When did you realize that video games might become the next tool for big brother?

When did you realize that video games might become the next tool for big brother?

imgur.com/a/rhFuj

bump

When they put microphones and video cameras into game consoles

play old games then you dummy

What are they gonna try next? Literally putting a surveillance device on your face? Pssh

What makes you think they aren't already?

overwhelming piracy

>when

Medium rundown

As soon as they started each bit of their shite.
Pro Tip: it's completely obvious

>overwhelming piracy
You think those cracked games don't have code which activates capture software built-in to your OS? Also, most of the folks with pirate flags are cops.

When Doom came out and the press was all about how the pentagon paid for it.

Update consol.
Disconnect from broadband.
Put COD WWII in for first time.
GET told you cannot play until you have 'updated your system'.
Hmmm... where's scooby doo when you need him

gamergate

They already are. That is why all of the big title games have been garbage for the past several years.

if this was true then wouldn't games suck less than they do?
Everyone hates SJW politics being injected, gamergate was a watershed moment, microtransactions are universally hated, advertising doesn't fucking work on gamers.

If they really know so much about us why does mass effect andromeda exist?
Why does assassins creed age of kangz exist?
Why does tomb raider "no longer a sex symbol" exist?
Why does skyrim keep policing mods so no nudity gets through when mod communities like loverslab have singlehandedly been keeping that game alive for years?

If they really have all this information then why does everything suck so hard?

Literally all media is used.

Doesn't mean all movies or games are effected by it much, so they can still be quality titles.

source?

When the jews reduced Lara Croft boob size that was the last straw! There is only so much a perfectly sane and stable man can take.

Anyway the encroachment of vidya was the alarm that woke us up and not the real problem that had been ignored for too long.

Reading the latest PC/Computing in the school library back in the 90s.

John Carmak and the crew at Id Software came up with the concept of raycasting, which allowed for a reasonable approximation of raytracing to provide realtime first-person-perspective 3D graphics which would obviously have myriad military applications including but not limited to lots of young kids being trained to shoot the baddies.

How is it related to quality?
This is juzt a way to make the game more profitable and integrate microtransactions into the gameplay (among other things outside the games themselves).
If anything it's inversely related to quality.

That's freaky.

I remember hearing somewhere that DARPA has made use of the FPS genre in some way.

>>he doesnt know.

((They've)) used ((video games)) for quite some time now, for refrence please see ((rayman)) on nintendo switch while you go About saving ((TEENsies)). Ruined the whole fucking thing for me, when truely redpilled you can't watch or play ((tv or games)) without see8ng ((their)) symbols or undertones. Sad.

Well yeah of course they're all about sims and stuff.

I forget whether it was during WWI or WWII but the army figured out it had a real problem on its hands with infantrymen finding they couldn't actually pull the trigger and shoot another man on the battlefield. Part of the reason from switching from old fashioned bulls-eyes for target practice to shooting at pictures of people. They need people who will kill by instinct.

DARPA's up to all kinds of stuff. Go figure I would eventually work on DARPA-funded projects from time to time. Personally I don't think it's that hard to imagine the kind of things they're up to based on entirely public information. I makes me wonder if people really do just look at the the "official" application for some technology or other that's supposed to do all these great things for people and then just not think any further than that. Too many other people who work on these things seem to want to pretend the obvious is uncomfortable and not suitable for casual discussion imo.

What other technologies do you think are non-obviously militarized that the general population doesn't know about?

That's way too open-ended a question, and I'd have to write a whole bunch of tl;dr about my views on where things are headed.

Instead I'll answer like this. Think of each bit of technology like a different lego piece. If you maybe just like the gears from the technics sets a lot, or making kits that look like star wars, or you just build things that are in the instruction manual, then you're thinking inside of the box. This piece here can only be an antenna on a space ship. These wheels can only go on the bottom of a motor vehicle.

But if you look at all the different lego pieces you have, then really what you could make with them is entirely up to your imagination. And there are crazy smart people out there even if they mainly get kept behind the scenes. So if you look at a big list of which kind of lego pieces they're willing to pay money for somebody to develop, then just wonder to yourself what you might build if you had those lego pieces.

I know, but I was just interested in some interesting or noteworthy examples.

I wasn't expecting an in-depth explanation.

Eh, too many to bother remembering. Maybe one of the more obvious ones was how to use AI-culled background knowledge from the internet to help drones save people from burning buildings.

Gee idunnolol is everybody else just pretending that would be the primary use of this technology?

>Eh, too many to bother remembering
No offense, but that doesn't make any sense.
I'm clearly just asking you for a couple, not the full list.
How can there be so many that you have trouble remembering a few?

>Maybe one of the more obvious ones was how to use AI-culled background knowledge from the internet to help drones save people from burning buildings
How does that work?
It scans places like Twitter to find people posting about fires to accurately locate and save them?
I couldn't find anything on my (brief) Google search.

The drone thing is really pretty roundabout. One of those oddball funding attempts to build a strange-looking lego piece that connects two seemingly unrelated funding areas that doesn't make sense until you build something bigger with it.

Let's say everybody starts living in these shoebox houses, or you want to operate in some foreign land where building interiors are just plain different. Whoever programmed the automated drones to work right in typical US houses and office buildings or whatever isn't going to have programmed them to work right in those theaters. But people talk on the internet a lot (this is one of the main reasons why in 3rd world countries everybody has a phone even if he doesn't have a whole lot else). So you can help deduce what the drone should expect to encounter and how to make sense of it based on mass-analysis of the communications from that area, or from any area as what counts as "typical" interior settings changes over time.

Let me be a little more concrete to help you think this through. First you start with computer vision (think google image search, google image captchas etc.) Drone sees something that is identified as an independent object. What is it?
>It's a mug
Hmmm. What's interesting about a mug
>mugs sit on tables
>mugs are stored in cabinets
>mugs hold coffee
Oh wait a minute, tables?
>tables are in the living room
>tables are in the kitchen
>tables are big enough to hide under
>people take cover under tables
Ohhhhh

So if you spot a mug, maybe is it sitting on a table, and is the person under that table? Maybe we should take a closer look.

>next tool
>not current tool

>When did you realize that video games might become the next tool for big brother?
Don't forget that you were warned.

Image related. The most important screencap.

Playing Harvest Moon on the snes classic is converting me to traditionalism.

early 90's

I realized that when I pieced together the primal instinct of play for humans.

Nothing is sacred.

>manipulate users into bettering their lives
How uncharacteristically nice of them

Might?
MIGHT?
Boy it's already here. What the hell do you think Discord does? Lets you post memes to your friends and give you more emojis?
That shit runs in the Google cloud and gets scanned by AI all day and all night.

Gamergate, funnily enough. In fact, GG is probably why a lot of us are here to begin with.

>If they really know so much about us why does mass effect andromeda exist?

a simple google search would explain that they had 5 and a half years to make the game and spent 3+ trying to make a procedural generated space game (no mans sky idea before no mans sky) then had to crutch with less than half the time people and budget.

Got it, thank you.

Yeah, and I imagine how many other uses something like this could have, especially if "legoed" with other surveillance tech.

Finish the sentence.
It's just so they hve more money to spend on their games.

Yup. One of my other favorite absolute dead giveaways was how one of the earlier huge widespread applications for sentiment analysis was to take all the different political blogs or discussion sites and be able to detect the political leanings of the participants, even really simple stuff like whether they approved or disapproved of a particular policy, which obviously would be of basic interest to any polling or political strategy group.

But oh gee wow. Are they really going to come bust down your door one day having incorrect opinions?

The whole phase of planning for the "zombie invasion" was fun, too.
>wow, so you want to know who is on "your side" so you know who is and isn't a "zombie?"
>wow
>yeah, those zombies man,
>damn zombies
>fuckin zombie stole my bike the other day
kek
and everybody just laughs about the latest pop culture reference in the meeting or presentation or whatever

Nice...

I remember one meeting where one of the project managers came to visit (like the kind of a guy if you go to darpa.mil you'll see his picture and bio) and he's just so autistic he couldn't help himself and eventually pretty much said outright they need to know when HAPPENING happens which US citizens are going to start shooting back.

And all this started from a discussion of how to like send aid if there's an earthquake in some obscure country and only 24 hours to start the emergency response and then move on to the logistics of a full-scale disaster-relief operation. Hey, who can argue with that? It is, after all, an honorable, desirable, and legitimate use of military assets.

Speak for yourself, nufag.

When did you realize that Sup Forums might become the next tool for conspiracy faggots from all over the mental hospital?

>mid 50s to 70s
>"rock and roll is the devil's work!"
>mid 90s to 2010s
>"video games are the devil's work!"

Boomers, please die already.

I'm not sure if I understand you.
Are you saying that when the (US) government develops new technology for benign uses, it's safe to assume that it's actually intended for secondary purposes that they don't want the population to know about?

It's a lego block. You can use it for anything you want.

You really think they're going to spend the money for a lego block that can be used only one way instead of 100 different possible ways? Maybe 5 ways look really good on paper and they can brag about to the public. Maybe 5 ways are horrible and it doesn't make sense to spook the public with them. Maybe there are actually 200 ways to use it, but let's hope nobody else thinks of them.

Yeah, I can only imagine.