About to jump down this filename

About to jump down this filename.
a) What am I in for?
b) Is there an objectively correct order to watch / read it in?
yeah yeah I fucked up

just fucking watch it

What the fuck? Just watch it dumbass

Any particular order?

It's game time!

broadcast order, clearly. use wikipedia

Neon Genesis Evangelion (replace episodes 21-24 with their director's cut version) -> The End of Evangelion
The other entries are extras.

Episode 1 goes before episode 2

Well let's see:
There's an anime called Neon Genesis Evangelion.
There's a movie called End of Evangelion.
And then there's a series of movies called Rebuild of Evangelion.
Do you think you can figure out the intended watch order by yourself?

Dont listen to the posts here. They are tricking you. You want to start at Episode 12 first. It explains everything that lead up to the beginning. Then take a look at episode 18. After that do 7-11 then 1-4 and follow that up with 18-24. If you liked that, finish it up with 5-6 then 13-17. The show wasnt meant to be viewed in a straight chronological order and it actually ends very anticlimactically if you do it that way. Follow the broadcast

The fuck are you doing, watch it before someone spoils you.

So is 4.44 ever happening?

Its not the greatest anime ever created. Jsyk. If you go into it with that expectation of it, it'll ruin it. Thats how Evafags ruined Eva for everyone.

Evangelion is like taking a huge shit.
It's painful to get through, but once it's over you'll just feel empty inside.

ill have his dick in my ass so i wont be that empty kaworu is best girl

Ep. 5 ending
wow. spawn camper.

Only a child would let his opinion be formed that easily.
An openminded well educated adult is able to focus on the viewing experience and put expectations people pushed on him aside.

>Hurr hurr hurrrrrr
>muh patricianism
The post

>I don't take into account the perspectives of other individuals with unique points of views unlike my own
>this makes me intelligent
That makes you autistic

The people who take it serious when people praise something as "the best thing ever", get excited and disappointed afterwards are the autists.
It's not about ignoring other people, it's about being aware of how they affect your expectations and not letting that blindly lead you to be disappointed.

If someone recommends a thing he really likes and you want to check it out, that's cool.
The problem is retards who then go shitpost on Sup Forums complaining that they feel different about the thing.

That's a quite an accurate description of the process.
EoE made me want to die.

You're correct. I'm sorry user.

From my personal opinion
>Half a show about mechs fighting aliens, standard stuff but it's fun and I like the designs and characters.
>1/4 of a show turning dark and mysterious, some fucked up shit is going on behind the scenes and I want to know!
>last 1/4 of the show making each character insufferable with a pretentious fucking ending that is obvious was scrapped together because budget
>A retcon movie that the first half is decent like an episode but you fucking hate the main character
>second half is weird and you then go on anime forums to try and talk about what you watched whether its a masterpiece or pretentious garbage.

This
...and it IS pretentious garbage
The reason the first 5 or so episodes were great is because those were the episodes they pitched to networks.

Watch Rebuild 2.22, then End of Evangelion. Afterwards you can choose between Rebuild 1.0 or the TV Series. After watching both, enjoy 3.33.

Get the sephirotic batch on nyaa. (55gigs).
Watch the tv series (nge) in order then the final movie (end of evangelion)
You might hear terms like death, rebirth and rebuild. Death is a poorly made summary of the anime. Rebirth is the first half of End of eva. Rebuilds are a completely new reboot/spinoff that isnt quite as good.

Also, the mythology of the series is a little confusing and never explained in the anime, so people get confused. Try to focus on the characters instead of the religious stuff, it helps to ground you into the series. Pop up here later to get answers about the mythology

What exactly do people mean when they say "it's pretentious"?

Death is a great summary you faggot, you should watch it before going into EoE.
It's what it was made for.

You can skip Rebirth.

Pretentious means it's trying to be deep for the sake of looking deep without actually sitting down and fully realizing it. A lot of modern art is like this. If I film water drops falling into a cup from a cooler in black and white and say it represents time passing, one could say that it's deep and one could say I threw that shit together and pretending it was deep.

In this specific case it means Hideaki "the Master" Anno directly projected his mental health issues onto the show in a way that only his therapist could possibly understand which left viewers making up baseless theories to explain what happened.

I disagree about the original tv ending being pretentious. On the contrary, it is so mundane

Instrumentality just end up being a big group therapy. There isnt much pretentiousness on that, just people actually talking about their problems and trying to improve. Like normal humans do.

If you just came from the tv series + the directors cut there is literaly nothing new on death, unless you have shit memory.

>sitting down and fully realizing it
But Eva does just that.
And how is it just "trying to look deep".
Where's the difference between trying to be deep and being deep.
Because the way I see it Eva has plenty of complex characters acting very true to human nature and the whole story is presented in a way that doesn't just spell everything out.
And what exactly does "deep" mean.
I'm just asking because these are buzzwords nobody bothers to think about and just spouts them to seem smart.

You don't need to be a therapist to get what NGE's story was about.
It's simply a story about life. About growing up and the many difficulties people face in their lives while trying to fulfill their desires. Also meta commentary on otakus.
This isn't quantum physics, sure some plot details are unanswered and a rewatch may be needed but what's not to get?

1. Yes there is, there are still some scenes in death that aren't included in the DC

2. If you came from the tv series chances are you didn't marathon it all in one day so you may have forgotten some things from earlier in the show. So it's good to watch a summary before heading into EoE.

so is it general consensus that the first 5 episodes were great? Cause I watched the series recently and I thought that too, but I'm still not too deep into the discussion

I'd concede to a degree that Eva's true themes aren't as complicated as most believe but, they're expressed in a way thats way more confusing than they need to be. I guess that's part of the appeal of Eva- figuring it out.

Yes, most people including myself would agree the first 5 or 6 episodes were very well thought out and incredibly visually striking even by todays standards. But this is Sup Forums so someone is bound to dissent.