Sup Forums language thread:

What languages do you speak? Why did you learn them? Are you planning to learn any other? If so, why?

Disclaimer: This thread is related to politics because language is an indispensable tool for civilization and thus politics OBV! This is also very enriching considering how diverse Sup Forums is.

Spanish is a subhuman language.

Not Spanish, just the “weon” subdivision. Sub human rumblings.

i speak german and english, planning to learn dutch, danish, swedish and norwegian in the future

German

Know English because America and all. Know Latin because of Catholicism.

Plan to learn German, French, Danish, and Korean

I suppose you won't have a hard time learning those, they are similar to German no? In the same vein that Spanish/Portuguese/Italian are very similar as well
Why did you learn it user?
Why do you plan to learn them?

I grew up in Germany, so I learned it from family and school. I didn't go out looking for a reason.

I'd like to learn Italian, if I can get/keep my Italian gf.

yes

I plan to have a semester abroad in a couple years, don’t know where but most likely in Europe. Sort of learning Korean rn. University has plenty of language opportunities.

I actually found it really great that all sudamericans country have a traditional dialect, and you can tell where are people from just be hearing them talk.
Also spanish is cancer.

desu I was in Amsterdam over Christmas and I could hardly understand them talk desu. Reading it wasn't too difficult to decipher, but their garggle sounds annoying.

I would like to learn another European language, so I will!

First non-Anglo, European flag below me is the one I learn.

do you hate Spanish people or just the language?

Finnish and english. I know little swedish and russian butt I really cant make any real conversation with those two.

i dont think Spanish is a bad language, i like how Spanish (from Spain) sounds, and even argentine porteño Spanish, but the lesser races have degenerated it and since they are the majority everyone is inclined to think it sounds like shit, theres no comparison in Spanish a peruvian speaks than that of a Spaniard..... completely different langauges & conception of the world imho

I speak English because we didn't have the Empire so that I'd have to learn foreign.

Well, how do you do, fellow Germanic.

Greek (mother tongue)
English (official international language and shit)
German (optional in high school, fuck French)
Finnish (self-explanatory, check flag)

English
Russian
German
I can follow assume any political perspective except for the Chinese one( and the ones that don’t matter)

>SWEDISH
>OFFICIAL 2ND LANGUAGE OF FINLAND
>LITTLE
''Finnish education'' :DDDD

I'm fluent in Finnish, Swedish and English. I understand written Norwegian. I recognize some words of Danish, Estonian and German.

Learning language is pretty fucking overrated desu. It takes like 10000 hours to get fluent, what you need to become if you want to really use it. Time is not free, and you could have used that 10000 hours to gain an epic skill that's actually worth something.

english obviously
i want to learn finnish

he has to learn the dansk now
point and laugh guys

English, English - Landan, English - Sheff, English - Estuary, English - Manc, English - Geordie, enough French to leave France in the event I am drugged and left there for a prank

French because I grew up speaking it, Russian to read Russian books. I keep trying to learn Greek and Latin but I only ever get like 5 chapters into my grammar books. I wish I had learnt Greek instead of Russian.

Polish, English, a bit of German

Portuguese (native), English, Spanish, Japanese and now learning Russian.

English and Spanish I just sort of picked up, Japanese because I lived there for a while with some family and Russian because it sounds nice. I plan on doing German too after a while, a lot of people in my city speak German so I feel left out.

I think that if you are interested in the culture of the country then you can do it as a hobby, obviously like any other hobby it requires substantial amounts of dedication, I'd do it like this:
learn a language you'll have some use for in the future (or think you will) and after that learn a language for sheer pleasure.
Its true it takes a lot to become fluent, but its not a drag if you actually enjoy it, this in turn depends on the classes you take (or if you learn by yourself) and your classmates etc. Having a shit teacher will make everything seem uninteresting and frustrating.

>50% Spanish here

held og lykke med at lære dansk

Swedish, English, Decent Norwegian (can have full conversations mixing Swedish and Norwegian)

Can read Danish

Limited understanding of German spoken and written
Limited Spanish vocabulary

>tfw trying to learn中國
>learn a lot of stuff one day, forget everything the next one because its so remote from any lingo i know and you must learn 4 things about every single character in order to be able use it (how to write it, whats the stroke order, whats its pinyin and whats the meaning)

为什么生活?

Why learn shit Asian langauge and not something normal?

Speaking of languages it would be nice to have more french and german speakers in here to translate >

>

I've been learning german, but I've never gotten to use it enough to really develop it. I can understand it better than I speak it, but there are little grammatical things in german that trip me up when I cant find a verb. I thought it would've been a good idea back in 2009 when I started, and I suppose I'll get to use it a bit in Berlin next month, but I dont have high hopes, nor can I find practicality in it anymore. Also why tf doesn't german have "those"?

>enough French to leave France in the event I am drugged and left there for a prank
lmao
are you of Japanese descent? i didnt know language was such a thing in there, in here everyone speaks (besides Spanish) some shitty quality English (most of the time at least) and some people even Italian (rare).
Its funny but I think ppl are starting to get more into English because of videogames -____-
I heard a lot of retirees from Scandinavia like to spend their last days on the Mediterranean, due to hot weather and whatnot, is this your case?
this tbqh lol why not Japanese instead? at least you'd be able to understand animu
Why did you start? Id like to learn it but I reckon it'd be harder than usual for a native Spanish speaker, it ssomething to do when i have relieved pressure from other things in my life lol (i.e in a million years)
I suppose you can give an use to it, im sure there are jobs who require you speak German or get in touch with Germans, if not then you can go there and talk to the natives, that is always very nice imho, opens up your mind

I speak Swedish (pretty much know Norwegian and Danish because they're s similar) English and a little bit of German and Spanish
Learned Swedish because I was born in Sweden, English and Spanish and German through school

>epic skill that's actually worth something
Language teachers, translators, tourist guides etc are quite invaluable though. For instance there was a hotel job opening in Ylläs with only prerequisite to speak japanese so you can manhandle the endless amount of visitors, about 2500e pay with home and car provided. Not bad desu.

>inb4 yes but other skills like doctor are worth more
takes way more time to speak fluent 'doctor' though

German, Bavarian, English, some Russian, very little Czech, Latin

Plan to better my Russian, Latin and Czech and to learn Italian, maybe even French some day

I got long before my last days but i know that it's popular to do so. However i want to end my days in a Germanic country and stay in Sweden and do my part for most of my life

A word for those? It's jene for plural and diese for singular.

Chilean isn't even spanish
Anyways, i speak spanish, english and also i'm learning italian, speaking of which, can any italian give me some advice or tips on prepositions? A vs In and A vs Da vs Di are a nightmare

Also, is passato remoto even relevant?

Portuguese (duh)
English and Russian. (I just learned the Cyrilic alphabet.)

I speak English, and broken German. I've been learning German for a year. My issues are mostly case, word endings and getting verb order right while speaking.
I decided to learn German because I've always like the country, its history, and the people. Maybe one day I'll be able to spend an extended amount of time in Germany to practice. I'd like to learn Norwegian next, and if possible a Slavic language.

user, always READ that's the best way to stay in practice, there is a glory of German literature, of philosophical, fictional and scientific nature.

They all sound like they have a fucking lisp in Spain. The only reason Spanish is still around is because of the raping of South America, and some dog shit war that guaranteed the Spanish empire long enough to still be relavent. Even actual Spanish people hate how beaners, spics, and wetbacks speak Spanish because they “don’t speak it right” (even talked to an exchange student who couldn’t stand the burrito munchers). Also, Spanish culture is fucking garbage, and SA is a shithole in its entirety. Even you Argie fuckers think you’re white when clearly you’re not.

t. Angry American who unfortunately grew up around disgusting, shit skinned, criminal scum in commiefornia

I've been studying German for 8 years now and not once have I ever been taught about jene. American education, woop

I started learning German in highschool because the only other option was spanish, and I'll be damned if I learn to speak spic for the aliens here. Plus my family is mostly german and polish, but i have no connection with the polacks. But german isn't that bad if you know english, like you start to see a lot of similarities between the two, but I've found that it's easiest if you can shut your brain off and not question why the grammar works like it does

>thinks he is gonna need german when going to berlin
you better sign up for a crashcourse in turkish, burgerbro

Oh I already know I wont need German in Berlin, but I'd rather go there than Bamberg. I'm sick of small towns

I speak Hiligaynon (our local dialect), Tagalog, English and a little bit of Nihonggo.

>rather go to Berlin than Bamberg

absolutely kill yourself you fucking faggot. Bamberg is GOAT and you don't deserve to step foot there. Also it is not small you fuck, but it just isn't oversized like that fat burger Berlin. There is a lot to do in Bavaria, and I'd highly recommend going there instead of the European Faggot capital.

dict.cc if you haven't heard of it is a good online dictionary. duden.de (German dictionary) also just added a tool where you can type an English word and it finds equivalents, it's a bit limited right now.

Very good German, very good English.

Learned them as a kid, and later improved naturally. Learning languages now is a pain in the ass, I know some broken spanish, and my dream is to learn Japanese but, my brain became retarded for languages. Even with Spanish which is fairly easy I have some troubles remembering the proper verbs.

isn't spanish your official language

Ye, i'm studying languages because i'd love to migrate from this shithole to Europe
Right now i'm studying Laws, and i just love the International Law subjects, so I really think i found out what my vocation and dream are

>faggot capital
Well it looks like I made the right choice

And of course I know every serbo-croatian derivative (serbian, croatian, bosnian, macedonian, slovene)

English
Trying to reach fluency in Welsh

I thought Argentina was one of the better SA countries, is it really that bad? Shouldn't you try to make it better, its just going to get worse without good people. user, its really not good to abandon your country. Eventually there won't be any places to run from the shitholes.

Ayyee faggg

ye im tired of this country as well

I feel your pain.
我是美一个国人。

ooga booga me want banana

There's two of you faggots then, start your own organization to make Argentina great again. Quit coming to countries that work. You are just making it worse.

Filipino (for you foreigners) is our current national language, it was way back then when Spanish was our national language, but there are some dialects here that still have a bit of Spanish on them.

I gots a D's in the's Ebonics.
Words to your mothers yo.

I wouldn't want to speak proper English because of the slavery thang.

I'm fluent in English and have a high understanding of Spanish (I'm trying to perfect that)
And I know a bit of German and French so learning those after would be great.

This country being a shithole is just another reason why i want to leave
My (future) degree, my interest on International law and my knowledge of languages (my interest on learning languages), if i put together these reasons, what i want is clear

Бългapcки
Espanol (badly
Francais (badly)
Not enough german
Some slovenski
Some thai

Learnt languages from living abroad, trying to stay away from uk most of my life because its full of nogs.

Would have learnt languages at school if they explained that.

Native britbong

Norwegian, German and English are the languages I speak fluently (parents moved from Germany to Norway when I was ~4 years old). I'm somewhere between N3 and N2 in Japanese, but I don't study actively beyond maintaining what I already know (basically reading every now and then).

I want to learn Spanish but I'm a lazy fuck with other priorities.

don't you have family? don't you care at all about your nation?

English and Spanish. I started learning Spanish in High School and it was the only class I enjoyed so I'm majoring in Spanish Education. Gonna try to slip in redpills about Franco when I teach.

Dutch, English and mediocre Polish

i know basque
tho the most who speak it are little commies and feminists

currently know Dutch, English and a good amount of German. Want to learn German better, learn Russian and one of the Scandinavian languages

Ofc I have a family, but I have no relationship with my only brother and my parents are going to live on a beach town in Brazil as soon as my dad retires, so that's irrelevant

Also, , argentina was never great, it's doomed from the very beginning

Australian
The chad amongst englishes

hmm why Russian?

Gay ass nigga faggot, worhtless cosmopolitan NIGGER, you will be a wandering Jew Gypsy

croatian, serbian, serbo-croatian, bosnian, montenegrian and english fluently. I know some bulgarian, slovenian, macedonian and italian. I can understand any slavic language(besides polish)

Turn back now lads, you've been warned.

English is my mother tongue, also pretty decent Arabic (pre-civil war Lebanese dialect), and enough chink to understand and endear the locals.

are you doing the sex tour? or was that thailand?

Dutch, English, French and German. I can also read Latin. I was forced into learning them at school but I enjoy maintaining and improving my skills in all of these.

I'm American, English is my first language. I learned german on my own starting when I was 19, became fluent in about a year, then did a year abroad at a german university. I very much admire the history of the german people and am so glad I put in the work to learn it. I remember being so lost at first and having that feeling of being at an impossible task. But every day I just put a few hours in, and before I knew it I started getting accelerated returns and the resulting positive feedback loop just took on a life of its own.

Also viele Grüße aus Amerika. Ich hätte gerne Vorschläge für blogs oder Webseiten die deutschsprachliche Inhalte haben. Leider spreche ich deutsch nur selten heutzutage und übe gerne. Danke im voraus...

Español (native)
English (because is a must and also, compared to the other languages I've had contacted with, very easy)
中文 (Traditional Chinese because I'm in Taiwan)
Also a little French and German.

Native: Corsican, Italian
Fluent: English
Learning: German

want to learn Latin next thuogh

I haven't "caught yellow fever" and have no desire to "try the local flavor," as one Israeli put it that I met here in real China.

Que onda guey?

fuck animu. i, for one, welcome chinese overlords.

languages are literally only thing that I was ever decent at. If im gonna learn irrelevant shit, Im gonna spend my life in McDonalds or Amazon

2 reasons.
Firstly for some reason I'm interested in their culture (both the medieval/renaissance period aswell as the almost hidden commie period) and language is a very big part of the culture and the understanding of it.
secondly it is because russia will play a big part for europe in the future, either positively or negatively, idk which one, but it might be useful to be able to communicate with them.
for example: if/when we try to get rid of the US we'll get closer to russia and trade relations would need people who know the language

also also: I like the way it sounds, has some dutch influences and St Petersburg has huge Dutch influences

why Latin?
riveting,never though of it but yeah, knowing a language can be extremely useful in a war scenario

English, Italian and Romanian.
I'm planning to learn German,either Russian or Serbian and if possible Japanese.

German obviously, english, spanish even though
I'm trying my hardest to erase it from my memory and nihongo.

Kek! Not Mexican! But, ¡todo bien!
Well mi hermano... Thank God you weren't born in Dominican Republic.
Funny... I thought Macri was doing ok compared to Cristina.

aside from it's importance for us Italics, it was the lingua franca of the west since its inception and obviously the language of Rome, knowing it I think is fundamental to really get the essence of the western canon, be in literature or religion or philosophy
translations always leave something behind

also it sounds better than any romance language in my humble opinion

I speak Portuguese, English and some German (studied in a German school). I started learning Norwegian last month and so far it has been easy, it's like a mixture of German and English. Written Danish is very similar to bokmål. I plan on learning Korean after my Norwegian is in a good level. After that I want to learn another but don't know which one.

>Serbian
for a italian it would be more logical to learn croatian, even though it's almost the same, many croats know italian, it's second foreign language learned here

also in peacetime.
it just gives so much insight in how a people function. there is evidence that when you think in a different language, you think with a different personality. e.g. when you think in german you are more to the point, more straightforward and more logical whilst in french way more emotional. (not by too much) but still measurable

Es la misma mierda con diferente olor, this country is doomed

>Say hello in latin
>Accidentally summon a demon

Romania has only two good neighbours:the Black sea and Serbia.

>translations always leave something behind.

True, that's something I realized as I learned new languages and read native editions of a books and articles.

Mostly the language.
Is really boring on phonetic level, and the grammar is all messed up. Also the RAE is cucking and degenerating the language even further when they accept wrong words as correct words ( the inclusion of "weon" on the dictionary, for example).