Do Japs genuinely think this looks better

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FDMvaEpuDcc
youtube.com/watch?v=qeO3wfsxab8
wikihow.com/Tie-a-Noose
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

than this

I prefer the first one.

Yes. Both in terms of design and assumed animation. I literally cannot hate Studio Orange CG

They think it's cheaper and that's what matters.

first one is more realistic and genuinely looks like a robot for war
second one is a fantasy made for babies

The problem with 3DCG usually isn't that it's 3D, but that the modelers and/or animators are shit.

Robots look better in cg.

They're not wrong. At all.

what a shit screenshot for comparison, are you even trying?

The entirety of R3's mechs will be 3DCG, keep crying

cgi on it's own is cool but the animation always end up looking stiff as shit, when you cut corners with cgi it's way more apparent and janky as opposed to all the short cuts you can do with drawn animation

Mechas tend to look better when their slow. Fast moving mecha like the small Macross looks like shit, while big ones like the Frontier looks better.

Looks better in motion.

I do, CG needs to be promoted more anyway

Yes.

Nah. youtube.com/watch?v=FDMvaEpuDcc

I don't fucking know what's worse. Stiff looking CG or scenes drawn by a poor philipino animation studio
Japan needs to train more hand drawn animators god damn it or is it too much to ask for

Is this the Orange thread?

Is that wing zero?

To think MJP was essentially a 24 episode tech demo for the company

Looks like shit to me, 3D models don't fit in 2D backgrounds, also the framerate is sub 20's.

It could just be your shit taste

What is movie is this? or when it come out?. I know is MJP. But i dont remember nothing of this in the serie or the ova of the second team.

It's the movie. Subs are on nyaa

>implying any of those backgrounds were 2D

You need to get your eyes checked.

The thing I don't like about CG mechs is they tend to be overdesigned or overdetailed

It's as if being streamlined is a bad thing

It's because you can do more without suffering from QUALITY or stressing the animators. Just look at IBO's designs. They can only stay on model for 5 seconds at a time and 2 of those will be a still shot

speaking of overdesigned CG mechs

I unironically like the base Valvrave design desu.

2D will always be superior and more original, your CG is a cheap gimmick to save budget

true CG animation means, it can retain more detail

but it also seems designers to go overboard

look at this busy design

Red and that blue was nice.

Green and Yellow needed to be streamlined a bit more

Neet Girl's was an effin Christmas Tree

>Code Geass get's the 10/10 cgi team
>Gundam gets this

At least there's Thunderbolt.

and this looks much better and less like 90's vidya cutscene

>more original

that literally doesn't mean anything. the fuck are you daying

>this looks much better

Get a load of this then.

I do like it for its ridiculousness.

Stfu the second one is not for babies wings are cool

you have to be a 31 year old virgin who collects toy figures to actually think this looks cool, mecha in general is really boring genre, Code Geass is only good because of Lelouch, everything else sucks

It's easier to animate.

>using virgin as an insult on Sup Forums
Stopped reading there.

Fuck Fafner.

Exactly some mechas are the exception ofc like Zeta but overall i too think mecha is boring

>Underage ESL

>Normalfag Redditor.

2017 Sup Forums, everyone.

see if you want some quality 2d animated mechs you need to throw A LOT of money to the 2d animators.

or throw a lot of money to 3d animators who can render and animate gud

meant

Why not both? youtube.com/watch?v=qeO3wfsxab8

I think being in mostly one tone/color helps
less visual chaos
I suspect it's the reason why Fafner Exodus mechs look better

>>you have to be a 31 year old virgin who collects toy figures to actually think this looks cool, mecha in general is really boring genre, Code Geass is only good because of Lelouch, everything else sucks

so this is the power of neo-Sup Forums huh

I do like how different they look from most designs.

Is Studio Orange working on anything this season?

Those physics are worse than in fucking Marvel movies.

No, that looks like complete ass. I can't even tell what's going on. I wish I had select gifs on hand to explain it to you, but because it looks like complete and utter ass cause those blobs aren't affecting anything around them. For 10 ton mechs, all they're doing is splashing water around them a little. My car displaces more water at 4tons. Where's the terrain prints, the weight momentum, why do they flip around so much like they're being held up by strings?

Maybe if the CGI was at 60 or even 30 fps it would look good.

But at 12, it looks like claymation.

They're both pretty

Test

Stop trying to apply real world physics in a show where rollerskates are powerful enough to propel mechs vertically up between 2 walls.

CG is cancer

Japanese CG artists cant do a few things right:
>weight, they never animate this principle and get floating (animators fault)
>deformations on the rig usually create weird joints and odder movement (righer or modelers fault, not animator)
>mismatched frame rates to cut corners that end up looking shitty (studio not having time money or proper farms)
>shading/compositing on 2D backdrops or with 2D characters (either the actual conpositing, lighting, or the render, or the shader, whole lot of places to fuck up)

But as we saw from meme friends no ome gives a shit if animation sucks. GJ everyone.

I think the base VVVs were neat.

The show stealer robot wise was totally the Waffles though.

It looked good until the second half when they stopped animating.

Are they getting rid of jetpacks?

This is a good move

The problem with Akito wasn't the 3D machines but the piss poor spastic choreography and camera work. If they made the KFs behave more like they were supposed to and used less panning and spinning shots, it would have looked a lot better. Plus maybe a bit more frames per second for some of the filler scenes where the KFs can look absolutely horrible moving at ~6 FPS.

whose this cutey

Aida from Gundam G no Reconguista.

It's CG, there is nothing preventing them from rendering it in 30, 60 or even 1000 fps. But they explicitly set lower framerate because 60 fps mecha animation actually looks extremely unnatural.

They set it lower because having render farms render it more costs money.
Thats why the FPS on cgi anime tends to be terrible

>5
Also because 60fps in shows looks really off.
Industry standard is 24fps for a reason

Because that was the best cameras could do back when hollywood was new.

It just became the standard because it was what everybody was used to.

>having render farms render it more costs money
Only if you're making full CGI movie like for example GANTZ:O with tons of polygons and light sources trying to look realistic.
Rendering those short mecha fights is relatively cheap. Doubling fps from 10 to 20 should not have any noticeable impact on budget.

Engravings give you no tactical advantage whatsoever

There is a lot of weightlessness going on here. Come to think, the last CG anime I can remember where the mech actually looked somewhat heavy sometimes was Kuromukuro, and that one got to cheat on ground effects with anti-gravity hax.

Why would a robot need a cape?

It is not a matter of taste, but available talent. The mecha genre was originally a genre that boomed in the 70s and 80s, meaning many animators had to learn the basics of animating giant robots and making the designs workable. As the decline in desire for mecha occurred, younger animators began to focus on drawing other things. You want to know why Digimon always tended to end up as bipedal humanlike warriors in their final forms? Because that's what animators knew how to draw well. That's a side note. As we transferred into the 00s the animators who needed to be able to draw and understand mecha in motion dwindled as the old generation faded out and a never ending stream of toy commercials was no longer pushed out. With the veteran artists all flocking to either Sunrise or Bones, leaving most other studios having to fall back to CGI and despite the fact that Sunrise DOES have a majority of the remaining competent mecha animators, they STILL don't have enough they can throw around and make mecha however they want without ending up needing CGI.

Now why does CGI work for mecha? Because mecha tend to be complex in design with a lot of working parts that need to be remembered. So with CGI you can have a model and you're set.

>cheap
Yes. CG is helping to make anime cheaper because the industry is not making as much money. It's the cheaper and faster option. I'd rather watch CG than see the studios shut down.
>More original
Are you actually retarded? Style of animation has literally nothing to do with originality.

this

Yes. Definitely

You're in denial if you don't think it's not better, even in stills, and especially once animated.
R3 should have been CG too, especially when it's a TV series.

Kuromukuro, Fafner, MJP and Bubuki are proof that CGI mecha can work well but people have such a kneejerk reaction to CGI it's sad.

I assume it's because I was in the generation that watched ZOIDs and Beast Wars when it aired on TV that I actually don't hate CGI mecha stuff.

I think Geass Akito was better than MJP. MJP was a little too fast and the action suffered for that, the action was too fast for the framerate they choose

>LOOK I'M ANIMATING

Wait, where the fuck is that from? I don't fucking remember this.

>durr durr virgin
this completely invalidated whatever argument you were trying to make

Most CG mecha feel like they don't really have any significant mass. There are exceptions, but many studios seem to think that CG is an excuse to have mechs dancing around the place like ninjas and landing hits that don't feel impactful enough.

Two frogs caught in mating ritual?

At some point you almost forget that there are actual people inside them, right?

Sometimes, yeah.

That's the majority of fucking mecha though, not a unique CGI complaint. You fucks always whine about this and then point to that one EoE fight

I'll kill myself if R3 has CG mechas

Has the new pv been released yet?

wikihow.com/Tie-a-Noose
Get practicing.

This series was great, best use of CG in anime that I've ever seen.

>that second of trying to shoot
>are you trying shoot me?
>get that shit out of my face.
I was so happy. usually its deer in the headlights instead of actually reacting before the MC shoots.

>Fafner
is that good to watch?

The framerate is a side effect of the .webm conversion. You'll need to see the original 1080p stream to get the full effect.

Given the same funding, the CGI team is going to get a better looking product in less time. People see hand drawn through nostalgia goggles and forget all the shitty animation throught the 80s and 90s.

So...you don't like /m/echa in general.

That's fine but why are you on this thread?

the sad part is that you can tell a lot of effort was put into this

The problem is that this stuff doesn't look like anime, it just looks like a video game at a shitty framerate. It's far to unnaturally smooth when coupled with actual animated scenes of people. I hoenstly prefer this