I finally watched the first season of code geass

i finally watched the first season of code geass
all in all i'm very mixed about it and i'm kind of shocked this series is as popular as it was. i've heard season 2 is not good though, is there a debate on this?

A thread died for this.

Well tell me user is it worth watching? Does It gets more interesting? I couldnt get pass the first episode, so far i dont get all the hype.

well seeing as i'm ten years late to the hype, i feel a bit disconnected from how others speak about it. i think that a lot of the ideas the show has is neat but some of the ways they introduce story beats and characters is a bit sloppy and not as well fleshed out as they could have been. also it gets kinda ass pully in the last third which kind of bothered me.
i've seen a LOT of people shit on suzaku, the rival character, as well as shirley but i can't really understand why.
the girls in the show are actually astoundingly cute and leleouch is enjoyable to watch despite some of his actions being so stereotypically anime that they shoot the moon past lame and come around back as incredible.

Quality of writing is worse, but It's has more happenings and plot twists, absolutely worth watching. First two or three episodes are weakest though. Don't get discouraged

Suzaku gets more likeable after the Euphy accident IMO. And Shirley is great, nothing wrong with her.

>Quality of writing
This worries me, since the writing in the first season was not really that strong to begin with in the first season. That chick getting amnesia after getting shot by shirley was so confusing and lame, even if she was absolutely sweet and i loved seeing her cook. she couldn't have been geassed? or at least seen like, getting her head hit or something??

do people just hate him because of his staunch obsession with morals and obsession with becoming the emblem of the ideal japanese man in brittanian society? i'm guessing that kind of goes out the window in r2.

You seriously care about details like this? Well If it makes it any better she probably hit her head on a rock or something.
Watching R2 is your decision user, just gonna say no matter how stupid it might get, last 4 episodes make up for it all. But the whole season is entertaining as fuck watch.

He pretty much dumps being japanese and goes full britannia masterrace. Eh I can't really explain without spoilering you but the "muh change the system from the inside" is just a cover up for his true intentions.

kind of, yeah. it really breaks my immersion when i'm watching a show and something so fantastical happens and i can't really logically make sense of it within the context of the shows universe. i know it's annoying, but i get so distracted by my annoyance for tiny things like that.
you seem so confident about those last four episodes. i'm really curious so i'm probably gonna watch it, but i wonder how satisfying those four episodes will be.

after finishing the first season i can't help but feel sorry for lelouch's sisters. they really don't deserve all of this.

>his true intentions
that sounds ominous. i guess he's not as much of a goody goody as he acts
also, thank you for being considerate

>That chick getting amnesia after getting shot by shirley was so confusing and lame
As pointed out if you are going to be bothered by stuff like that maybe the series is not for you,
If you haven't noticed Geass isn't trying to be realistic, sophisticated or intellectual. Watch it as an absurd soap opera. It doesn't have to make sense.
It's very good at being what it is. If what it is is not what you want it to be don't complain on the internet about it.

that's the thing though, many people praise it as being an intellectual series and are amazed by the main characters prowess in strategy, so i just came in with those expectations. you might feel this way, but most of the people i've met who like this show take it dead seriously.

I don't know what this guy is talking about. Those are his true intentions.
If you've watched the first half of the series you should already know all of his dark secrets.

R2 is much more exciting and fun to watch.

>many people praise it as being an intellectual series and are amazed by the main characters prowess in strategy
Really? I haven't met any such people here.
As for normalfags would probably buy the "Lelouch is so clever lol" thing because they are gullible, not because they care about watching intellectual stuff.
I don't think that many people would actually claim that it's intellectual.
But assuming that they would, what is it to you? How does the opinion of other people reflect on the quality of the show?

>most of the people I've met who like this show take it dead seriously
I take it dead seriously. In an absurd soap opera sort of way. Not in a this-is so-sophisticated-and-intellectual sort of way.

I guess it's really confusing when you had the wrong expectations for a show and you ended up not liking it but don't feel like you are obligated to like it if you don't want to and take out your frustrations on innocent people.

s2 is even better. it starts slow and lame, but turns good again after 3 or 4 episodes

it doesn't. i just came in with those expectations since that's what people told me.
it's not that i don't like it, i just think it's silly and confusing and i'm shocked that it was so popular. i'm not really trying to "take out my frustrations", i'm just looking to see why others like it as much as they do. i'm sorry if it seemed like if it was coming off as an attack or something.

code geass is my personal favorite anime of all time so I guess it's pretty good

it's really fucking bad.
>woahh dude chess is so hard to understand if the MC knows it he must be so fucking smart
dont watch any more of it. its nostalgia dogshit

>i'm sorry if it seemed like if it was coming off as an attack or something.
Nah. I'm not talking about you in particular. It's just a general phenomenon - the way people look for someone to validate their vaguely defined and poorly understood opinion in order to feel justified for feeling in a particular way.

If you don't like it that's ok.
If you like it that's ok.

As for being popular I can't imagine why you'd find it hard to understand what makes it so.
What qualities do you think a popular show must possess?

>being this much of a newfag

It's a literal rollercoaster, both really good and really bad at times. In my opinion it had a 10/10 ending though, to the point that I think making a new season was a mistake.

Code Geass is a masterpiece.

I enjoyed the second season way more than the first one. First one is only liked on Sup Forums because they are into shitty SoL.

You're watching the show with the entirely wrong mindset, you probably will fail to get it completely.
Code Geass was ITS HAPPENING, the anime. The reason people call it one of the greats is because if you turn off your brain and just watch the trainwreck unfold, its the most glorious pile of bullshit you'll ever witness.

>mixed about it and i'm kind of shocked this series is as popular as it was. i've heard season 2 is not

Code Geass is cringy trash and equaly as bad as sword art online.I dont know people seriusly think code geass is a masterpiece then in the reality is utter garbage and nothing more than fap material, fucking pizza product placements, retarded characters like cc, suzaku, this pink haired cunt, this black chick, """tactics"""(basicly the same stupid shit with these overpowerd mecha's over and over again), these fucking retarded plot devices with wheelchair girl and this space station, lelouch's character is equaly as bad as kirito's character from sao, lelouch is shown there as a hero in reality he was the worst one but he is so cool and edgy so it's okay anyway.Like these to sides where so stupid.Brittania was full of retards and boring characters and lelouch's terror group was also full with boring characters and this green haired bitch with big ass and this red haired bitch with big tits and of course lelouch.Death Note or Legend of the galatic heroes is far better than this garbage that stole the ideas from.Also fuck season 3 i bet my dick R3 will be even worse than R2.

no s2 is actually better

wasn't ep 21 the biggest shit storm in anime history?

because of more fanservice and bullshit?

why do people hate bad writing that much ?currently watching gundam 0079 and i can tell the show has a lot of stupid/writing/moments yet a lot of people consider it to be good/masterpiece ! thing is people enjoy nostalgic anime , why can't you except this ?

You know how much of a shit tier character CC is when on top of being nothing but a meme and a device, they simply dumped the amnesia card out of nowhere for a lenghty period of time, resolved it the same way it came while nothing of value was gained from it.

>tactics
The funny part being that some people actually call it that way unironically.

It's sort of funny that the people ITT calling Code Geass stupid type like gradeschoolers.

>i've heard season 2 is not good though
The good part of the series is the last bit of season 2. It has a perfect ending (which is now ruined because of season 3).
Most of the rest of the series is either somewhat above average or just filler trash.

it was only popular cause moot liked it and le epic may may shit. death note was always better

>many people praise it as being an intellectual series and are amazed by the main characters prowess in strategy
That can't possibly true. You got the wrong idea. Or maybe you just discussed it with retards, either irl or on Sup Forums.
Sure there is bit of surface level meta about masks and personas in the later parts of S2 but that's pretty much it.
The only prowess in Code Geass is the script writing. The guys knew what they were doing, and they did it well.

If you can't enjoy the meme that is Code Geass, then Sup Forums is probably not for you.

Nah that was Nunnally's ''KILL ALL JAPANESE''

Yeah, Code Geass was like the best thing ever, when i was a teen, and had just started watching anime. I watched both seasons in 1 day and it was my favorite anime for a long time. But now im a little bit older and wiser. I have watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes and UC Gundam, and now i understand that Code geass is just a really homosexual remake of those shows.

>implying they weren't a homosexual anime !

also lelouch is way more entertaining than char and reinhard

Dude, this is not how you bait. You should have at least used that fake, gay mecha anime chart from /m/ to make your bait seem more legit.

It really breaks my immersion when people don't capitalize. It makes it impossible for me not to consider them a moron.

Same.

>not liking code geass

Patrician taste

Sup Forums will be a hell for you while the S3 airs. You deserve it

Judging from his post, that user seems to be an expert on bad writing.

It's one of those "so bad that it's actually good" shows.

If you can't appreciate that you probably don't have a sense of humour.

I watched Code Geass when I was 14 and enjoyed it.

At age 18, I realize it is garbage.

s1 is the greatest comedy of all time

but you still love it right ?

this, idk what else could they make out of it besides milking more money from the series. Oh well, if it turns good we can appreciate it but if it doesn't, we laugh at it and forget it even existed

He's right, literally everyone on the internet believe Lelouch is the smartest anime character of all time and Code Geass is a masterpiece

Haha, if you didn't like R1 because of that, you'll HATE R2. It's fun but it never makes sense. I liked it t b h, I hate people who look for plot holes as if they're smart

You're shocked?
When I watched it, I was on one of the greatest rides I've ever been on.
It must be sad to be unable to like good things.

>i've heard season 2 is not good though,
It's the opposite, season 2 is way better in plot, characters, themes and entertainment; the only ones who say the opposite are either contrarian fags who want to appear smart by hating anything popular, or simply not smart enough to get the plot.

>that's the thing though, many people praise it as being an intellectual series.
It is, and it's precisely in R2 that this shows the most (one of the many reason why R2 is better).

>literally

Anybody that watch all season 1 and is not sure if he wants to continue should just stop (or rewatch)
Because if the cliffhanger doesn't make you immedialy open the next episode you either didn't actually watch the show or it's really not for you.

I hope you're not one of these "anime watchers" that end up at the last episode without even remembering the name of Suzaku or who was Marianne or Sayoko... and then saying the show was "confusing" and badly written.

This.
It's dumb but it's damn entertaining

>It's dumb
Well, 99% of animes are dumb. It's made for the entertainment of "young" people.
>inb4 my favorite is not dumb!

>R2
>intellectual
user, I love this series, but don't sell it as if both seasons were anything more than some brainless fun.

I remember when I watched Season 1 that I wasn't sure I wanted to watch Season 2 because Suzaku winning and achieving his goal and path to peace by foiling Lelouche's schemes and avenging Euphemia was a fitting end. Lelouche's slow but inexorable descent into villainy and the tragic consummation of his curse at the moment of his potential redemption forcing him over an irredeemable line was a sensible ending for his story, and Suzaku casting off his naivety and becoming the hero despite the agony of losing his love and his friend in the same moment of pure betrayal was a great denouement of the plot as a whole.

I eventually watched S2 just because there were too many loose ends so I had to accept S1's ending as a cliffhanger rather than a finale. S2 kind of went off the deep end and abandoned a lot of the things that made S1 great though, so it almost wasn't worth it.

lol, it's funny.
Do you think you are smart because you write stuff like that ? Especially when what you wrote is so wrong ?

>Suzaku winning and achieving his goal and path to peace
Winning what ? What peace ? A nice job when the rest of your people is dying in the guettos or used like slaves ?

> forcing him over an irredeemable line was a sensible
the irredeemable line of wanting to get japan its independence back and liberate its people from slavery ?
Yes what he did to Euphie was very bad (moraly speaking) but the end goal is still good (and the geass thing was a accident not his true intention).

>Suzaku casting off his naivety and becoming the hero
the hero ? Becoming the ruthless pawn of the Evil Emperor made him the hero ?
Taking over Europe for Britannia was Heroic too ?

Just CC makes CG worth to watch.

Anybody wants to help me translate the new Picture drama ?

Do you not remember the show at all? Suzaku's dream was to become a Knight Of The Round and change the Brittanian Empire from the highest eschalons of power. That was how he wanted to achieve peace and save the 11s from slavery. That's what we saw happen at the end of Season 1. If the show had ended there we could have inferred that Suzaku was right all along and Lelouche was the villain. Only R2's events changed that.

Lelouche didn't give a shit about Japan or its people, he was using the people who wanted to liberate the country and win national independence for his own ends, such as revenge. The ultimate good behind his motives never comes into play in Season 1, everything we see and hear tells us Lelouche is just out for revenge even though he's conflicted by the harm he's causing.

Euphie was the one who cared about Japan, which is why she got the thing Lelouche was supposedly fighting for with no bloodshed. It was a shitty fake version, but it was a start, which is why Lelouche backed off from his plan to murder her in cold blood to prevent it. He may not have had control of what happened, but he went in planning to do worse and only stopped at the last moment... which is why what happened is tragic, but fitting for his character's story.

Maybe rewatch the fucking show before you talk shit.

Why do all the newfags have to tell Sup Forums every fucking time they finish a series and need input? Either watch it or don't. No one cares, but don't make a garbage thread like this every time you fucking faggot

R2 is fucking retarded and generally shit.

You have to give it at least the benefit of the doubt because just an episode or two won't cut it. I watched late too and about 1/3 of the way in I actually enjoyed what was going on. The shit is just ridiculous.

I never watched season 2 and don't plan to. I know how it ends and that's enough. I can't accept how forced it feels. he staff clearly felt pressured to keep up the whacky shenanigans. It was too self aware.

S2 was basically 'You've Got To Be Fucking Kidding Me: The Series'. It was ridiculous and retarded and hilarious and if you let yourself get caught up in it, it was the most wonderful thing ever. It's hard to believe that it was originally going to be a much darker and more serious show, if the rumours are to be believed, it was honestly beautiful as it was.

>which is why Lelouche backed off from his plan to murder her in cold blood to prevent it
He wasn't going to kill her, he was going to mind control her into shooting him in front of everyone, triggering nationwide riots against Britannia.

Ironically he got the same result (hence why CC thought he had turned Euphie into a genocidal maniac on purpose), just not the way he had planned. But hey, results are results.

>Suzaku's dream was to become a Knight Of The Round and change the Brittanian Empire from the highest eschalons of power. That was how he wanted to achieve peace and save the 11s from slavery
1) Being the knght of One is a (stupid) dream and is not that easy.... And it would have been impossible without the whole Zero thing in the first place.
2)Being the Knight of One doesn't insure Japan "freedom" forever... as soon as he's not the Knight of One anymore it's over.
3)Elevens could be sort of free but it doesn't make all the other Numbers free.

>Lelouche didn't give a shit about Japan or its people,
Yes he did (a bit at first and a lot later) and so what ? As long as people are free and happy in the end who cares about the true motive of Lelouch.
Zero's goal is to defeat Britannia and liberate the numbers, that is what matters to the people who are suffering

> It was a shitty fake version, but it was a start
In reality It was a trap made/allowed by Schneizel... Probably would have been stopped as soon as Zero or the Bks had been caught.
You would know if you had watched the show seriously.

>Lelouche backed off from his plan to murder her in cold blood to prevent it.
lol, that was not his plan at all.
His plan was to make her shoot him and use that as a way to make the japanese people distrust her and not go in the SAZ.

wtf did you watch ? You cleartly didn't understand anything about Lelouch or the show.

Are you implying season 2 was forced? The story was never meant to end at the cliffhanger with Suzaku and Lelouch shooting at each other. The series was supposed to have 50 episodes since the very beginning. Was going to be one season at first, but the number of episodes was cut down by the studio.

But you can't fucking choose where the story ends. The major events of R2 were planned from the very beginning and Lelouch was never supposed to end up being a villain.

Not forced but definitely elongated for the sake of having a second season.

Maybe I was just burnt out from having marathoned season 1. Seeing everything undone at the start of R2 bummed me out.

It's shit and the second season is shit too. The people who hail it as the second coming of Christ are retards who were underageb& when it aired and came here straight out of /gaia/.

Not forced but definitely elongated for the sake of having a second season.
You are a idiot.
Lelouch didn't even interacted with his father (you know, his main enemy) at the end of the first season.
Yes season 2 could have been done in a lot of different ways.. but Code Geass was NEVER intended to be just one season.

>/gaia/.

But the LOGH is choke full of bad and stupid stuff too. Like one of the main characters maneuvering his fleet right before an enemy one, showing it the vulnerable sides. But instead of blasting the faggot and his fleet to pieces and ending the stupid plot before it could start, enemies don't do anything because "it might be a part of the enemy's nefarious plans, better be safe, guys!"

>In reality It was a trap made/allowed by Schneizel
Lelouch would have considered the obvious possibility of it being a trap before accepting it.

>The story was never meant to end at the cliffhanger with Suzaku and Lelouch shooting at each other
Where does this claim come from?

> but Code Geass was NEVER intended to be just one season.
Okay, so? They could wank out 12 seasons if they wanted just because of the nature of the show, but that doesn't mean it's in any way warranted or good.

>Lelouch would have considered the obvious possibility of it being a trap before accepting it.
He didn't know Schneizel was involved in this. And he didn't want to go in SAZ in the first place but Euphie convince him with her feelings... His decision to accept her offer, is not exactly rational.

the director and writer ? It's not a secret.

OK so what?
All I'm saying is that the show what not "elongated" because of the success of the first season. it was a 50 episodes show from the beginning.

Not the guy you're talking to but Code Geass is plain garbage. Nothing in LOGH comes even close to being as retarded.

>implying it wasn't gaiafags who shat up Sup Forums with their faggotry when Code Geass aired

>All I'm saying is that the show what not "elongated" because of the success of the first season. it was a 50 episodes show from the beginning.

If anything, the story was rushed, if the rumours are to be believed, since they had to dedicate the first few eps of S2 to reintroducing the characters/concepts, plus the fact that some of the storylines needed to be reworked due to executive meddling (the Geass cult was supposed to be more important, Suzaku's 'Live' geass was meant to be more of a thing, etc.)

read this.. it's not the best answer (didn't search enough) but it gives you a idea that the show was never supposed to end at the first season

>Also, Taniguchi was seriously considering leaving the anime industry as a form of apology to the fans when it turned out that production was way behind schedule and they had to use up two slots for recaps. Season 1 was supposed to have ended with episode 23, but fortunately there was enough fan support for the Sunrise execs to greenlight episodes 24+25. The episode 25 ending is the ending Taniguchi planned to show from the very beginning; according to him, he once thought of using it as the opening scene of Stage 1 (which would have made the whole of season 1 one huge flashback; I think that’s actually pretty cool)

>Taniguchi planned the season 1 ending with the firm belief that he could jump right back into the story 6 months later and tell the story to the same audience, so when he was informed of the new timeslot, Taniguchi was completely crushed. He was asked to write a short message to his fans for the special screening pamphlet back then, and apparently all he wanted to write was a letter of apology, which wasn’t allowed. Neither was he allowed to explain the situation to the fans, which is understandable from a Sunrise exec point of view, but not quite fair towards Taniguchi, IMO. When his colleague

>the director and writer ? It's not a secret.
I'm asking for the scource, which interview?

>In case the sequel wasn't greenlighted (they already received the OK for it back in December last year, at least), they had an alternative route prepared for the story to take, one which would have ended the story in episode 23. It would have been a non-conclusive ending though; according to Taniguchi it was more of a "psychological" ending for Lelouch (think EVA ending)

Is the only scource I found talking about an alternative R1 ending.

Name a thing in Code Geass as retarded or worse than an admiral who doesn't want to move his fleet to the space fortress that could blast his fleet in an instant because there is a CHANCE that it has fallen to the enemy already, but does EXACTLY THAT when it becomes CERTAIN that it has fallen to the enemy.

Spoiler: he dies.

You just posted the answer to your own question.
>, one which would have ended the story in episode 23. It would have been a non-conclusive ending
So: ending at the first season would have been a "non-conclusive ending" because we had more to tell (in the next season).

also thisAnd sorry, I don't keep 10yo interviews of japanse directors on my pc..

>that the show was never supposed to end at the first season
>the episode 25 ending is the ending Taniguchi planned to show from the very beginning

>In case the sequel wasn't greenlighted (they already received the OK for it back in December last year, at least), they had an alternative route prepared for the story to take,
Yes, they had an alternative route in case R2 wasn't greenlit.

The entirety of military history is filled with bad decisions. Cherry picking an individual bad call in LOGH (which I don't even recall because it's been years since I've watched the show) does not change that setting and storytelling is overall pretty consistent and well executed.
Code Geass is a crappy soap opera that shouldn't even be compared to an actually good show like LOGH. It is one of the most badly written pieces of garbage I've ever watched.

>the episode 25 ending is the ending Taniguchi planned to show from the very beginning
Yes he planned a cool ending for the first season.
Read the rest seriously...
>Taniguchi planned the season 1 ending with the firm belief that he could jump right back into the story 6 months later.
He had to break the show in 2 seasons. You can't just make a straight 50 episodes show like this.

>Yes, they had an alternative route in case R2 wasn't greenlit.
yes a ""non-conclusive ending" because they wanted to make 50 episodes from the start.

Don't post this shit again

>yes a ""non-conclusive ending" because they wanted to make 50 episodes from the start.
You're right, I somehow thought said R1 instead of story.

>Was going to be one season at first, but the number of episodes was cut down by the studio.
Any scource for this?

>You can't just make a straight 50 episodes show like this.

Actually thinking about it, 50-ep shows aren't really a thing these days, are they. Not without the series being split in two or being a tie-in a la Digimon.

First thing the admiral does is a bad but understandable decision, the second is him destroying his own little characterisation for the sake of an epic win for the Federation guys. And it's not like it's the only stupid thing that happens in the show.

>i've seen a LOT of people shit on suzaku, the rival character, as well as shirley but i can't really understand why.

For Suzaku literally because he's against Lelouch and that's it. For Shirley? Shipperfags. If you consider the fact that a lot of people who praise this series were teenagers back when it first aired it makes sense why its so well-regarded.