Korea or Japan?

Decided that im gonna study languages and im very interested in korean and japanese.
Where should i start from? Should i go to korea first amd learn korean, or should i go to japan ? Probably gonna go both but from where do i start?
I know for many of you niggers study languages is a waste of time but i have already taken my decision.
>learn some usefull language you faggot
Nah im not interested in other countries

Thanks faggots

Don't call me a faggot, faggot.

Go to Japan first.

Start with ching chong followed by a bing bong and just go from there.

Korean is easier, but Japanese is the better language and won't die in 50 years

Japanese is pretty useful of you plan to do international business. Companies will snatch up a fluent linguist even if you lack other qualifications. On the job training is easy to provide, linguistic skills aren't.

Nip has been ruined by weebs.

I’d genuinely be embarrassed to know it.

And Koreans would probably somehow take offense to learning Korean. They take offense to everything.

Learn Mandarin.

Koran. Learn Koran. It’s going to be a must in Europe 10 years from now.

Japan, Koreans eat dogs.

Arabic. It’s going to be the dominant language in Europe soon

>wanting to learn gook subhuman garglespeak
neither

>willfully exposing yourself to the Chinese

OP stay away from this

haha i see what you did there.

How is this even a question? Koreans should be slaves to superior Nihonese.

As a gateway into East Asian culture, Japanese is better because they actually use the Chinese characters in their language. For lazy people though that’s a reason not to.

The only real answer to this question can be found by asking yourself why you’re interested in either. What is actually your interest OP?

Once you learn one, you can learn the other eaiser since the grammar is mostly the same. But I would go to both countries before you learn either. Both take 2-3 years minimum to be decent and by then you might decide you dislike the people or culture.

you should kill yourself

Learn English first you dumb spic. Im moving to Japan this year and I know they dont like illiterate spics like you.

Japanese, they are a pure people.

I'll break it down for you: Korean is much easier to read and write than Japanese. However, Japanese is much easier to speak than Korean. A lot of the grammar and vocabulary is similar. Living in Korea is a lot cheaper, but Japan is a cleaner, and safer in regards to automobile accidents (the Japanese drive very well while Koreans drive very poorly). Koreans are a bit more laid back when it comes to politeness, and understand when foreigners commit a faux pas, but that's a double-edged sword because it also means Koreans are more rude. A lot of that rudeness comes from a "me first" attitude: you'll have people cutting in line, cutting you off in traffic, pushing their way through crowds, blocking foot traffic, blocking doorways (even though it's bad luck to stand in a doorway in Korea), and jamming into elevators instead of letting the people in out first. On the other hand, I find Japanese politeness to be entire fake. You've heard of two-faced? Yeah, Japanese people are twenty-faced. So it's Korean honest rudeness versus Japanese fake politeness there. Korean food is superior to Japanese food (and less expensive, too). A Korea meal will come with tons of free side dishes whereas Japan usually charges you for every side dish. Japan is more cramped than Korea. And if you're worried about nukes, know that North Korea will nuke Japan before it ever nukes South Korea, not that North Korea will ever do anything but threaten people.

Ultimately, you choose what you want knowing that you can cheaply and easily go to Korea from Japan and Japan from Korea.

You kill yourself you meme faggot son of a bitch.

Mad because i speak english better than you even if it is not my mother tongue you mutt?
Japanese dont like wesbs pieces if shit like you, they dont like amerifatts in general.
Stay in your shithole faggot.

This, 100%. Very accurate. I actually think Korean is harder personally due to the pronunciation difficulties, whereas speaking Japanese isn’t too bad.

Grammatically speaking, Japanese and Korean are on the same level of difficulty. Regarding the alphabet, Korean Hangul is easier because there's only set of characters and they learn a set list of Hanja (Chinese characters), but they're mainly used to differentiate between words that are spelled the same, but have different meanings. For example, if you're reading an article in Korean and see a word which you can't readily identify from the context of the sentence, they'll print the Hanja next to it in parenthesis so that you'll know what they're referring to. Japanese has three alphabets, katakana for foreign loan words, hiragana for native Japanese words, and Kanji, the Chinese characters. So, Korean is easier regarding the alphabet.

When it comes to listening comprehension, Japanese is far easier to understand.

So, since they're about the same grammatically and share a large vocabulary based off of Chinese (for example, 'promise' in Japanese is yakosoku and in Korean, it's yaksok), I'd start with Japanese first and then once you're comfortable enough with it, move on to Korean.

Also, unless you're learning these languages for your own personal fulfillment, there is literally no point in learning either Japanese or Korean. The market is BEYOND flooded with translators, there are no jobs.

Don't learn Mandarin, either. It's fucking worthless because you'll only ever really need it in mainland China. I mean, if you have any intention of finding a job and working in China, go for it, but otherwise, it's worthless.

t. former interpreter who lived in Japan, Korea, and Taiwan for varying lengths of time

korea is full of cucks
japan is 1500% better

I have spent a year in australia and fell in love with the people of these countiers (i was already interested before in these 2 countries).
Trying to figure out what the fuck i should do jn my life and decided that if i have to study anything i should do something i like, and i like these 2 countiers so why not try to learn their languages.

Problem is that i dont know which one i should go. I want to go both and i will, but from which one should i start? Its a big choice.

Thanks user for the quick rundown.

I decided to learn these 2 languages after spending a year in brisbane and love the people.

Lived in Japan, had a good bunch of Korean friends and went to Seoul for a bit.
This is all accurate.

Japanese ist besser
Anime ist bestes

>얼음과자
kekeke

This is a pretty good reply, too, especially the job part. Ten years ago, you could have made a name for yourself as a European who could speak Korean. You probably still could by doing Youtube videos or something, but even that seems like a competitive market (whenever I go to Youtube and I'm not signed in, it seems like ten more westerners have popped up with new Korea blogs where they try Korean food or whatever, plus all the stuff like that on TV nowadays).

Korean is infinitely easier to learn.

Korpan

Korean alphabet is easier to learn. Japanese still use pictograms. Both languages follow the same subject-object-verb syntax (we home go. boss lunch eat). A lot of honorifics and titles.

Im trying to find a path in life and i thought that maybe learning these 2 languages could help me fullfill that void. And me loving these 2 countries would make everything easier.

I really dont want to go abroad and study something i dont really like (businness management and shit like that) even if being abroad like in australia where i have already been and loved would make it incredibly easier.
I just want to leave tge shithole of a country im in. I have the chance now and i want to take it.

You could always try to learn a little of both on a free app or website or something, and see which one interests you the most and suits you the best.

Hell, you could learn to read Korean on your own in a couple of hours.

They piggyback off each other. If you know 1 it becomes a bit easier to pick up the other. For a westerner, i recommend korean 1st because there's just hangul to learn, hanja(kanji) totally optional

Cats are the more delectable species

>Hell, you could learn to read Korean on your own in a couple of hours.

Its still me OP on a different IP.

I know that korean is easier to read and the alphabet is much simpler.
Now im kinda discouraged because you guys told me that job-wise its not very good looking.

Maybe i shold just go to australia and study management even if i dont like it. Just to go out from this shithole. Get a good degree that maybe its worth something. Studying in Australia would not be bad. I would even enjoy it even if i would not be studying what i really want to study.
But what if i regret it because i didnt do what i really wanted to do?
Life's shit.

As a korean born American naturalized now stationed in japan, this is 100 percent correct

Why Japanese and Korean, rather than learning to speak Australian then?

No, Japanese don't eat dogs.
Chinese and Korean eat dogs.

> speak Australian then

what?

>Now im kinda discouraged because you guys told me that job-wise its not very good looking.
What kind of job were you looking to get in Korea/Japan?

>Also, unless you're learning these languages for your own personal fulfillment, there is literally no point in learning either Japanese or Korean. The market is BEYOND flooded with translators, there are no jobs.

This guy is full of shit. The federal government is crying out for fully bilinguals for intelligence and other work. Plus korean is useful also in the corporate world. Yeah freelance translating is hard to get into if your only qualification is a bog standard TOPIK6 or N1/HSK6 for Japanese/Chinese respectively but if you specialize in medical transcription or other fields like scientific translation you can drown in work almost.

tl;dr there is good work if you’re really good and if you specialize. Don’t sit on your TOPIK/JPLT score, always work to get more, work to get 90% in the exams you take, do professional translation exams and ace them not just proficiency tests for foreigners. Do proficiency tests for locals too.

Also, Japanese and Koreans suck at English so good [Asian language] —> English translators aren’t as common as you might think.

Cunt

I remember being in Korea in the early 2000s. It's like a different fucking planet now. Back then, professional Starcraft was exploding all over the place and we were all listening to SG Wannabe and going to 'booking clubs' and just drinking our faces off and being complete degenerates. You couldn't get away with that shit if you're an interpreter/translator now because you can be replaced which wasn't the case back in the old days.

Japan was always terrible. Exporting anime was the worst thing that fucking country has ever done. The only non-awful interpreters/translators were either hold-overs from the bubble economy who just stayed because they were valuable and thought the money would only become better and the guys who were working in the legal field translating all that legally binding paperwork. The rest were full-blown autistic weebs (back before we had that word to describe them)

Also, all the fellow white people I met (not just the weebs in Japan) who teach/work/interpret/translate in Asian countries just seem ... off. There's something so fucking off about them and to this day, all these years later, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

It's as if they all suffer from sort of personality disorder, like they don't even know who the fuck they are.

Good luck, Luigi. Don't try too hard to fit in because Japanese and Koreans secretly hate that shit despite what they tell you to your face.

>Don't try too hard to fit in because Japanese and Koreans secretly hate that shit despite what they tell you to your face.

Those that do only do so because of how competitive they are about beating other people.

The smartest thing to do is exactly what Koreans would do in the same situation, which is to fit in when it benefits you and play the dumb foreigner when it doesn’t.

>Also, Japanese and Koreans suck at English so good [Asian language] —> English translators aren’t as common as you might think.
Very true, but bad ones are a diamond dozen, and have made the field way more competitive by flooding it.

Luigi, if you are really interested in korean and japanese culture, I'm happy for you, but if you're one of those future sexpats like I imagine Sup Forums users taking interest in asian countries are, commit sudoku now.

>chicken chicken chicken
>>???

i suppose asians are pretty retarded

>This guy is full of shit. The federal government is crying out for fully bilinguals for intelligence and other work. Plus korean is useful also in the corporate world. Yeah freelance translating is hard to get into if your only qualification is a bog standard TOPIK6 or N1/HSK6 for Japanese/Chinese respectively but if you specialize in medical transcription or other fields like scientific translation you can drown in work almost.

I'll just take your word for it. When I was in this line of work, we were the prized piglets and I was mainly used as an interpreter, not a translator. I knew the legal field was Heaven on earth for a translator, I didn't know the medical field was hurting for translators.

Again, I'm just going by what you say, I don't care enough to look it up to confirm or deny it.

Nailed it.
Watch out for folks from Jeolla province though.

>I remember being in Korea in the early 2000s. It's like a different fucking planet now.
Completely. Did you know that Koreans have started going to Itaewon? Like, normal Korean people go there to just hang out. They're no longer afraid they'll get murdered in the bathroom of a Burger King in Itaewon.

>The smartest thing to do is exactly what Koreans would do in the same situation, which is to fit in when it benefits you and play the dumb foreigner when it doesn’t.
This is probably the best advice you could give to anyone planning to be a foreigner in Korea.

Both literally 100% useless unless youre an animefag, or if you live in hawaii it can help you get employed

>Italian
Wow. 1000x even more useless to you than I first meant.

>being this illiterate

neither.

fuck off nigger.

if you must, study chinese and convince them not to nuke all of us. only ny and ca

>Also, all the fellow white people I met (not just the weebs in Japan) who teach/work/interpret/translate in Asian countries just seem ... off. There's something so fucking off about them and to this day, all these years later, I just can't quite put my finger on it.

lol you can't put your finger on it? Really?
They're all fat/super skinny/super awkward people who have no confidence and can't make it in their own country, so they come here because it makes them feel special, and they mistake all the "wow your Japanese is so good :)" fawning as actually liking and being interested in them as people.

OP is a fag with too much money and leisure time, also not political.

sage

Japanese. Korea will turn into a hell hole once reunification happens, and it will eventually.

Actually though the instability involved puts Korea on the map for the government, journalists etc.

>It's as if they all suffer from sort of personality disorder, like they don't even know who the fuck they are.

Dude it’s just stress. Asians themselves are kind of like this too, haven’t you noticed? The only difference is that Westerners aren’t as used to it.

Korean food is a hundred times more shit than Japanese food.

Also, Korean side dishes are jokes.

Its just fermented vegetables.

Koreans literally invent reasons to have to wash more containers/dishes

Korean is easier, but personally I think Japanese sounds better. You should learn Latin first.
t. Japanese-Korean

Tell us your age and what's your major.

Did you already graduate from college?

For example, Japanese grad school is much better than South Korea's.

Also, Japan's recent Noble Prize winning streak were from professors and their grad students in Japanese masters/phd programs.

Finger right on it

Chinese since they will be our new overlords one day.

You provide too little information about yourself, your major, interests, etc for anybody to make any good suggestions for you/

For example, if you like cars and your hobby is cars, obviously you should learn Japanese so you get a better chance to work at Japanese companies like Toyota.

>know that North Korea will nuke Japan before it ever nukes South Korea
Kim shut up
Seoul will die the moment Pyongyang wants to

I dont know. anything that would keep me there? Something where my language skills could help me.
you got me there m8

No ivan, im not a sexpats and not palnning to become one of those degenerates.

Why are you such a fucking approval-seeking bitch

With this attitude they’re going to eat you up and spit you out

Korean has a great alphabet and is easy to read and write.

Japanese has a nice flow and is easy to speak and listen to.

I lived in Korea for three years and could barely order from a menu. Then I took a couple of months to travel in Japan and learned how to hold a half decent conversation. That said, I had to since I was illiterate and had to ask what things were so it forced me to learn how to speak properly.

As for which country to visit go to Korea. Cheap beer, great food and it's way more relaxed. And, most importantly of all, there are no degenerate weeaboos and autistic otaku natives that make your skin crawl.

Korea
>relaxed
>no weebs
>no local otakus

Literally everything you said is wrong

ok mutt

Choosing a path in life is not important.

Faggot.

Also this is political.

I got a degree from college but i hate it.

I was thinking about enrolling to a uni abroad. Learning lanuages as i said.

Problem is that i dont fucking know what the fuck i want to do.
With my interest in Japan and Korea i told myself ''why dont you learn their languages? It may be your path and keep you busy doing what you love.''

MinHo i just answered to him. He took the time to answer me, thought it would be respectfull to answer back. Whats your problem?
Would it better if i went there just to try to fuck some chicks?

>With this attitude they’re going to eat you up and spit you out
thats what they said when i went to live alone abroad and it turned out totally the opposite.

>are a diamond dozen

Yeah, metaphors in particular are difficult for them to grasp.

>autistic otaku natives that make your skin crawl.

There are plenty of Koreans who are obsessed with animu and vidya and smell weird, we called them "pae-in" back in the day.

You obviously never met any of them.

Oh thanks. This gives me a little bit more of faith.
If im planning to through this path im gonna put 100%. Thanks for the tips.

I guess I miss spoke - there are no geeks in the nice areas.

Korean mouth breathers have the decency to (mostly) stay inside and only pop out on a brief walk to their local 711 or PC Bang so you don't encounter them si much. Add in the fact that I spent most of my time either in Hongdae or Gangnam (sod Itaewon and all the 김치년 and kebab vendors) and you've got an admittedly skewed opinion.

But you compare somewhere like Shinjuku or Shibuya and it's a completely different world - MLP weirdos with fanny packs, every advert has a cartoon character instead of a human, dudes with spiky red hair and plastic swords walking through the "peaceful" gardens...

I guess it depends on where you end up. Seoul and Busan are awesome but it's pretty poor outside of the cities. Tokyo, Osaka and all of the main cities are full of nerds but the mountain cities are breathtaking. Still, for a young man looking for a drink and a cock sheath Korea is just so much better. Like the cooler younger brother that fingers girls in his room while next door Japan watches bukkake.

You should be aware that becoming fully bilingual in either Japanese or Korean is probably around 5-10 years of work

Is it tho?
Not trying to say you're lying but i have met a pajeet from banglaseh here in rome working in a korean restaurant.
He can speak fluent japane and koreans. I was with korean friends eating there and they said his korean was fucking good.
The pajeet said he had been in korea for 5 years, just working i suppose without going to a proper university.

Thoughts?

Japan, easy choice. Korea, despite their best efforts, has no culture or history worth mentioning.

>Japan are masculine

Japanese guys are queers. Not literally, but I never met a Japanese man who I didn't think was gay the first time I met them. Koreans are bro-tier and much easier to get along with. Then again, this was years and years ago, and with all this "mi-nam" bullshit going on, I wouldn't surprised if Korean men are just as effeminate as Japanese men now.

But that's not even why he shouldn't choose Japan, Korea is way cheaper and you can get almost anything done in English, like your bank account or phone account, in Japan, all of that paperwork was entirely in Japanese.

Again, I'm not sure how it is these days, but based on my own experience, I'd choose Korea over Japan any day.

If we just talk about the language, then Korean is more interesting.
Japanese is just a dumbed down version of Mandarin, while Korean is more logical consistent and follows simple rules.
I would even recommend that you learn Mandarin before you learn Japanese.

Korea is just a sterile machine nation that is devoid of any culture. Their purpose in life is to make smartphones and get big microphone heads to play videogames for our entertainment.

They're also ugly as fuck. You're probably thinking "wow, that's ironic coming from a brit" but at least we have a few diamonds in the rough. It's like the entire population of Korea realised that they were ugly fisheads and made plastic surgery a tradition because they are desperate to impress their white overlords.

The Japs were right, the gooks are a meme.

>Japanese is just a dumbed down version of Mandarin

Japanese and Mandarin are not related to each other at all. They're entirely different language families.

>while Korean is more logical consistent and follows simple rules.

No, it doesn't and the grammar is more or less similar to Japanese.

>I would even recommend that you learn Mandarin before you learn Japanese.

It wouldn't help anything.

>Thoughts?

It's entirely possible. It's definitely going to take a few years, no doubt about that. However, the caveat with Korean and Japanese is that they're only spoken in Korea and Japan. You not only have to learn the language, but the culture behind the language. In other words, you could say something that's 100% grammatically correct, but culturally, it sounds awkward because a native Korean or Japanese would never say something like that in that particular situation. It's hard to explain, but I think you know what I mean.

If you want to become understood, you can definitely accomplish that, if you want to be fluent, you can definitely accomplish that, but if you want to mistaken for someone who was born and raised in either of those countries, you're going to have to be very mindful of the "cultural" aspects and behaviors of the people around you and how they speak.

Again, difficult to explain, but once you start learning and visit those countries and gain some experience, you'll know what I mean.

This thread is full of ridiculous generalizations and stereotypes.

I mean some generalizations about Asians are true but some of the posts in this thread are ridiculous. “Yo why do white people be such faggot pedo raciss muddafuggas who be eatin mayo an white bread and sheet” or “herro me supelior Azn with so high interrigence why dumb American rove gun so much hoho America so inferior barbarian nation who use naifu and forku instead of civirized choppustikku”-tier.

>Koreans
>Ugly

Mate I swear on me nan I will hook you in the gabber

I perfectly understand what you're trying to say.

Thanks for you insight.

I have many koreans and japanese friends and i agree with you.