Children of Ether

Will this show belong on Sup Forums or Sup Forums when it starts?

>Studio founded and run by French people
>just happens to be situated in Japan so they can get freelance animators/artists
>official website is French only
>produced by Crunchyroll
>main creative force is a black guy
>western direction/writing staff

Other urls found in this thread:

yapiko.fr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds like it belongs to Sup Forums

Oh and it's not a black guy who was raised in Japan or anything, just an American guy.

The only significant difference between this and Aeon Flux (which also had a bunch of Japanese people on the visual side of things) is that they got a Japanese character designer and that as far as I'm concerned is not enough to make something anime.

You made this same thread multiple times before, so I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve besides shitposting, but whatever. My take is it's anime. The core production studio itself is Japanese, and that's the definition that matters.Who the director is clearly doesn't change anything, or else Tekkonkinkreet wouldn't be anime and Famicom would be right about all that TM outsourcing work being anime. The production company also doesn't change anything, or else this upcoming Netflix stuff wouldn't be anime, nor would Big O or Dandy, etc.

To be clear, I'm not very happy about this thing existing, but on a semantic level I think it has to be considered anime or else we run into contradictions.

>The core production studio itself is Japanese
I literally told you it's not
>Studio founded and run by French people
>just happens to be situated in Japan so they can get freelance animators/artists
>official website is French only
Seriously, search what Yapiko is. Are you going to tell me Urbance is anime too?

Nigger, I know what Yapiko is. I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The people aren't Japanese, the company is.

>Are you going to tell me Urbance is anime too?
I've never heard of Urbance, which probably means it's not anime, but are you telling me it was made by a Japanese studio?

>created by Eddie Mehong (who worked as animator on japanese series like Casshern Sins and Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna), Jean-Louis Vandestoc (french director / Monster Buster Club, Rekkit ...), and Séverine Varlette (producer).
>yapiko.fr/
>.fr
So Japanese.
So if Disney moved their headquarters to Japan suddenly their work would all be anime?
>I've never heard of Urbance, which probably means it's not anime, but are you telling me it was made by a Japanese studio?
Urbance was made by Yapiko.

I don't think you know what Yapiko is.

There's enough important japanese names in the credits like Hiroshi Shimizu, Shingo Natsume, Yûichi Takahashi and Mitsuo Iso, so I'm fine with it.

>>>.fr
The domain of the website is clearly not a viable criteria, that's silly.

>So if Disney moved their headquarters to Japan suddenly their work would all be anime?
The base nationality of an international conglomerate is vague, but if they "became" a Japanese company, whatever we hashed out the definition of that to be, then yes, their future works would be anime. Not their previous ones, that's not how things work.

>Urbance was made by Yapiko.
I'm not getting a lot of information from Google, but it seems like they were just outsourced to from Steambot, a Canadian studio. If you've got a source that contradicts that, please give it.

>I don't think you know what Yapiko is.
I'd never heard of them before this and the Pirates de la Reunion thing, I've got no clue what previous stuff they did.

>The domain of the website is clearly not a viable criteria, that's silly.
Dude, click my link. The entire website is in French.

Same difference. Websites are not a viable criteria for the definition of anime.

I think it should be posted on Sup Forums because discussion is less likely to suffer from any backlash from this specific point of contention.

Whether or not it's "anime" is a pointless semantic debate.

>or else we run into contradictions
What contradictions? This is pretty clearly different from Big O and Space Dandy, or even Tekkon Kinkreet. I mean, the latter was a manga adaptation.

Oh and Afro Samurai was also based on a Japanese manga, produced by a Japanese studio and had a Japanese main staff

Aeon Flux had people like Takeshi Koike and Itsuki Imazaki though.

Actually, I was wrong earlier; it did have a Japanese character designer working on it.

>but if they "became" a Japanese company
I consider culture to be a part of the national identity of a work or person. I'm pretty sure Yapiko themselves do too, since even though they're situated in Japan they consider themselves a "Franco-Japanese" studio.

Looks like crap, I don't give a fuck about western animation until they shit out something at least on par with Aeon Flux.
Wake me up when that happens

this feels similar to aeon flux (studio run by westerners but employing freelance japs) but lesean thomas has far less artistic vision than peter chung

Isn't this being made by the Boondocks director? I'm midly excited

No, that's McGruder. Lesean doesn't have half the creative vision.

To elaborate, he was co-director for like 6 episodes. He was "character supervisor" for more episodes and I'm not exactly sure what that job entails but he wasn't animation character designer for the main cast or anything.