SAO - Ordinal Scale

So the movie was basically a rehash of the Alicization plot, but with more romance?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7X3STnscxeM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

people still watch this?

It's the top selling Light Novel of our era.

it was a good movie

>rehash of alicization
not really, no

it went AI-heavy and hinted stuff like incarnation in order to give alicization's bigger points at least some introductory context for the people who don't read the novels, since thats presumably what s3 will be

it was enjoyable

I honestly liked it better than Alicization I am not even lying. Its only similarity was the AI part though.
Did anybody translate the short LN about EIji and her?

>Kirito has to learn how to fight with the new world's rules
>recreate a person's personality through the memories of other people
>final fight is everyone from previous arcs fighting together, even if it doesn't make much sense
>After jobbing and barely getting by the whole story, Kirito gets massive power-up that lets him one-shot everything

It may not be the same plot, but it kinda makes me feel like parts of the movie are Alicization Lite.

So who is Ramen Man?
Or however player no. 3 was called.

we never saw them

Who knows? Maybe it's the rocket-launcher dude?

Speaking of Alicization, can't wait for Season 3.
Sounds like it'll be great.

Is it actually worth seeing at the cinema for? This actually is showing in a local theater but SAO has been a continual disappointment for me.

What was the name of the 100th Floor boss, and was anything published clarifying how it would fit into Kayaba's original script?

Final boss was pretty damn amazing.

The wiki says it was called "An Incarnate of the Radius", probably playing on how the name "Aincrad" is supposed to be short for "An Incarnating Radius"
As for how it would fit into Kayaba's plan, my guess is that this boss was the one designed by his game developers, when they all thought it was going to be a normal game. After the battle, Kayaba would then reveal that HE is the TRUE final boss.
This guess is based on Kawahara's taste and how Alicization has played out; according to a tweet by Kawahara, JRPGs always have the theme of having a final boss, only for it to be defeated and reveal a "true" final boss. So I'm guessing Kawahara likes that sort of development, so is probably how Kayaba would act it out.

Yeah, looking at it again, I noticed first that its name was briefly shown on screen and then that its name was actually an acronym for the setting itself.

Also, your hypothesis seems on the money. It's been a while since I've read it, but wasn't his original plan to disappear at Floor 95 after making a big reveal and telling everyone to gather all of the players who obtained the unique skills? I could totally see the overall scenario playing out fairly similar to what happened on Floor 75. After the main boss is defeated, everyone gets paralyzed except for the people with unique skills and Heathcliff shows up for a final rumble with all of them.

Will Klein and co recover his memories?

I just got out of the theater in Santa Ana with my little sister. It was a fun experience.

Pretty sure that's the implication.

Season 3 is actually happening?

I would pay money to watch Asuna make out with the virtual idol.

No joke.

No official announcement, but the movie ends with a big teaser for it.
They mention some keywords for the next arc in the after-credits scene, and then give us the words "SAO will return".

Only question is "when".

They mostly likely did, they only showed Asuna getting hers back because they really like Asuna's lesbian relationships

That's 101 shonen though

The plot was pretty dumb but I'm glad I saw it for the spectacle alone. The fight scenes were awesome on the big screen and I was reminded again just how much I enjoy Yuki Kajiura soundtracks.

I want to fuck Alice so bad.

Guys, why is he getting so plump?
Is the stress getting to him? Is Miki fattening him up so he can't run away? Or is he just preparing to fit in in burgerland when he eventually moves?

She is just as attractive and hot user, user.

As someone who only watches SAO because its well-animated, dumb fun that's enjoyable to make fun of with friends I liked Ordinal Scale a lot more than I thought I would. The interactions of the crew in the first half did a lot more to make them feel like friends than anything in the tv show did for me, a lot of the jokes actually landed well, Eiji and the father had a better motivation than any previous villains even if they were a bit flat, the action was damn good, and the sound-production was also on fucking point to an absurd degree.

I also really liked how Kirito was sort of a shitter in AR at first. It was nice to see them follow on from his no-bullshit loss to Yuuki in Mother's Rosario and the focus on Asuna in it by giving other characters more screentime and not starting him off as the best motherfucker in the game, even if he does sorta spontaneously manage to get good enough by the final act to fight on par with Eiji without much explanation beyond him participating in two or three boss battles. It kinda has me hopeful that all the stuff I've seen about the author having matured a bit by Alicization is true.

I think my only major complaints (besides the standard reservations I have about the series like Yui) are how Klein got kinda shafted after his arm was broken and Asuna's bath scene feeling really outta place. Honestly, it was better than I thought it'd be though.

Also, just throwing it out there, but the few clips we get of Yuuna and Eiji in Aincrad plus the final note added to his novel made me really wish for a spinoff about what ordinary folk were up to in SAO. I know that's probably a common sentiment but I really think that it'd make for a fun series in itself.

even if she wasnt human?

STOP KEKING KIRITO'S HAREM YOU FUCKING SLUT!!!

>implying you wouldnt fuck this
realistic robotic bodies by 2026 fuck yeah sex dolls here we come
alternatively you could just dive in to UW

thats a cute robutt what's her body composed of?

Oh my god I need to catch up to Alizication now

Why didn't they just TAKE OFF THEIR AUGMAS FFS

fuck knows
probably metallic underneath the exterior though, it needs charging
that's from v18, it's only tl'd up to 17

gotta love how alice gets that while yui is still stuck in kiritos thing

I wonder if Kawahara ever intends to give Yui an actual body

what did he mean by this?

well it's finished, apart from an UW set side story being published in v19-20 so the answer is clearly apparently not

Maybe she'll get a FAST body in the next arc

but user...
there is no next arc

WN Alicization last page meme tl

“The story ends here.

However, the battles of Kirito and Asuna,
Leafa and Sinon and others,
And Alice will be continued.

The next time they and their descendants,
Once again take up swords,
Was something that happened,
At the final, greatest battlefield:
‘The War of Intelligence Space’.

All Possibilities,
Right now is only at,
The other side of the Light,
Fluctuating slightly.
Only Fluctuating slightly.”

Sword Art Online series – THE END
2005.01.31 - 2008.07.25

He said he might do one more arc though, after CotM

So this was just talking about v19-v20

But how will I ever know if KYH's Dad is Kirito?

really? I assumed he meant Moon Cradle itself when he said they'll go on a bit more after v18 ended
i'd sort of prefer it ends after v20 desu, anything post alicization will just feel like stretching the story beyond as best a conclusion as it could've had
he can focus on progressive thereafter, and give us the aincrad we always wanted
picrelated is aw volume 19
makes you think

I gotta reread AW I didn't even know there were 21 fucking volumes released, But I do hope that Kawahara has something in mind for the eventual SAO and AW stuff if ever

>not posting one with best girl

He didn't deserve this

>that one aspie retard who keeps bumping this thread from page ten
Move on with your life.

No

You're genuinely pathetic.
Even more so than the average person on this site.

So is AW in the same timeline as SAO? I mean, the two series just share so many concepts it feels that way.

I ship Kirito x Eugeo.

I think in one of the movie interviews for this movie Kawahara said that AW takes place 100 years after SAO.

>I think in one of the movie interviews for this movie Kawahara said that AW takes place 100 years after SAO.

AW takes place in 2049 or so.

It has a Silicute Silly Singing Silica!
youtube.com/watch?v=7X3STnscxeM

I liked it better than the main series. I also like SAO/P better though, but I prefer AR overall.

AR looks like it can get really annoying while walking around.

>JRPGs always have the theme of having a final boss
This shit really happens in almost every JRPG I ever played.

Maybe you can just toggle it off.

Alice looks pretty cute, but I still prefer Sinon. She's hella fun to hang around with. Just look out for anything gun.

>The interactions of the crew in the first half did a lot more to make them feel like friends than anything in the tv show did for me
I noticed this too. I guess it's Kawahara getting better at writing on the one hand and him willing to make all side characters relevant for the movie on the other hand. Hell, Kirito was almost irrelevant in the first half and we saw Asuna just meeting up with Klein's gang at night to enjoy the game. No tsundere shit and barely any blushing faces and that stuff, just friends being friends and everyone got a bunch of nice scenes. Also, the AI plot was more technology related than the stupid rape wish in ALO or the real life killings of GGO.

Say something nice about Web Sinon.

me too user
she's not too bad considering he drew her more than a decade ago and has no actual art training

Wtf is this a real cover?

Web Sinon is a 90's heroine!

no
kirito doesn't look like a girl...
also
>tfw he changed it from her winning against him in the WN to losing in the LN
why memahara

Also removed dual lightsabers in favor of lightsaber and gun apparently.
And I also heard Sinon easily defends against Kirito's lightsaber with her own lightsaber. Any details on that?

I dont really know in all that much detail myself

Though I think in general the wn was more 'serious' and 'darker' compared to the ln

Kirito being a trap is a LN addition, I think.

There's a summary of the duel somewhere, it wasn't "easily defended" IIRC, but she was familiar with lightsaber clashing mechanics that lets her beat him.

The AW movie should have been like this.

Suguu~

Found the summary.

>At first sinon held hecateii with both hands (from the usual position of on shoulder) and kirito held phantom sword with its right hand, and after the bullet (thrown by Kirito to announce the start) reached the ground, Sinon aimed at kirito without using the scope, and kirito rushed forward with its phantom sword and ready to cut it down within 2 second.
>Although it leave enough time for sinon to fire her gun, Sinon had not fired, noticing it will probably be evicted. Then she moved her left hand away from Hecate, extend upward, holding the white cylinderial phantom sword that was hidden in the her cloth since start of the BoB, and blocked Kirito's phantom sword.
>Kirito's hit had ultra-high speed behind it, but as the phantom sword's mass=0, which Sinon assumes Kirito probably has not notice, as he's new to the world, so it has 0 inertia.
>Thus regardless of speed, the defensiive side and attack side will recive same force of replusion from the clash of 2 sword, therefore both Kirito and Sinon were forced backward. Kirito looked surprised and withdrew his right hand to resist the inertia, while sinon does not resist the inertia and instead let the sword fly high
>Then, using the left-turn of her body, she protude the Hecate II to touch Kirito's body and fire it, generating a huge hole in kirito's chest

>phantom sword
What?

TL Note: Phantom Sword means lightsaber.

I don't know, maybe that's what it was called in the WN.

Volume 5 could have been a nice movie too.

I know what it is but I remembered it being called Photon Sword, at least in the anime.

fuck that sounds much better than what was changed in
thanks kawahara

>Material Edition 22

>On August 21, 2026, fifteen days since he had returned home after rehabilitation, Kirito was doing his homework in ALfheim Online (ALO). Having trouble focusing on the school task, he thought of recent events in his life, including the sudden disappearance of Kikuoka Seijirou or the fact that Koujiro Rinko was now in command of Rath. After a while, he was approached by Alice in her Cait Sith avatar.

>Just as Kirito was about to lose himself in thought again, Alice brought his attention back to her when she informed him that Professor Koujiro had sent him an ambiguous message, which Kirito deciphered as conveying an invitation to a secret meeting with Kikouka Seijirou the following day. Finishing the discussion, the two went on hunting to help Alice raise her skills level, as the girl wanted quickly to acquire the ability to tame and ride flying dragons.

>The following day, at precisely 2:50 PM, Kazuto (Kirito) went on his bike to the Central Ginza district to see Kikuoka Seijirou. During the meeting, he learnt that all students of the SAO Survivor School would be given a new-type device which utilized FullDive technology to create Augmented Reality, despite not being a FullDive machine. The device was named the Augma.

>yfw we could've had a post Alicization Ordinal Scale but the anime writers fucked it up

>flat

What the hell happened to Kikuoka?

Scene change to Higa, at the Rath sub-branch outside of Ocean Turtle. We now know it has been three weeks since Ocean Turtle’s attack. Higa have a scar left on his shoulder, and he refused to have another surgery to remove it. Japanese Navy’s reluctance to help Ocean Turtle after the attack was pointed out on TV and the Minister of Defence is in deep trouble, as there has been a fatality within Ocean Turtle. Kikuoka has died from the wounds sustained, according to the reports. Higa sighed, and said it’s unexpected that Kikuoka had to be sacrificed.

Eugeo? More like EwwGay amirite?

but nah i excluded the second part
Kikuoka said it doesn’t matter; he’s sitting right next Higa at the moment. Kikuoka explained he has to be publicly declared dead and forced to disappear, otherwise he might be removed by the higher ups for his failure. And it was due to a ‘death’ on Ocean Turtle the anti-Rath factions are now curbed.Kikuoka have already healed from his gunshot wound, it didn’t hit any vital organs.

Summary from the WN's, LN's may have changed some details

see

that was me user

Oh no, poor Silica! What happened?

incarnation, everyone from previous arcs appearing to help the fight, asuna and yuuki MR thing, etc, yep

>Not just posting Eugeos.

Well, what happened to Silica for her to make that face?

idk its from girl ops or one of the games i think, havent read either

In all fairness, Alice swiped that from the government. Kirito doesn't have the means to build one himself, and asking Kikuoka for one and getting it would leave Kirito way more indebted to him than would be good for Kirito.

>Kirito doesn't have the means to build one himself

haha
theres nothing he can't do at this point

>random shmuck tells you to take off your AR gear
>right in the middle of a big event
>says you could die for real if you don't

Not very persuasive. Especially not with

Kawahara has talked about making a new arc (hopefully shorter than Alicization). Possibly to bring everything to a close, I guess. I'm hoping it's just like one or two volumes of fluffy MMO shenanigans. I don't think there's a reasonable way to top Alicization's story at this point.

The change wasn't the first duel they had in the exhibition match; the "change" was about their "rematch", which didn't happen in the Light Novel or anime.
In the Web Novel, they had a rematch after the final, when Death Gun was already defeated, and Sinon wins the BoB. In the Light Novel this was changed into the grenade scene where she suicides with him in a prank.

>I'm hoping it's just like one or two volumes of fluffy MMO shenanigans. I don't think there's a reasonable way to top Alicization's story at this point.

pretty much my thoughts

Watched it at Cineworld on Wednesday
Felt weird watching an anime in the cinema but it was pretty good.
The dancing scene was cute as fuck.

>he can focus on progressive thereafter, and give us the aincrad we always wanted
I'm kind of hoping he just focuses on Progressive instead of a major new post-alicization arc. Now that he's fully published all SAO arcs from the webnovels, it'd probably be best to just outright fork Progressive into its own continuity.
That AW spoiler shows that he's at least committed to AW's history going down a different path than SAO.

The impression I get from his stuff is that there are a few categories of ideas; there's stuff he's basically covered as much as he wanted (PKing), stuff he never wants to stop writing (Kirito and Asuna doing cute couple things), and stuff he keeps wanting to address but gets derailed from (technology branches like augmented reality and robotics). Also a few things he wanted to get away from but couldn't because the story was already too deeply locked into it (excessive harem antics, killing off a lot of characters that didn't really need to die; he's repeatedly apologized for these before and called them newbie writing mistakes he made).

I could see Progressive going completely off the established plot railroad somewhere between the 10th and 25th floors as he turns it towards other stuff he's interested in, and even plausibly ending the death game at the 25th floor if he really wants to move on.

Eh he'll probably stick to keeping it within canon, I think

I'm hoping for
-Kirito & Asuna whole family meetup in a game
-More Asunamom
-Asunamom sexual frustration
-Asunabro
-Sinon spinoff where she fully overcomes her gun trauma by playing Augma with friends which somehow involve that bully girl

I expect that the way Progressive is going to go is that it will be one book per floor until whatever disaster that's been foreshadowed happens on floor 10, and we'll get a time skip after that to maybe around Floor 20 or something.

Things I am interested in knowing/seeing:

1.) The outcome of the Fallen Elf plot. It is most likely going to succeed to a degree, and it will supposedly rob the humans (ie players) of one of their most powerful blessings (game features). I wonder what this will end up being.
2.) Heathcliff's entrance into the story
3.) Klein's reappearance in the story
4.) Asuna and Kirito becoming rivals/enemies, with all of the enmity and bitterness you would expect from a previously close relationship that was ruined.