This is literally tumblr:the manga

This is literally tumblr:the manga.

Real talk, is this good?

I like it. The manga's surreal visual metaphors are pretty to look at and it features characters and perspectives that I otherwise wouldn't encounter. I think this manga is most of all meant to educate a Japanese audience rather than a western one.

How did something like that got green lighted, though? I wonder how much it selling.

The author is a woman, but the first chapter felt definitely on point.

I don't think the subject is that uncommon in manga

It's a nice alternative to the millions of boring clishe BL. The characters all feel like real people and are quite sympathetic except one but that doesn't ruin the story. Sometimes it feels like a "diversity" is put where it doesn't belong and forced, overall it's really nice and somehow relaxing reading.

Ok, I'll take the bait.

What is this about?

>How did something like that got green lighted, though? I wonder how much it selling.
If something like Yuureitou and Wander Son got published, I don't see why this one shouldn't.

Manga in general offer amuch more diverse choices than Animu.

Hibana is a seinen magazine (the same magazine that runs Dorohedoro), so the target audience is presumably more mature, and would find the content of this story interesting.

So it has both lesbians and gays?

Shimanami Tasogare

It's become one of my favorites. Shame only one volume comes out every year.

"Tumblr" as a trend is defined by shoving diversity into things that otherwise don't make a point of it.

This is actually a story about gays, so it ain't Tumblr. The big question you gotta ask is whether or not something would still work if the cast were heteronormalized.

Homosexuality and Trans people. Serious tone and without the common anime/manga tropes.

It wouldn't still work when half of the characters' struggles is about coming out and accepting yourself which is fine

how is that inherently tumblr
is OP being a faggot?

I think OP is using the age old tactic of opening a thread with bait and hoping it evolves into genuine discussion.

Problem is that personally, even though I really like this manga, there's absolutely nothing to talk about.

Yes, he is.

>This is actually a story about gays, so it ain't Tumblr. The big question you gotta ask is whether or not something would still work if the cast were heteronormalized.
Given that heteros experience a significant different high schools from gays, no I wouldn't.

The manga in one page.

>series about gays and trannies
>but what if it was straight
I don't understand what you're saying.

Yep OP is indeed a faggot.

There's only 2 vols right now and it's a quick read. I think the MC is cute but the lesbian couple is probably everyone's favorite.

I just want them to make up and be cool with each other again. They had a nice friendship going.

I really like the adult MtF trans dude. He's still a reliable older brother type but when they did the reveal on him, I thought to myself, "Oh, that makes a lot of sense."

There's this subtle feminine streak to him that really makes me believe that the guy grew up female.

>adult MtF trans dude

Are you talking about Dareka-san? I feel like I must've missed the reveal.

The black-haired dude who works with the lesbians.

>goes back to reread
>discovers 2 new chapters came out a few days ago

Thanks user for indirectly making my day better

The lesbian story really hit home, especially the part about her parents.

Overaal chapter 1-5 were the strongest, 6-10 felt like the author was trying too hard.

11-12 are good again, but I hope the MC moves on from the dude.

What's the deal with Anonymous

Is MC's crush gay or fish-sexual

Same, that guy is a piece of shit, I felt really sorry for the MC.

I bet he's in the closet and is knowingly baiting MC into becoming yet another fish for his collection.

Tasu-kun will get a good bf right? This series is about people finding acceptance and happiness so it has to happen at the end ;_;

Honestly given how realistic the manga has been about it would make more sense if the dude was just a cunt and straight and the MC moved on.

I'm thinking closet homo

Tsubaki did nothing wrong.

I hope so, that boy that likes to crossdress would be nice for him btw.

>Tsubaki did nothing wrong.
He is just a homophobic.

He's too young, and MC strikes me as a men MAN.

He looks so hateable on this page but like, I really can't find myself blaming him. Him and his father are both put off by these people but neither of them actually seem hateful and come off as genuinely apologetic when they realize they're saying something rude.

It's a really understandable ignorance. I was like that when I was his age, and I know it's wrong but I know exactly how it feels when you sit down and realize how inappropriate you were and how you hurt someone's feelings.

I know, but even so kek. That is good then?

What did he mean by this?

Hopefully you did better than Mr. "Hey this ramen is dope. You what sucks? Fags."

Maybe he's a bully trying to get MC to admit his gayness so he can pick on him

Maybe he's gay and digs MC but doesn't realize it yet

Or most likely, he's one of those straight guys who acts gay with his bros and doesn't realize he's being a massive tease to cocksluts everywhere

>Hopefully you did better than Mr. "Hey this ramen is dope. You what sucks? Fags."
Eh, it's that's the worse you can think of, you had it easy.

I think the manga definitely address something people don't consider, how homosexuality is essentially invisible to people because they default everyone to straight, so they feel like they are talking about people on another planet. It does come a bit too preachy for westerns in some cases, but I'd imagine the average nips is less knowledgeable about this thing.

I do wonder how much the mangaka knows, given she's a woman. Unless she's lesbian, then again gay men are often the one more targeted and I can't speak for women.

>Calling him onna
>Going to see boats with the dude

I see this is going exactly the way I don't want it to.

The mangaka is actually agender. It's the same one as Nabari no Ou and Shonen Note. Both series had trans, gay, or non binary characters so it's not surprising.

I felt the MC's pain on that moment too.

>agender.

Can she turn MC straight?

That moment was the worst, dammit.

>toXでアセク on their twitter

X-gender and asexual in nip. There was a table for this manga at last year's Tokyo Pride.

If there's an anime adaptation, I can see Kenji Nakamura style working well with this

Random-chan was the hero of that chapter

>knows only gay people work there
>saw girl calling him homo bastard
>that smug face

He fucking knows.

Nah, this is gayer.

I like the paneling and art a fair bit. Some of the words are LGBT 101 though and are boring for that reason.

What does "toX" come from? I only recently learned the word 性自認 existed thanks to 放サモ.

Apparently the "toX" is like MtF or in Kamatani's case FtX where X is x-gender (the nip ver of agender).

>tumblrina shows their reading comprehension skill
They were clearly saying that the point is that it wouldn't work if you made the characters straight and hence isn't tumblrcore. Instead of immediately getting up in arms at even the slightest hint of something you might find an opportunity to start shit over, take a second to read what people write.

Don't kid yourself, lack of basic reading comprehension and starting shit over the smallest thing is an internet staple.

And my favorite pastime.

Oh that makes sense. I thought the "to" was an abbreviation of a Japanese word.

He's gotten too many scenes outside of interacting with Tasuku to just be the temporary straight asshole crush. My bet is he's extremely closeted judging by how contemplative and withdrawn he is at home around his homophobic father. His shitty moments could be a defense mechanism from what he hears at home. He's got his goldfish obsession which was the visual metaphor for the clowder in vol 2 as well.

The realistic route would be by the time he comes out Tasuku's feelings will have cooled down and they'll just become homo friends.

Do you think the manga will end with Tasuku having no romantic partner?

Hopefully he does since loving someone and being loved is his greatest desire

tumblr is basically a codeword for "faggot shit"

Damn, finally new chapters.

MtF means male to female. I think you mean FtM

When the volume 3 tankobon is released, I'm definitely rereading these chapters when the first scanlator group does their pass.

>Curled toes

Might be me being retarded but I find the earlier chapters were confusing, and just found out I stopped at chapter 5. Well, shit. Might as well reread this.

>closet homo vs crossdresser festival fight
These fags.

I might read if if faggot-kun didn't have such shit taste in men.

Put in the poopoo.

Oh shit it's Kamatani? I knew it.

Fuck I can't read this. It's too cringy. I keep reading a couple of panels then I just can't move on. It just looks like generic self-insert wish fulfilment to me.

The artwork looks nice enough but I already have enough sad shit to read and it seems obvious that MC isn't going to get a happy ending here.

Nabari no Ou and Shounen Note ended that way, but they were also more ambiguous in their homoeroticism.

Whose fucking wish is it to get shit on for being gay? I can't tell which part of the manga you're saying you've read.

>Sup Forums is this full of fujoshi
Man, what the fuck? Should I read homo romance too?

IP-27
No. You don't need thankfully.

I want Tsubaki to fuck me in his UFO.

Kek

I think it's more of a hopeful and optimistic series even if MC is obviously not going to get a fairytale ending.

It's not really a fujoshi story. Fujoshi stories generally have straight or ambiguous guys in intensely pandering situations without any payoff, or flanderized and retarded depictions of what fujos want gay men to be. Shimanami isn't anything like that.
There are real people who are gay, user, they can exist in stories too.

You must be fishing for (you) but vanilla or melodrama school romance are becoming a little too boring and predictable, I'm branching out to homo stories,no yaoi shit for me though.

So it's good then? I'm genuinely curious if a Jap woman can write a good homo story.
>inb4 Tale of Genji

>Implying these tumblrtards aren't a minority on Sup Forums

Worth my time? Yes. Worth yours? Beats me. I dont read much of these homo stories though, it might have been full of homo tropes already.

It's pretty.
If you hate real life faggotry it isn't for you.

It's not that interesting but there's a cute girl (male).

You people sound like actual tumblrtards tbqh
I'm bi-curious myself, so I guess I'll pick it

I'm not sure why you think I sound like a tumblrtard. I said what I did because it's not an idealized picture of homoshit and transshit, so if you don't want to read about people whose lives are affected by being gay and etc, this isn't the story for you. It's very far removed from any yaoi.

>bi-curious
Look at this fag.I read it for the unusual characters/setting first though, dropping it anytime is easy.

I kill gays for fun

>itt i'm a special snowflake faggot

This panel is comedy gold. The rest is boring tripe though.

The author. Good job on posting EVA though. Another self-insert wish fulfilment harem story.
>get shit on
Are you actually this fucking delusional? did you write this by any chance?

I'd argue that Hourou Musuko also is pretty tumblr.

>without tropes
Daily reminder that this shit is full of tropes. It's boring and predictable. I predict Anonymous is also a guy. Wee what do I win?

If only this manga was actually good. It's not. It's so boring and clichéd.

The author is self-professed not to have any interest in romance for herself personally. She's definitely not self-inserting.
And, yes, Tasuku's whole "struggle" is that he's not comfortable with being gay because it's not socially acceptable to most.

>homo friends

This reminds me, has anyone read Smells like Green Spirit? It's pretty cool, but I'm not sure how many chapters are translated. It's also a reaction image goldmine.