Just finished pic related and I wanna learn a bit more about the great war

Just finished pic related and I wanna learn a bit more about the great war.

What are some good documentaries on it? Any mustsee or mustread books that are redpilled at all?

Also, what other books are worth reading by Jünger? The man was a true heroic warrior. All hail Ernst Jünger!

Other urls found in this thread:

dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/
youtube.com/watch?v=xO8uhme0o3Y
youtube.com/watch?v=bxK-qR14pVg&index=1&list=PLdEBPyoq11-7H07u7iwGM_3l-_QfxFj9B
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Read 'The Deluge' by Adam Tooze.

Read siege

Thanks fellas. Documentaries are cool, too. And movies of course, though preferably not anti-german ones.

The Sleepwalkers by Christopher Clark is pretty good.
It's about the prelude to the war though, not the war itself.

Dan Calin’s Hardcore History series on WWI was unforgettable

dancarlin.com/product/hardcore-history-50-blueprint-for-armageddon-i/

Here's a real comfy one user:

youtube.com/watch?v=xO8uhme0o3Y

btw in regards to WW1 there's no real red pills I think anyway. There were no clear cut good guys or bad guys. It was in my opinion a bunch of imperial monarchs fighting over nationalist pride. 1914, what a disaster. The collective suicide of the West

Yes.
Buy it and the Ostfront (WWII) series as well when you're there.

Some years ago I listened to a very good lecture series on WWI by TTC or so.

This, Dan Carlin is the best

Will remember this.

Watching this now. Thanks.

youtube.com/watch?v=bxK-qR14pVg&index=1&list=PLdEBPyoq11-7H07u7iwGM_3l-_QfxFj9B

Which translation of which edition did you read? Unfortunately I bought the 2003 English Hoffman translation, which from a historical and military aspect contains many errors as Hoffman doesn't know much about the German military, leading him to mistranslated a few things. He also translated a later version of the book that is notably less violent and political.

Jünger rewrote the book several times. IMO, the earlier editions are the best because it captures the emotions of the whole country, being recently defeated and humiliated at Versailles. It's important to see it through that lens so you can get an understanding of what it felt like to live in Weimar Germany and why the NSDAP liked the book so much.

Junger didn't like the Nazis though, and openly spoke against them.

When Trumpets Fade. An ignored piece of WWII history.

Yes, that's why he rewrote storm and steel in 1933/34. He purposefully changed the message of the book to be a more Hemingway style anti war novel, as opposed to the original patriotic and nationalistic message. He didn't like that the Nazi's liked his book so he changed it to spite them. What I'm saying is, from a perspective of historical significance, his original version is much more important since it was one of the pieces that inspired nazi ideology.

Just read generals die in bed.
Wasn’t redpilled at all but, if you put on your normie glasses it’s an enjoyable quick read

>Beasts, Men and Gods
Same time period but not really about the war. More about a Polish professor on the run from communists all through Russia and Mongolia
here's a fun little excerpt

Oh, ok, gotcha. I have a version of his book, but I'm not sure if it is an early one or not. What is a good translation for his early work? I have the Michael Hoffman translation

I also have the Hoffman one. In his intro, he disparaged the Creighton translation although that translation is of a different edition. Creighton translated the 1924 version, which retains the original nationalist message. Good luck finding a copy though. I have yet to find one. I've seen some side by side pictures of pages from each translation though and it's surprising to see how different the message is- especially regarding the author's opinions of the French.

In second thought I guess it was sort of redpilled in the sense that the narrator didn’t demonize the Germans. He made it a talking point that they were all just pigs to the slaughter regardless of allegiance

The Hoffman translation was from jünger's 1961 edition, which is notably more pacifist.

Evola had high praise for Junger in "Metaphysics of War". I think Junger wrote another book that highlighted the necessity of war in maturation

I read a Norwegian version. It must have used one of the revised versions as a template, because I didn't get that much of a patriotic vibe from the book. I know Jünger has written about war being a transcendent experience that ultimately made him a better man or something? The book felt like a fairly apolitical, but enjoyable and certainly well written war novel based on Jüngers own experiences. I dont know how violent the original version(s) were, but it had some striking scenes and generally didnt shy away from at least mentioning the horrors of war. The most memorable scene was the one during the spring offensive (I think) where most of Jüngers company were blown to bits before his eyes and he watched scorched, blackened remains of men crawling around, screaming and moaning. "An infernal dreamscape". He nearly lost it when that happened. Running off to hide in a crater nearby, before gathering himself and running back but breaking down once more when he saw the carnage, and fall to his knees crying. Then he and his remaining undamaged men ran around the trenches for hours salvaging and saving what they could. Brutal stuff. I guess an orignal version would be hard to get these days.

The brutality and reality, no sugar coating, makes this book one of the best I've read.