So now that big software companies have killed the money in programming...

so now that big software companies have killed the money in programming, what are some other promising fields of employment in this dwindling economy? it seems every specialized field of labor is being reduced to a pittance.

>so now that big software companies have killed the money in programming
plz explain this to me for i am interested what you mean by it

I'm hoping that the need for bicycle mechanics will improve. Bikes offering a great alternative to cars for poor fags, such as myself. Basic maintenance is easy. Doing a rebuild on a Fox Rokshox, not so much.

Beyond that, electrical engineers are always in demand.

instead of hiring experienced programmers for a decent salary, companies now hire junior developers and offload senior level work onto them.

in addition, big tech has gone to the government and requested they teach children how to code in public school now. this will drive wages down further as it is no longer seen as a specialized field of knowledge, almost everyone will have a baseline knowledge of how to code. these people are only 5-10 years away from entering the job market.

>DEY TOOK AR JERBS
git gud and stop being a pajeet

H1B Visas ruined the field of computing, sets a price ceiling on the labor. all the pajeets work for less over natural citizens

>hire junior developers and offload senior level work onto them
i do not see this as a good idea.
> how to code in public school now
it does not guarantee there will be many good devs coming out of that and im sure many will drop it later on.
we can agree that let us say like poojeets one can learn certain syntax and basic rules of development but quality will not be there. way of thinking and approach is what matters, so i presume you already have that - therefore keep on trucking burger.

maybe you could start something on your own as well and hire some people. i dont know dude.

Every company has different computer systems to run things. Get in at ground floor in IT, learn and become a system administrator.

You will have to be willing to job hop and like moving to shity places. Only way to get raises and titles.

Just try to get in somewhere to get started then follow your gut.

In 1989 the minimum wage for an H1B visa holder (specialized, skilled worker) was set to $60,000.

So if you are a white american in the IT field, you CANNOT get paid more than $60,000 - it would be more efficient for the company to hire a Pajeet for $60k while you go fuck yourself.

So white American IT workers have to race to the bottom of the pay scale. Sub $60k just to be considered over a Pajeet, and even lower than that to be considered over your desperate white peers who will work for $35k.

The end result is Comp Sci grads all across the nation are either A) Unemployed or B) working for $35k or less. Good luck paying student loans on a $35k salary.

inb4: but muh handful of silicon valley counterexamples that apply to less than 1% of the real workforce

The government. Government jobs can't be outsourced

Is that the story you tell your parents when they ask you why you're a lazy bum who spends all day eating their food and playing video games?

I bill at $130/hr, get good

Tell us about what you specialize in

Are you a fresh college grad, or a seasoned worker?

Are you 24, or 44?

Are you rural, or do you work in a major metropolitan center?

PHD? Certifications? Specializations? Self start-up?

What have you done to help less fortunate comp-sci grads?

Again, for every success story of 1 guy on the internet making $10k per month there's 100,00 comp-sci grads who bought the 'your field is in demand and pays 60k directly out of college' lie.

You can then learn about a system from front end as system admin. Get in good with the system vendor. If you can code for their product and you know the client/user side you will be golden. Most only know one side. Try and get a job with vendor to utilize both skills.

big software doesn't really care how good you actually are. they hire thousands of people. I'm sure a lot of them are good, but i'm sure a lot of them are shit.
Microsoft has huge pools of programmers too.
on top of that they get h1bs out the ass.
They want the market saturated eventually.

He's lying

US gov shills always come in these types of threads and spread misinfo to keep the morale up

This. No matter what thread you go into, you always get the impression the economy is booming and people are regularly making $80,000+ a year with minimal debt. Going outside and talking to people tells you this is all bullshit. Realistically, most people are a paycheck away from disaster, and the rest aren't far behind. There's a top down assault on the middle classes' wealth.

yeah most people around me don't even know what 401k / IRAs are. Kinda depressing.

CANDEEE MOUNTAIN!!!!!!

Learn Agile, perhaps SCRUM. Manufacturing and Continuous Improvement are the current paradigms of SoftDev. Being able to code is just a lower requirement, you've gotta learn how to be a group member, individual skill is not good to the group, that is; hogging your skills to become an essential worker creates single points of failure withing the group. Modern software teams need to be agile reacting to changing requirements of the end users. Forget trying to be a genius, perfect being a team player = success.

This makes me happy. At least I'm studying something I enjoy instead of looking for a job market who can change on yearly basis

Agile is nothing more than corporate jargon - the latest HR buzzword

>latest
SCRUM is based upon Lean Manufacturing, this method of development has being in practice for decades.

>I'm sure a lot of them are good, but i'm sure a lot of them are shit.
yes i have seen that once upon time when i had few dealings with such types. some of them are beyond bad.

well then only choice is to start on your own, and deliver quality products that will rival those dumbdumbs.

You’re totally right though. Also most app framework stuff is now so good and so stable you need less coders to make apps and stuff. Snapchat is 50 people and not even half of those are coders.

that is part of the problem, they are making software into a factory-type job where they think people just hit the keyboard and programs come out.

it's should be more like a creative endeavor like an ad agency

been here for a while agile. extreme programming once upon a time, yes if you got top of the line team agile is a sticker applied to it. most of the time it is a waterfall degenerating into build and fix if team is on a lower end of expertise in analysis/dev/testing.

this 100%, the reason everyone seems well off here is because people who visit these boards are very menisque minority, lets say there is 1000 people who visit these boards actively, spread all over the world, and while it might seems like everyone is successful, reality is 1000 people in 7 billion aren't even a 1%, so yeah all these retards that call you lazy are cretins who cannot concept the world around them and they only say that shit until it hits them which it always happens sooner or later. I too was making a bank in my early 20's until I hit 30's right after housing crash and suddenly I realized what a playing field really looks like.

well most people aren't going to go out of their way to tell you they only make 20grand or something either.
it's kind of confirmation bias

>creative endeavor like an ad agency
wtf are you talking about? Whoring yourself is creative?

"""teamwork""" is another way they drag great people into hegemony mediocrity

Morticians. People are still always going to die.

It is not the field of the future unless you’re really really good at coding. Frameworks and operating systems are so good now they hardly need work. Notice how none of your apps crash anymore? Remember bluescreens? Yeah neither do i.
And apps and websites come out of the box almost if you look at the latest mvc stuff. Snapchat is a company that employe 50 people, and not even half of that is coders.
Forget about going in IT. Maybe robotics and stuff like that is the future.

along the lines of those "web devs" that use cms or w/e is the name to "create" websites vs guys who can script front and code backends. i think.

I always laugh at people who think things are just going to stay the same. It's only going to get worse economically, and it's mostly out of Trump's control. Maybe the next big (((market correction))) will wake people up.

>great people
No, being a snowflake within the group is a single point of failure, e-celebs are single points of failure(SPOF), if the group ends up following e-celebs, and each of them is routinely taken out like Kraut, then the group become fragmented and lost. The goal is to normalize the team, removing dependencies that can lead to SPOF, basically you want to decouple your teams allowing them to react to problems independently without depending on someone else to do the majority of the workload.

medicine is always in demand

Now I'm even more confused.

I think it's more about outsourcing. You don't even need to bring Pajet or Sergei in your country. Just make a 20$/hour bid on a site and get your shitty e-shop done.

i meant tv/magazine spots. i don't like them and i think they are leeches, but i would consider their work creative; a few loose ideas and connecting it to the product.

Don't know about the states dude but I retrained as a CGI artist from being a Graphic designer. My salary has went from £25k to £50k in 2 years. Don't know about the mainland but in Northern Ireland programming is still pretty lucrative.

there's plenty of shitholes you can buy fruit cheap from and sell them as organic in america since they are organic because shitholes, serbia for instance has plums and raspberries, croats started growing some yellow kiwi, macedonia has cheap excellent wine that is only cheap because they're a shithole, bosnia... don't even know what they have but it's cheap, that's just the local shitholes I know of, a bit more east you'll probably find even cheaper stuff, so yeah, start an import company for shitholes

yes, but then you become just a cog and replaceable, again like a factory worker. Meanwhile mr. MBA manager that didn't even have to take calculus in college rakes in more money over his farm of code-monkeys, while the salary floor gets lower and lower

I'll sell you pineapples! I can get them a buck each before shipping.

wordpress for example, i never used it, content management systems is that the name? anyone can do that.
vs knowing html/css/any script of your choice + designing a schema for normalized db + connecting both via mid trough some language/script.

Yup, this also. I worked a while in it and ive seen the business change really quickly. Only government consultantcy pays off in europe. The rest is far and between

what's really activates my almonds is how these "legit web developers' have these fancy sites but when you look at source code it's all bought templates from themeforest and such, most of these webdev houses are frauds

>yes, but then you become just a cog and replaceable,
Yes, this is the paradigm

> Meanwhile mr. MBA manager that didn't even have to take calculus in college rakes in more money over his farm of code-monkeys
There's always going to be owners up the chain in big organizations, the goal of Agile methodologies is to remove them also. Agile companies are horizontal in organization, you're relating to vertical management structures.

Really if you're that expert in your field, you should really create your own company or become a lecturer and live in semi-retirement.

okay

kek, I was looking at one the other day, it was a WebDev company's own site, many of the pages still had DreamWeaver latin included.

You don't want to work at any of those companies user. You will just be but at really boring crap, it's too much hr and grab ass. You want to work a place where you get to code properly without all that bureaucratic bullshit and well shitty stuff.

I like smaller teams and companies, it's most effective and usually people are really good. Kinda gay when you work on shit with other people you don't even see or know or anything, and it's not like some online thing either where good people find each other, that's really different, because that can actually work.

Having a bunch of idiots in your source that doesn't know how to computer at all, tons of middle bosses, semi bosses half bosses in that all to much american style. nah pass.

See most new cool shit, it's always small teams, thight knit teams, then these big companies usually buy whatever cool shit they produce

Code monkey hell no thanks. You know this right? In windows 8/10. It's always such a big problem if they has to so so much as add a control in the control panel or wherever... Because nobody there knows how to do it, I am not kidding. Didn't save this text from a guy from that team at ms. Tragic

>many of the pages still had DreamWeaver latin included.
uh i lold now

you got mangos? those can make a nice profit in europe

sure, plenty of mangos here, I've got them growing in my backyard too like a $1 per kg

>consultantcy
Sadly this gov and no gov. During the 2k's we lost so many dev houses to this. Really good ones too. The consultants are paid very well, so people flock to it too. They live of making really shitty stuff, so that they have to be hired in more, they do it deliberately but they are also not particularity good.

It's all a money scam. Back in the 90ies it's was almost only competent people working in this sector, these big consultant houses has really ruined a lot of shit here when it comes to this. You still have good houses and so, but not as it was back then. The best thing is to start something on your own, or it will just be code monkey jobs anyways. Well paid jobs, but you really hate making shit shitty on purpose just because of muh shekels.

So consultants, that's big here. Shitty coders.
Or you got the military linked shit, which is also very good shekels stuff, also cool. Better competanse here, but not everyone want to work on weapon systems and missiles you know. Making new penguins and whatnot

Mechanic only safe field anymore?

I wanted to do that, but I'm color blind.

when I make enough money for a ticket and a tonne of mangos I'll shitpost here to find you

sounds good, buying in tonnes will drop the price by half if not more direct from the farm. Mango trees grow freely here and you can find them in parks and canyons pretty easy

More and more the economy resembles a cutco knife pryamid scheme and I expect it to get worse with each passing year, more and more americans forced to hustle and con each other to keep their own heads above water.

robotics is still it though user, very much so.
Very fun field, most we got here is related but we got some other shit too. Engineer here specialized in robotics, automation and ml

Go into financial services

excellent, that means that a tonne of mangos quadruples your money in europe

any europoors with a ship?

I could not work at something completely at odds with my morality. How can you work at something you want to destroy?

Something blue collar. People like paying sweaty muscly white morons lots of money.

Whilst they're having their and or their kids ass
sold down the river they like paying this rock ape that can barely read like he's a doctor. Even though you could bring in about 10 million gooks in overnight and get them to do it for about 1/10 the money. Not that I am suggesting they get cucked that hard.

Must be another Chad thing. Whenever I'm sweaty from hard work or from doing exercise people like me a lot more.

>How can you work at something you want to destroy?

Money destroys all morality

Welfare giver-outer

LETS GIVE CORPORATIONS TAX CUTS

>most we got here is
err most robotics jobs we got here is mil related

No plan on actually getting the tax. Is the left gonna nuke the Caymans? What's Trudeau done? Fuck all it seems. Gutless poser faggots.

Sounds fucking gay.

>agile
>latest

>any europoors with a ship?
ofc, check my flag

Sup Forums is an agile team, e-celebs are single points of failure.

>but not everyone want to work on weapon systems and missiles you know

> apply for job
> have to do a bunch of IQ tests

Being dumb is suffering.

You're either not a very good programmer or dont know how to send a resume and compose yourself for 10 minutes without thinking theres a conspiracy against you.
Companies are starving for talented programmers here in the bay area...with skill, you could go into an interview dressed like a slob with shit stains on your sweatpants and theyd hire you...to work remotely though.

we're going to costa rica user, where is it easiest to pick me up? I can manage money for the mangos, we split them 50-50

>have higher IQ than the manager
>manager wants to keep his job
>doesn't hire you

fuck you brainlets and your low barriers to entry.

You sound like a spoiled kid. Muh morality. If we looked into it we would likely find your horizontal companies work on government grants of debt and never get anything done. You are either very rich or very young. In the real world people go to any lengths to get paid. And so will you.

kek yes we all want to make shit that fries kebab and shit, but all that security and shit user. I come from a military family with too much of that shit, so I can't stand it my self. Not being able to tell your kids what you are doing and so
If they over hear something and ask you about it, you hae to stand there and lie straight in their faces and so. No I have had enough with that growing up

Would take 2 or 3 good programmers over 30 pajeets any day. Solid architecture and high IQ creates better bug free software than any of this project management horse shit does.

If applied to coders it does nothing but steal credit, if applied to pajeets it may help a little bit logistically but other than that it is a steaming pile of horse shit.

tt. skilled programmer

it is easy money if you could find boomer buyers, but yes you are correct.
norway enlists battle penguins into the army. robotics could be related to transformers building then. should be interesting.

I guess if we could meet up in portugal

OP, programming is the shittiest field in IT. Too many things to know, too many OS, too many languages,too many IDEs, too many types of applications, server, desktop, web, mobile apps etc. Besides, very easy to outsource.

IT is not only coding. You live in America, companies are spending billions here on other IT shit, like storage, networking, security, databases and servers. All this crap won't fly by itself and requires technicians/engineers to maintain and operate. These jobs are virtually impossible to outsource because nobody would trust a Pajeet to configure their 1mln dollar system. There are tons of jobs in these fields. They are pretty easy to learn because many products are now virtualized and there are many training courses available. You can prove your knowledge by achieving vendor certifications. Find something that you like and start low, just to enter into the field. After a year you can change the job for something better. Just disregard the money that you'll be making in the first year. Literally, just work for food and concentrate on knowledge accumulation, as much as you can. If you stick to this, in a couple of years you should expect making $60-80k or maybe more depending on the skills you'll be able to acquire. Good luck.

>Solid architecture and high IQ creates better bug fre
TDD creates bug free code. TDD is Agile

> of this project management horse shit does.
You literally described Agile methods in one of your comments, seems you're a professional hypocrite.

>code monkeys BTFO
'Bout damn time.

well pretty sure it's cheaper to get to norway, tho once I got to norway I'd probably just kill someone and stay in a norwegian prison and have better living standards than now

>You sound like a spoiled kid.
> moral
You sound like a complete retard

We have secretly armed the entire south pole with robotic penguins for or next and final battle with the damn whales
>soon
make grytviken great again

I love how everyone falls for the comp sci / programming meme, but gets fucked over by the competition. good luck competing against the poos and chinks.

Are you a legit tard? Snap has way more employees than 50 people.

but ycombinator said everyone makes 140k remote and cashes out with 10 million when the company goes public

No shit right? It's like a doctor giving me a note for medical leave. Even though the concept of no work no pay eludes him. What's he gona do? Throw out his back taking my urine sample? Then a young guy with a degree wants to tell a old heavy equipment operator how to build shit when the old man has experience and seen more obstacles.

bantz aside though op, find a niche you like and specialize your self in that.

Being just a general programmer is not so good, you got so many of those.

So ie specialize your self in say
>infosec
>robotics
>ml
>whatever

something your average codemonkey can't do, and sets you apart from them. It will also increase your salary a lot, if you are not that easy to just replace. Before I took my degrees, I was still specialized then in graphics, telephony and broadcast. The two latter I simply learned on the job, it was easier times. Just find some field to really focus on and get really good at that. Make sure to start some projects on your own, which you can use as demonstrations / refs later when you seek for a job that matches that. That's really important when you apply for a job somewhere they work with the same stuff

Say computer games then, they won't care so much about school stuff really, if you can show them you rown kickass game engine. They would rather hire you then, than some random freshly educated general programmer ofc

is that why Linux is so popular

I saw this coming a mile away with shitty ass web programmers and entry level salesforce programmers and shit.

Now that all the dev tools are GUI based like fuckin Unreal Engine modding they can hire any 15 year old kid for 20 bucks an hour to copy/paste old functions and replace button textures.

I had an ex girlfriend who was a barista her whole life. She thought she was going to make it big in IT but she "didn't want to have to learn" so she got into web programming. MFW industry is fucked thanks to sites like wix and foursquare.

Isn't taking iq tests as part of a job interview illegal in the US? If so, seems odd it would be legal in Canada

>microsoft
Read it and cry/laugh.
>Why can't you just add a combobox in that view?
>Erm.. no because..
They don't know how to even do that there...

if you know WPF, you know what the problem is her.... When I read this, it all made sense to me

They lit do not know how to add a simple usercontrol in any windows shit... just... it's so messy, and they are so incompetent.

Often there are aptitude tests that are surrogates for IQ tests. Most are just IQ tests by another name with minimal specialization specific modifiers. Example: military aptitude tests.