Thoughts on Utena?

Thoughts on Utena?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UymFU9dTmOU
youtube.com/watch?v=RbQ5KOLJcnk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Masterpiece.

Should be preserved in the national film registry.
Honestly deserves a spot more than a bunch of stuff already there.

ZETTAI

Best anime series ever directed and written.

UNMEI

Fantastic OST.

Nanami best girl

MOKUSHIROKU

amazing

juri best girl

100x better than Evangelion.

Overrated shit. Not trying to bait or anything, honest opinion. Much hype about nothing.

Did that guy finish streaming it yet or are we doing another round tonight

Seconded.

Unlike Eva, Utena didn't need the movie to turn an already good series into a masterpiece.

Who is the most misunderstood character and why was it Ruka?

He only wanted to save Juri from her own delusions.

was she autism?

Good but overrated by deepfags on Sup Forums. It uses complex metaphors to express simple messages, which is kind of a waste.

>Who is the most misunderstood character
Shiori

Shiori.

A classic

Overrated

Amazing, second best thing after Evangelion.

Final stream is tonight, in about 5 hours.

I'm watching it for almost a year now, it's so boring (except for the stairway music), I can't seem to find the energy to finish it.

Is this worth getting if i havent watched the anime yet?

Master class on style.

I want new figs for the 20th anniversary. Please, Japan.

؜ I can't wait!

bump

This.

Masterpiece.

overrated piece of shit

Very good but really unpolished compared to Ikuhara's later works.

All Ikuhara's shows are masterpieces but Penguindrum hits the sweet spot in terms of episode count.

This, and overrated director.

>really unpolished
>implying
It has the best foreshadowing/character development of all of his shows though.

ZETTAI
UNMEI

I'll agree with that, sure.

It also has the weakest animation, worst pacing and most filler.

It's still a masterpiece, mind you, but it's held back a bit by Ikuhara not getting to go full auteur.

Utena is so cool!

>two Ikuni threads at the same time
Is today his birthday or something?

Truly the wrongest of opinions

The movie is much, MUCH better. Fight me.

Utena filler is great though, and what the hell the pacing is literally perfect.
The animation is great too, I don't know what the fuck you're talkin about.

>The movie is much, MUCH better
It's really not though.

I can't agree. Pacing is slow, because of all the (yes wonderful) filler and the show sometimes takes too damn long to get the damn point. Animation is inconsistent and notably weaker than Penguindrum or YKA.

>It's really not though.

It really is though.

No!

Yes!

NO!

Link?

I was bored as fuck throughout it until the Akio arc.

Although, it's been a few years since I've seen it and didn't really care to analyse what the metaphors meant so I'll probably enjoy it on a rewatch.

The black rose arc is just shit though, 100% meaningless filler.

>The black rose arc is just shit
I didn't know someone could have such shit taste.

Just finished rewatching it. Still revolutionary.

TAKE MY REVOLUTION

Man face

WATASHI NO TANJOUUU

I legitimately didn't get the point of that arc, besides the usual 'life is monotonous' theme already shown by the constant re-use of the ZETTAI UNMEI MOKUSHIROKU footage.

I can see how the Jungian archetype of the Hero is represented through Deus and things like that which allows me to have a newfound appreciation of a show that I thought was shallow, but honestly black rose is just bad. I can barely remember what happens besides the onion knight episode.

Yes, send it to me.

>watching BLACKED the series

fuck you

>BLACKED
More like poo in the loo'd.

Ridiculously overlong, but the last third or so is primo.

>long
If they cut out the Black Rose arc it would have been too short and none of the characters for the Student Council arc would have been fleshed out but to each their own.

I want to masturbate inside of Shioricar!

The only other anime to get such an emotional response from me was Evangelion.

Honestly, I think the show could have gotten away with 12 if certain parts were rewritten properly. The biggest problem is how formulaic and steady it was for the majority; each side character has to be introduced with their own dedicated episode, each side character has to have their own episode at least once before the next cycle of character episodes, etc.

I can't fucking watch it because MPC refuses to work with every good encode of it
>9 episodes
Perfectly fine
>a month later
Nope, annoying buzzing

It's a magical girl, there's a formula. Some people want it to be fast and focus on Utena and leave all the other characters to be poorly explored. Keeping it as is kept the depth meanwhile sacrificing the budget of the series.

It's broken now, can't do it no more.

Masterpiece, and Nanami's egg is one of the funniest episodes I have seen in anime.
The movie is amazing too.

Disgusting.

Pump-&-Dump Shiori-san!

90% of episodes can be skipped without losing anything of value, the rest are 10/10.
I also don't see how people are praising the characterization, not a single person in this is anything close to developed, not even by anime standards.

>not a single person in this is anything close to developed, not even by anime standards.

Which 3.9 episodes did you like?

To be fair, the main lesbos and Akio are all fairly well developed. The rest are knee-deep at best.

I don't want bait to be this dull anymore.

>not a single person in this is anything close to developed, not even by anime standards.

I have very sick fantasies about Juri-san...

This is true desu, Akio is the only one that makes this anime worth watching. It's a shame he comes in so late though.

t. Shiori

feminist garbage

what did you expect from angry lesbians?

normal people call that being 'pretentious'

The songs during the duels are the best thing about this anime.

youtube.com/watch?v=UymFU9dTmOU

>54:01
>more than two full episodes' worth of pure bullshit
kek

I prefer Akio's car theme
youtube.com/watch?v=RbQ5KOLJcnk

It was the only part of the stock footage that I liked, besides the song that plays as utena ascends the stairs to duel.

I wish

Something I'm glad I watched only once for stylish reasons but not something I would recommend to anyone nor would I watch again. A show filled with terrible people. Also Nanami is the best girl.

Abandon thread. I'm laughing so hard right now.

I bet 1, beginning of the Black Rose Arc, and 39. .9 are parts of the Nanami episodes.

Good ost but in the end I dropped the show, seems pretty overrated.

I fucking lost it when that guy was shirtless and got on the frount of his car.

Agian great ost and op.

I miss when threads were small and not filled with shitposters. It was comfy back then. I guess it's not for everyone as I used to think.

>Youtube thinks it can stop me by making the video "unavailable in my country"

Watch my revolution

It's early. You have to wait until after the shitposters' bedtime before you can have a good thread. Otherwise they come out in droves to show you what special snowflakes they are for hating a show everyone else likes.

Utena was never for everyone.

Let me just say that I'd never introduce someone to anime through Utena. It would be like introducing someone to literature by getting them to read James Joyce- It alienates you if you're not already used to the medium.

Too many anons can't tell the difference between liking something and the quality of a series. I pity them, user.

I tell people to watch it before they die. That's it. I'm not saying I outright think anime fans streaming ecchi harem series on KissAnime but one day they might actually want to watch a series that is impactful. They might even watch it and understand it later. I feel like its a series anime fans should watch even if its only the first couple episodes.

Man I love Rose of Versailles: High School edition

I genuinely do love Utena though

>normal people call that being 'pretentious'
No, it doesn't pretend to be deeper as it is, it's pretty obvious what the show tries to tell the viewer. It's just that what it tells isn't anything special.

Best shitpost of the thread. Keep it up.

I might use this in the future.

best girl