What's wrong with being a solo player?

What's wrong with being a solo player?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3GXCo-InnpU
twitter.com/AnonBabble

MMO's aren't set up that way. You need a modicum of teamwork to get through most dungeons and raids.

I'm a lone wolf

Don't follow me you'll get hurt

you can't fulfill all the roles at once

it's not like you can tank all the damage and deal massive DPS;

MMO's just aren't built that

That's the thing. How do you make a team when the main reason (mine at least) of playing a game is because one cant make friends? Or cant maintain them?

MMOs are fucking dogshit as games unless you're into getting together with groups of other players. If you want to solo grind mindlessly in fantasy land there are tons of other games that do it a billion times better.

Then don't fucking play MMOs

then MMOs aren't for you buddy

>it's not like you can tank all the damage and deal massive DPS

>he doesn't multi-client

>find the melee/healer centric class
>spec for damage and sustain-out of battle
>laff at all the faggots farming inefficiently chugging their HP potions

There really aren't many that provide the same sense of progression

I think FF14 lets you solo most of the early game content.

Until you get cockblocked by being forced to group to progress the main story. Such bullshit.

You can't get very far in it. Even if you can, it will be excruciatingly slow.

>why does a massively MULTIPLAYER game force me to play with others ;_;
Go play a single player game retard

The progression systems in most other types of games are vastly superior. Especially since everything is part RPG these days. Or are you talking about being able to passively show off your epeen just by existing near people?

>tfw this shit's abridged version is better than the original series

Well, an asshole that becomes less of an asshole makes for a more compelling story than the adventures of little Mr. Perfect

The Progressive LNs explain that SAO is set up in such a way that slightly favors solo players because of the way it handles experience and loot.

In most MMOs you can get pretty strong without interacting with a single person.
But yeah, if you want the good shit then you'll need to go to dungeons and raids and that does require teamwork.

Overall, the LNs make it pretty clear that Kayaba's enormously biases are in the MMO. Attack skills are the metagame. Ranged weapons are either rare or complete ass. No magic because muh honorable close range combat.

>massively multiplayer
>play as if single player

>"Beater"

>it's not like you can tank all the damage and deal massive DPS;
>play grand fantasia as a berserker
>everyone just made the shitty fucking one hander weapons at level 50, because they thought the yellow 2handed axe (10% chance to activate 100% lifesteal for the next few seconds) was shit on account of there not being any aspeed axe talents at the time
>they didn't realize that you could use sword talents with a 2handed axe

>mfw spent the next 10 levels charging ahead of the raid group and soloing shit that usually took 3 or 4 other people
And then I never had fun in an mmorpg ever again.

>KotR
>Omega vs Shinryu
I'm curious how they'll even come close to topping those.

jesus fuck how he didn't get fired and sued to oblivion

Is it time for smug Argo?

Well, those would have been the least of his problems had he survived. Remember, as of now at least, Japan still has the death penalty.

because he trapped thousands of people in a death game and killed himself

MMO's are boring. It's just gaining experience by killing creeps then buying weapons to make yourself stronger. There are no skills you just hit them, dodge then put spells.
Why do people even play them ?

>getting sued over the rules you make in a video game
Are you retarded?

>sued
for what,,,?
putting the whole death game thing aside that is

He more or less programmed the entire thing himself. My headcanon believes this is why two years of semen & all the other unrealistic sex are the way it is.

Faux social connections
Nigga you don't even know

>These people got trapped in a death game for months
>The spent day after day wondering
>Fucking power outtages or blackouts probably could have killed plenty of them fucking instantly.
>Victim Girls 14
The truly unbelievable part of this series is that these people wanted to touch VR MMOs again after this fucking stunt.
If you're fucking PS4 tried to murder you if you put down your controller, would you get another console just because they claimed it wouldn't murder you like the last one?

>If you're fucking PS4 tried to murder you if you put down your controller, would you get another console just because they claimed it wouldn't murder you like the last one?
People continued to buy android phones after they exploded.

The ones who survived really enjoyed their time in the game.

They don't really. It's a pretty stagnated market.
Even Blizzard is gradually needing to whore itself more and more as it hemorrhages players. If you're wanting the fun part of an MMO's PVE experience, almost any rpg (or even something like PoE) will do, and the PvP in an actual PvP game is always going to be more polished and balanced.

They kept importing brown people after they exploded too.
People are just silly.

if it happened to me, personally, probably not, but given most people who play ALO/whatever aren't SAO players (granted the actual SAO players are a bit off in the head and actually come back to literally experience SAO again) then in the same scenario, people would eventually pick it up again, the allure of a futuristic device like that would be too strong

Also they were all moved to hospitals and shit, those are well equipped for power outages and blackouts unless you live in Africa or something

It helps that they literally can experience SAO again because the ALO devs actually added the Aincrad castle into their game, which could be considered kind of distasteful.

>Microsoft reintroduces Microsoft Flight Simulator with additional exciting Pearl Harbor and 9/11 levels.

>SAO killed 4000 people
>ALO mind-trapped 300(301?) people
>People keep playing VRMMOs
>Thousands of surviving SAO players play ALO, including those were mind trapped in it
>They also play Aincrad again, the place where they faced death for 2 years
>VRMMOs explode in popularity after Kayaba releases his magic program through Kirito despite being directly after the mind trapping incident
>GGOs shitty security causes a lethal doxing by a group of craxed killers
>The AR does some shit too idek I haven't seen the movie
>VRMMOs are still alive

Yeah that's what I meant by "literally experience SAO again"
And they're all pretty excited to go back to it too

There's a reason why Project Alicization was a military project meant for developing killer robots & waifus.

Nothing's wrong with being a solo player. What's wrong is being a Gary Stu.

Keep in mind that everyone that woke up were either the best of the best or normies that said "fuck fighting bosses, I'm going to enjoy a comfy life in fantasy land"

By the end of the two years the former SAO players are either going to want to go back to what made their lives exciting or they are going to want to get away from wagecuck life in Japan.

Not much user. I solo'd WAR and BLM in 14.

Instance finder/party finder is a love/hate thing.

In all honesty, the in-universe MMO, if we excluded dying & Kayaba's biases thrown in, could be made into a decent game. In fact, the LN stated that Kirito's beta testing deaths did little more than spawn him in another area with a slightly more embarrassed look on his face. Kayaba more or less fucked his own game.

Honestly, I'm more curious about the music and atmosphere. There's only so many innovations you can make in MMO combat.

It's always time for smug Argo.

When is next Storytime?

Those who got depressed in SAO probably have killed themselves as it's pretty easy to do so.

More smug

what was even the point of that "he is a dirty beater" subplot if everyone he met later all liked him?

Argo is love
Argo is life

New translations fucking when?!
Feel free to hate me but i actually like the progressive series.

Because for the Japanese, being hated by everyone, even momentarily, is well within commit sudoku territory. That Kirito simply chooses not to care either shows how noble and self-sacrificial he's being, or demonstrates how autistic and dense he is, depending on your preferred character interpretation.

I think most of Sup Forums likes Progressive. It's just the anime they can't stand.

Didn't Kittytoe team up with various people? He wasn't a pure solo player considering he played nice with others well enough to get into group difficulty stuff.

All the non-villain major characters are flawless saints, from Kirito and Asuna right down to Agil and Klein, of course they won't hate him over it

It's the faceless schmucks and two bit villains like kuradeel who are mad at him

I think most of Sup Forums can still tolerate SAO until the pretend-daughter shit.

This. It's bad enough he doesn't fuck her but that he's calling himself her daddy? If he's a good daddy, he'd fuck his daughter.

He couldn't do it with his sister/cousin constantly cockblocking him

DID SOMEBODY SAY THE MAGIC WORD?

Even the protagonist is smug as fuck

He should've fucked his cousin.

His girlfriend should have stripped his cousin naked & double teamed her with him.

But Asuna is cuter and rich

I only made it until like the second episode of the incest fairies.

Does it get much worse?

She's far smugger

>incest fairies
This made me laugh more than it probably should have.

Your loss.

>the in-universe MMO, if we excluded dying & Kayaba's biases thrown in, could be made into a decent game
Wrong, the in-universe game is absolute garbage.
youtube.com/watch?v=3GXCo-InnpU

>dumb opinions from dumb youtuber about why its not like my other MMO gaem
The scrolling menus help prevent freely switching equipment for min-maxing while in battle. Digging through the menus requires a team to cover that player in the meantime.

You're supposed to post a link to abridged series.

I almost dropped the show because of this. I dropped it at the end of episode 5 for being even more retarded instead.

Why do people grind social media for internet points?

Which may very well be an intentional design choice, as min-maxing/whoring is often seen by developers as a breach of the game's strategic balance and flow of play.

Are you unironically defending SAO?

Why not just not allow the players to switch equipment while in battle?

nothing really, I played through Guild Wars 1 and Guild Wars 2 solo

If you want to argue sao is bad thats fine, no one over 18 thinks otherwise
Just make your own arguments instead of trashy youtubers who clickbait for views and cash

Is rare for me to agree completely with some random youtube faggot, that's why I decided to share the video.

Ragnarok online ruined mmos for me, being able to duel and solo most bosses to death with my knight was the best.

Not much point joining a guild if all you get is team drama and a 2nd job.

Because, as I just said, that sort of munchkining is usually frowned upon by game designers, who will then take steps to prevent it. It can also be seen in this case as a balance to the fact that one's inventory does not count as weight, even though in life, carrying multiple weapons would indeed be a burden. A lot of MMOs I'm familiar with don't allow changing one's weapon in the middle of a battle at all.

Nothing at all.

The problem is that lots of games are set up as team games the game itself doesn't give the singular player the potential ability to overcome the obstacles on his own.

This is why I don't like MMOs. I wouldn't mind playing in a populated virtual world with lots of players but I hate people and I don't want to play together with them.

Yes?

Problem with switching equipment in battle is that it just opens up more paths for exploits and makes the job of the developer a lot harder when it comes to keeping the balance of any game, not that it is necessarily a bad thing. If you don't have time to account for every possible combination (nobody ever has enough time), then removing the ability to quickly switch equipment can curb it even if it is still technically possible. If you have a good strategy that uses a team to provide cover for menu trawling players for some kind of special advantage or exploit, then it will be all the more satisfying and rewarding for everyone when it is successful.

Role-play rather than Jack-of-All-Trades, I think.

Nothing is wrong with being a Solo-player who only teams up for Dungeons/Raids.
Unless you're in a situation where people are actually fucking dying. Then you're not only needlessly risking your own life, but you're being kind of a massive cunt by not helping others.

literally no MMO's nowadays force you to to play with a group. In fact, in most MMORPG's it's actually much more advantageous to play solo. Usually the only time where group play is a must is where the game literally forces you to have a party for a dungeon. I'd say that the decline of teamwork based MMORPG's is a tragedy, really. But everyone wants to play Kirito-style, so that's what's catered to.

This

DDO was great because pretty much almost every dungeon required you to have an assortment of classes to pass through a dungeon smoothly.

>those are well equipped for power outages and blackouts unless you live in Africa or something
What if the servers themselves went down due to a quake or something?

the show has potential but there are too many missing character types:

no witches
no vampire/undead chicks
no isekai mc types
no slice-of-life characters

these are staples of modern anime and should be included.

>This is how stupid SAO-defenders actually are.
I said "why not just NOT allow player to switch equipment in battle", as in, just prevent them from changing weapons, literally make it impossible.

That would completely solve the min-maxing shit you speak about and is what most games already to nowadays. My point is making the UI a clusterfuck of drop-down menus is fucking retarded and if your argument is that it is to discourage people from switching equipment mid-battle then I already proposed a better solution that would better serve said purpose and would allow the UI to be actually good.

That's why drop in multiplayer is more of a thing nowadays. It's not that most people don't like playing with others but that they don't want to go through the hassle of grouping up before actually playing the game. Games like Warframe have non-intrusive advantages to grouping up with players without any manual work needed by players, so those who choose to play Solo are actually putting in more effort to do so (sometimes required because there are too many unreliable idiots in Spy Sorties).

No excuse in a trap second life VR world where you have to travel everywhere in real time though. I'm sure that bars and recruiting boards with thousands of concurrent 24/7 players would make it hardly a problem to form groups. Just walking around solo on grinding grounds would have you run into many other players constantly because its all in one massive server.

Then a bunch of dead nerds is the least of your problems.

just seems a waste of 15 bucks a month

Sorry because I did not read your post correctly. However note that it is a requirement that they do still need to be able to switch equipment freely because weapon breakage is a thing.

I can see a few ways to keep it in separated menus while using expanded pages with better functionality for certain things like equipment ones, but I don't actually see them actually having a reason to change equipment very often though so maybe the assistant developers other than Kayaba simply didn't bother for the initial release. Potions and the like are physical objects on their belts. I don't remember how much the menu was interacted with in ALO and beyond.

Please stop the mental gymnastic, use your brain on things better than convincing yourself that SAO isn't utter garbage.

>Thousands of surviving SAO players
>plural Thousand
Nah, it shouldn't be that high.
About half the players were still on the first floor by the end of the game, and out of those remaining, less than a thousand were actually any good in SAO, and probably less actually had a good time as kidnap victims. But hey, Stockholm Syndrome, I guess.

>directly after
It was nearly half a year later. People forget shit fast these days.

Then again, it's still pretty silly.

Pretty sure they stopped because the official TL passed up the fan TL?

Yeah, "Solo Player" in this context doesn't mean "never talks to people," but instead means "Isn't part of a guild or regular party". He still participated in every boss battle in SAO, and it's not like Kirito is the ONLY "Solo Player" that's on the front-lines; Volume 1 has Asuna talking about how it's her duty to check up on all the solo players, which presumably take part in clearing floors.

what the reboot has
>argo
>smug
>reaction faces
>smug argo
>argo
did i mention argo?