Why is there so much disdain towards this film?

Why is there so much disdain towards this film?
"Because it's popular" isn't an actual argument.

Why did a mod delete the other thread?

Template OP. Do not do that.

What does that even mean?

Because the love story is mediocre at best.
It's kind of like Avatar.
>massive ad campaign
>big budget
>stunning visual
>great cast/voices
>lackluster story line
>cheesy love character arc
You have to admit that the story rides too much on the conveniences that the Shinto gods "offer," and there never really is any explanation of how everything works. Time travel, body swapping, time gap, possible multiverse, changing events that have already occurred, etc. and all for what? To save a small country town or just for the sake of love?
Speaking of love, how did they even fall in love with each other? It's worse than the Titanic where Rose only knew Jack for 2 days... At least in Titanic they got to see each other in person while in Kimi no Na wa they never see each other or get to personally know one another. All they did was exchange texts/journal entries that were nothing but rules for each other's bodies and what they did that day, nothing that would hint at feelings whatsoever. Suddenly the two fall in love with each other without any real development or chemistry other than "I love you."
And people wonder why Shinkai had criticism thrown at him that hinted that the film was for virgins or he himself is a virgin. It's a poor display of how relationships really work between people but an excellent "fairy tale" of how fate can lead you to true love, blah blah blah, you get the rest.

Don't get me wrong though, I LOVED the film.

>massive ad campaign

In Japan maybe. I haven't seen a single ad about Kimi no Na Wa's re-release in April until Sup Forums couldn't stop making threads about it days ago. Then I finally watched it.

10/10 movie. I watch films because I want to see great stories. Fuck realism.

>Suddenly the two fall in love with each other without any real development or chemistry other than "I love you."
Yeah that bothered me quite a bit actually. I think I would've teared up at the comet incident reveal even though it would've been standard Shinkai but I wasn't really sold on them as a couple yet

Is it out on blu-ray yet? Are there proper rips?

Normalfags loves it, including you.

I bet you can't possibly name one anime that does this better than this film.

>and there never really is any explanation of how everything works.
This is the wrong medium for any sort of detailed explanation, you're watching a film, not reading a novel. Films that delve into explaning every single thing are the worst. The film already gave a vague reason to why this is happening through showing and not telling. Such as the symbolism of the half moon, the themes of interconnection/musubi and Japanese culture.
>Speaking of love, how did they even fall in love with each other?
It's like you missed the film's intermission. Time has passed and they communicated with each other over a span of many weeks/months, they know pretty much everything about each other at some point, especially Taki after drinking the Kuchikamisake.
Mitsuha was a victim of circumstances, she doesn't have many friends, and lives with her grandmother. The only person who truly understands her situation is Taki. It's pretty obvious how they fell in love with each other.
They shared a bond, through the power of musubi and kataware-doki.

>disdain
it's one of the highest grossing and most acclaimed anime films of all time

It's babby first sekai-kei

a handful of spergs on message boards perhaps, but the OP makes out like it's being treated like the Star Wars prequels.

>Disdain
What? Every thread I've seen in the past two weeks has done nothing but shower it with praises and even the usual shitposting was very limited.
I can't even remember the last time something was this universally liked on Sup Forums. The general I've been consensus seems to be that it's a great movie, but people are aware that it does have flaws and suffers from being overhyped by normalfags that think it's the best thing ever after spirited away.
Of course, once people eventually run out of things to talk about, the threads you'll see pop up from time to time will be made for shitposting or by that one user that's deliberately being contrarian, so expect that to come in the next while.

It had shit budgets for production and advertising since Garden of Words flopped. Are you suggesting having stunning art, animation, and voice acting is somehow a bad thing?

There is a lot in this film that is inaccessible to western viewers, so that isn't your fault or the film's. But first you have to understand that this isn't even a romance film at all. That is only the surface element. It is like passive vs active reading. You're only watching the plot instead of the ideas.

The film, at its core, is about the Tohoku earthquake.
>What if it had been me
>What if it had been you
That is the feeling he felt witnessing the aftermath of the disaster, and the feeling he had in mind when writing for this film. The silence during the cut revealing the town-now-lake was exactly from Shinkai's own experience in Natori in the after the quake. What was once a town now nothing, nothing.

Perhaps in the West we were more preoccupied with the fears of radiation. But the destructive power of an earthquake is incomparable to that of a school shooting or terrorist attack. There will be no loved ones left crying, no momentos to remember you by, no pictures or sadpanda history left. Nothing is left of you save a name, a ribbon, and a bottle of sake in a mountain. Why bother to save such a small town? As an older Taki pointed out, it could have been Tokyo, it could be New York.

because Keit-Ai

cont.

To finally return to romance: the distance between people--how people close together can be distant, how people far apart can be close--has always been a theme of Shinkai's. How often, I wonder, will people spent years, decades together yet not fully understand each other? We meet, we talk, we open up, make ourselves vulnerable, we love, we have sex. Yet, can you ever really understand another person? What it's like to live as the other person? What it's like to have to wear a bra every day, to be expected, since birth, to take over family traditions. What it's like to face the pressure of entrance exams and a getting good career while remembering to socialize and date, and let any of these falter and you end up a loser browsing Sup Forums? Love blooms from understanding, and I cannot imagine anything that creates more intimate understanding than to spend days in each other's body.

>that you were the one inside of me
>that i was the one inside of you

While most talk about the pen drop or "I love you", these lines were the most memorable to me.

if the scope is 'the internet' then you can always find 'so much disdain' regardless of what you are looking for. i mean any idiot could find 3 examples of dislike and conclude that theres 'a lot of dislike.'

but i assume these are obvious points so i have to conclude you are just a 2-line trolling OP of which there are dozens every day on this garbage forum.
they are always extremely short and shallow, only a few lines. they are always asking some loaded question about a false premise about other peoples opinions. (usually that something is widely disliked, which is a shallow and worthless observation without consideration of the scope and methodology of how this premise was reached)
and there is a new one every hour.
and people actually reply to it earnestly even though its a terrible question. its a terrible loaded question because theres a false or specious premise built into the question that just gets skipped over and its shitty trolling 101. did i mention theres a thread like this 20 times a day. fucking fuck.

Nicely put, user.

Well, you can say it has deeper themes, and I agree, but this is at the very least grounded in Romantic underpinnings. And that's not a bad thing at all. It's the romance that gets you to give a shit about the characters so you want to see them live. Compare this to Tokikake, with a more straightforward plot but boring characters.

Honestly, it's not as if the film is flawless. While I don't think lack of Romantic development is a MAJOR issue, since even by the time shit goes down with the twist both characters are really only discovering their affection, I wouldn't say it was lacking. It's not like they were head over heels right away, it took some cucking even to get those emotions out. That said, If you read the novels, there seems to be a lot of interesting stuff Shinkai wanted to put in for the swap, but couldn't due to time or budget, so we just got the one ZENZENZENSE montage, which was admittedly pretty clever.

Eh, sekai-kei is kind of a divisive term. Not a whole lot of consensus on what it even means, even with the Japs. In stories like those, usually the external world is some manifestation of internalized struggles, or directly influenced by those things. That is, your interactions drive the plot. Think Eva. Think Rahxephon.

Not really in Kimi no Na Wa. This is more of a character-specific melodrama and a rumination on fate. The characters aren't really directly tied to any of the climactic events, it's really more of a story about avoiding disaster in the second half, rather than that external manifestation of emotional struggle like, say, Saikano. It has more in common with Tokyo Magnitude 8.0, or hell, fucking Titanic. It's a love story with a background in tragedy, although this time that tragedy is averted. It doesn't make it Sekai Kei.

Might it have elements from that genre? Sure. But it doesn't share too many similarities with other shit in the genre.

Mitsuha is cute.
C
U
T
E

I personally disliked it because of all the cliches. It's not a very convincing argument since being bothered by cliches is really just a matter of "have you seen them enough to be sick of seeing them yet?" but it really bothers me. I just can't imagine the #1 best anime of all time (like people are saying it is) could be this full of overdone and overused cliches. I mean the biggest, number 1 cliche that any romcom can have, is the cliche where the two leads hate each other at first then after being forced together by some plot device they come to like each other. That may seem like a long-winded and hyper-explicit explanation for a cliche, but it honestly is THAT specific of a cliche, and is used in a very high percentage of all romcoms. I've mentioned this before in some other threads, but there are actually multiple western romcoms entirely dedicated to deconstructing this cliche. It's that bad.

TL;DR if this is your first rom-com ever, it's probably outstanding and original, otherwise it'll seem a bit dull and predictable.

>leads hate each other at first then after being forced together by some plot device they come to like each other.
Woah there pal. First of all they didn't hate each other, they were annoyed at having half of their life being controlled by someone else who didn't know the first thing about them. Second, they didn't even know each other prior to the swap.

>It's not a very convincing argument since being bothered by cliches is really just a matter of "have you seen them enough to be sick of seeing them yet?" but it really bothers me.
Eh, I think after a while it circles back around. I've seen too many anime to be bothered by cliches like this anymore, and you realize the whole idea of rejecting cliche is dumb. Things are cliche because they work. They might be overused, but they're still effective, and it's all about how you execute on them. No story has ever been 100% original anyways.

The characterization is intricate and subtle enough that it feels like its own thing. And the "cliches" aren't even that overdone, it's less them hating one another and more different habits in different bodies. It's going to lead to problems either way. And eventually you see their characters develop and Taki at least starts thinking of Mitsuha's feelings and being more considerate. The most spiteful scene I can think of is the Baka Aho one, and even that feels pretty justified.

maybe 'hate' was the wrong word to use. The point is that they're opposed to each other at first, and the only way they'll be together is if some outside influence forces them to interact instead of letting it happen naturally. They don't have to want to rip each other's throats out.

And yes the cliches are extremely overdone. I'm not exaggerating when I say 90% of all romcoms do this (especially western ones, less-so japanese ones, might be why you don't think it's that bad)
I don't think I have to mention the rubbing the breast in a bodyswap movie either... that one is so common it even happens in bodyswap movies about two women...

>is the cliche where the two leads hate each other at first then after being forced together by some plot device they come to like each other.
They didn't even hate each other, they just got pissed with the other person acting out of character in their bodies.

>maybe 'hate' was the wrong word to use. The point is that they're opposed to each other at first, and the only way they'll be together is if some outside influence forces them to interact instead of letting it happen naturally. They don't have to want to rip each other's throats out.
Well, it's more like the outside influence triggers the story, and causes them to be frustrated. They're not really even opposed, they work together plenty to try and tide things over. It's not a tsundere thing.

The problem they're facing is the body swap, they just get irritated with one another when they try and deal with it. That might be cliche in and of itself, but it's kind of ingrained for any body swap story. It's what makes the swap interesting in the first place.

I dunno what you expect, a first act with 0 conflict?

>I don't think I have to mention the rubbing the breast in a bodyswap movie either
Bodyswap movies aren't exactly popular or common to begin with, but obviously anything genital related is an obvious joke. If anything I think KnnW took a classy take on it, and it always hits you when you least expect it. That crying grope scene is still one of the funniest things I've seen in a Shinkai movie. Props to Ando, it was delivered perfectly.

it definitely circles back around, and it's not just about cliches working, but about them being a way to frame the interesting parts.

horror normies watch a horror film and complain about the jump scares while people who watch the same film complain about badly executed jump scares.

complaining about cliches in kimi no na wa probably means you're "watching it wrong" on some level, or maybe you just have no sense of aesthetics or subtlety.

So you're saying you wouldn't touch yourself if you bodyswapped with someone of the opposite sex?
People have general reactions to events, and Shinkai knew what kind of reaction the audience would have because these
"cliches" work. Cliches give audience a certain expectation, and the film does go out of its way to fight these expectations in order to get a strong emotional response from the audience.

If you touch yourself in your own body there's no way you wouldn't touch yourself if you were put into another person's body.

Claiming otherwise would just be lying to everyone including yourself. You wouldn't lie to yourself would you?

Well said

The whole 3 year ago flashback is my favorite part as well, kinda sums up what you're saying.