Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/ibrrce.webm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't speak korean.

Why did they write イ the wrong way.

I just don't get it.

It's been a few millennia by this point, be happy they got the katakana that accurate at all

language evolves

many words lose their original meanings and gain new ones over the course of time

like, literally

Good stuff.

Pretty awesome stuff. Bravo, Anno.

10/10 best anime ending ever written.

Greatest ending ever in anything.

I hope you get die.

Masterpiece of Mankind, up there with Hamlet and La Divina Commedia.

not before you

When this scene came up, my eyes went really wide and started to tear up. I felt like I had been sucker punched.

That's funny, I just finished watching Diebuster, and up until the very end I was like "Well that was pretty fun, but I don't see how the ending could live up to that of Gunbus-"
>"That's because... The legendary girl you idolized, Nonoriri..."
>MASAKA.png
>"Is returning tonight."
>mfw

Fuckers' got me good.

I fucking lost it when they returned, jesus

I thought Diebuster was pretty shit but that scene redeemed everything.

Sausage Gainax...

I HOPE YOU GET DIE

I cried.

100% agreed. I could not have asked for a better ending.

? What are you talking about. Okaerinasai... ohhh you mean because they slanted it the other way

The definition of a 10/10 ending. I tear up every time.

It was a message from the German girl, because she always wrote it that way. Makes the whole thing even more poignant.

Don't give Diebuster any credit, it's just the same fucking ending. They couldn't possibly have fucked that up.

It was still fantastic, even if it owed 99% of its effect to the original.

That's just how strong the original's ending was.

Diebuster is an unnecessary, putrid pile of shit that didn't need to be made. Alas, it shows just how much of a talent gap there is between Imaishi and Anno.

I cried like a bitch at that bit. Wasn't expecting that... at all.

And IIRC around 50% of Sup Forums were sobbing too.

But Tsurumaki directed Die.

>finish gunbuster, start watching diebuster because gunbuster was 10/10 amazing
>oh boy, I can't wait for more hard-edged super robot military sci-f-
>robots popping out of people's foreheads
>CYBER WHALES
>bunch of whiny babies who all get about 6 seconds of screentime are "defending" Earth
>CYBER WHALES
>Buster Machine No. 7 almost gets raped by some burnout because she's apparently incapable of basic social acumen or self-defense outside of buster mode
>a-at least the Diebuster reveal will make up for this
>it's fucking nothing, dies just to stop the most full retard plan ever of pissing away all Noriko sacrificed for the sake of a single fucking space monster
>meanwhile Venus is the same fucking size as Earth but nope, we can't throw that instead

I love Nono herself, but the sole moment in which Diebuster truly shined was the reveal of Buster Machine No. 7.

Diebuster would be fine taken on its own, but it feels so far removed from Gunbuster itself that it's nothing but disappointing as a sequel.

True anime kino

Diebuster is as much of a sequel as it is a hommage, and in that regard the ending is absolute perfection. It's brilliant because it shows the other perspective, the whole show is a set up for the question "What has humanity been up to in these 10000 years?" to be answered. And given how much the concept of optimism is important to Gunbuster, it's truly heartwarming to see that humanity hasn't stopped kicking asses since day one.

Humanity in Diebuster is an embarrassing failure, though. That's kinda the whole point. They're struggling against their own defense system, and can't so much as scratch a single real Space Monster.

>meanwhile Venus is the same fucking size as Earth but nope, we can't throw that instead
All the manufacturing and infrastructure was probably on the Earth and the Moon. That's not really a plothole.

Like, building the fucking thing was a herculean enough effort. Imagine moving all that shit to Venus and then bringing Venus over too.

Well they've been confined to the sole Solar System during all this time, and even the first true space monster is many times bigger and stronger than its counterpart in Gunbuster. Space monsters in Gunbuster were all about quantity, whereas in Diebuster the final space monster was alone but also the size of a planet.

Honestly they should have just remade Gunbuster without the budget constraints. But I heard they can't because Noriko's VA is dead or too old to do cute voices.

>All the manufacturing and infrastructure was probably on the Earth and the Moon.

It's been ten thousand years, all that shit's in zero-G. Do you really think that they're machining parts intended for a planet-sized zero-g environment structure on Earth and then lofting them into orbit?

Also, you were given the impression that humanity was pretty much hanging by a thread in Gunbuster's ending, so regardless of them dealing with space monsters or not seeing them thriving this much is still significant.

Given how the setting looked like in Diebuster, yeah.

They didn't have warp technologies so they couldn't afford to ship materials to some random factory then ship it back like we do here with our Made In China merchandise. It took Nono weeks or months to get to Pluto from Titan. Humanity needed to go into overdrive to get all that shit done and ready.

Earth was always the center of humanity. In episode 2, they made a big deal about the space alien landing on Mars because it was the closest to Earth that they got to.
Mars looked like a bumpkin rural town and was probably the biggest non-Earth contributor to the manufacturing effort.
Jupiter was a trading hub.
All the other planets / moons didn't seem like they had any real colonisation efforts because of the space aliens so I doubt anybody gave enough shits to terraform Venus within a ten thousand year time window or even visit it.

AH-AH-AH AH
AH AH-AH AH

Do you have some proof of her writing it that way? Not that I don't believe you, but also I don't believe you.

If it is true though, that's the coolest shit.

If Jung had any infrastructure left behind that lasted 10,000 years to put down the message for the returning Gunbuster pilots, then nobody would've ever forgotten Noriko. Jung most definitely would've made sure of it.

But 10,000 (or is it 12,000?) years later, everybody forgot the saviour of humanity ever existed until a long lost Buster fucking machine kept asking about her after saving their asses.

They probably scrambled through some artifacts and shit to try and put out a generic welcome back message.

If there was an epilogue, Noriko would ask about Jung because she thought Jung or her descendants were behind it and everyone's going to just shrug and say they don't know who that is and she'll cry again.

You do realize that they had space construction yards in the original Gunbuster, right? It's just common sense. You can't build a space battleship on Earth, because it can't operate in atmosphere.

If you have the ability to construct in space equipment which is intended for space, there's no reason to do it at the bottom of a gravity well. You'll waste a ridiculous amount of time and energy shoving through the logistical bottleneck. It'd be literally impossible to build an entire Earth-sized booster ring on Earth, ship it to space with the two fucking ships in your entire fleet, and assemble it in time to repel an encroaching invader.

Even if we accept the absurd notion that humanity's infrastructure within the Terran system itself has regressed to the point where it's lesser than in the original series, which is a worldbuilding failure of tremendous scope in and of itself, there's absolutely no way that the planetary booster ring could have been constructed on Earth's surface.

This is just another example of Diebuster failing to pay even lip service to the military sci-fi aesthetic which defines the original.

Gunbuster shouldn't be remade. It's already as good as it can be.

Also fuck you Hidaka Noriko is still alive.

>But 10,000 (or is it 12,000?) years later, everybody forgot the saviour of humanity ever existed until a long lost Buster fucking machine kept asking about her after saving their asses.

The notion that humanity would have forgotten Noriko without the events of Diebuster is really appalling, to be perfectly honest, and completely undercuts the emotional power of Gunbuster's ending. The way you portray things here is yet another mark against Diebuster.

Humanity bothered to plot Noriko's arrival time and prepare a message ten millennia later because she saved all of humanity from the dark, and they will never forget it.

Wasn't L'Arc the one who kicked up the welcome back event? Might be remembering wrong, it's been too long since I've watched it.

What happened in Diebuster is irrelevant to the intention behind the ending of the original show, because Gunbuster was made decades before Diebuster.

Yea but she probably sounds like a raspy grandma now, I mean Gunbuster was made in the 80s. I doubt she still does VA work.

???????

She voiced Noriko in Super Robot Wars games years ago, she did pretty damn good. Don't know about her condition today.

2015 was just two years ago. She still voiced in Detective Conan and getting side roles here and there.

Nowadays she's known as a machine voice. You know, the one in GPS or whatever. Which is probably why she got a role as Sybil System in Psycho Pass.

Ahh sorry, I misread your post.

When I said "Earth and the Moon" I just meant the general space on or around it, not that all the actual factories and machining plants and welding would've been done on the Earth's surface proper.

I was just arguing against the possibility of using Venus as a battering ram in the Diebuster setting. They still would've had to ship all the shipyards and humans and materials to Venus only to ship Venus back or ship Venus first and then have the Earth and Venus destroy each other tidally.

What I liked about Diebuster was that humanity in general started as a bit disillusioned and tired about the whole war effort, especially the Topless. It was like Gunbuster's episode 1 where everybody's too busy sniffing other people's asses to try and get a leg up on status but then Nono Inazuma Kick'd a space monster and suddenly everybody starts waking up. They were all so busy being moody and not talking to each other so nothing got done and nobody improved until Lal'C chewed Nono out in space in episode 6. I really loved ep 3 of Diebuster specifically because it was a nice side story of Tycho growing the fuck up (after Nono tells her off) and deciding to be more honest with what she wants.

Then at the end of episode 6 all that disillusionment and despair is shattered and humanity suddenly has a brighter outlook on everything. And you saw that they were already shitting their pants and digging up old records between episodes 5 and 6 to look up all this stuff and find out what they were missing out on too.

Diebuster may have failed Gunbuster in the sci-fi aspect but definitely not in the storytelling and character development and themes.

the music makes the ending

Think he was just saying she might too old to do the Noriko voice.

Sort of like how Al Pacino can't do the Scarface voice anymore (for non-age related reasons) so he handpicked a successor/replacement for any future Scarface related voice work.

Kotono Mitsuishi, the original voice for Usagi in Sailor Moon, was the same one who voiced her in the remake even though she's like 50 now. I wouldn't be surprised if Hidaka could still do the Noriko voice.

???

she's doing Ursula's voice in LWA. She's still good.
my.mixtape.moe/ibrrce.webm

Yep, just shows how important music is to anime. Where is Kouhei Tanaka now?

>Kouhei Tanaka
who?

one of the most well known composers fag. Composed the gunbusters soundtrack.

He's the composer for Gunbuster. And also Gaogaigar IIRC.

I didn't expect a 6 episode anime to hit me as hard as it did when I watched it for the first time. I'm a total sucker for returning home endings.

Also on the topic of wake-up calls, Nono was probably in the same slump too. She didn't end up in an ice comet because of some battle. She probably was in just as much of a slump like the rest of humanity while being alone out there and just happened to drift away because the space monsters were also able to run things without her.

Nono wanted a different life but she herself was afraid of losing everyone again (e.g. people dying) and going back to the life of isolation she had. That's why Lal'C had to be the one to tell Noriko to snap out of it and wake the fuck up like how Noriko had to yell at Kazumi in ep 4, except the roles were reversed. Gunbuster had Noriko yelling at Onee-sama and Diebuster had Onee-sama yelling at Nono. Except instead of Kazumi not wanting to lose Coach, Nono didn't want to lose Lal'C.

Same for the Topless in general. Everybody was too caught in their own shit and clung to the Buster Machines because they were the only ones they ever could have a semblance of relating and lived the rest of their lives in depression and bitterness because they lost the one connection they had with something else. Lal'C changed that with the graduation photo and that speech in episode 6 about just wanting to have a real friend for a change without the bullshit.

Without that happening, nothing probably would've changed in the grand scheme of things. Lal'C wouldn't be researching birds, humanity wouldn't be excitedly exploring space again like they did 10,000 years ago, and Noriko and Kazumi would've landed on a world that still didn't properly remember they existed and treated them like strangers. Nikola would be the perfect avatar of humanity in that regard, bitching about how the glory days of humanity that he can't remember or cite are long gone and that the current result is just stagnation and rot.

I think people are unfair to Diebuster because of the FLCL aesthetic. It actually brings a lot to the table.

Isn't Nono/Nia's VA doing Akko's voice?

>But 10,000 (or is it 12,000?) years later, everybody forgot the saviour of humanity ever existed until a long lost Buster fucking machine kept asking about her after saving their asses.
By then, a religion around Noriko would have been ongoing.

Ursula sounds like an old lady stuck inside a middle age lady.

Guess they wrote her off thinking that she died.

I didn't really feel too emotional until the end of Diebuster and then I was practically bawling.

Loved it. I can't imagine how they will cope with the new world.

I hear 80s synth funk in my head looking at this.

Having just watched the both of these, I have to say that the writing in Diebuster was better. Sure, I dislike that they traded pseudoscience for mutant reality warpers, but the characterization seemed a lot stronger. Gunbuster seemed like a whole bunch of crying before a jarring transition into asskicking. I get that it's a coming of age story, but the development wasn't portrayed in a very compelling manner.

Is this a Gunbuster reference?

gunbuster is overrated

boring shit for 4 episodes and then 2 good episodes at the end

diebuster is a million times better

Diebuster would be perfect for me if it wasn't for the character artwork. The designs are fine for me, just the oversimplified style ruins it. tl;dr I hated FLCL's style

Haruhiko Mikimoto is top tier character designs.

>children

That style is my personal favorite, fuck you man. It's everything I like about that era of anime design.