I'm curious to see where this goes

I'm curious to see where this goes.

Who here still owns anime on VHS & Laserdisc?

fuck off gramps

I have my VHS still but I never got on the LD train to begin with

I don't blame you, only a handful of english releases came out in america, where as Japan had over 1000 Anime on laserdisc to choose from. It was the medium of chaice for anime for like 15 years, but really never took off in america. I don't think they even finished releasing things like Eva in english.

>Maxell Gold VHS
I'm ashamed to remember/know that these were like 3x more expensive than most blank cassettes

>Laserdisc
I don't think i've ever seen anyone that owned LD other than Star Wars and maybe Top Gun.

Me, but my VCR is busted, U_U
I remember those days that I went on pilgrimage to get my bootlegged anime on VHS.
I watched EVA this way.

Oh, those were the times.

whenever i see that image posted I freak the fuck out because I'll swear I wrote some of those labels
I was somewhat active in the tape trading community during the late 80s and sent quite a few around the country.

it could be coincidence. there's no way to verify but shit it's odd

>I'm curious to see where this goes.

It goes to a bad place... Yes, I have both VHS and Laserdiscs. Classic on VHS: Akira, Ninja Scroll, M-66 and a few autographed items from Carl Macek (Look him up).

Lots of Macross on laserdisc, but my favorite in that collection is Tank Police.

All I got left of my LD collection is a Tenchi Muyo one. All my tapes are probably rotting in the boxes up in the garage and shed.

Much of my VHS collection was donated to a nursing home iirc, cracks me up thinking some old lady in her 80s is watching 0079 and zeta.

still, fuck my parents for doing it without asking it beforehand.

> rotting
VHS is surprisingly robust
hard to break, easy to repair

I wonder how many obscure OVAs are still on a VHS somewhere and not on the internet.

>that friend that spent thousands of dollars on low-quality VHS hard subs in the late 90s early 2000's just before P2P caught on
>wouldn't ever lend you any under any circumstances

Bet your REALLY glad you kept them in mint condition now, you cunt.

Never owned any before, but I've contemplated starting a Laserdisc collection.

Can be expensive and only somewhat rewarding. Would like to get the complete collection of the Tylor tv run but its expensive and I no longer have a player.

>LD anime collection

Hard stuff to come by. At least it's NTSC. Late model pioneer players do component out so the look as good as they can considering the format. Now if I could only find one of these...

I do, I have the first 3 series of THE SLAYERS, Saint Tail, those who hunt elves, sailor moon and sailor moon r, mai hime. gurren lagan, lucky star, strike witches, nanoha, crest of the stars, kiddy grade, chrono crusade, haruhi, some Miyazaki films etc.

Don't bother looking for this on VHS, but there were some Beta copies

Still have my old colection of anime VHS in the basement among them the entirety of Cowboy Bebop and Eva. Never owned any anime Laserdiscs unfortunately as it was waaay out of my price range when it was still a thing.

Oh and my bootleg fansubs i used to buy from the local mall too. Shit i forgot about these.

>Laserdisc
Why're you using fancy words for CDs and DVDs?

You mean a fancy word for shiny records.

Isn't the content of Daicon technically illegal or something because of all the copyright violations and the people who worked on it want nothing to do with it now?

Had a local comic-con that had tons anime that was poorly hard subbed. Later down the road, they had fan subs for sale. During the final days (mid to late 2000s), you could buy series packed as data on DVDs and even multiple ones on Blu-ray 50gig disks.

You mean gainax? Yeah alot if it was copyright shit but I think the biggest was using ELO's music. They originally only printed a handfull of tapes etc ala doujin.

First strike was the soundtrack. ELO could care less, but Columbia Records brought the lawyers

I just got the whole Irrosponsible captain Tylor on VHS for like $3. English subtitles original language.

All that shit can easily come under fair use or whatever Japan's less clear and obfuscated laws would be, it's probably more about the ELO song.

>tfw you'll always be a filthy newfag who barely even fucking remembers VHS, other than watching a few as a little kid

>Irresponsible captain Taylor

I have a VHS box set of that

You are too new to be here.

My parents probably haven't thrown out the eva and you're under arrest tapes I have.

Gotta copy of Zillion (Signed by Carl Macek), which essentially is an anime made to promote/sell Nintendo light zappers

Yeah, I've got a few boxes of my college era tapes from 2000 stashed away. I haven't touched them in about a decade. I'm not sure I even own a working VCR anymore. But I've still got the tapes, because I'm a pack rat that way.

I'm still mad my old man recorded his shitty ancient song on top of my Iria Zeiram, Magic Knight Rayearth VHS.

I wonder what series on LD/VHS nobody can find a copy for to sub.

>there was a second Golden Boy
Holy SHIT
Was it good?

I have recorded episodes of stuff that aired on Toonami on VHS from when I was a kid.

>some granddad hears SIEG ZEON and has WW2 flashbacks

That's just the 2nd episode user, remember with the mayor's daughter?

Maybe if you would move out of his basement, he wouldn't have been able to get your animu, baka frogposter-chan

Except it was 15 years ago, newfriendo.

Japanese LDs are cheap, but quite heavy (300g apiece) so expect to get totally devastated by shipping.

Anyone who would get triggered should be long dead by that point in time.
gundam is supposed to be set around 100 years in the future.

Also I recommend OVAs instead of series just because of weight. Though a lot of OVAs are single sided which also makes me feel ripped off for shipping.

Also I realized I only have pictures of my least favorite LDs.

the audio degradation due to rotational velocidensity bitrate loss must be horrible for those

for example, this disc. CLV one side, blank on the other. what a waste

Ok I'll bite. What's the cheapest way for me to order a bunch of laserdiscs from japan? I'm looking to track down around 10 OVAs.

>rotational velocidensity
Laser-rot, but yeah.

>Japanese LDs are cheap
I've been wondering for a while, why are Japanese versions of things always cheaper? Like N64 games for example, is it because there where so many made or because they just don't give a shit about collecting?

I got a box of ~30 from Yahoo Auctions. I spent $23 on the auction and $85 on the shipping (using the slowboat method, takes about 3 months to arrive and showed up SUPER damaged, worst I've ever seen, luckily no laserdiscs hurt but pay buyee for extra wrapping if you do this)

I would strongly consider multiple auctions and then combining them into a single shipment with buyee or other proxy, especially if you know exactly which discs you want.

I did get some cool stuff, like a foil Meltylancer sleeve, and Debut which let me take this meta image.

What's the best proxy? I've never done this before. Also holy fuck, 3 months? Nice PVM by the way.

Reading would be your friend.

mine end up in the landfill.

I don't know exactly why, but I can make some wild guesses. Collecting is definitely a thing, but the standards are quite high. Bare and worn cartridges have little collecting value. Also, at least in Tokyo much smaller housing and apartments - no Mom's attic to shove the stuff and forget about it.

They have smaller homes for the most part, maybe not enough room to collect things.

Playboy actually. They don't like people dressing up their characters in bunny costumes (I wish I was joking)

Buyee is probably the easiest for YAJ, but they are all pretty similar.

Looking at my emails it was only about two months total. Even lowly SAL is twice as expensive as surface for LDs.

Also, even better, it's a BVM.

Watched NGE on VHS after wondering what the poster on the back of The Electric Tale of Pikachu comic was about. After that I tried looking for the other stuff I saw on the ADV commercial on the tapes. I was pretty late to the game too, as it was around 05 when I really started getting into stuff that wasn't on Toonami or [as].

I don't buy that given that anime and manga routinely do it.

Why would they advertise Evangelion on a kodomo manga? The only kid-targeted manga I have (Zelda) has other kodomo stuff on it.

I accidentally bought a Tenchi Muyo LD once. I still have it and I don't know why.

I remember moot always bragging about some anime he got on laserdisc for dirt cheap, he always brought it up.

i remember him fucking up the board culture with naruto raids

Dry rot!

I used to buy vhs to record toonami back when it first rolled around. Have a few tapes from Suncoast though

Here it is, I found his stash. I knew I had it downloaded somewhere.

>Got dragged to the mall by mom
>Spent the entire time in Suncoast going through the anime bin
>Anime eventually gets its own section on the back wall complete with Pocky, Jrock CDs, and box sets
>Felt like the future was going to be amazing

I was so close to finishing the Gundam Wing VHS collection, I only needed two tapes or something like that. I had censored versions of the early episodes for a few tapes too.

Am I the only one who looked at the thumbnail and wondered how those videos were floating in the air?

I got some VHS of conan the future child and yatt poe.

The Daicon openings are prototype AMVs, which means that they were made with a complete disregard for copyright, although they were not made for profit.

Amusingly, only three tapes I've owned have ever had any degradation problems, and they were less than 10 years old when they became unplayable.
Those tapes were the 1999 release of the Indiana Jones movies where the films were numbered chronologically with the Young Indiana Jones series.

>Nintendo light zappers
Please be bait.

I think laserdiscs are cool, mainly for the cover art. As a format, I really don't have much need for it. Hard drives take up less space and I no longer have my nice Trinitron, sadly.

The only thing i would want is Daicon.

That's because you're a dirty pleb.

kk

Don't know what you mean user

I've got Voltes V

Imagine the videos are vertical on a shelf.

Agreed, honestly I buy the occasional record for the same reason, licensed posters are usually hard to find and expensive but records aren't and they make good wall decorations.

Just ordered this one for $13 including shipping.

>honestly I buy the occasional record for the same reason
But records are the best physical medium for music currently.

I like record jackets as well. There are a few albums that I'd love to own on vinyl, but I've already got lossless digital copies so it would just be decoration.

Here's a nice one in a similar style.

I hope we get the LD version of LOGH on some digital disc format, I need those trippy QUALITY frames.

Damn mootykins, I'm impressed.

I have some still. They're all shitty Chinatown fansub bootlegs though. I wanted to throw them out, but my older brother wouldn't allow it.

I actually still have two cubic meters of vhs tapes. Not sure if my trusty old vhs player works, it's been sitting in a bag under my bed for years.

Why would you want these, though.
They're bulking and annoying.

I do but they're all in storage boxes.

>tfw too young to have anything other than the first Pokemon and Digimon films on VHS.

They must have given up a long time ago. When you think about it, playboy did invent the sexy bunny costume. But now its a cultural/public domain sort of deal.

>laserdicks are double sided

How did you handle those things without having a heart attack?

I had all my anime on VHS up until 2005 when a flood wiped out my storage area while I was deployed. I lost a ton of classic fansubs that I've never recovered. It was a serious slap in the dick, since I'd spent almost 20 years building that library of works.

I live near a comic shop that has some LDs, the ones for Perfect Blue and EoE look really nice.

>He doesn't have a clean room with a robotic arm to handle physical media
What's it like being a poorfag?

That Mononokehime cover is really nice. I'd love to have this set...

The same way you handle an LP. Unless you're fucking hamhands mcgee it's not a problem

By holding them by the edges? Unless you're talking about having a heart attack from getting up and flipping them, but a lot of players just played the B side on their own.

My hand isn't that big