Genderswapping historical figures

What is the origin of this trend in anime? Was Seiba the first prominent example, or is it older?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.jp/dp/4865542116/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Diverse set of "thing" but depicted as cute grills

W H O
W O U L D
T H I N K
O F
T H A T ? ? ?

Isn't that Romance of three kingdom VN did it first?

Koihime Musou? Ikki Tousen came before that so it can't be the first, though Ikki is reincarnation and not just genderswapping.

I don't know but I know I enjoy it a lot especially the way it triggers the fuck out of /his/ and Sup Forums faggots.

Also showcase how the writer and directors focus on viewer fun and enjoyment rather than pointless garbage when it is already indicated as fiction.

>but I know I enjoy it a lot
You should. It's a good anime no matter the underlying/ non exist problem.

This show was fucking shit, disgrace to Nobunaga Oda

Whoever started this trend is too good for this world.

Oda Nobunaga and Okita Souji

Novels have done this way before anime

Why would /his/ be mad? Shouldn't people getting interested in history be a good thing.
Aye. I wonder who started it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had been common in female oriented stuff

Contrary to popular belief, females actually prefer stuff with cool male characters.

Which novels in particular?

Not really, most historical stuff aim or made by female are usually romance with historical figures.

>Why would /his/ be mad? Shouldn't people getting interested in history be a good thing.

This is the stuff that triggers /his/
Nobunaga and his wife Jeanne D'Arc

I like this trend.

Ah, I'd be mad too. Himiko should've won goddammit.

You know, stuff like these are too complicated. Why can't we just have a simple orient/imperial style world and if there is something along the lines of a harem, it would be about concubines/wives involved in their politics?

Hey, at least it's better than Sieg and Jeanne.

Court politics aren't often simple either, are they?

THE FUCK IS THIS, WHY, WHO, WHERE. FUCKING JAPAN

It's simple idea. Ruin other wives, look for "accidents", make "requests", target their children. Nasty business, but at least the the harem itself makes sense or numerous amounts of women. You have admit it is very intriguing itself.

The idea that Uesugi Kenshin was female comes from a novel written by Yagiri Tomeo.

I blame Rance as the earliest for popularizing the use of gender-bender historical figures in works of fiction.
SMT use historical and fictional figures but they don't do gender bender.

It's always men who become 2d women. Are there any women that became a 2d man?

That's a case where a single character has a secret gender-identity. The modern-day historical genderflipping is one in which the whole cast of historical figures is depicted as the opposite gender and this is accepted as a norm in the fictional universe, not as a secret.

But then you get things like alliances, social status, shifting goals, interpersonal relationships and then actually executing those things and suddenly a simple idea becomes complex. The idea is undoubtedly interesting but it wouldn't be any less complicated than something on a grander scale. Done properly there could reasonably be even more nuances than a civil war.

Was it from a novel? I thought it was just folktale.

I thought I was arguing that gender-bending history in itself is complicated/contrived compared to politics of harem but that works too.

Is there a western example to this trope?

Arguably, Oda Nobuna's little brother is an amalgamation of several historical figures one of whom was a woman.

Koihime got two of that; Diao Chan and Himiko.

amazon.co.jp/dp/4865542116/

>The Decision of Julia Caesar - Gallia Senki
>Roman hero Caesar is a big tits and covered with debt!
>The favorite period is ancient Rome, the respecting great is Roman hero Julius Caesar - such a high school student who likes Roman · Seiya Orihara (Saya) Transferred to a different world by a beautiful person who asserts the goddess of the moon.
>There is a world that looks exactly like ancient Rome.
>Although Sayya was able to meet Caesar of the yearning, ...
>Caesar of the other world was a blonde beautiful girl named Julia !!
>Sayya who decided to live in the house of Julia knew the dream of Julia who changed Rome which declines, I promise cooperation.
>However, Julia is a girlfriend who is covered with debt! ·
>Seiya will go to borrow the funds of Julia's planned public works and event holding! -
>Girls' dreams change the world (Rome) Foreign world hero fantasy, Dignified opening!

no, if westerners want important female figures they use existing once, not turning men into women

There was a novel, but folktale may even predate that.

Well, the idea needs to start somewhere.

They turned Caesar into a girl, maybe at least it will make Japs appreciate ancient western culture
>Roman hero Caesar is a big tits and covered with debt
I guess we will have no Caesar's actual accomplishments in anime, fuck NEETS, their ruin both anime and history

People often forget that half the reason Julius Caesar ran for consul and then ran off to conquer Gaul was to escape murderous creditors coming for him to get him to repay the money they loaned him. It's little things like this that make genderbend history anime fun.

The real Caesar was definitely covered in debt, that's why he needed Crassus (the Scrooge McDuck of Rome) as well as the office of consul to keep the moneylenders off his back.

I swear, I've seen this in an LN thread somewhere.

It was only published like last week though.

This post is why nobody take anyone from Sup Forums or /his/ seriously.
Majority of them have never actually read actual non-fiction history books and mostly just roleplay being descendants from important families which naturally would be awesome people in ancient settings, instead of the pathetic losers they now are.

/his/ don't care for actual historical facts, only the fictions that suck their dicks for the day.

I can't believe it. What is Japan gonna do, reverse gender Atilla?

Fate is way ahead of you.

Based, when is the anime

Maybe Keisei suikoden is the origin of that trend.

yeah

Whatever it is I fucking despise it.

/his/ turned out be exactly what everyone feared it would be, which is Sup Forums 2.0. At least in Sup Forums, people actually watch anime and read manga. In /his/, most people get their history from wikipedia and youtube.

Reminds me of this.

An eroge did a much better job.

A Japanese version of the Chinese classic novel Water Margin was published in the 1820s where all the characters were genderswapped. So this trend is close to 200 years old.

Genderbended Napoleonic war when?

One that Oba Nobunga wins by pegging all the generals from both sides?

Female oriented stuff would be fujoshit sausagefest, generally.

>George Washington has never been genderswapped.
This is good. Nips know their place.

>tfw you will never make George Washington.your submissive General wife.

Peculiar choice for swimwear

Caesar is next.

Ayy lmao

The idea you have that Sup Forums would be mad about this kind of stuff, much less care at all, suggests you are a dumb faggot who is way too obsessed with them.

You seems butt-flustered.
Do you want to share with the class where did big bad Sup Forums hurt you?

genderswap when

Personally the gender bending used to be nice and interestimg at first, but now it's just tacky and annoying. Especially with constantly making famous leaders of the world moe-blob lewd lolis. I don't know about you guys but that's just annoying and kind of insulting

>Thread unrelated to Sup Forums
>"Fuck Sup Forums"
>"Why would this be related to Sup Forums?"
>"buttflustered xD?"

Tell that phoneposted class being confused and hurting aren't the same thing.

>Not liking moe-blob lewd loli
Where do you think you are. Joking aside, aye, genderbending historical figures is the most fun when it's not just a cute character with historical name strap to it, but actually have reference to the history and traits that made the person historical.

I'd rather Ben Franklin

>this type of writing
>this anal devastation
Keep at it, burger and one day, we too will believe that you are totally not a burger in the weekly GATE thread.

what about the fuccboization?
this is what Pasha in Ottoman empire looks like according to japs

Have another Arthur.

it was ok, I have seen worse. it was more a fast run down of all big events instead of any story

Is this Eiyuu Senki?

Ivan's better.
Aye.

I'm just typing normally, I'm not sure why you're so adamant I'd be mad about something. Also I'm Australian and have never even watched GATE. You a leaf or something?

All it is is that bringing up that you think a historical genderswap would "trigger the fuck out of /his/ and Sup Forums faggots" out of nowhere, despite it being laughable that either of those boards would even care, just indicates to me and anyone else that you're pretty perma-mad about Sup Forums bud.

And /his/ too, for whatever reason.

>Majority of them have never actually read actual non-fiction history books
>But I, user from Sup Forums know better than them

I love the samurai in this

Agreed.