General Motors - NO STEERING WHEELS by 2019

General Motors, a large USA automaker, is dropping the steering wheel starting in 2019. This will allow AI to control the car with no human input possible.

GM Engineer "We are confident in reaching full autonomous driving by 2019"

bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-12/gm-drops-the-steering-wheel-and-gives-the-robot-driver-control

Next year, General Motors Co. will no longer need an engineer in the front seat babysitting the robot brain that controls its self-driving Chevrolet Bolt. The steering wheel and pedals will be gone, giving total control to the machine.

lawers everywhere cant wait for this shit im sure

buckle up meatbags, you are useless and obsolete biotrash

You work for me, tin can.

Do you feel in control meatbag? 90% of humanity will be completely useless in just the next 5 years. Waste of biotrash.

But who will think of the lost DUI revenue?

I presume a great deal of effort is going to be put into remotely controlling the vehicle for fun and pranks.

You can get a dui for sleeping in the back seat of a vehicle that isn't running.

DUI
Traffic tickets
EMT
Police response
Emergency Medical care
long-term medical care for injuries
insurance payouts
car and body repairs
car purchases
cab drivers
delivery drivers
truck drivers
parking space
parking lots
driveways
garages

Rest in pieces stupid biotrash support and sustenance ecosystem.

Implying long haul truckers won't be running these fag mobiles off the road.

>Let's make cars that people can't drive

Let me know how that works out.

In my state having access to keys and ready access to said vehicle and being "impaired" by any means counts as a dui so don't worry, the state will still get dui shekels, hell if I was a traffic cop I'd pull over every bolt I saw late at night to ticket pad.

This will only make things awkward. I love driving, it's an excuse to not have to constantly interact with the passenger.

>still drive wheel mobile
>shitposting on Sup Forums while driving
>swerve into other lane colliding with memecar
>passenger of memecar gets almost died
>memecar inc. gets sued to bankrupcy by owner for failing to provide him with control of vehicle in the event that his reaction and relexes could have prevented life threatening injury.

Long Haul Truckers are going to go the way of the dodo too dude.

>not saving tons of money by automating trucking
We are all going to save money at walmart and the stock is going to go up 25% once they are all unemployed.

they will still have a wheel then, nigger

also, only nigger faggots want a machine to drive for them. what a fucking nightmare.

But the (((logic))) there is the impaired COULD operate the car. This is like ordering around a robo chauffeur. You don't get DUIs riding home in an Uber.

All the soyboys with vasectomies that have pet dogs to replace kids will be lining up to only ride autonomous taxis.

You can't fight it. Every single day the control mechanisms, automation, and digital-higher-level control increases.

Every single day googles algorithms get a little better. Facebook gets a little better. Facial recognition gets a little better. AI gets better.

Every single day, the neverending stampede of advancement continues.

Haha try to give me s DUI now pigs. Given how much I have to fight auto correct on my tablet, this won't end well.

Vehicles where people can control will always be around because that is what people want. Sure there might be a auto mode as a option if the driver doesn't feel like driving but vehicles will always be driven by humans.

Until they can get a Roomba to properly navigate my living room, I won’t trust this shit.

>nightmare

The thing is it's not a nightmare. Replacing human brains and autonomy with artificial intelligence is amazing.

The problem isn't this will be a nightmare of hell. It will be the comfort of automation. It will run smoother. All the dumb shit drivers that cause accidents will be off the road. There will be 40,000 less deaths and tons more less injuries.

Society is improved.
Meatbags are replaced.

>But the (((logic))) there is the impaired COULD operate the car.
They can easily argue that you can instruct the car to go somewhere unsafe and that's exactly what they would do. Most laws now days exist solely to make money, I hate to say it but if you've ever been to jail you'll notice 80% of the people in booking are in for a domestic where they did nothing or a dui where they were either stone cold sober or the cop just wanted to make an arrest and the person was drunk. That's why a lot of counties have traffic and domestic judges as the same person.

Majority will overwhelm people who like driving.

50% of population is women
then just cut down to how many men don't like driving
how many people will save money with this

It will be a matter of time before the 10% of population that like driving are outnumbered and democracy will work.

Our plan to phase out humans is almost complete.

Reminder every day this is happening.

A new layer of control above human autonomy is growing. Automated driving is just one aspect of it. Smart phones, voice controls, search results, etc.

Every single day it grows. Every single day human autonomy decreases.

It will be a matter of time before surveillance and automation completely control humanity. For the better we are evolving past the flesh, past the human.

We are closer than ever to the ManCar(tm).
ZUCC2020

These self driving cars WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

Cant wait for autists on Sup Forums to hack the cars of their enemies.

Hopefully.

I call bullshit on this, especially claiming that no steering wheel will be standard on ANY model in the next year. FFS autonomous cars aren't even present on interstates yet and probably won't be for years still.

That said for long trips having an autonomous car would be great. Those 10-15 hour drives that are too short to stop for a night but so long you are an exhausted wreck at the end will finally not suck

waymo is already operating in chandler arizona

The hybrid model of human error handling with majority AI time is going to be first to market though

>The thing is it's not a nightmare. Replacing human brains and autonomy with artificial intelligence is amazing.
The problem with automation is that shit fails and results in serious problems. In HVAC we relatively recently got inverter compressors with true variable speed motors controlled by a controller that regulates speeds and outputs based on the readings it gets. I had a call recently where a thermistor that is used to determine SH had an invisibly small slight break in the wire that caused the SH reading to be way too low causing the EEV to shut down which was just murdering the compressor. Zone control systems are another very easy example of how increasing the amount of tech in a machine can actually go catastrophically wrong.

To address something on the original point though I can't believe they wouldn't at least allow for a manual override, that doesn't make any sense.

No hopefully. It's not gonna happen.
Tech companies push shit like VR and no one buys it. And that's something that has zero regulations and safety issues.

Will never happen. As soon as the car makes a single mistake, it will make every news channel and freak people out. Chipotle's are closing because of a small ecoli breakout from 5 years ago.

>
Eventually it will become ILLEGAL to drive your own car, if the current path continues.
Old cars will need to be junked or retrofitted.
You'll need to pay thousands to have the privilege of driving a car and only in a highly controlled environment.

Basically what happened to guns.

VR has shipped millions of units now.

when these cars become widespread I'm riding a bike everywhere

>unironically believing this shit
Fucking airlines still put expert pilots in their planes even though fly-by-wire tech has been around for decades.

>VR has shipped millions of units now.
Sure Sup Forums fag, no one cares. It's already dead tech.

they will do it because they will make all these autonomous cars environmentally friendly, then outlaw environmentally polluting cars. heck, they are already banning cars of before a certain year from cities.

now I can shitpost on Sup Forums and play my Nintendo Switch while commuting 1 hour to and from work. Sounds great! Can't wait!

airplanes are not cars, same can be done with trains but still have human operators because the cost is minor compared to everything else.

With cars the cost of a driver is higher than the vehicle itself in most areas.

I'm sticking with my 20 year old manual Corolla. I'm an unapologetic Luddite.

Shit that will never work, the Post.

we've had remote-controlled airplanes since way before 9/11. Do you really think that sandpeople took over the plan and flew into the trade centers?

>They can easily argue that you can instruct the car to go somewhere unsafe
Except you know, they can't. That same dumb logic could be applied to an uber driver, and going somewhere unsafe isn't against the law.

they'll come for those user
give it time
cars driven by people will be made illegal

>hacks into food delivery trucks and has them drive off highway causing major food shortage out of nowhere
>other hackers hack their food delivery trucks cause they said something mean on twitter

Bless our machine overlords I love ((technology))

So then what is the purpose of buying high performance vehicles?

People buy these kinds of cars to go fast. Accelerate when they want. Speed. Pass cars going slower. Just have fun.

When cars become autonomous what is the point? Everyone will be fine to kick back in their little autopilot Camry humming along at 80moh.

The actual plan is to allow human driver with AI override. You get to play with the controls but cant' do anything too horrible.

>airplanes are not cars, same can be done with trains but still have human operators because the cost is minor compared to everything else.
Cost is minor? Pilots make big money. The reason they do it is because the KNOW that people wouldn't fly on a pilotless plane. Even if it's 100% safe, people want a human ready to go in case shit hits the fan.
Same with these cars. All it will take is one soccer Mom's auto-car bumping into a bus for the entire district to ban said cars.

of course it will, police are trigger happy already to enforce any driving infringements, they wil jump at the chance to file infringement notices to increase their revenue on any car made before 2019.

>GM
Cant wait for this disaster.

So wait...if there's no steering wheel, brake, or anything, does that mean you could drink and ride in this thing since there's no manual control?

Really though, this would be great for the elderly and those not able to drive due to physical problems.

You know all the times you lose GPS signal or it's not quite right and there's an ally way or you need to park someplace, or get out of the way of an unusual truck or ambulance? And all the times you had to drive around an obstacle during an emergency, or put the car into nuetral to push it. Or all the times showrooms have to have experts part the cars an inch apart to get as much use of floor-space as possible? All the manual times you have to do something for mechanical testing, like turning the wheels all left and all right to change power steering fluid? You know all the times GPS gets confused by nearby or overlapping highways and exits and you have to just make a choice or you learned the route and know to ignore it?

Gone

Sorry I couldn't hang out, my car couldn't figure out where to park.

Luxury will still exist. Luxury can exist on useless shit like necklaces.

>Except you know, they can't
Except you could.

>That same dumb logic could be applied to an uber driver
No, an uber driver is a sentient being, you do not have direct control of them.

>and going somewhere unsafe isn't against the law.
You must be new to dealing with legal issues, easily constitute reckless operation.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

m8 GM wants no fucking steering wheels
how are we gonna control the car? flexing our ass muscles?

Yeah, because the local police are the one who write the laws in America.
As I said, ONE accident from an auto car will freak the public out. The media flips out over the word "shithole", what will happen if an auto car kills a kid at a crosswalk?

Guess what? I'm POOR

Good luck getting me to buy one of these when I'm POOR

>parking an auto car

wrong already

I meant for stubborn meatbags who wanna press da buttons. They can have "control" until Daddy AI sees them do something stupid.

They'll have to catch me first.

Imagine how easy it would be for someone to get arkancided in this vehicle...

>thinking they want you to own anything
You will hail it with an APP and go wherever you want for the cheapest cost ever compared to taxi or owning your own.

>General Motors, a large USA automaker
Why include this? Do they think i'm retarded?

no, the local police do not write laws, the local government does, are you being retarded on purpose? as soon as a few big states go this way there will be a cumulative effect, and then the only place you'll be able to drive manual fuel driven cars will be backwoods states.

Why don't (((they))) want us to shift gears, Sup Forums? Why do (((they))) want full control of our cars?

so something like this?

Fuck this

Muh capitalism, no borders plus no steering wheels

Revolt! It's gonna be an open border capitalist shithole if we don't stop them.

>hacks into gm ai
>uploads data of pol posters and makes cars target racist pol posters

Nothing personnel kid

Neat, now i have a reason to hack them.

I bet those retards will put Bluetooth on that shit too

>no, the local police do not write laws, the local government does,
This ain't gonna be local gov't, auto cars will be state or federal.
>and then the only place you'll be able to drive manual fuel driven cars will be backwoods states.
Are all Ausfags this fucking stupid? If money was the sole issue they wouldn't force car manufacturers to make cars more fuel efficient. More fuel bought = more $ for gov't.
Self Driving cars will never happen. Even if they make it market (which is doubt), one infraction will knock them out of the market.

No sweetie, it's going to be the other way around.

I don't care, i'm gonna be driving my manual Fastback until the day I drop dead. To hell with the (((advancements))). I don't trust any of it.

>try to run from police
>car drives you to the station

>current year + 2
>hidden behind 14 VPNs
shiggy diggy

The future will be comfortable at least. They will get the drugs right to fight depression and everyone will be nice and comfy. The era of humanity is ending.

There are American companies that will value personal freedom over this horseshit. Just don't buy GM

>be trucking industry
>truckerfags get paid by the mile
>the faster they drive the more they make
>automate trucking
>trucks run nonstop 24 hours a day
>no truckerfags to pay
>save money
>hand rubbing intensifies
>eternal jew is never content though
>how else to save money?
>fuel costs

Time matters less when the human element is removed. What does this mean? Long haul automated trucks are going to be traveling at the minimum speed (45 mph) on the interstate highways. Mark my words. This is going to suck.

>American Logic

there are only 3 American car companies and one is owned by the Italians
The only hope is Ford

you ready to burst into flames? everything is hackable. what's to stop anybody from disabling your fly by wire. said something somebody doesnt like? get flown into a tree. this is so mark of the beast like. and the correlation of people killed in this manner might be same as present day number of "undesirables". so nobody will catch on or care. or its usage can increase. and yay for crapitalism. and all the jobs are dying and becoming robots. and trump is a whore

WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?!?!

>delivering supplies to humans you no longer need

top kek.

>from disabling your fly by wire
Because for most cars, you need physical access to flash ETC. Newer models are an exception, not the rule.

They will easily happen, but it will also kill almost all car companies.

>What

There is absolutely no point in owning a self driving car. There is no reason you simply can't have a taxi service for self driving cars.

>Be drunk
>Call UberAUTO or whatever
>Car picks me up
>Vomit in seat
>Car drops me off
>Car goes to whereever they wash cars
>I get charged vomit clean up fee and taxi fee.

So, it will be the goal of these taxi companies to get taxi-cars that have the absolute minimum of features and longest lifespan that will be safe to drive. No one would actually ever outright own a car because there is simply no benefit to it.

The reason this is inevitable is because whoever is first out of the gate with this technology affordable will be stupid fucking rich off it while the bar is set incredibly low because people are laughably bad drivers.

>There are American companies that will value personal freedom

American consumers do not value freedom. Autonomous cars will be the only ones on sale by 2040.

Nevermind I'm retarded.

Clearly you aren't in the industry. I am and can fucking tell you eliminating drivers and their salary will be the single greatest step forward in transportation logistics. Fuck all these crybaby drivers who don't want to touch any freight or get off their fat fucking asses for 2 seconds to pick up a piece of freight.
>this kills the teamsters union
and it is GLORIOUS!

>The only hope is Ford
You mean the company that still imports transits from their factories in Turkey in such a way to avoid taxation meant to stop automakers from shipping factories overseas and then reassembling them in the US because they've been doing it so long?

Ford is on some turbo jew shit.

why trust any of them. look at the fixes for the new intel and amd bugs. back doors. remote access. cloud cars. fuck my ass basically and i hate this idea. total thelma and louise cars. i fucking love driving. we're all fat. we're all fat robotic meaningless blobs now. i wont let that take over me

It means they want to have driveless cars working and AVAILABLE by 2019, it's not like they're just going to stop selling cars with steering wheels. They'll probably be selling them to taxicab companies at a far greater rate than to individual people.

Calm the fuck down.

lel all those fags that get these cars....fucking lazyassmotherfuckers

You're 100% wrong. Chipotle almost went under because of a small ecoli breakout. Airlines have gone under after a plane crash.
Toyota stock dropped like mad because of a flaw in SOME brake.
What do you think will happen if a few auto cars go haywire and crash into people? The PR nightmare alone would be insane.

The auto industry is fucked.

>owning any auto stock when the companies will all be completely dead by 2022

Fat, docile, perpetually consuming sheep. Seems like that's the end goal of it all.