/SRG/ - Self Reliance General

In order to overcome the coming social and economic troubles that will face us in the coming future, one must not be overly dependent on modern society, lest you be dragged down with it. The final red-pill is choosing a life of self-reliance and being in charge of your domain, instead of being a good goy.

How many of you here are homesteaders, or have considered getting into any kind of self-reliant lifestyle?

youtube.com/watch?v=Lj7fi8Wnfc0

youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I

youtube.com/watch?v=-vuMSoQzYfs

youtube.com/watch?v=OIwGMpCDI6Q

youtube.com/watch?v=S409v9cOrBk

youtube.com/watch?v=NuZy8Rjk4d0

youtube.com/watch?v=gtizLl2M49o

Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zIyF79yfWkk
nypost.com/2014/11/16/toxic-veggies-found-in-nycs-community-gardens/
nypost.com/2014/05/04/high-toxic-levels-found-in-samples-taken-from-brooklyn-gardens/
youtube.com/watch?v=ENLC99L03ZY
youtube.com/watch?v=wbRJt6iKCc8
youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also there's a discord server for further discussion: discord gg/8D5juz

bump

Would you bet on the current status quo being maintained forever?

SEPP Holzer

anyone have thoughts on how much acerage is needed to feed a family of 4?

I can get down with this. Good thread, OP.

It depends on the climate, meat/produce focus, and how much of the acreage is actually usable.

My great grandfather ran our family "farm" off about 5 acres of cleared, shitty land, and 115 acres of woodland, using the trees as a wood farm and constant source of income.

This is Lions mane, it helps with your cognitive abilities if eaten on the reg. Come check out what else I have going.

discord gg/8D5juz

i've read walden twice
also, i am a professional horticulturist
what is the next step?

Those water jugs are shit and most will fail within a year when stored full of water.

Get Sceptre or LCI for something that will last.

I went with 6 of rolling grassland and an average of 22 inches of rain fall.

good advice

how much can you accomplish with that? Is that enough to feed a family? and did it involve any sort of fertilizers?

Still working on it but the little ranch next to me, the family has the same idea and they went with 10ac for the 5 of them. They are raising goat rabbits chickens some turkeys and have a 40x15 greenhouse. Seems like it's working for them but both the husband and wife work in town so I'm sure it's not all self sufficient.

being able to work a normal job and do some homesteading on the side sounds really nice, but that balance would be really hard to hit considering you probably would need your property to be near a city or large town.

bump

It's expensive to get started but we are trying it without taking any loans. I sold my house in the city and we cleared enough to buy a non grid tied solar system the land and get the structure in place. But the structure is still rough on the inside. Still no well but this tax return should address that. I am lucky enough to have a job where I can work from home (insurance auditor)

It's incredibly important to go hunting at least once in a man's life. Every man should kill at least one animal in their lifetime, harvest it, and use the meat to survive. It's an important part of manhood.

youtube.com/watch?v=zIyF79yfWkk

That might be the confiest image I've ever seen.

Here is what was required back in early 1800s South Africa.

What else would you recommend?
My dad made sure to teach me about working with wood and diagnosing problems with small engines. He wasn't great with either (he was a lawyer) but foundation was there for me to draw upon later. I thought that was helpful stuff

except here in Costa Rica it's prohibited to hunt ANYTHING! doesn't matter if you're starving or not, you will go to jail for hunting a rat. Fucking shit laws and shit places, but hey, you can buy a rifle and overpriced bullets if you wish.

There's clearly increasing frustration among all of us on the right about our options on how to change the direction of western civilization. No matter who we vote for or what rallies we attend, the mere act of being a functioning member of society and paying taxes is basically funding a war against us. Perhaps a more concrete solution to the parasitic relationship we have with our society involves fundamentally changing the white way of life, and realigning our priorites?

The current status quo is maintained by concentrating the nations power and wealth in urban centres, where the cost of maintaing a comfortable way of life is perpetually extracted out of you through taxes, finance, and other costs. All of that wealth is then used to perpetuate the degeneration of our society, and fund the tools of your enslavement. We are trapped in a self-reinforcing cycle. Political action may be great, but its unlikely to ever be more than a stop-gap for a real solution.

A more permanent change means detatching ourselves from the status quo. There are lessons to be learned from people today who live in more rural and tight-nit communities, or how our own great-grandparents may have lived just a century ago. Shed all the crap from your life that you dont need, and learn to rely on yourself. Learn practical skills that will make you more self reliant, instead of eating food that was picked by Guatemalans 300 miles away, make your own. Learn to be in charge of your own life. This is how large and healthy families are made.

We got ourselves into this mess by constantly seeking comfort above all, choosing to move one more exit down the highway to escape the encroaching minorities, instead of addressing the problem head on.

I think if you have a good foundation in hunting, survival, agriculture, it creates a great base for being good at repairs and craftsmanship. I don't know what it is but people who are good at hunting at all seems to have mechanical stuff come naturally.

That's fucking insane mate. Are numbers low there or something?

Learn the principals behind many different trades: carpentry, plumbing, sanitation, electrical--especially DC if you're planning to go off-grid or have a backup power system (wind, water, or solar).

Have you ever killed anything, or even shot a gun? Other critters will come after your livestock.
Coons, coyotes, and bobcats love eating chickens. Skunks will go after eggs.
Deer and rabbits will try to eat your garden.

Can you build a fence for your cows? Can you butcher one when you need meat, or will you pay a locker plant to do it for you? Are you going to grow hay and alfalfa to feed them in the winter, or are you going to buy it from someone else?

You’re going to need water, so make sure you get irrigation rights with any property you buy.
If you’re far enough out, you’ll need a way to plow your own roads/driveway in the winter.
You’ll need a spring or a well for household water use, and a septic system or an outhouse for human waste. Can you build those things, or are you going to pay someone to do it for you?

Are you going to heat your home with wood or propane?
If wood, you’ll need 6-12 cords per winter depending on the climate. If propane, $$$.

If your plan is to just buy a few acres and live in a travel trailer, prepare to be miserable and disappointed.

Always been interested in living off-grid. I will take a look into this.

>Are numbers low there or something?
endangered species, yes, but no one is asking to kill Pumas or Leopards, Monkeys or Bambi, country is overrun by fucking crocks, snakes and other small game, why aren't I allowed to feed myself via those means and not be forced to buy imported food from outside? Ohh I'll tell you why, because corrupt gov't officials have personal contracts with those who import food and other produce into this shit-hole. You can't even fish properly.

1/21

2/21

Dudes, even if you live in the city or suburbs, there are still work arounds. In my basement, I put some flower pots near a sunny window and am now growing pumpkins. So even just a little something is a good start.

Even in cities there are usually community gardens that you can join. It won't be at home and some can be like an HOA, but it'll give you space hopefully with some sun. And outdoors!

City gardens tend to be horribly polluted or toxic, so stay frosty and be careful dudes
>nypost.com/2014/11/16/toxic-veggies-found-in-nycs-community-gardens/
>nypost.com/2014/05/04/high-toxic-levels-found-in-samples-taken-from-brooklyn-gardens/
>youtube.com/watch?v=ENLC99L03ZY
>youtube.com/watch?v=wbRJt6iKCc8

Are there specific countries where the self reliance works better? UK is nogunz and housing/land prices are godawful, but the US doesn't really attract me. What are the options?

The lower the taxes the more self reliant you can be.
Being Amish in America is the best way I know for optimizing that.

Canada and US are the primary options, maybe Patagonia.

Quiz:

How much land did Ted Kaczynski require to grow the following on his property and live pretty much self-sufficiently excluding "lour, rice, rolled oats, sugar, cornmeal, cooking oil, and powdered milk, and a modest amount of canned fruit and/or tomatoes for the winter":

>potatoes
>parsnips
>beets
>onions
>two kinds of carrots
>spinach
>radishes
>broccoli
>orach
>Jerusalem artichoke
>turnip

Is it:

A) 0.5 acres
B) 1.4 acres
C) 2.6 acres

Here’s a sanitation tip for you city dwelling deplorables: make a simple dry toilet.
5-gallon bucket, plastic bag liner, and something that absorbs moisture (cat litter or sawdust works well; even soil, perlite, vermiculite will work in a pinch).
Put about 2 inches of it in the bottom of the bucket, inside the bag.
NEVER piss in this toilet—liquid helps shit to decompose, and is what causes latrines to reek.
Take a dump, and then cover it. You can pull the seat off your real toilet and set it on top of the bucket for more comfort.
Keep the bucket covered when not in use, or else flies will lay eggs and the maggots will eat your shit and create moisture that will cause the whole thing to stink.
It’ll take roughly 2 weeks to fill, for one person.
When about 80% full, pull the bag out and tie it off leaving as little air as possible inside, then stash the bag somewhere it won’t be accidentally torn open. Put it inside a second bag, if you have enough to spare.
This will make your life considerably more comfortable during extended water service outages.
Total setup cost: $20 or less.

For innawoods/rural living, this is also a handy solution if you have to prioritize improvements to your land. It’s far cheaper than a septic system (bulk wood shavings can be bought at any ranch or rural supply for about $8 a bale, or you can collect from firewood cutting or woodworking) and cheaper/quicker than building an outhouse, plus you don’t have to put on Sorels and grab a shovel when you need to shit in the winter.
Take the bags outside and dump them in a compost bin (separate from your vegetable compost) and after 6-8 months spread the compost around the base of trees away from your garden—be aware of where runoff goes and plan accordingly.
If living in an RV while building your home/workshop, this is far more convenient to deal with than hauling your black water tank to an RV park dumping area, plus there's no chance of it freezing up in winter.

You’re welcome

Yeah that seems to be the trick, there's tons of places you could settle if you wanted to be alone (south eastern german brazil, parts of chile, alaska etc. (great land prices as well)) but murrica and canada seem the only real options.

Pennsylvania was nice when I went but it was fairly bland, I liked arizona but desert's not good for growing shit.

I would guess .5 acres, but I wouldn't want to live like Kaczynski

Is it possible to have homesteading in urban areas?

probably not, land is very expensive and you would be missing out on all the benefits of being near nature.

unless you want to be like this guy for whom urban farming is a full time job: youtube.com/user/urbanfarmercstone

First: checked
Second: holy fuck that is beautiful

Invest in bitcoin its 13,000 now!

wrong thread

It's called looking towards the future. Its not just bitcoin there are others like pacoin. Go to my website tailopez.com for free training

bamp

dixieanon reporting in.

Get cheap land in an area that has no building codes.

I have a greenhouse heated with one of these, good infograph.

Seconded.

>our biome
Temperate Appalachian Rainforest.

Ask any questions you may have, I'm living the life right now.

Are you full off grid (elec water food etc)?

>uk
>cheap land
>no building codes
dreams crushed

Frequently Asked Questions for potential homesteaders:

1: How much land does it require to feed a person?
If you really busted your ass and did the maximum possible, got the soil nutrients and organic matter up the first year, maybe 6-7 people per acre in effect, not counting animals. Calculate for much less than this, to account for possible crop failures.

2: How much does it cost??

To be honest, it would be extremely doable on SSDI neetbux as a minimum income while not starving to death.

3: Shelter??
An RV is fine until it gets around zero degrees F, wood heat in a small shed makes a decent makeshift "living area" while building a house. If you have a bit more money than neetbux, get a used double-wide and use that for a temporary living structure while building the fachwerkhausen of your dreams.

4: Food?
Eat potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice, legumes, and wild game- until your crops start producing.

Right now, yes, except for food- we moved in late so technically we're eating almost entirely storage food and deer until the summer crop comes in, and the pigs get a decent size.

>dreams crushed
Immigrate and bring the best of your country with you, guns are a necessary tool to live like this- when deer and calves get torn to pieces by strange hybrid coyotes that "get meaner every year", you have to have a gun to have any free time.

>power
It doesn't have to be at your property exactly to be useful, it's easy to drop out "completely" if you cheat and exploit the power or free wifi from jewish businesses- if the business is white, tip them cash. Get a generator for power tools, and learn how to do without
>Internet
Beg, borrow, or steal. Preferably nothing in your name.

Is it easier to grow food in warmer and wetter southern states than in the north?

It's easier to grow more food per acre, and also easier to get a second or third crop per year per unit of land, by using season-extension techniques such as floating row covers or high tunnels.

If the soil is good, food will grow well anywhere- but I can grow oranges with minimally-wood-heated greenhouses while it would be difficult to get a decent fruit in most of canada, just from the angle and intensity of the sun during the shorter daylengths.

1. What do you wish you had done differently?
2. How much time per day do you estimate you spend doing stuff that in an urban setting one takes for granted (ironically hauling water, splitting wood for heat or cooking etc)
3. How do you protect your crops form critters and insects?
4. Where did you learn to butcher?
5. How involved in your community are you?

Delete ironically. Not sure how I typed that

How do I invest in KNOWLEDGE?

Where in the US are there no building codes?
Also, checked

West Texas right? I thought all you needed was a septic system and then they let you build what and however you want

Second tip that will work just as well for cityfags as for someone innawoods: emergency power.

I know everyone loves to talk about “muh generator”, but how many really have one, or a place to use one?
Look at Houston a few months ago. A whole house backup generator would likely be underwater if you needed it then, and trying to power up your home when it’s got 2-3’ of water in it is probably not such a good idea.
A portable generator would be fine, but it needs to be run in very well ventilated areas so you don’t kill yourself with carbon monoxide from the exhaust, plus the cheap ones are fuckhuge.
Honda makes a great line of truly portable generators, but they start at $800 for 1000 Watts, and you need to have fuel stored or they’re useless.

Prioritize your emergency power needs. Communication and lighting would be my first concerns.
Smaller electronics have been migrating towards USB (5V) power for years.
There are bright as hell (900 lumens and up) flashlights that have a built in USB charger for their 18650 battery and can also use a pair of CR123 batteries as backup fuel. $30-50
A headlamp is useful as fuck so that you can use both hands. Black Diamond makes one that runs on 3 rechargeable AAA batteries and has a USB input that allows the headlamp to double as a charger for those batteries. It can also run on alkaline or lithium AAAs. Puts out 300 lumens. $60
A simple USB rechargeable AM/FM radio that also has a hand crank for charging would be a good idea.
You can start cheap by getting a USB battery pack that is usually used to charge a cel phone. It can be used to charge your lights as well, and could keep you in power for a few days if used sparingly. Anker is an affordable brand with good customer service and warranty. $20-120

For longer term outages, you can get a group 31 battery that’s about 100Ah at 12V for $200-$250 (I use Deka Dominator Gel if they’re going to be used above freezing, and Deka Intimidator AGMs if they’re going to be unheated in the winter) and use a simple charger for auto batteries to keep it topped off for emergencies. Get a set of clamp on cables that have a 12V to USB inverter and you can use this to charge your lights, phone, radio, and portable battery packs for a few weeks.

Pick up a few packs of Eneloop AA and AAA batteries (or Amazon Basics rechargeable batteries, they're made in the same factory as the Eneloops, just branded with an Amazon wrapper and they cost less) and a USB battery charger as well.
Buy lithium AA, AAA, and CR123 for long term storage--they have a shelf life of 10-15 years--as backups.

>A headlamp is useful as fuck
Quick note here, try not to use your headlamp if you're going after anything with a gun, because it will cause glare off your barrel and front sight, fucking up your targeting.
With a handgun, use the Graham method if your flashlight has combat loops, the Harries technique if not.
For a rifle or non-pump shotgun, you could hold your flashlight between your off hand and the gun, but a weapon mounted light would be the best option for all 3. Don't cheap out on a weapon light, because ill designed ones will black out during recoil and sometimes not come back on. Ask /k/ for up to date recommendations.

quality info, thanks

How is this politics?

>How is this politics?
If you're a conservative, self-reliance is a core part of life, as is community and teaching like minded people how to better themselves so they can be a useful part of that community.

If you're a filthy commie antifag, just ignore everything in this thread and sit on your roof till mommy government decides to come wipe your ass for you.

Next tip is for water.
You can use pots, bottles, cups, empty juice or milkjugs (sorry, snowniggers, you’re SoL on the last one) to store water in a pinch, but I like shit that lasts so I recommend the 20 liter milspec cans from either Scepter or LCI—$30-60 each depending on where you get them, but I’ve had one get dropped, fall down a 50’ hill bouncing over rocks and not break.
They’re available in 4 colors, which makes rotation simple, and if you set the black one in the sun for a few hours it heats the water up nicely. There are tons of DIY mods out there from pump faucets to pressurization systems so you can use one to create a makeshift shower.

They work great for a bag fed filter system; mine holds 12 liters and you fill it, hang it up, put the nozzle in the water can and forget it. Add a bit of bleach when the can is full and that water will be good for a year.
If your water source is really nasty, pre-filter it as best you can (t-shirt, coffee filter, whatever) first and you’ll waste less time maintaining your purification system.

For cityfags in a disaster situation, remember that there’s a few gallons of potable water in the tank of your toilets, and 20-60 gallons in your hot water heater you can access through the drain valve.

bump

1- Nothing much, I'm not sure I regret anything, except not making the rocket stove in the greenhouse 8 inch from the beginning.
2- Hmm, maybe a hour total labor, maybe a bit more if I decide to do something extra that helps prepare for the future.
3- Kill and eat the deer, guineas to control the total insect population, spot treating with soap or something if I have a problem.
4- From doing, and from observing others butcher. The main thing is cutting around the asshole and tying it with a piece of string, being careful with the glands and such so you don't ruin the meat, you could get "stew chunks" and lard with no real experience if you didn't leak bile or shit on the meat.

Dixie. Appalachia.

Saving the White race is definitely the political concern of the National Socialist.

bump for the white race, faggots.

If you’re technically inclined, look into starting a WISP as a business. There are plenty of rural areas that have shit for internet service and would welcome a provider that isn’t shitass CenturyLink. The learning curve is a bit steep, but you can teach yourself how to build one with a few hundred dollars worth of equipment to play with and quite a bit of time investment.