Can Stoicism...

Can Stoicism, and a revival of Greco-Roman ideals and philosophies be what the West needs to save itself from stagnation?

Or would Nu-males ruin it?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Diogenes_Laërtius
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Plutarch
amazon.com/Climbing-Parnassus-Apologia-Greek-Latin/dp/1933859504
paideia.org/
amazon.com/Great-Tradition-Classic-Readings-Educated/dp/193519156X
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when shitposting on Sup Forums seems, I turn to Greco-Roman shit. currently reading
>Diogenes Laërtius: Lives of the Eminent Philosophers
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Diogenes_Laërtius
>Plutarch: Parallel Lives
en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Plutarch

that alone is a shit ton of reading. good luck. this thread looks like its gonna die though

*seems hopeless

>Or would Nu-males ruin it?
by it's nature nu-males can't ruin it, which is why they go nowhere near it - it's not feez>realz

I'd imagine they'd bastardize it as "be nice to others".

Yes, we have to get back to our roots. The Romans knew how to do civilization. So you have to learn what the Romans did and believed if you want civilization. Stoicism is an important part of that.

Bump

Brb becoming a stoic Chad to save the nu-males from improper living.

I've been getting into this lately. Read Republic, Meditations and the Enchiridion so far. Great stuff

You might have a point. The importance of the Greeks and the Romans should not be underestimated in forming our world. The problem now is that we have completely cast it aside.

amazon.com/Climbing-Parnassus-Apologia-Greek-Latin/dp/1933859504
look at books like this about how our education system has been formed by them, under the word humanism as used by the Romans and paideia by the Greeks.

Read Epictetus' Discourses next, then Cicero and Seneca. Cicero is hella under rated as a stoic. His entire ethics is stoicism that's less extreme and removed from the metaphysics.

I think the important thing is that people understand the word "paideia", that is the key.

How the hell did a philosophy that started by emulating a hobo who lived in a tub (cynicism) end up being the philosophy of the Roman aristocrats (stoicism)?

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, was a bit of a tough read, but very well worth the time. Here was a stoic Roman Emperor that worked very hard to square with his role in life and maintain order in a functional society. This book helped me develop as a leader in the my professional life, actually.

I'm going to dump my fashwave collection of Greco-Roman statues.

Western society desperately needs a 'Renaissance' where we look back to our roots for inspiration. The actual Renaissance learned from the Classical era, so hopefully this new 'Renaissance' will draw upon the Victorian era

>mfw we get comfy imperialism aesthetics

Yes the West needs European ideas instead of Jewish lies

Plato's Republic man. That guy knew what was up.

Greco-Roman ideals got us into this faggot mess

Bump to save the west
The meditations by Marcus Aurelius is the true red pill

Christianity is a repackaging of Hellenistic ideas wrapped around a Jewish story. Know where Jesus got his morality? From Hillel. And Hillell got it from Hellenistic philosophers. Then when Greeks and Romans joined the religion, it became further Romanized.

You can see Hellenistic philosophy as going back to the roots, and removing any uneeded distractions from the thought.

How?

You need true illumination, both well informed and also pertinent.

Whats stopping you?

I think it's cool but realistically it will never catch on, as a revival of Classical ideals is even LARPier than the Deus Vult fags. Seriously stop for a second and imagine how you sound to a normie when you quote an ancient Greek or Roman. The anti-Western, anti-White, anti-male rot is too deep for you to get any response other than "you talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded".

It's a good foundation for the already red-pilled but not a cure for the hopelessly pozzed.

I like this one a lot: The Winged Victory of Samothrace.

Helped make me a much calmer and more agreeable person, it makes it much easier to hide my power level

Oh no theres dicks in greek art
That must mean every idea they ever came up with is a fallacy
>pol logic

Exactly
Lets bring classical philosophy to the forefront of pol

>inb4 some (((shills))) call Greco-Romans non-whites and shitskins

um sweetie youre looking at the creators of western society. when my ancestors were sipping wine from ornate vases on the acropolis your ancestors were eating raw caribou

People cite Hillel or Jesus, or Muhammad as moral inspirations. Why can't I cite Epictetus, or Aurelius, or Seneca?

Got this for Christmas. It's a great secondary source on the Meditations.

Why the fuck do you guys ignore my post?

you should know that memic mimicry of tumblr style abominations eventually leads to either you becoming more like them, or new people seeing it and believing it is the norm.

y'all no dis niga b STOND as FUK when he write dis sheet maaan chek dem eyes niga he owtaaa heees brane!!

Holy shit paideia is the exact way I wish to rear my children some day. I'm going to do some more research into it and see if there are any good books I could read. Have any suggestions?

Italians aren't white. We're beyond you.

put a bright flashy image with some text on that is too small to read unless you click the thumbnail.
it is what everyone else does to make people read their posts.

>paideia
this deserves closer inspection
thanks sven

look at the nose of the interviewer.
one guess which tribe he is from

I think the fins are doing something like this now.

>paideia
Essentially this sadly

LARPING is dressing up as a first century Roman. You look absurd and out of place. Embracing their ideas, and living like they would had their culture survived, that's fine.

paideia.org/
apparently it is only for niggers though.
why does everything have to be ruined.

holy shit I just looked on Amazon and it was less than $2. Eziest purchase of my life

The book I linked in the first post and this plus some general history of the Greeks. In order to understand their thoughts you must understand their society.

amazon.com/Great-Tradition-Classic-Readings-Educated/dp/193519156X

Yeah it seems like it.

Maybe a bit but I am not sure.

Ignore such garbage.

This is stupid.
This is true.

No, the modern bastardization of Stoicism is to treat it like the next self-help fad, like the Greco-Roman answer to 'The Secret' so you too can learn "how to not give a fuck" instead of a complete philosophy that elevates virtue as the sole good.

crymoar

Mortimer J. Adler has also written books about this subject so it might be a good idea to read some of his works too.

easily the most based of all greek philosophy, but if you're trying to have kids or even just get laid, stoicism probably isn't right for you

How closely related is stoicism to Aristotle's virtue ethics? I'm interested but need to read more.

Most Roman stoics were politicians, aristocrats, or teachers, who had families, so I don't see the issue.

Stoicism is not the best choice, but is perhaps the most practical given that there are so many people joining Stoic groups and reading the texts.

At any rate, yes, the way forward is found within the pages of ancient greek and chinese texts. Hebrew mythology and buddhism must be btfo.

Miles apart, but both are good systems if followed properly and with diligence. Modern man could benefit from both.

Stoicism is very similar to Buddhism. In fact, I consider Buddhism one of religions I wish to replace Islam in central asia.

mamma mia

Soon I will ruin a cute nordcuck girls lineage with my italian seed

uwu

This is some nice fashwave

nigger, you need both Greco-Roman and Orthodoxy, and hurry up because as Greeks we feel the third civilizational wave coming in soon and you need be ready be prepared

Rome was built and fueled by passion, hatred, envy, and lust for power tempered by honest, sober, and often times sad self-reflection.

It is a very interesting and unusual combination of traits.

Thanks. I am a complete noob but just ordered a bunch of books from antiquity, so I hope to be soon better informed.
From the brief summaries I've read I'm interested in Aristotle's middle way, and the link between good and beauty, and how 'goodness' as a virtue can be represented in your art, architecture, mathematics etc.

you need to go back to your aryan roots.

european philosophies aren't that great.

it's harmony, in ancient greek the word for 'good' and 'beauty' is the same (kallos)

as long as we integrate current scientific knowledge, then yes.

Be aware that Stoic are very focused on ethics, the practical side of things. In terms of metaphysics and theology they are clearly descended from Plato and Aristotle.

Makes sense, I'm so sick of this postmodernist crap desu.

Egads no!
The last time this was done it fed into the "enlightenment" which was an unmitigated disaster

Its hard to separate Stoic ethics from their theology or physics though, they're so closely tied together. And one of their unspoken contributions in mainstream discussion is their logic/epistemology. Their logic was literally like 2000 years ahead of its time.

Jews and Christianity killed stoicism.

I group stoic ethics in two camps: telelogical derived, and the rest, which isn't. The telelogical are based on their metaphysics about humans being created by God to be social and rational creatures. The rest are just "this is a good rule to live by to make you happy". They're mostly tips.

Half of what Epictetus taught was just to be a decent person with good social skills.

You're overthinking it. Seneca managed to be a billionaire. Marcus was an Emperor. Being high status gets you laid, not being a degenerate.

>Assuming we wuz Greco Romans
We wuzn't
I forget where I read it, but the epicenter of the West in the modern sense has been described as a 500 mile circle around Paris. There's a reason that this is around Paris and not Rome. Western society is the product of a clash of two different cultures: The Greco-Roman and the Germanic culture that invaded it early in the 1st Millennium AD. You can read about this in Ernst Robert Curtius and Oswald Spengler. Western society is not the direct descendant of Greco-Roman society, but rather the outgrowth of the feudal system and medieval society that developed after the invasion/Voelkerwanderung.

Seneca was a fucking crook. A good theorist, but a hypocrite. Aurelius was by all means a humble, person who was not after fame or wealth, but doing his duty.

You fail to understand how warped your modern views are. These men understood that sex was for making babies and did not ascribe sexuality to nudity and physical training. They had no fear if being homosexual because it wasn't an issue. They were not constantly distracted by a weak craving for meaningless sex that taints every aspect of your life. Unless they were breeding, they were dedicated to bettering themselves.

That video felt like an hour and nothing happens. Saved you all a click.

Didn't Aristotle talk quite a bit about ethics as well as metaphysics and theology though? In particular focusing on developing your character. Become a strong man and good morality will consequently follow. That's why I thought some of it might have fed into stoicism.

Stoicism is for nu-males.

You aim to be a fascist, but you are too preoccupied with sex and worship the female too much to ever be successful.

The Stoics recognized Socrates and the Cynics as their predecessors. They differed with Aristotle in that they were adamant that virtue was the SOLE good. In other words one could achieve eudaimonia though starving and in pain. They recognized that things like beauty, health and wealth were to be naturally preferred over their opposites but were not relevant to virtue (the sole good) and therefore ultimately indifferent. "Preferred indifferents" were to be 'chosen, not desired' to paraphrase Cicero.

The value is that the things that matter are entirely within your control and the things you don't control don't matter. This is simultaneously liberating and incredibly convicting.

This isn't the place for a full treatment of the subject. There are English translations of all of the important source texts in the public domain; Marcus Aurelius, Seneca and Epictetus are the important names. As for modern day stuff try Brad Inwood and Pierre Hadot.

you iz nigger, just reject the germanic influence and stick to the original grecoromanity, you will lose your center in society but find one that is justified for thousands of years and more or less right and upright

that's pancrace (pankration-ancient MMA fighting), not sex you homo
>pro-tip: ancient MMA had finger breaking techniques as a valid fighting rule

No can do. Our emperor is Charlemagne, not Caesar.

You've been ass pounding each other since forever and expect me to believe that
Nice try Papadopoulos

Charlemagne is not my emperor, a counterfeit crown just like the byzantine crown, an almost exact copy he made.

No he's not, he's and was for all intents and purposes a greedy german nigger just like today.

pancrace is what it is you stupid imbecile unenlightened nigger, nothing more to tell you

Many thanks, I'll be sure to read those guys. I know they're easy enough to find online but I get aids reading books on a screen for too long

You can’t really believe this right?

Epictetus still had it buried in there though, just more subtly and less rigidly formatted than Zeno or something. For example, the line about playing a role through your life, and playing it well (in the Enchiridion). Thats pure Stoic determinism there, just slipped into his beautiful ethics.

The only thing which would revive the west is fire and the sword. Betas wouldn't survive.