Fake Geniuses

ITT: Characters who the Author tries to pass off as intelligent, but who actually aren't

Season 2 when?

Never ever ever.

It's unavoidable when the author herself isn't that intelligent.

OP earns low income.

Yeah, which is why the author shouldn't try to bite off more than they can chew.

Gettin' paid.
Winnin' da Mcb Owl.
Y'all faggots be wishin you're waifu was half this smart.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I loved Gosick, but I think Sakuraba is a terrible mystery writer. Where she excels is in characterization, in subtle psychological portrayals and interplay between characters, and that goes as well for her other works besides Gosick.

She is cute, surely best girl in her series, but she has bullshit logic that somehow impresses other people.

"How did you find the culprit?"

"The gush from my fountain of wisdom told me" -Actual Quote from her.

Obviously, she tries to offer an actual explanation, but it almost always falls flat.

Gosick

Everyone in dungeon defense

I just want the RED/BLUE novels translated or licensed

Shiroe from Log Horizon was actually pretty smart in a real way, but some of his ideas were retarded or overly moralistic/idealistic, like refusing to join a guild in the begging, when he should have been working to centralize power like his neighbors.

There's also Pink and Green.

I don't think they're nearly as good as the main series or GosickS. They feel like a rehash.

How so? Is that the one where the guy uses Golems, or am I thinking of something else? Because that guy was actually smart, just lazy.

Everyone in LoGH. Still love it, though.

I never got the vibe that he was actually supposed to be considered intelligent as none of their "inventions" were really that good until the whole time travel bit, though he likes putting on the act that hes is as part of the mad scientist thing he has going. Kirisu clearly is smarter than him in terms of knowledge. He's just more explorative than most by virtue of going outside whats accepted as fact to try new ideas, which in a lot of cases is just stupid but every now and again you get a Copernicus. It's not a smart man who spends time microwaving bananas with his phone.

you made her mad user, look! she's pouting again!

VICK
TOR
EEE
CAR

That faggot from code geass.

He's not meant to be intelligent. Read the VN, faggot.

Rivals was legit though.

This, many times this.

Shikamaru. No, the entire Nara.

Leterally every single "smart" anime, leluoch included.

Because to write an intelligent character ou have to be intelligent yourself, and it's not like Anime is known for it's stellar writers.

Any character from legend of the gay lactating homos.

Fucking this

I know people will castrate me but I think jojo did it right. For example (spoliers) fooling a person saying that stand users bleed trough the nose and made the suspected person check its nose revealing himself, or in the space adventure cobra movie (the old one) where he used one of the body parts of the big baddy to defeat him because he was basically invincible against any other object.

DUDE, SEMI-CIRCLES

At least light did that thing where he put the piece of paper in the doorway. That was pretty smart.

Aizen and Lelouch.

Noo stop

Thread could've ended here.

With few exceptions, the "smart" characters in anime are only that way because the plot bends over backwards for them or everyone else acts like a fucking idiot.

I don't think the series every implied that he was a genius. Sure, later down the line he made some inventions that worked but it was really Kurisu who was said to be the genius.

Well, with this we can close the thread.

Let's get more legitimally examples.

This faggot.

>fake

Just because the authour says they're smart doesn't mean they are.

That's realistic. Intelligent people make dumb mistakes and hold irrational beliefs all the time, just like everyone else.

He's definitely a very smart and capable guy, just not on Kurisu's level.

Literally any "genius" character written by a fucking idiot, which seems to be the majority. Writing actual smart characters is too hard for the average nip so you end up with these super genius characters who always say gay shit like "Hahaha, I have predicted your every movement because I am so smart and you have fallen right into my hands. Now I will foolishly hesitate to kill you so that you may defeat me with a sudden asspull powerup I apparently didn't see coming despite being a super genius."
Well I typed up everything I wanted to say before scrolling down to see we said basically the same thing, but I already wrote it so I'm posting it anyways.
After reading No Country I've come to admire Chiguhr as a character even more than just from having watched the movie, the sheer attention to detail in every action he takes and how everything he does seems to have some purpose behind it shows how incredibly well written he is. Anime needs more antagonists like this.

>the author's only way at making him "intelligent" is to consistently say how many books he reads.

I think the more obnoxious version of that is when the "smart" character is jerking off over chess all the time.

>the piece of paper was actually bait
>the doorknob was the actual anti-trespassing measure
Now that was smart.

This guy forgot there are other methods of killing people. Could have just got some fanatical kiera worshiper to allahu ackbar on L instead of playing find waldo with him.

He could have never revealed his existence to the world killing people with natural looking causes and fucking ebola/plague

But he did multiple times.

Can't blame him for not adapting to the new world right away

>This guy forgot there are other methods of killing people.
It would've taken too long and he probably would've fallen into a pattern that L can deduce
>Could have just got some fanatical kiera worshiper to allahu ackbar on L instead of playing find waldo with him.
He can't get people to do/say things they have no knowledge of, like find L
fucking ebola/plague
Yeah and kill the subjects of his new world along with them right?

It's like you guys didn't even watch the thing

You are making me want to watch Sherlock, that sounds stupidly entertaining.

This fucking loafer wearing quote spilling edgelord with a twisted personality right here.

I meant he didn't have to use the deathnote at all. Just prove to some fanatical worshiper that he's Kira without revealing himself and tell em to go bomb L at his place.

hes good at pvp but just bullshits everything els. its great.

The correct answer is to avoid confronting L at all. Don't try to spy on the cops. Don't change what you're doing in response to the cops. L can't do shit. He had fucking supernatural powers. There is no universe where Light gets caught if his dad isn't the police chief.

Agreed. While interesting compared to the others he's just a mere tool to move the plot with his Philip K Dick quotes.

This is probably the best example of a stupid genius character.

Ainz is great because his actions are believable and he is never stated to be a genius. He is just a salaryman using what he learned, and tries to think his hardest to take care of his subordinates. Things do go his way, but it was never because he planned it, its just because everyone thinks he is smart so his credibility screws with their decision making.

That's what it is for.
Sherlock is bit dumb if you think about it, so don't.
It has high production values and is entertaining.
Bendydick Cucumberbatch might be a meme actor and the fanbase is horrid but it is perfectly fine to watch.
You won't expect the next Marvel film to be high-brow cinema either but it might be a fun time anyway.

every annoying cunt in anime

Rule of thumb is that if the audience needs to be told that the character is smart, chances are that they're not.

So then what are some characters that are genuinely smart, Sup Forums?

>Is supposed to be smart
>Turns out everyone else is just retarded

Kurisu, shown to know her science but isn't a stupid tactical genius like Lelouch or something.

Also she speaks more like a normal person than most "genius" characters, people generally don't use long words for the hell of it.

>and the fanbase is horrid
So why do you perpetuate their retarded jokes.

>Characters who the Author tries to pass off as intelligent, but who actually aren't
It's more the fact that the author isn't intelligent enough to write a smart character.

Kira yamato?
Inaho?
Oreki?
There's plenty but not worth remembering so who cares

>people generally don't use long words for the hell of it.
Not maybe "long words", but people relatively deep into their field of study speak jargon without even thinking about it, and often forget that people outside the field might not know all the words they use.
This is why a scholar might sound hard to understand, because you don't know the lingo that is everyday language for them.

The effect is the same though

In reality, a truly genius person looks and sounds dumb to other people.
they barely speak but when they do they use alien language, they're also doesn't really care about other's business.
Where in anime the geniuses are always portrayed as talkative detective/strategist.
one have to wonder

That's the great thing about her. She uses jargon when it's relevant but she doesn't spam obscure words at all times to try and convince you that she's smart. Her intelligence is self-evident.

>People say I'm a genius at Math
>Always do everything super fast in my head
>In my answers all I put is the answer
>Teacher decided to ask me for my worksheet one day where It shows how I get the answer cuz he thinks I'm cheating somehow
>Show him

It looks like one of those Dead Space Crazy people writting on the walls ancient Eldritch Egyptian style of writting and in various angles while not being easy to understand

He never bothered to doubt me again after that

he's supposed to be just smart

He was supposed to be a genius, right?

This image is funny because the reader expects the white part in the first panel to be a speech bubble, but confusion gets created when this speech bubble has no text in it, leading to tension.
The tension is then released in the second panel when the character whispering to the other character reveals that this what would usually be a speech bubble actually was not a speech bubble, but rather an object actually existing in that space: a white egg without shading, which looks like a speech bubble. The clearing up of this confusion reliefs us, which feels good in contrast to the state of tension before.

Furthermore, the brain likes making new connections between concepts that were previously unconnected. The more revolutionary the idea is, the more the brain is excited to learn about it. The idea that a speech bubble can visually also be interpreted as an egg is something that one usually is unaware of, which is why it's exciting to learn about it.

Lastly, the text itself is a source of funniness: The whispering character suggests the other not to be "afraid of that egg". Kierkegaard locates the essence of humour in the incongruity between expectation and reality. Of normal human beings, it is not expected to be afraid of a mere egg, something that itself is non-threatening and even rather vulnerable, since it breaks easily, but the nervous expression of the character being whispered to and the suggestion of the whisperer that the other should not be afraid of the egg, which implies that the one whispered to is, in fact, afraid of the egg, shows that the reality is that someone is afraid of an egg, which is incongruous and thereby funny.

t. moefag

Have you ever read the VN

Your autistic and I found your insight both educational and entertaining, thank you

Have you?

nice pasta.

Erika you fucking lovely shit

Explain.

Not really. When they speak about that subject, then yeah, but they generally use it in normal conversations.

Sounds like my literature essays.

Came here because I expected this. I'll fucking gut you.

Johnny checkmating Valentine by throwing a gun at him was fucking genius.

Johnny isn't exactly written as a brilliant tactician or anything, but I was struck by how genuinely clever that one move was.

funny

>Become famous
>Get kidnapped
>Hope you are saved by the people who possibly saved the last few victims

Works 1000% of the time, find a flaw, protip you can't

The pizza is still not ready

A character can only be as smart as the writer.

A character's IQ is based on genetic mutation accelerated or decelerated by a God, in layman's terms, they are intelligent only when the plot needs them to be intelligent

The yawns didn't match the rest of the voice acting. Same happened in Sasami-san. Why can't they nail the yawning?

It's a shame because reverse trap characters are hot.

And here I thought it was just a callback to the mayonegg one. Thank you for explaining that, user.