without cleavage of the kind even five year old girls wear is too haram for Germanistan