Makoto Shinkai seems depressed. How do we cheer him up?

Makoto Shinkai seems depressed. How do we cheer him up?

We know he loves trains, clouds and space.

Other urls found in this thread:

fgilantranslations.com/2016/12/29/kimi-no-na-c8-your-name/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also older women.

I think he has a foot fetish as well. Maybe we should all send him pics of our feet?

But he IS older

The only thing he loves more than clouds is heartbreak.

He's depressed because he rides on a single idea of trying to reach something already lost for 10 years now with slight variations.

Yes, he seems quite infatuated with feet.

When Taki gives Mitsuha back the rope, that's also mutsubi.
Their meeting again was assured at that point, you shouldn't have doubted.

Haven't you seen the movie? He's absolutely right to be depressed.

In fact, why the fuck aren't you depressed? It's been almost a month since I saw Byousoku and I still want someone to put me out of my misery.

There is no musubi IRL. Only eternal longing.

>In fact, why the fuck aren't you depressed? It's been almost a month since I saw Byousoku and I still want someone to put me out of my misery.
You build up a resistance to Shinkai over time and many rewatches.

I was surprised to find how happy Your Name's ending was. maybe he is recovering thanks to all the money and fame.

5cm still kills me though.

Just don't go watch his movies. He seems to hate it.

Probably a producer who got tired of his shit and told him to turn it into a happy end.

How can we be happy when people like Taki and Mitsuha, whose actions greatly changed the fate of an entire town's people, can't even remember or be remembered for doing such a thing, with the message boiling down to all humans can do is wait for something to happen?

I rewatched it again last week and hardly felt a thing.
You get used to it eventually.

Kimi no Na wa doesn't have a message. It's not telling you to wait for something good to happen. That was just the feeling that they had due to mutsubi.

Bullshit, I cried during every single one of his movies, every single time. Most of his shorts, too. That fucking cat deserved better.

Then I watched some series that wouldn't have made me cry normally and cried at those. Anohana. Shigatsu. Even fucking Clannad made me weep, and I already knew about the cop out ending.

Yesterday I woke up, remembered 5cm, remembered that I never even had an Akari to long for, and cried.

Today I went shopping. There was a train crossing on the way. As I waited for it to pass, there was noboby around me, so I cried.

Tomorrow, I'll probably go binge some more drama and cry some more.

I'll never seize the day. I'll never connect to other people in a meaningful way. I'll never relive my childhood, I'll never blush just by holding hands, and I'll never get flustered by the idea of sex.

There won't be any reconnecting with old friends. They haven't been the people I'd befriended for a long time, and I haven't been the person they once remembered and now forgot. I can barely remember their names.

It's been over for me since the last decade. All Shinkai did was make me realize this.

Jesus Christ. Just kill yourself already.

Or even better, just accept life sucks.

Fuck you, user. You don't have it any better.

Is she older than Taki though?

No, I don't.

yea that single idea doesnt sell money

So why aren't you killing yourself?

Because life can suck but I don't. Unlike you.

Cry some more. I cried from all those series too but I don't even feel sad watching 5cm now.

Did you pay any attention?

What? She appears to be younger than Taki so the three year difference might equalize their ages.

>Makoto Shinkai seems depressed. How do we cheer him up?
>We know he loves trains, clouds and space.
>loves trains, clouds and space.
>trains, space

Make him do a remake of Galaxy Express 999!

On a second thought, that would kill him and us from severe depression.

Bullshit, I've watched all his movies several times, and Through the years and far away still puts tears in my eyes.

Her age was shown in the list of casualties from the comet. 17, the same as Taki.

Did you even watch the movie?

Fucking hell, learn to use the spoiler tag you moron!

On other news, all that crying is not normal, go see a darn psychiatrist, you are beyond the realm of psycology.

It's not even the plots of Shinkai's movies that get me down. I can't think of the word at the moment, but when the music and art/animation work so well together makes me hate real life.

>tfw no riverbanks to walk along
>tfw no beautiful garden to sit in

Or it was her giving him the rope in the first place that tied them together (ignore anything about a time paradox). Taki giving it back could have severed the connection.

>you will never take an easily-impressed older country girl to a cafe

Did some old cougar take Shinkais virginity? Was there extensive footplay while he was on his back, looking at clouds and listening to the sound of trains passing by?

Is that what he's been searching for all his life?

To say that this movie doesn't have any meaning is a stretch. Now, I don't mean to say that a movie has to be preachy to be good, or that a movie has all movies have themes, but it's pretty clear cut here. Just like 5cm was about moving on and accepting loss, Kimi no na wa is about NOT moving on and NOT accepting loss.

That's perfect, it has an older woman too.

>We know he loves trains, clouds and space.
Cute! CUTE!

>5cm was about moving on and accepting loss
Really? It felt more like it was about some losses being so great, you can't move on from them even after you've forgotten about it.

>the drumming that starts once they walk past each other at the brigde

The masochist in me wanted it to end there. I would have hated and loved it and the same time. I'm glad we had a happy ending though. But there is still something that give a slight depression in it.

Well he moved on at the very end

Her giving him the rope was what made THEM body swap because it was a connection between them.
The connection severed when Mitsuha died.

The entire point was that him hanging onto the loss was ruining his life and it would only improve when he finally gave up and moved on.

Watch his face as he turns away from the railway tracks.

That really wasn't an "I guess all my deep-seated psychological issues are solved because of this one moment" kind of smile, user. She moved on. He waited.

Doesn't mean it's a possible thing to do.

What's even better is when you realize that the starting vocals for the song (もうすこしだけでいい) are both Taki's and Mitsuha's thoughts at the time.

Maybe not, but it's the correct thing to do.

It actually helped me get over my hardest break up

Yes, she had moved on while he was locked in the past but when he turns away from the tracks you can see that he has lost that depressed expression he had. He is moving on.

It's probably not right to say he waited either. He did have a relationship with that girl in the third act for a while but he hadn't put Akari behind him.

>Taki was the one inside her
did she literally say it like that?

yes

Yeah, but he realized she had moved on and that he had to do the same.

>私たちは、会えばぜったい、すぐにわかる。私に入っていたのは、君なんだって。君に入っていたのは、私なんだって。

>But there is still something that give a slight depression in it.
On one hand, this is because the movie convincingly evokes nostalgia/natsukashii.

On the other, I believe it's because people aren't fully interpreting the ending. The sense of loss so closely connected to nostalgia, which prevails until the last two minutes of the movie, only constitutes the first part of Shinkai's thesis. The second is what happens in those last two minutes. As soon as Taki and Mitsuha's eyes meet across the trains, the fulfillment of Mitsuha's prediction (that if they ever crossed paths in the world, they would instinctively know one another was the other who had been inside them) is complete. This is more than love at first sight. It's Shinkai asserting that when you find the one you are meant to love, it reawakens the all the wonder and special power of your youth, more potently than ever before. In other words, it allows you to reclaim all the beauty of nostalgic memories, but in the present.

I'm not sure he realized she had moved on, he still had no contact from her to know she was getting married or anything, but he certainly realized that he should move on.

Where did you copypasta that from?

I loved how they used dialects in Finmongolian subs. Even the guys who translated it managed to throw in a small message when their company were shown after the actual credits.

Towards brighter future

From my thoughts user.

Although I did write essentially the same thing in one Your Name thread a little while back.

It still looked depressed to me, or perhaps defeated. Sad smiles are a thing.

At this point, the only argument left is "you're projecting." Which is the point of the movie ending there. Which implies it's left for the viewer to decide, unless Shinkai is a hack who's been having a lucky streak.

My conclusion is derived from the life I've has so far, same as yours.

Except since I don't suck dicks, I'm correct and you're wrong.

not even masochists would survive if he ended that shit right there

And feet.

>That's perfect, it has an older woman too.
I know right?
>Maetel
She's misterious and knows way more about life and human nature than the MC
>Relationship with Maetel
Always improving the more the MC interacts with her
>In the end that relationshinp with Maetel is not meant to be, despite how beatuiful it could be
makoto's forté
>Maetel's feet
HNNNNGGGG

See, SEEE? Makoto's GE999 is a perfect match!!

He may not be happy, and you could probably call it a sad smile, but it's like the only smile you see him with when he isn't around other people so if you don't take it as a good sign of him leaving the past behind then you have issues.

Should I watch this GE999? The movie or the series? Or read the manga?

Honestly, I think an ending like that would have felt cheap. I know people usually think that the happy endings feel out of place, but I think it's too easy to make something sad. I'm much more impressed by the story resonating and being powerful without resorting to a gut-punch depressing ending.

The small things like those hedgehogs are adorable

I still prefer the LN version of the ending scene. No corny "have we met before?" line, they both just turn around at the same time and ask their names.

fgilantranslations.com/2016/12/29/kimi-no-na-c8-your-name/

The LN doesn't even give the impression they continue walking as far as they do in the film before turning around.

>I'm much more impressed by the story resonating and being powerful without resorting to a gut-punch depressing ending.
Indeed. I was just thinking about this with regards to Your Name yesterday.

Although more to the point, the happiness or sadness of an ending is a completely arbitrary metric for quality-assessment.

Hopefully they still had some sexy time afterwards

Of course they did. They fell in love.

It's not that it's better just because it's good or bad, it's just that in a movie where time-traveling body-swappers save a town from a meteor impact, a depressing, unrewarding ending would have felt sad just for the sake of being sad, and that would have made it feel cheap.

For something like 5cm, which is about the one of the subtlest and most brutal facts of life, a melancholic and honest ending was more appropriate. Having the characters meet and obtain closure would have deviated from what life actually is like. It would have felt like a bit of a cop out, or a wish-fulfillment, or whatever you want to call it.

So I'd say it kinda does matter.

>it's just that in a movie where time-traveling body-swappers save a town from a meteor impact, a depressing, unrewarding ending would have felt sad just for the sake of being sad, and that would have made it feel cheap.
I'd never thought about it like that, kek. There's truth to that, but it isn't proof that the common valuation placed on sad endings versus happy ones isn't arbitrary. Or perhaps we mean different things. I simply mean that the tone of an ending in and of itself is not useful to criticize. However, when its situated in a broader context like you have done, that's another matter.

The theater in my city has had showings of this for a month now and they're still adding more. What the fuck.

Pretty sure that drawn out bit was just to fuck with the audience, get them expecting a 5cm ending.

Manga is great because the epilogue is from Mitsuha's POV, and it 100% confirms she's purer than the driven snow.

That's a bit of a stretch, and a weird way to tie in the Natsukashii element. I don't think Shinkai is saying something as simple as "fate will prevail and you'll meet your soulmate."

It's a weird way to think about the movie, because Taki doesn't actually have his soulmate tossed in his lap. No, Fate is a prick and killed her three years ago. He has to jump through hoops and bounds, and she has to too, in order to get what they want.

The film is about the struggle to capture the things most important to you. It's going to be hard, and there's no guarantee that you'll even get it in the end - the characters waited 8 years, after all. But these are the only things that matter in life, and you should chase your dreams because who knows when another earthquake might kill everyone you know and love.

There's a reason this film resonated with so many older viewers, rather than just teenagers. The idea that even though the Natsukashii of their youth is gone, like Itomori getting meteor'd, the culture simply shifts and their traditions and values will live on. Like Mitsuha's ribbon, and Taki's dream of building nostalgic towns. Hell, the idea of Musubi controlling everything regardless of era too.

Ironically though, this film has kind of become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Tourism in Gifu is higher than ever, Kumihimo and traditional crafts are selling quite well too.

>Pretty sure that drawn out bit was just to fuck with the audience, get them expecting a 5cm ending.
It worked, though. I was so fucking terrified that the edges of the seat left marks in my palms and I didn't notice until I stood up.

>watch Your Name
>good shit, time to watch Shinkai's other movies
>depressing shit
>go to watch the movie again for healing

I still have one movie ticket which expires in few days. And sure as hell I'm not using it to see GitS or Fast and Furious 213214. Third time is the charmest I guess.

>Manga is great because the epilogue is from Mitsuha's POV, and it 100% confirms she's purer than the driven snow.
but she sure is lewd enough to do crazy stuff with Taki

US? Same in my city, thank Funimation for utterly failing to market the film. It may not be a huge commercial success, but going solely on word of mouth buzz does create steady business for the theaters until most of the potential audience has heard of and seen it, rather than all of them going at once in the first week or two.

Being lewd for one person isn't the same as being slutty.

In a way, the purest girls are the lewdest.

I am pretty sure you can read enough into Mitsuha's side in the LN to see that she is pure there as well.
In the beginning, which I believe is the day that they meet because it goes back to that day later in the epilogue, they both say "私・俺は、だれかひとりを、ひとりだけを、探している。"
Mitsuha also gets one of the あとすこしだけでいいから, which is echoing Taki's ones, while she is doing her hair before she leaves the apartment. So that is a strong suggestion that she is in the same situation as Taki.

the atmosphere?

True, but in the Manga you actually see her reject a man asking her out and turn down a marriage interview. And she is, like, 26. The pressure is pretty high to get married at that point, I bet within a year she and Taki get hitched.

Canada, Toronto. The first week showings all sold out.

Is that what you call it when the world around you transform into something that encompasses the current situation to perfection, if not beyond?

Actually now that I think about it if there is a god IRL he's a total fucking hack.

3/10 would not reincarnate again

i know what you mean, the real world is so depressingly ugly compared to his movies.

Goddammit. I live in Windsor and want to see the movie again but it's not playing here, and I don't want to go to Detroit.

You in Bellevue? I just watched it there for the e i g t h time yesterday.

I never said anything about fate. But I can see where you might have taken that implication from, since I wrote "meant to love". I meant 'meant' in the sense of the optimal outcome; not as a matter of inescapable destiny.

>That's a bit of a stretch, and a weird way to tie in the Natsukashii element.
Not at all. Nostalgia/natsukashii is in essence the romanticization of the past. It tugs at the heart as profoundly as does a lover. The experience of love is reinvigorating in a manner reminiscent of youth--and both are transcendental, yet also transient.

This is why Taki and Mitsuha's opening/closing monologue was so focused on his ineffable sense of loss. Each was missing something inside they couldn't understand. And then they found it in one another. That's the genius of the movie: it uses an impossible body-swap time travel story to articulate the impossible yearning of nostalgia--and then presented an antidote in the form of human love.

>The film is about the struggle to capture the things most important to you. It's going to be hard, and there's no guarantee that you'll even get it in the end - the characters waited 8 years, after all.
On this we agree. This idea and the one I was exploring aren't mutually exclusive.
>you should chase your dreams because who knows when another earthquake might kill everyone you know and love.
Although I would suggest on this point that the message was more forward-looking: Even if tragedy befalls you, wonderful unforeseeable things (hopefully) await you in the future. Which is basically what you said yourself: "The idea that even though the Natsukashii of their youth is gone, like Itomori getting meteor'd, the culture simply shifts and their traditions and values will live on." But I digress, the difference is one of semantics.

Go for it, user.

Did the dog survive the meteor impact? It looks like a shiba inu to me

Cloud Space Train 999

>Although I would suggest on this point that the message was more forward-looking: Even if tragedy befalls you, wonderful unforeseeable things (hopefully) await you in the future.
Maybe, but that's no reason to not chase what you care for. I mean, the whole reason Shikai made the movie was because after the quake, he felt like people should live their lives more urgently and proactively, and that his previous philosophy of "accept loss and move on" was incorrect.

>This is why Taki and Mitsuha's opening/closing monologue was so focused on his ineffable sense of loss. Each was missing something inside they couldn't understand. And then they found it in one another. That's the genius of the movie: it uses an impossible body-swap time travel story to articulate the impossible yearning of nostalgia--and then presented an antidote in the form of human love.
The idea of "love" being an antidote is the stretch part. What fills that hole could just as well be a creative passion or a child or just a new appreciation for life. There's nothing to say it HAS to be love specifically. The point is that you shouldn't accept being empty and accept your loss, but constantly look for what will make you happy.

That's retarded. You never plug up the hole. The feeling never goes away completely. What you're talking about is akin to trying to dry up a swampy sinkhole a hundred meters deep with sand using a child's beach bucket.

This time I need to pick weekend showing. I just need more of those audience reactions. I never expected the boob grabbing jokes to be so well received by your typical audience. Ironic in a way since I love stupid ecchi harems but didn't feel it fit at all in the last two times.

>Maybe, but that's no reason to not chase what you care for. I mean, the whole reason Shikai made the movie was because after the quake, he felt like people should live their lives more urgently and proactively, and that his previous philosophy of "accept loss and move on" was incorrect.
Right, I agree. Like I said, I was quibbling about semantics.

>The idea of "love" being an antidote is the stretch part. What fills that hole could just as well be a creative passion or a child or just a new appreciation for life. There's nothing to say it HAS to be love specifically. The point is that you shouldn't accept being empty and accept your loss, but constantly look for what will make you happy.
This I agree with and disagree with. I suppose the difference in perspective here comes down to how invested one is in Taki and Mitsuha's interpesonal relationship specifically. But yes, on the broader thematic note, I take your point.

>What you're talking about is akin to trying to dry up a swampy sinkhole a hundred meters deep with sand using a child's beach bucket.
I wouldn't say it's so bleak. The feeling might never go away, but you find accommodation for it through the experience of new wonderful feelings in your life. It becomes part of who you are, and that's fine. Incidentally, this is veering into the same hair-splitting thing I just wrote about at the top of the post.

Yes, I would recommend that!

> I never expected the boob grabbing jokes to be so well received by your typical audience.
Your Name revealed quite impressively that normies can be taken in by ecchi too.

The night she wished to become a boy(female), Musubi, the ancient cosmic god from the other meteorite, to whom they offered the sake, linked Mitsuha with visions of the future, to give her a chance of saving her village. She fucked up by fucking around with some guys life instead.

When the deed was done and the guy wants to do something 3 fucking years late, he goes to the shrine and the god gives him a chance to re-link. At this point, he is either warped into another dimension, or somewhere in the universe that town is facing ultimate destruction every second that passes.

Anyways, the guy helps the god find a way to relink that parallel universe with the common universe, and everyone's happy again.

It is possible that since the ancient meteorite being was part of the very same comet that crashed recently, his unfathomable intelligence made him able to predict the latest trajectory and conditions of his primordial comet-form. This makes us wonder about the future of the world with two minor gods having crashed so close to each other on Earth and the fact that a higher being is soaring the solar system.

Kimi no na wa is truly the greatest anime film of all time, its lore runs even deeper than that of Evangelion's

>its lore runs even deeper than that of Evangelion's
This is good bait because it's true.

Do EVA fans actually think the lore was good? Because I've met literally zero people with the correct amount of chromosomes who list the premise or the plot among its strengths.

>Do EVA fans actually think the lore was good?
I have no idea. I remember years ago when I used to think more of it. In any case, Anno put it (whatever IT really is) to good use visually, if not in terms of substance.

>Kimi no na wa is truly the greatest anime film of all time
that's just, like, your opinion man