Flip Flappers

What went wrong?

Episode 9

Otaku have shit taste
BDs cost way too much

The same thing that happens to all of these kinds of shows, the world building and characters are cool, the real plot is side-lined until the last 3 episodes, and the plot fucking sucks ass.

A small dip in quality for the later episodes that only appear as severe because everything before that was almost perfect.

Shit SoL. Shit plot. There's really nothing that went right in the first place.

It was a huge drop. They simply don't know how to write drama. Creating comfy dreamlike adventures was their strength, not character in-fighting.

>implying episode 9 wasn't the best

It was convoluted and only the bare-minimum was revealed at the very end of the show.

papshitka

Yayakas drama was great, Salt managed to become a really good character, Mimis backstory was good, Cocomi and Salts confrontating was good. The only problem was the spinning final attack and pacing.

Honestly, anime must be an amazing story-telling media if the story of Flip Flappers is somewhat bad in comparison to everything else.

>Yayakas drama was great
It was OK
>Salt managed to become a really good character
He was never anything more than some edgy trenchcoated dick
>Mimis backstory was good
It was total garbage
>Cocomi and Salts confrontating was good
No

Your loss then, even if I agree with you on the last 2 points. Mimi should have created more interference earlier if not totally different backstory and the confrontation was left bit too late.

They tried to explain shit instead of being just plain dumb fun.

So much shit taste in one post.

>Mimi should have created more interference earlier
Agreed. A bit more going on on that boat, Mimi being slowly revealed would have given the plot more presence, as it was already there from episode 1 onwards.

The reason why it sold so poorly has more to do with the first batch of episodes more so than the later "shoehorn in a story with the mom" thing.
I think nips were turned off by the character designs (I remember reading some comments and some were like "the eyes are too big") and also thought it was just style over substance? Like "oh this is just to show off how good the animators are" which is fucking retarded.
Then again maybe it was just that the target demographic was looking at other Fall 2016 series and so only a small amount of people were left to buy the BDs. If I recall, Fall 2016 had one of the highest seasonal BD+DVD sales in a long while, and otaku were literally BTFO by fujo anime:
>73,733 16 Yuuri!! On Ice 2016/12/30 BD/DVD
>53,078 4 Uta no Prince-sama Maji Love Legend Star 2017/01/11 BD/DVD
>23,171 6 Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru 2016/12/14 BD/DVD
>11,743 3 Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou 2016/12/07 BD/DVD
>11,067 3 Drifters 2016/12/30 BD-Box
>8,536 4 Bungou Stray Dogs Season 2 2016/12/23 BD/DVD
>8,173 5 Hibike! Euphonium 2 2016/12/21 BD/DVD
>6,930 2 Kidou Senshi Gundam: Tekketsu no Orphans 2nd Season 2017/02/24 BD/DVD
>6,533 4 Natsume Yuujin-chou Go 2016/12/21 BD/DVD
>6,417 2 WWW.Working!! 2016/11/23 BD/DVD
>5,725 2 Brave Witches 2017/02/24 BD/DVD
>5,611 3 ViVid Strike! 2016/12/21 BD/DVD

Show was doomed from the start for being abstract and having no marketing. Oshiyama's next work with Ping Pong's director will probably do better but still not amazing.

The character designs are ass

>What went wrong?

Author change because nips can't into symbolism.

Writer switched with writer

I read Fli-Fla tried to imitate the thematic and the writing of some overrated director/writer whatever, pissing off the otaku or something like that.

No plot for 8 weeks killed off most the audience, by the end only pretentious hipsters sticked with the show.

yayaka didn't win
no ot3

what went wrong in that picture is that the Papikas aren't next to the Coconas

It was AOTY and people were butthurt.

>t. guy who doesn't know anything about character design
The henshins are the best designs ever.

It really felt like it needed another cour to flesh out the man story. Also most people didn't watch it because they bothered to show and not tell for once, instead of just fitting everything into episode one like a pilot.

Nips have shit taste, what else is new

Indeed, Flip Flappers was a masterpiece of show, don't tell storytelling.

Plotshit ruined it.
Even then it was pretty mediocre, not surprised it sold one fractale.

Yeah, and after sitting on seven episodes worth of exposition it's going to feel awkward squeezing it into two.

But I really I think it's a mixture of not having a real hook in the first few episodes and marketing.
The first few episodes meandered quite a bit. Fun, but meandered. I wouldn't be surprised if that turned a lot of people off. It was too random, and needed to stick to a more central theme to get people watching.
Even before the show reached episode 9 it was already set to have really shitty sales.

Poor marketing practices last I heard

Nothing. It's an incredible show from start to finish. People who didn't expect that sort of plot at the end didn't paz attention to the hints given throughout the show and apparently never even watched the OP, a lot is already implied in it. The problem is that the concept caters to a certain demographic that is pissed by more serious storylines. The show has some of the most impressive art direction in any tv feature ever, had excellent world building and character designs and an excellent OST including by far the best ED of last year. People who bitch about "worthless" side characters are retarded sinc most of them were introduced with a specific task which they fulfilled. The only character that really should have gotten more screentime is Salt, they fucked up on his part to be honest.

>Cockona

Nothing, this show was a lot of fun.

That's the problem, I guess, is that Flip Flappers demands its audience to actually pay a great deal of attention to what's going on in every scene.
An example is the Pure Illusion segment of episode 2. All it takes is a google search of "Uexkull" and you'll completely understand everything that the show is trying to tell you here and the nature of Pure Illusion, but most people are used to anime being whacky and substanceless, so they take the name Uexkull for granted and assume it's just random and meaningless. And that leads to the Pure Illusion featured in that episode just seeming like a messy acid trip with no thought put into it, when it's actually the complete opposite.
The only reason I don't say all of episode 2 is that straightforward is because the first half, and especially the first few minutes take on an entirely different tone once you know information from later on, such as Yayaka and Granny's involvement with Aslepius.

No kiss

Everything went wrong when people didn't get their references and the writer gave up and had to be replaced with a shitty one.

This is simply not true.

The writing, mostly.

It is though. The references were very carefully crafted to be true to their inspirations, and all the fas watching totally missed the mark.

They did more than kiss

Honestly if you are making viewers do a google search in order to understand even the basics of the show, you are failing as a director.

It's the viewer's fault for not being familiar with the basics of philosophies and phisiology.
Do not demand that art lower itself to your level, instead seek to rise to its level.

That's a good view to have if you want your art to be thrown into the garbage bin

fujos and otomefags dont give a shit about yuri. they prefer cute boys.

The definition of a plebeian right here.

The moral of the story is that plot only gets in the way of cuteness.

People expected entertainment, got art and became angry.

/thread

eps 1-8 are amazing
eps 9-12 is some of the most disappointing shit ever

FF's main problem was that they tried adding all the plot in a way of consecutive twists by the end, rather than properly establishing it all from early on.

Thus, you have a first half that does a great job at introducing the characters, settings and themes, but more importantly, the main driving factor for the series, and that's Papika and Cocona's relationship.

However, they decided to add all the plot during the final 4 episodes, and by then one of the main characters (Papika) was severely underdeveloped (which never changed), and they ended up with a plot that felt rushed and forced.

I can understand adding twists by the end, but there should be a clear plot already at play, and doing this in a 1-cour show is a terrible idea, since there isn't enough time to play out the story that way.

Best girl didn't win.

Please understand, user. Mimi HAD to lose.

bullshit. the whole end plot was bullshit.

I got the impression that that was just another stage of intimacy in their relationship. They finally learned the darkest parts of each other pasts and personalities that they had been keeping hidden away. It was a test of the power of their platonic love, that they passed by beating the shit out of the ghost of Cocoa's disproving parent.

>ensured her husbando stopped hitting on his student/secretary
But Mimi did win.

>Papicunt

I visit Flip Flapper threads just for this. I haven't even seen the show, I just think it's cute.

>In Salt's Pure Illusion, his daughter is living with Sayuri
>back in the real world, Flip Flap is still functioning as a normal organization
There's no way he and Sayuri aren't fucking harder and more frequently than ever before.

It went absolutely well!