Now that nyaa is DEAD FOREVER we can usher in a golden age of anime by using GNUnet

Now that nyaa is DEAD FOREVER we can usher in a golden age of anime by using GNUnet.

>What is GNUnet?

Basically more secure open source perfect dark.

>What does that mean?

File searches and downloads are 100% done over a mesh network and onion routed and given cover traffic automagically. Files are stored in a distributed cache and can't be taken down or modified, just like bittorrent.

>Who develops GNUnet?

you

>How do I use GNUnet?

Compile it: gnunet.org/downloads

>Has anyone ever pirated anything with GNUnet?

Sup Forums juggled ROMs and music with it for a couple days, so we know it works.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnunet.org/
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Alternative
gnunet.org/build-instructions-microsoft-windows-platforms
xdcc.horriblesubs.info/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Instead of finding an alternative to nyaa, I think it'd be easier to give up and stop watching amine

now why the fuck would we do that?

I think it would be easier to just learn Japanese.

Gnunet is actually very easy to get working on archlinux and gentoo.

Path of least resistance

What happened to nyaa?

Don't you just use tokyotosho like always?

>Compile it
Yeah, nah. The anime scene is second only to the video game scene in terms of computer illiterate people.

Do you have any idea how many good programmers are weebs? I'd say around half.

Do you have any idea how much of Sup Forums's demographic are programmers? I'd say around a fiftieth.

That's much higher than among the general population

That's a great SakuraFish image.

Do you have any idea how many weebs are good programmers? I'd say barely even a thousandth of a percentile.

General rule of thumb: The more open source they are, the more retarded at marketing they become.

Bittorrent would never take off for example, if it weren't for pre-compiled programs on windows.
If this doesn't have that, then it's just a blunder waiting to happen.

That's not what percentile means.

Seems to work in the context I used it for, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

A thousandth of a percent, then.

Percentile is for using proportion of a population as a way of defining a rank for an analog quality. So you can say that someone is in X percentile of a population, but it's nonsensical to say that a gender or personality type is X percentile of a population, that's just percent.

I see. You learn something new every day.

I never bothered with statistics. It just seemed to be 100% useless semantics exercise and memorisation.

Good thing I didn't drew it in exam, or I would have flunked instead of getting top grade.

Is there a buildbot?

you don't actually say "guh new" or "gooey" do you?

>Want to watch Chinese cartoons
>EU requires proprietary subscription software to watch
>MFW the botnet wants me to be bored

tis just semantics.
The problem is that a very large portion of Sup Forums can't program to save their lives.

That sounds like alot of work, I'd legitimately rather just switch over to streaming.

It's not like bittorrent is dead just because Nyaa isn't online right now.

Thanks, I made it.

Not OP, but so happy someone else made this thread.
Here to help guide anyone through the wonderful world of free[dom respecting] software.

We've sort of been waiting for the next major version to flood it with music and cartoons and really start pushing it, but if this will help some of you discover gnunet and start using it, I'll take it.

Psychological question,
would have a gnunet uri `tracker' help you guys in transitioning?
It would basically just be a searchable list of tagged URIs, something you can of course do on your own through gnunet - But I wonder if being being resistant to change, doing it through your browser like you did with torrents wouldn't make it easier.

That would make it easier.

where do I learn to make/host a website on those? can they handle content?

Gnunet is for filesharing. If you want to run a site you should use tor hidden services.

Well, doing stuff other than filesharing on gnunet is possible, but there's not really any software that does it yet.

Sup Forums, get out of my Sup Forums.

Can you throw up some windows binaries?

gnunet is actually a full internet protocol replacement
the file sharer is just one of many different types of clients the official team has put together
you could conceivably write anything to work over gnunet
it is a suite of protocols, not a program
they also have one of the few remaining pleebnet navigable wobsites gnunet.org/
very informative if you have any questions
if something isn't answered for you there, you might have luck in their room no freenode

I have no free software.
And even if I did, sharing it would be immoral.

s/free/nonfree/
whoops

It's still moral to run free software on a nonfree platform if it kills a nonfree alternative.

Been watching anime for 30 years here without using torrents, someone tell me why should I worry about nyaa going down?

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.en.html#Alternative
there is no alternative to freedom

Maybe I misunderstood what was meant.
I do not have any copies of any Windows operating system to share nor would I do so if I did.

"windows binaries" means binary versions of an application compiled for windows

>read What does that mean?
>even more confused

Where do we get the raw files, then? Is there a dedicated anime torrent tracker for that?

No thanks, I don't want to learn Linux just to watch anime.

It's magic.

>Secure
>Fast
>Files stay alive for a long time
>ACTUALLY Anonymous

gnunet.org/build-instructions-microsoft-windows-platforms

It might be easier to just install a usable OS though.
I highly recommend GuixSD.

I HATE IT!

I'm just waiting for freebsd to support my graphics hardware, that's when I'm gonna install a usable OS.

>sbuild is a convenient set of scripts which creates a working msys/mingw installation and installs most dependencies required for GNUnet.

They don't have their dependencies in-tree like most reasonable projects this size do?

You don't have to worry grandpa, now kindly leave while everyone else kills themselves.

as a windows game dev:

this is basically impossible to compile

you're not going to get any users (or developers) if your desktop software isn't easy to run on the main desktop os, at the very least there should be binaries, even if they're unstable, otherwise people won't know what the deal is

This. If there's no simple few-click install program, it's going to be quickly forgotten.

People who work on core/key GNU/free software projects don't typically know or care what wintards want.

Where can I find things to download with this?

How do I make sure it's not all pizza?

really looking for any opportunity to try to recruit people to the free software cult, huh

It has search built in like linewire or w/e

you open a terminal and run
$ gnunet-search
running this as a background process and piping it to a file might be something you want to do
it will spit out the exact string gnunet-download wants as input
you could also use the terrible gui, but i can't say i recommend it

like any other remote file, you can't

So just like anything else I keep trying random shit and eventually accidentally get pizza, and get my door blown open.

Thanks but I'll pass.

Sure but the "door blown open" part won't happen because technology

>these people care about something
>should prolly smear them as a cult

God forbid anyone today actually value freedom.

Explain further.

People get doored for much less, and through torrents, even through Tor.

>Who develops GNUnet?
>you
I didn't ask for this

Basically
Gnunet:
>done over a mesh network and onion routed and given cover traffic automagically

Torrents:
not anonymous in any way, DHT is a mesh network but that's it

Tor:
No cover traffic, traffic analysis attacks can determine whether you're operating on a connection if they're already suspecting you and can listen in on your network traffic, this is not true of gnunet because of cover traffic

So it's Tor with cover traffic.

Isn't the attack of the government running most of the nodes still there?

unlike torrents (which could just as easily contain pizza) no one can see what you're downloading

If the government owns every node that your traffic goes through, yes.

If you're connected to at least one node that isn't owned by the government and they're the node that's used for cover traffic, no.

In other words, it's not like Tor where owning a significant small number of nodes (like 1%) lets them partially break a bunch of peoples' anonymity. They'd have to own literally most of the network, like it would take to compromise bitcoin.

Does your waifu use a type of software that respects her freedoms?

My waifu is freebsd.

gnunet is not tor and that user should really stop saying it is
no, gnunet is supposedly set up in such a way that so long as there is a single uncompromised node, you can't tell shit about anyone else on the network

I'll give it a shot.

But if I search "loli" and get anything but anime and doujins I'm deleting your pedo botnet right now.

>gnunet is not tor and that user should really stop saying it is
he didn't imply it was
>no, gnunet is supposedly set up in such a way that so long as there is a single uncompromised node, you can't tell shit about anyone else on the network
this is not true, at least if network means what it usually does

if network means "the nodes you happen to be connected to" then yes

Well i have a rough idea how it works, i have questions not obvious in the autistic documentation:

1) how much passive bandwidth will it use in and out of my usage for getting files. I need to cap.
2) how much drive space do i need to help the network. Again i need to cap.
3) how much control do i have for what types of the global cache i can ignore, or is that impossible?

There is literally like 10 pdfs on the entire network right now - No one is using it yet.
Like I said, some of us have been waiting for the next major version release and intend to flood it with everything we own.
I could start putting things up, but I'm about to leave on a roadtrip for all of May.

Oh, for fucks sake. I'm a programmer. I could fucking compile this shit and install it. But it'd be pointless because unless you're gonna provide binaries for the 99% who can't there's never going to be any decent content available.

Torrents took off because they're dead fucking simple for the end user.

>network populated exclusively by Sup Forums
Yeah you just KNOW this place is going to be crawling with pizza.

Holy shit I read one post and it's like i'm already in way over my head.

One of you Sup Forumsentlemen please point me to the nearest babby's guide to understanding computer literacy/online anonymity.

Network security is all about having a bunch of wires between random people and making it so that people who can only see the wires can't tell who's saying what to what.

Everything else, encryption, onion routing, cover traffic, is just ways to accomplish that.

Are you a pedo?

If yes, then you need to do tons of research and be very careful
If no, then you don't need to care because nobody cares about anime.

Any ideas when the next major version will happen?

If by `end user' you mean wangblows user, I don't care and I hope no one in the gnunet team ever tries to pander to those retards.
If you chose to remain in a prison, you have no right to complain about this.
Under the operating systems I use, gnunet is dead fucking simple.

Where can I learn about the basics of networking and computers? Even OS, i've read about Windows security concerns but can't comprehend it with my current level of knowledge.

Paranoid is a better description. I've started downloading a lot of music and games recently along with anime. I've read about ISPs throttling or threatening with action.

it's like you have no idea what GNU actually is or stands for

they're 100% hardcore ideologues who don't negotiate

>Paranoid is a better description. I've started downloading a lot of music and games recently along with anime. I've read about ISPs throttling or threatening with action.
ISPs usually give you a warning first and it's rare that that actually happens (do you know how much normalfags pirate stuff like game of thrones on pirate bay? they have lower hanging fruit), don't waste your time unless you have to

>the files will come later, first you have to join us

It's great and all that you feel so strongly about free software. But you're using (working on?) something that by design requires a significant number of users. Without the wangblows users you're basically the niche of niche of niche and you'll never have a decent amount of content on the network.

it's actually a helpful mechanism to keep well-meaning tech blog readers away from 20XX GNU software that never goes anywhere

I didn't ask for nyaa to an hero before we were ready.

>low barrier to entry resource goes down
>here's a"simple" replacement
>you just need a new OS, a new set of skills you don't have, new hardware, and once that's done the ability to just guess exactly how the fuck the original creators set their shit up because the program can "do anything"

Fuck you Sup Forums

Are you in the US? If so then basically you have nothing to worry about for games and anime. Nobody monitors that shit.

What will get scary warning notices relayed to you by your ISP informing you of however many strikes you've accumulated or making you watch videos on why piracy is bad before they restore your service is movies, music, and major network TV shows.

The industry companies there basically pay other companies to do nothing but sit on torrents, record IPs, trace them back to their ISP, and send letters to the ISP.

What the ISP does from there is up to their policy. A few are cool and don't give a shit because it's none of their business, others will cough up your name right away, and most have some sort of strike policy beyond which they make no promises not to divulge your private info so you can be sued for a bajillion dollars and thrown into jail for longer than a murder would have.

Someone explain to a retard how to use XDCC to get older anime, thank you.

>XDCC
It's just a file transfer over IRC between users. Find a network/channel with a bot setup that's sitting on a pile of anime tiddy. Message it "!help" or "help" or whatever and it'll spit instructions back to you on how to get listings and initiate transfers.

What anime sharing channels are there? Only ever used #bookz.

I have literally no idea. Haven't downloaded chinese cartoons via IRC in years.

Sup Forums has been terrible these last 5 years, what a shame. It'd be hilarious if it was just one guy with a shitposting script.

Sup Forums's had the hardest downfall of any board

pretty sure rizon is used for anime

Once i know there is a sub group dumping on GNUnet, i might go through the technical bullshit and compile this for my windows.

Compile, because these assholes have the console so far up their own ass they don't even bother to do it for the new userbase they need to build up. Make this shit easier guys.

Don't forget you're here forever.

But that's a server not a channel.

>What happened to nyaa?
New EU legal precedent means even watching streams or linking to pirated content can put your ass in prison for years. Nyaa got spooked.

>muh video games
>muh work computer
if you're gonna be an idiot, at least buy a mac. there is zero respectable reason to use windows

xdcc.horriblesubs.info/