Is your profession at risk of automation? As far as I can tell...

Is your profession at risk of automation? As far as I can tell, it seems as if business people are in the clear for the most part. As an engineer, I feel like the risk is there for me. How far will automation go in the next few decades? Will this spark a debate or need for a universal income (as stupid as that sounds)?

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/technology-42251535
youtu.be/gWmRkYsLzB4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Shameless self bump

I will (soon) be a engineer and since i'm german i'll probably be the one automating your job

If in some way way this does end up happening I will look back at this moment and smile maybe. But in seriousness, what can people do to avoid the risk of it? Besides being the best of the best, does this mean there needs to be a shift in what is defined as a "stable job"?

Seeing my employer try to automate circuit testing and troubleshooting gives me confidence I'm safe for life as long as Pajeet is writing the script.

Some branches of engineering might start to see automation in the next hundred years. More likely we are going the job description change as engineers move away from more repetitive tasks. We are a long way away from automated design though. Fast food workers are fucked though. Ill be amazed if fast food places have any employees in 10 years.

I’m a lawyer. We will survive because we write the laws and will ban any attempts to automate our industry.

I invest in the stock market and own a couple storage warehouses that I lease. Group investing is the future. Stores are dying and shipping products is taking over, therefore storage warehouses will replace actual stores. Get with the program or be replaced by a robot.

You have to imagine though, why would you be of use if a machine can ultimately make you obsolete by cost?

As unrepetetive tasks go, this might be the saving grace from automation I think

Good luck with businessmen trying to cut corners

So do you mean Costco warehouses?

You'll be automating your own job as well

Everything will be automated. Everything. Only ownership will survive, but it's not a job.

Dont worry, you will be outsourced long before you will be automated
Yes!

I run my own business and am basically a delivery man. Make just under 200k AUD a year and have it pretty comfy. Furthermore i am a delivery man for consumables that will easily be replaced with the next step of tech. Its already heading that way. Good thing for me is I deal with the elderly and they like customer service.

I have resigned to the fact that my job is on the way out. I just have to milk it and then hopefully have enough to retire. I cant even imagine how the world will look. But i am looking forward to the change

Well, thanks for highlighting the dangers of being an engineer in the most dickish way possible.

See this is what I was thinking, what of the people who get the short end of the stick? Would something like a universal income become implemented? I doubt politicians would make it that easy for us but if it was would the world need to shift in change for automation?

I went past a McD the other day, everyone was odering from touch screens, I dont eat fast food but the lack of real humans serving is weird.

The more things automate the less jobs around for people the less people we need altogether.
Why do you need immigrants if your work is machine led.

Is Germany even a player in AI?

To be honest, engineering is pretty safe.
Seriously, do not worry that much.

You have to differentiate between automisation and AI. To my knowledge, automisation is big in germany while AI is the dream of teenage skript kiddies.

"Profession" is a longshot. Most occupations easily replaced by automation has bare-minimum-requirements that you could just about train a fucking monkey to do. Seriously. I got a job recently, well was forced into a job, and yesterday a nigerian came in for his first day of work in Canada. Been in Canada 4 months(lol gov't gibs), and he's already capable of completing the job. He may be slow beyond reason (fucking christ painfully slow), but he theoretically can be trained. He doesn't even like it in Canada because it's "too stressful" and the culture-shock, probably why he's so slow.

Regardless, would fucking love for most of these bottom-tier jobs to be automated. They are bottom-of-the-barrel jobs that the government forces employers to pay people toomuch for doing. They have almost no actual requirements and are generally just physically and mentally painful to do in the first place. Increase automation, increase taxes on these huge corporations and franchises, then start UBI so the cycle feeds itself. It's what's going to happen anyways, so they might as well start laying the path now instead of panicking when it abruptly stops infront of them. Read: Oh no unemployment is suddenly spiking and people are going deep into poverty... what do we do!?

That's why (((they))) want mass-immigration sooner rather than later. They can't use the GDP boogieman for immigrants filling "job-growth" or falling birthrates as an excuse if they aren't relevant anymore.

It can't though, that's my point. At best they can nigger rig something that is a poor facsimile of what a trained person can do in my position.

Why would anything happen to them?

People would live off unemployment benefits, and because most people were on unemployment benefits whichever politician promises to increase them to a liveable standard is a shoe-in.

>You were born too late to explore the world
>You were born too early to live in a fully automated UBI utopia

truly worst timeline

>You have to differentiate between automisation
80's tech

>and AI
Sorry Hans: bbc.com/news/technology-42251535

More than likely. I hope I am dead before full automation takes place here at walmart as this is the best and only game in town.

>You were born just in time to witness shitskins displacing your people and beginning to enjoy the fruits of a fully automated UBI utopia

Maybe in the beginning, but I can definitely see automation taking over anything that can be gathered by any sorts of electronical input or data gathering, anything that could be troubleshot due to past collected data and not what is needed to be thought of on the fly. youtu.be/gWmRkYsLzB4

Maybe i did not explain my point enough.

Chess is about pattren recognition, if you feed the program moves and tell it "this move is good, this one is bad, save the informations", at some point the programm will be able to use the "best" move.

What it is not capable of is teaching itself how to play blackjack based on it's ability to play chess.

I know this example is a bit far off, but a human can deal with new situations, something a "AI" cannot.

We are extremely far away from real artificial thinking, and linking some >bbc article wont change that.

If automation gets to a point where there are a lot of unemployed people, there are a few options:
The good: the unemployed work in the entertainment industry for the people that know how to build robots and technology. A meritocracy about technology
The bad: improve it to the point where no one works and create a UBI. Human progress might stop because of this
The ugly: keep the machines but remove the automation. Add mandatory controls to machines so humans can get a job using them.

And to be honest, i did not read the article further as to
>this has yet to be peer reviewed

You need to move

not to forget the looming energy crisis, coming oil shortages and general economic fuckery.

I work in healthcare and we're already seeing some of our administrative work (data analysis, financial analysis, registrant duties, etc) getting taken over by A.I.

I think the only thing safeharboring certain jobs is societal reluctance to machines. Especially in a healthcare setting, people want to talk to a human.