How to ruin a manga in four chapters or less

How to ruin a manga in four chapters or less

l expected a far more retarded twist, it was ok

I don't even know what's going on anymore

It was fine.

I don't understand how anyone can like this plot twist. The worst thing about it is that it makes the rest of the story look like a joke. It should have been a story about humanity vs titans, not this WW1 shit.

The twist itself wasn't even that bad. The execution was just beyond horrendous. Infodumps, bland new characters nobody gives a shit about, no connection to the established setting... Isayama was a hack all along.

How can you ruin shit?

WW1 with flesh mechs is way more interesting then survival horror with mindless giant zombies.

It was foreshadowed continuously starting at the beginning of the series, so it's not really a twist.
Still the development is kind of retarded and renders a lot of what happened in the story and what humanity on Paradis has done over the years meaningless.

Meaningless equates to despair and despair is suffering and no other words carries despair as much as "meaningless".

I get that it was obvious that there were humans living outside of the walls, but how was it foreshadowed that there would be an advanced civilisation with WW1-level technology? Part of the reason I hated it was that it came out of nowhere. Everyone thought Reiner/Bertolt/Annie came from a village which doesn't imply an advanced civilisation.

Whatever, I just wanna see timeskip Mikasa

I literally have no idea where he's taking this manga. I can't make ANY sense of this "twist". It's like a completely different manga after they reached the basement.

It was obvious it was going to be post-industrial revoluiton simply by the odm. And they even say there are factories, were they made those swords. So WW-1 tech is not far fetch if the outside is 100 years ahead technology which they state.

Well during the whole Reiss arc, there was that tidbit where people who made anything more advanced than what they had, from airships to revolvers and so forth, were silenced, which implied that there was a more modern level of knowledge and skill potential within the walls alone that was being suppressed so that no one could find the truth or get too strong against the nobility in rule.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that if there were more humans out there in the world, they may not of had to deal with such restrictions and thus be leaps and bounds ahead of the fragment we knew.

this desu

What is worst is the deniers. They say things like "OMG HE PLANNED THIS FROM THE BEGINNING", "SUCH DEEPNESS".

Mikasa Yaeger when? You're running out of years to live, Eren.

Eren doesn't realky get boners for anything other than murder.

Isayama intended to let everything crash and burn, he basically scrapped the old ending and started making shit up when the anime came out and was successful.

Maybe you are right and that it was somewhat foreshadowed. It's still fucking retarded and doesn't feel like the same manga anymore. It's too much of a change in setting and theme. Non-shifter titans aren't even relevant anymore and they were the main reason that this series even got popular.

I get the feeling that most of this was intentional but overall it was still a poor decision. The direction the manga went was a mistake.

>It should have been a story about humanity vs titans
So it should have been the most boring shit imaginable and never expand the world beyond the first few chapters. Okay. If they got to the basement and it was revealed there's really nothing else out there but titans, people would have been so immensely disappointed.

Isayama said in an interview that he was going to change the ending he'd originally had to satisfy all of his new fans around the time when season 1 was being released and when Clash was coming to an end in the manga. We can only speculate, but maybe he switched to this ending around that time.

>If they got to the basement and it was revealed there's really nothing else out there but titans, people would have been so immensely disappointed.

Speak for yourself. That would've been hilarious and what this manga deserves.

Nope it was actually quite good. I feared that it's gonna be sci-fi "it's just one big experiment guys".

You know, a manga can just end. It doesn't have to span hundreds of chapters. You are capable of just telling a story and moving on.

These kind of manga always have a genre shift. An entire series that goes on for years dealing with the equivalent of giant zombies would get boring after a while. Where it headed, jumping into WW1 with giants, is the more controversial part.

Is this a new manga from that Attack on Titan's author?
The art looks really similar, I hope he won't fuck the story with retarded twists like the ones in AoT, dropped it when every single things turned out to be titans.

What about a titan civilization outside of the walls? Or perhaps another human settlement that lives in harmony with titans? I mean, having other humans as the main enemy in the series is fine but my biggest gripe was that they cleaned up all the titans in the space of a few panels after they had been consistently been built up as terrifying threats to humanity. They should still play a role in the story.

That's the problem with manga. They always have to drag it out until it becomes something completely alien to what it originally was, like Berserk for example.

Now that you mention it, thank Fuck that's not what happened.

The reveal still should have been done less clumsily though.

Why all the shifters had to be from the same generation? It would have been so much more interesting if infiltration existed on various levels, like the Military Police and Garrison. This could also have provided a more solid foundation on that shitty political arc, along with killing some of the main cast, preserving the feeling of impotence. All right, I can take a pair of asspulls if they are well executed and make shit fabulous, but the side characters are so wasted. Even the main cast. O seriously pity those who says Mikasa is my waifu. Fucking bland piece of shit. /blog

Even most mainstream shonen have it happen. Look at how incomprehensibly retarded Naruto and Bleach got towards their ends. And ongoing manga like Tokyo Ghoul got fucked pretty hard when the creator kept trying to outdo himself on crazier and stupider levels.

Attack on Titan is relatively lucky it managed to sorta work within the context of its world, but it's getting hit by the same problem in that it's almost like a different series now.

It is Attack on Titan. The author went full retard.

That's a page from Attack on Titan.

bait

Stay salty retards Isayama will stay comfy with all the dosh he's getting

>crapsack world where people's idle thoughts are enough to birth evil incarnate
>people regularly despair enough to forsake humanity through murdering their beloved
>demons gather and create the devil, then summon him into the world
>the devil is devilish enough to make people think he's an angel
>the endgame involves merging hell with earth
>the focus is on a man who refuses to give up no matter what and his companions
It gets lighthearted for one arc and you morons think the entire setting has changed forever. There's still plenty of rape demons, rape trolls, rape caves and rape festivals going on. Calm the fuck down and wait for the shit to hit the fan. It's being foreshadowed enough already.

Ever since BRA revealed themselves this was a very prevalent theory.

That is right its called Shingeki no Habanero: Boku wa Aeotan

>It gets lighthearted for one arc
It's been significantly more lighthearted for almost a decade now because of all the hiatuses.

Marley's obviously going to invade Paradis. Eren's going to be grappling with the "cycle of vengeance". Eldia will probably reclaim its status as a sovereign nation. That's the direction.

That's not because of a genre shift, that's because of author burnout.

Why is this shit still monthly his art is terrible he doesn't need a month

Anime onlyfag here.

So what hapenn in the manga?

The entire city is on Madagascar

WWI timeline
We Madagascar Jews now.

erwin is dead, armin is a shifter now after nearly dying, monkey troubles beast titan is eren's half-brother from his father's first marriage, turns out there's an Industrial Revolution-era civilization still active that has excess racism towards one of their two races as an allegory for Nazis towards the Jews, eren's father was a rebel in the not-jews trying to fight back

now it's world war 1 with titans because that civilization wants to kill everyone in the walls to get their resources

The titans are jews

Doesn't seem very dark fantasy to me anymore.

Reminder that snk is just an elaborate shut down everything meme

and to add to this guy the titan that ate Eren's mother was Eren's father's ex-wife.

oy vey

And she still alive?

Nope, the anime will reach that point soon

Berserk has not changed, retard.

Remind me, was that the one he punched while holding hands with Hisu?

this is really glossing over so much shit too, like the fact that all titans are humans, not just shifters, or the entire "krista is historia, bastard child of the reiss family who are really the ones that control and manipulate within the Walls", or the timeskip that happened for the WW1 part to begin

I dropped the manga when they spent 2 months fighting in a cave going nowhere. Can somebody please spoonfeed me what happened after?

Yes it fucking has, when was the last time you read the beginning of the series?

Yee

>shifter powers are obtained by eating a shifter while in titan form
>walls are on an island next to a continent inhabited by an advanced civilization called Marley
>wall people are a special race called Eldians that get turned into titans when injected with titan juice because their ancestor Ymir made a deal with the devil or some shit
>the rest of humanity hate Eldians and want to kill them all
>some Eldians live in Marley and are treated like jews and kept in ghettoes
>those Eldians are bred and taken to the island and turned into titans (that's where all the titans came from)
>Bert, Reiner and Annie all came from the Eldian ghettoes in Marley and were brainwashed into hating their own race and wanting to kill all the wall people
>Eren's dad came from those ghettoes too and wanted to convince the king inside the walls to stop being a cuck and fight back
>ended up eating the "founding titan" held by the royal family which can control titans using the "coordinate" and then made Eren eat him so now Eren has that power

Nah, it's not ruined. The focus on Marley had me stop actively anticipating new chapters though. I'm looking forward to the shift in focus back to Paradis for the final war.

I didn't mind the infodumps or the timeskip and the WWI-time reveal is pretty neat. Soon the manga can revert back to something similar to its origins -- the wall people against the world, with shit odds.

But yeah, because this transition is poorly done, I've been losing interest.

Twist was alright but the storytelling wasn't well executed. Just Isayama being the shit mangaka he is

That may be, but making that immense lane change is difficult to be done not retardedly.

I don't care about any of these new people, what they're doing, why they're doing it, or what they feel while they're doing it.

nah LAME are now the antagonist, expecting based warriors eradicate those filthy people on that island

How do you feel about the idea of Connie dying?

These. They kinda cancel each other out imo.

Not him but what's the twist? Is it that Marley or whatever looks like what op posted?

SO WE TRULY WERE ATTACK ON TITAN ALL ALONG

Is this the effect of the anime?

The twist is Marley as a whole, given that they're basically responsible for the entire plot as we know it; why Titans fucked up the Walls, why the Reiss family was instilled to control the Walls, why Shifters were infiltrating to try to get Eren / The Coordinate, and so forth. Combine this with the WW1 era technology, liberal capability of titanizing anyone they feel like (though Shifters is a more complicated manner given that they have a time limit on their lives and must be devoured to carry on that Shifter power to a new one) and their machinations for everyone we know.

There's also a moment where a character in the flashbacks explicitly namedrops Eren, Mikasa and Armin despite not even knowing who they are.

Dropped

>There's also a moment where a character in the flashbacks explicitly namedrops Eren, Mikasa and Armin despite not even knowing who they are.
Wut

How did I miss that

In the basement is a photograph of Eren's dad and it starts a long flashback showing his early life in Marley - that's Eren's dad in the OP picture. Basically

Owl talking to Grisha before injecting him

Yeah, but not entirely.

LOL!
I dropped AoT the moment they found that sleeping? titan in the wall and that priest went batshit.
I occassionally saw threads opening with talk about some princess and X-Men days of future past faggotry and that suddenly everyone WE WUZ TITANZ N SHIIIIIET.

But this? This IS ANUTAH SHOAH!

Ichigo is a Shinigami/Quincy ruins it for me.

How did we get here from "people stuck in walled city must defend themselves from titans"?

The posts you just quoted pretty much spell out how it happened, why are you even confused?

allegory of the cave basically

Armin's plot armor made it not so enjoyable.

it's easy to miss or gloss over bc it doesn't make sense and you are easily inclined to think it's a translation error. it would make much or sense/sense at all if that was said by the holder of the founding titan/coordinate bc that power allows you to see the invisible connections throughout space and time....

Well the series had always been hinting at something bigger. From "just what is a Shifter and why do they exist," to "what is in Eren's basement that his father wanted him to see so bad?" They'd been dropping hints that the Titans were humans for a very long time and all.

I feel like once Eren became the Coordinate was where everything went off the rails, though. considering the entire arc of nothing but political hell and manipulation combined with humans vs. humans within the Walls. It set up the rabbit hole, but it just sorta felt like it was really out of place for everything that had been built up to that point. And then it escalated out of control from there.

>giant monsters as tools of war
Claymore
>MCs will go on a long boat trip
Berserk
>After Marley is defeated some nigger will show up with a map, "please visit this dark continent to find out how the titans were created"
HxH

Also the titans will learn new moves, like shooting Ki blasts

it's inspired by germanic folk tales of deals ith the devil (Tefelssagen) like Faust and many others. A person makes a deal with the deal, usualy for great power, only to have to powers destroy their life and bring them suffering and misery. After that they still die and go to hell...

Let's face it, the Titans were never really gonna be a threat anymore, especially after Bort and Reiner really failed to put a dent on the Survey Corps.

This might turn out terrible but at least it opens up multiple possibilities for where the narrative could go.
The Marleyans already seem just as interesting as the main party so far too.

>Bort
I wish that was his actual name.

the SC has been reduced to less than 10 ppl at this point in the manga mate.

>Eldia is at war with other kingdoms
>learns to create titans
>send the titan towards the other kingdoms
>shit goes bad, can't control the Titans so they create the walls
>Marley, one of the kingdoms, sends Eren's father to infiltrate Eldia and invistigate the Titans
>learns how to create shifters
>takes that information back to Marley
>2 of their experiments, Reiner and Bert, attack Eldia

there, similar to what we have now but without complety changing the vibe of the series and without any time travelling memories and all that crap

literally M Night Shyamalan's The Village.

>Let's face it, the Titans were never really gonna be a threat anymore, especially after Bort and Reiner really failed to put a dent on the Survey Corps.

If I had to name a single chapter where the manga's decline became inevitable, that was it.

You have 2 self aware highly trained titans who are either twice the size of the walls or armored from head to toe. And what do they do? They job. They job 3 times in a row.

What the fuck are the Paradis guys doing during the 4 year timeskip?

Why was there any need for a time skip anyway?