Is Vicious absurd and silly on purpose

>named Vicious
>carries a murderous looking black bird on his shoulder
>uses a sword
>dresses in all black and has white hair
He's incredibly edgy and ridiculous. Was this intentional?

No, they designed the character completely by accident.

He was actually supposed be very meek and soft-spoken. But certain things got lost in translation during production.

20-odd years ago that was pretty badass.
20-odd years ago The Crow was also a thing.

I'm sorry you can't take anything seriously.

>Saying "And you shall shed tears of scarlet" as he beheads and old nigga
i dont care who you are thats sum gud shit

>Uses a sword
Not just any sword user, a katana, the fedora of edged weapons.

I always figured that the mob life just drove him completely insane. Started carrying a sword because he went overboard with the Asian roots of the Syndicate, thought peace would be backing out of his mob pledges, etc.

They really should have said somewhere that his actual name was Vic or something though.

>The Crow
so much lost potential, fo course probably better this way, he would have too much pressure to fill in big shoes.

It was the 90s OP. Nobody cared.

>20-odd years ago that was pretty badass.
It was a simpler time when people wouldn't consider everything edgy, I miss it.

Fuck you OP.

I take it you either weren't alive in the 90's or just weren't old enough to remember it. Sup Forums didn't exist back then so no one was shitposting hilarious coldsteel memes every time someone did something evil. Back then we just called them bad guys.
I take it you're not familiar with Outlaw Star either. I know a lot of people remember Harry Macdougal, now there was a hell of a character. But if it came out today you'd be hearing nothing but edgyedgyedgyedgyedgyedgy everytime he showed up.
He sliced his head through his eyes. You can't knock a guy for being called "Vicious" when he lives up to the name.

in a war flashback he's still portrayed as being cold and silent though, maybe the mob drove him past the brink of sanity but his core personality didn't change

I always laugh at the concept of age in a lot of anime especially this one. Much as i love CB, Spike, Vicious and Jet should be a lot older considering the shit they've done prior to the series and over all how they act.

I thought for sure Jet was in his fifties, what with being retired from the police force in which he was a detective and all. He's fucking 35.

Spike and vicious were high ranking mob Enforcers in their early 20's or younger since by the time of Bebop , Spike is only 28.

Retired would mean he ceased working entirely. He just quit the job because his girl disappeared on him and he didn't want to stick around Ganymede. Him being in his fifties whilst being a bounty hunter and doing the shit he does would be more unbelievable.

I think so. He's part of that gangster culture and a lot of that is making yourself look "hard" and tough. For Japanese that kind of thing looks tough.

At least no one was surprised when Viscous ended up being a psychopath

seriously who names a kid KNIVES and expects good things

Knives Millions

>he..RAPED ME

NANI?!?!

>how to spot a millenial

The bird on his shoulder is a cormorant, a bird that in olden days symbolized nobility and sacrifice. John Milton in his Paradise Lost satirized the concept by making cormorant a disguise Satan uses while spying Adam and Eve.

He's the personification of Spike's past.

Given that Spike was a mobster, it makes sense that Vicious looks as edgy and death-like as he does.

>He was actually supposed be very meek and soft-spoken. But certain things got lost in translation during production.
>"This is a soft-spoken character, so we need a soft-spoken VA; somebody call Norio Wakamoto"
Where/when exactly would or could that mistake possibly have been made

>I always laugh at the concept of age in a lot of anime
This is a 16 year-old boy.

I've read the entire cast is supposed to have been inspired by Lupin III, so Vicious looks a lot like Goemon, only more cruel.
You could say he is almost demonic in his nature.

Now that you mention it I can't really unsee it.

He was supposed to learn to fight his true nature

Like edward scissorhands

Huh, Vicious always looked like a more edgy Harlock to me.