Is Anime better now that it's accessible to everyone...

Is Anime better now that it's accessible to everyone, or would standards be higher if it was more niche like it was in the 80s & 90s?

Other urls found in this thread:

headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170506-00010007-abema-ent
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anime now is doing better than ever.

Post a pic of yourself that way if I ever see you I'll kill you with my bare hands.

Like hell it is, you dumb shit. Anime was at its peak during the late 90s to mid 00s. Ever since then it's been studios going bankrupt, sales tanking, outsourcing to the extreme and expectations rising on top of it all. Your stream subscription does fuck all. During the golden age of anime during the early 00s you could make whatever and it would sell.
I will testify for you in court.

>Anime was at its peak during the late 90s to mid 00s.
Actually those were the worst years, there were some amazing gems there but the general quality was very very low.

SALES you mongoloid.

Golden Age: 82-92
Silver Age: 93-03
Bronze age: 04-14
3D Age: 15-Now

Sales what

Sales peaked during the early years after the DVD player hit the domestic market.

don't post that here, too many newfags here that don't undestand what is was to be grateful for being able to watch a series or two

then again, there are the oldfags that claim moe, gook outsourcing and digital animation killed the industry

anime adapts to the taste it's audience the japanese people, not the western world. So if kemono friends is more popular than berserker, you already know why.

Was talking about sales when he said peak?

I Think I read somewhere that the anime industry was in a stagnative declining in the 90s but Evangelion changed it. How true is this?

i like old anime
i also like new anime
it's all p good

NGE basically invented late night anime.

There's actually way too many anime studios around, because too many of them split off from the large one.
And those shitty smaller anime studios are being kept alive by their parent companies like hikkis, giving them pocket money for doing inbetween shit.
For every Manglobe that dies, there's suddenly four or five smaller studios springing into existence, like Studio Wit and Production IMS and MAPPA and Passione.

Yeah before that it was mostly kid shows and mecha

Actually, the two peaks of profits happened in 2005-2006 thanks to the foreign market starting to give a shit about the big era of shounen and its several tentpole titles, and only reached that again in 2016 thanks to the chinese market legally opening itself.
If we're only talking about animation and its byproducts, that is.
I'd be surprised to see how well the arrival of manga on some market impacted the profits of japanese editors in the 80s though. It's said that DBZ and Akira singlehandedly saved the french comic book industry from dying, so who knows.

>mid 00s
>good
You can't be serious. The early and mid 00s were mostly terrible. Things didn't get better until later.

Anime then was splitting between kid-oriented series that can air at any time and get the best profit margins ; and adult anime that was aimed at a specialized audience and was either obtuse or trying to be artsy. EVA was part of the latter, but was both easy to get into and kept a facade of depth (despite being a monster-of-the-week show) that broke the image of adult animation being self-indulgent and uninteresting artsy stuff or dumbed down commercial products based on succesful manga.
pretty ironic when you thing of it now
Most profitable period in anime though.
Like it or not, but Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, FMA and Death Note brought in the masses, not just in Japan but the made the west care again for the first time since Dragon Ball

>it's accessible to everyone
Was. With nyaa's death it's back to being esoteric.

>juvenoia hits the anime community
interesting development, in that case, were cars simply better in the 90s and is vinyl still better than digital media?

Meh, most will simply use streaming services like Crunchyroll, or the pirate stream sites.

I can still get my anime just as quickly and conveniently as I did when nyaa was still around, user.

Sales of cars hasn't changed significantly, as for vinyls, absolutely. Digitization of media has lead to dramatically decreased profit margins all over the world. The ones who rake in the dough are the service providers, aka the third parties.

meant for

It depends, if you like mecha probably not.

>Sales of cars hasn't changed significantly
GM and Chrysler would like to have a word with you and so would the every damn Jap car company that forced Ford into Mexico and Canada.
>The ones who rake in the dough are the service providers, aka the third parties.
Haha, what? Vinyl was just about as profitable for 3rd parties because vinyl was cheap to make and turn into actual records. The only reason we still don't listen to records was the development of cheaper CONSUMER means of playing music; cassettes and digital download are probably more expensive now for music than a slab of plastic ever was.

>Is X better now that it's accessible to everyone

No

So this has never been true of anything ever?

Anime peaked during 2007-2009

Something else will come along and replace it.
Just count a few months.
Remember when everyone thought piracy would never recover from Megaupload's death?

No one thought that.

Many thought that and then discovered torrents, which they didn't need before.
Same sort of thing is going to happen. As always.
You can't stop online piracy, whenever a big platform disappears, at least one other will appear to take its place. That's how it always went since Napster, and that's how it will always go.

>were cars simply better in the 90s
Yes, not nearly as much electronics and you could actually work on it yourself without need any special equipment.

Yes and yes.
The only thing today's cars have going for them is safety, and it's at the price of everything else.
Vinyl was possibly the best format for the customer in terms of what you get for what you pay.

Well now they are planning on remaking a lot of old series during those eras if this article is to be believe. headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20170506-00010007-abema-ent

They basically want to get people to buy discs again because they realize the current industry right now is shit despite their efforts on trying to get many people to buy disc as possible with event ticks and so on.

Well, if they're going to put 12 episodes into one or two discs for a normal price that even normal Japanese can afford, then that's going to benefit everyone.
But quite frankly, I believe that the anime disc producers should really consider it a lost cause, and just focus on broadening their streaming services.

it's question of quantity and quality, nowadays many more anime are made and you can work with far less budget than before, many anime follow philosophy that cute grills doing cute things sell well so they become mainstream and much more is talked about them than about other ones which might have interesting theme

I don't really get the question. People's standards are as varying as they have ever been. The industry has been bad for a long time, but is worse now than it's ever been. Not all modern anime is bad, but I think most good ones can't hold a candle to those of yesteryear. It seems to me that there's less young talent as well, and the most exciting projects come from veterans.

They honestly need to reduce the amount of shows produce. Other anime directors have already pointed out that it is ridiculous the amount of shows that are being put out when it's impossible for everyone to buy and watch these shows. Plus, the whole issue of not being enough animators leading to production problems is another reason why they need to be reduced.

Miyazaki once wrote something interesting on this. About being aware of how fucked the amount of content that's being made is, but still wanting to add to it. Like if you put yourself in the director's shoes, what should they do? Quit their job? It's paradoxical.

Absolute fucking cringe.