Angel's Egg

can someone tell me what the hell did I just watch?

Something about the rapture.

so the girl is the jesus?
or is it the dude?

It's been a while but the girls death was necessary , right? The breath she let out as she drowned gave birth to the eggs that can then be winged beings that can leave that accursed place.

art

It's about faith and shit.

J U S T - A R T

I interpreted it as martyrdom.

y'all niggas need jesus

Dude just turn off your brain, bro!

I should rewatch this, I only remember the shadow fishermen.

Great movie.
Heavly based on subtext and interpretation but actually pretty clear with it's symbolic.
Since Yoshitaka Amano worked on this it has the great feeling of early Final Fantasy games, very comfy stuff

speaking of Angel's Egg and anime in general, is there any other anime that really emphasized in visual storytelling rather than dialogues?
because this is probably the first movie I've seen that literally "show, don't tell"

It's a masterpiece of atmosphere. Fantastic on vicodin or anything else that clears your head

Theological allegory of salvation and faith. In short, the girl goes through the motions of worship but her faith is empty. Jesus comes along and breaks it open, causing a spiritual crisis, but also allowing her to perform a real act of devotion, which yields living eggs.

Something about loss of faith and innocence or some shit like that

Did nothing for me personally

>Jesus comes along and breaks it open
What does that mean?

>allowing her to perform a real act of devotion
like what?

>I should rewatch this, I only remember the shadow fishermen.
I assumed they were metaphors, for theologians trying to pin down metaphysical proofs and religious arguments.

>It's been a while but the girls death was necessary , right?
Yes, it's how she returns back to god. Standing among the statues, because she is perfect in the mind of god, and thus eternally unchanging, unlike imperfect flesh-and-blood.

Her drowning and death.

I have to admit the first time I watched it was with a heavily Christian friend of mine and I was expecting some insight, but she was confused as fuck.

Why is incidental drowning/death an act of devotion?

I think it's more she was pure of heart, she died, she is no longer alive. I do apologise, less devotion more the end but she did devote herself to her task.

It's about Mamoru Oshii and his abandoning of Christianity and moving on to atheism.

The best animated movie in existence

Everyone who watched this film without having been a Japanese Christian is a poser.