Does anyone watch dubs...

Does anyone watch dubs? I find it weird that anime dubbing is as big as it ever has been but no one as far as I can tell watches dubs, like who is the audience for this shit? Even autists on reddit watch shit subbed. Who in the fuck is supporting the dub industry?

Surprisingly enough they are more popular than you think, especially with kids in middle and high school. Also dubs now are much more well produced than in the early-mid 2000's and leagues above the pre-2000 shit show. Most dubs now are passable at the very least.

I only know this because my little brother is in middle school and whenever I visit home he is watching simuldubs on funimation

It's weird, some dubs air a few episodes after the subbed episodes start.

Phone users. I stream dubs on my phone in bed because it's harder to read on the phone and harder to fall asleep with subs.

I have both but I watch dubs as background noise while I do other things

Dubs are a pretty viable option for people who are just casual viewers, especially since all the most popular anime is simul-dubbed like Youjo Senki and Maid Dragon last season. A few of my friends are casual viewers and will just watch the dub because it's easier and dubs have evolved to the point where a lot of the time they are very well done (both maid dragon and yojou senki have really good dubs) so it's a good alternative. I think that subs are still better 99% of the time, I mean you ain't topping Aoi Yuuki, but the dubs are good in their own right.

Funimation basically lets Crunchyroll control the sub market while they put all their effort into dubbing a few currently airing anime every season so we get dubs of currently airing anime, that are well produced, within a week or 2 of the original airing.

what is her damage?

Sup Forums is a vacuum chamber, and if that's what you're basing your assumption off of you're a fucking idiot.

If you've ever talked to someone who's said 'I don't like to watch things with subtitles because all I do is read the subtitles instead of watching the show', then you'd know why dubbing is viable. There are a very large group of these people, and a subset of them are also anime watchers.

I've been exposed to these people, one of them uses my bathroom and watches dubbed anime on their phone while they shit.

>who is the audience for this shit?
this guy

Is your phone a 2.5" screen? There's no reason to need dubs unless you're holding the screen 3ft away.

Every single time you don't know the anwser to a "who the fuck wants X" question, the anwser is 'normies'

Every single fucking time, from dubs, through minions, to nigger music

I didn't say I NEED dubs, I also watch subs on it when I'm wide awake. I said it's HARDER (right before falling asleep).

>'I don't like to watch things with subtitles because all I do is read the subtitles instead of watching the show'

I've heard people say this but I never got it, like who the fuck is incapable of reading and watching a show? Unless English is your third language or you're illiterate a fucking baby can do it. My 12 year old kid cousin watches subs without an issue, how autistic and inept do you have to be to struggle reading and watching something?

There was one time, when Kekkai Sensen (aka Blood Blockade Battlefront) was on an undefined hiatus right before the last episode, we were just patiently waiting for the last episode to be released. By that time the dub was out, and since I already loved the show so much I decided to give it a go while I waited, so I rewatched the whole series dubbed just in time for the finale. It was pretty fucking phenomenal, actually.

Second-hand illiteracy is a huge issue in the US

I would assume people who don't read manga also watch anime with dub.

Honestly I doubt they'd have much trouble with it, most people are just stubborn and set in their ways.

I'd actually watch Yoko senki in English. Seems like it'd be better that way

Fact.
Sometimes it matters a little in very well animated shows, like I hear about people who first watch the sub for the story then the dub for the animation.
False assumption. Reading subs is way easier than reading manga, many people who watch subs also don't read manga (and some who read manga don't watch anime). It's apples and oranges.

not 1 to 1, but I would assume that like 60 to 80% of people who don't read manga (or manga version of anime) watch anime with dubs.

So damn ugly, who is the audience for this shit?

A lot of people are into anime but you'll never know it, and these people usually watch dubs.

Dubs are pretty good for getting people into anime. I recommend people Fate / Zero and UBW all the time and as a result they usually end up getting hooked and binge watching a ton of anime on netflix. In fact my coworker now is as into anime as I am and watches subs. So it works as a good gateway, plus most dubs done in the last 4 years have ranged from decent to outstanding the dub industry has come a long way in production value and talent, not just the same 4 people voicing every character in every anime, now there's like 10.

I personally enjoy dubs since I don't speak the original language and have no plans on learning how to do so. I'm sure it boils down to the individual but for me I prefer any form of entertainment to be presented in a way that is easiest for me to understand. Also English voice actors tend to have really nice voice inflection and can increase tension for me in the proper moments.

Cancer

This pretty much, Sup Forums likes to pretend that anime is still a sekret club thing but it's gotten pretty main stream. I mean nearly every majot city in the US has an anime convention, anime is a category in every major streaming site (Netflix Hulu, Amazon), both Funi and Crunchyroll have huge user bases, and just in the US anime is a hundred million dollar industry. So yea, a lot of casuals exist that watch anime just like they watch anything else and they watch it dubbed.

There are a surprising amount of people that are adamant on dubs. If you look at the comment section anytime any publisher announces a localized BD release, you'll see lots of people either praising the company for including dubs or claiming they arent going to buy it and shun the company because lack of a dub (doesnt really matter either way because they arent going to pay anything over $50). Pony Canyon US has a large hate group because they do not do dubs. They are mostly normalfags that watch Ghibli, Toonami, or whatever shit is on Netflix

The average normie is too slow to keep up with subs without pausing all the time.

Even biologists agree.

Americans.

That's not true, try not to swing your fedora around, it makes you sound like a condescending autismo.

>The average normie is too slow to keep up with subs without pausing all the time.
Y-yeah, just the average normie...

The first Persona 4 anime is amazing.

Does the west even buy BDs?

You need to go back.

Everyone was butthurt at One Piece's dub so they never ever talk about dubs ever again.

Not for anything other than collector's value at cons and shit. Most money comes from subscriptions and actual merchandise

Not either of them, but why so mad at the term? Focusing on the origin is literally a fallacy (genetic fallacy), it's useful and rolls off the tongue better than normalfag.

It can be a problem for scenes that rely on quick editing and a constant flux of new images alongside dialogue, but most anime don't feature anything like that.

>pretending to be an oldfag because someone used a diffrent version of a popular slur

Worlds evolve, you chink-chonk nigger.

The world does evolve, but retards do not.

I find that dubs tend to grow on you, almost every dub I've seen in the last year I started out hating but after like an episode or two goes by it is a lot better. Not sure if it is the actors growing into their roles or Stockholm syndrome. I do notice that the first episode is usually the worst though

Fuck

There goes my internet credibility

Wait, you can't? I'm not even native english speaker, and I don't have any troubles with subs.

>dub does the squeaky high pitched girl

Good luck liitle duck!

God I hate when dubs try to do kid voices and it ends up sounding forced as fuck. It isn't hard to find someone to do a childish voice, they are all over youtube. Or just do what the Japs do and hire a teen.

the problem isn't the currently popular version, but the use of retarded memespeak in the first place.

There's no argument being formulated here, you can shove your fallacies up your ass.
And if you really would say these words out loud, then there is really no salvation for you.

dubs are for casuals
voice acting in almost every other region sucks noodles, if you enjoy dubs its because you don't have the brain capacity to read and watch at the same time.

>implying the divide between avarage joe and true patricians is memespeak

The only one who needs to go back is you, filth

No, I just think it's really embarrassing. Even widely used things like misusing the word "cringe".

Yet here you are, devolved. Fuck off back to /r9k/.

Oh, absolutely, anyone who uses the word 'cringe' nowadays should be put against the wall and shot, I agree. It was never a good word to begin with anyway.

This is really good b8

Anyone who seriously believes this doesn't know Japanese well enough to tell how cheesy the voice acting is

That's cringy af.

the only anime I watched with dub was Shaman King back when I was a kid.

Never Ever

Sometimes I'll check out a dub of something if I really like it just to compare
I usually don't bother rewatching the whole series dubbed though

I don't see how that changes the fact that dubs are for retards.

Could tokusatsu ever be so popular as anime?

For me it depeneds on context. When alone I prefer Subs but when I am introducing people to something or like maybe studying I prefer the english dub.

>There's no argument being formulated here, you can shove your fallacies up your ass.
And if you really would say these words out loud, then there is really no salvation for you.

The only reason I wouldn't say it out loud is I'm an ESL and have nobody to say it to, but shortening terms is even more important for spoken words. I damn well would rather say "normie" than either "normalfag" or "average person" when I know it's meaning will be understood.

I'm mad, that's why I misquoted and put an apostrophe where it doesn't belong, so congrats I guess.

>Wanting to watch something in your native language is for retards

That logic is retarded. I could see your point if every dub was as trash as they were in the 80s and 90s, but nowadays they are just a step below their sub counterparts and unless you have been watching subs your whole life you won't notice the difference in quality of performance.

An example of some good dubs would be these bad boys here

>wanting to consume foreign media with a spoken language other than the original is for retards

ftfy, and yes it is

>Anyone who seriously believes this doesn't know Japanese well enough to tell how cheesy the voice acting is
I don't think this argument holds up, I've seen some old OVAs that had clearly amateur seiyuus.

sequential trips, wow.

It may not be incredibly high quality voice acting but they sure as hell have better actors and larger budgets than English voiceover work

It's not as if the Japanese voice acting market is flawless, there are plenty of horrible seiyuu that deliver stale performances just as bad as American VAs.

That said, the quality of talent and the size of the industry in Japan make up for it by being leaps and bounds ahead of the VA industry in the US. For every couple of shitty seiyuu there are phenomenal super talented seiyuu with wide range. Since the industry there is so much more competitive there is a lot more talent and the Japanese seiyuu as a whole are leagues ahead of America where you have a sea of shit VAs and a handful of good ones.

However America has been getting a lot better with its dubs, the industry is expanding, more talent is coming in, and the quality of dubs is much better now. A few years ago a handful of VAs did fucking everything, I remember JYB was like in 75% of all anime being dubbed at one point. Now the playing field is a lot more dispersed.

i have a friend who only watches dub. he won't watch any anime if it isn't dubbed. he's also black

I do when I have to do something else and can't be bothered to read the subs.

Blacks like dubs. I have a black friend who insists that the Fate series is better dubbed than subbed and every time I see him I try not to commit a hate crime.

>all the dub apologists itt

I used to be a sub fanatic but now I watch dubs.
Some of them are actually really good, they let you divert your deficient attention to something for a moment else and they let you understand quick paced scenes without needing to rewind.
Of course depends on the show. I can't imagine joshiraku as a dub. But I'm rewatching a lot of yoshitashi ABe stuff lately and the dubs are very good.

I hate it when dubs take a girl with a lower voice and give her a squeaky high pitched helium voice.

The only dub I watched was bleach up to the end of the first arc. It was pretty decent except every time Zangetsu spoke I kept getting flashbacks of Illidan screaming "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED".

>maidragon
>good dubs
They were shit, just like your taste.

Dubs have gotten better since ye olden days where it was cool to hate on them. Fuck a year ago I was in your shoes saying dubs can burn in a fire, then I started watching some with a friend who was interested in getting into anime and noticed how much it has improved. Hell even genres that traditionally have horrible dubs like SoL are starting to get really good like Maid Dragon's dub.

Except it is a pretty good dub. Tohru and Kanna sound like shit in the first 2 eps but get a lot better, Kobayashi's sarcasm and dry humor actually works better in English, Fafnir works better in English too. The only voice that doesn't fit is Lucoa and it isn't like she's on screen all that much so it's forgivable

>Not liking the dub

What is wrong with you, Kobayashi is way better in the dub

I don't speak Japanese and I never will, and beings I don't have any delusions about this, I'm perfectly comfortable enjoying a show with audio in a language I understand.

underrated post

There we go with the spacing again.

Hell no. Her VA sounds like she could careless about voicing

All these (You)s and so little time.

Dubs are good for kids because then its just another cartoon. So yeah mostly kids. Nobody cares about subtitle watching neckbeards because they all pirate anyway. Kids are the ones whose moms will buy the anime for them to watch.

If you've ever been to a convention, you can see how many people actually watch dubs vs subs. The casual loves their voice actors while will still watch the subbed anime when it comes out during the season.

>Tohru and Kanna sound like shit in the first 2 eps
>The only voice that doesn't fit is Lucoa and it isn't like she's on screen all that much so it's forgivable
>accepting shit when it could just sound good all the time instead
Dubfags.

>The only voice that doesn't fit is Lucoa

I wish someone with Eva Longoria-like voice did the VA.

She sounds apathetic and sarcastic...just like Kobayashi

No one is saying the dub is better, the tradeoff is less solid performance for an easier watch. Personally I don't watch dubs, but if I am recommending something to a casual or newcomer it helps to have a good dub available.

People like you are the reasons why casuals stay casuals.

I watch both, not a problem really when a 12 episodes series can be finished in a sitting and you an get dual audio releases from Exiled Destiny.

>listening to chinky voices whilst reading text

Sure is great to be a sub fan.