What happened to American music today?

Just compare these two songs.
First from actually good music from 70s
Second le typical modern progressive music.

1. youtu.be/Zc_JcGuH5Z8

2. youtu.be/4LfJnj66HVQ

Where did it all go so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=14UjO4QzPfE
youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28lsbc
youtube.com/watch?v=HzxW4eu9heY
youtube.com/watch?v=C6iAzyhm0p0
youtube.com/watch?v=WP4wAxTNl3Y
biblehub.com/ecclesiastes/7-10.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=-4aQiFaCod8
youtube.com/watch?v=V-xpJRwIA-Q
youtube.com/watch?v=07Zc8JF0O6c
youtu.be/NRWUs0KtB-I
youtube.com/watch?v=oP8SrlbpJ5A
youtube.com/watch?v=JxcFcKvjZCk
youtube.com/watch?v=kgvMpm9z0TI
youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM
youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0
youtube.com/watch?v=sIlNIVXpIns
youtube.com/watch?v=aktLRiWXfqg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Dadrock faggots are no better desu

The peak of American music was the Jazz output of the late 40's through 60's most arguably.

Jazz died and was forgotten as Rock appeared.
Rock is still popular, Jazz is not. So apparently Rock era was the peak of American music.

Then by that logic Hip Hop is the peak of American music because its relevancy has risen as Rock's has died off.

Yea but hip hop is degenerate and can barely be considered Music.

Not true, actually.

People ignorant of Hip Hop and how it's made would be in for a hard time when it comes to replicating the kind of production you hear in a decent Hip Hop track. The "Producer" most often arranges every instrument, composes, mixes and in some cases masters the final product. A fuckload more work goes into trash like Gucci Gang than you'd think.

T. Fruity loops

lol I very well familiar with music production don't tell me that fucking bullshit. Hiphop is shit no matter how hard """Producer""" tries to mix it. It's shit by definition.
Also, it's much more difficult to mix actual real instruments recorded in the studio or even EDM is much harder to work on.
Hiphop is simply beat under stupidass text reading, there's no even singing. Literally everyone can read text from a paper, no talent need to do this.

>Hiphop is shit no matter how hard """Producer""" tries to mix it. It's shit by definition.
Alrighty let's break this apart then.

>it's much more difficult to mix actual real instruments recorded in the studio
What about all the Hip Hop that uses actual instruments?

>EDM is much harder to work on
I dispute this. If we're setting the bar low, a bare-bones EDM track isn't much harder than a bare-bones Trap beat. If you're a shitty producer, you'll resort to pre-made kits and synth presets regardless. There are plenty who go above and beyond though.

>Hiphop is simply beat under stupidass text reading, there's no even singing
I actually agree with you, the rappers themselves really aren't talented. The producers however, the good ones, are. We could have a very fruitful discussion about rappers being leeches and come to some common ground for sure, but the producers who work hard deserve respect.

>there's no even singing
Depends which Hip Hop you're listening to. Stuff like Lauryn Hill doesn't fit this criteria at all.

>Literally everyone can read text from a paper
Agreed. To expound, rappers like Lil Pump don't even write, they simply ad lib into a mic. Complete trash. MY point is, not everyone can
produce a good Hip Hop beat. There is absolutely craft involved, and it isn't as simple as you're making it out to be.

Nice. Was watching some Farner interviews yesterday. Analog equipment was the best

>EDM is much harder to work on
LMAO

IS the best. And it's comming back, you can buy analog synths for nothing now

the mainstream likes what it is (((told))) to like. the charts aren't organic, and frankly youtube promotions determine success now.

808, distorted 808 kick, interesting sample repeated past the point of semantic satiation, and not least the right tempo

not hard

I can agree with you that something of hip-hop can be actually melodic, but it's rare and it's almost died nowadays.
Anyway even that sweet melodic hip hop is tribal shit compared to real music.
I like hip-hop when I pretty much like Jazz and it's usually without vocal.
The problem is in today's popular music, it's almost the same commercial degenerate shit like lil pump in any genre.

What about trap.
It's literally fucking tribal shit, if you're saying that trap is hard to program you either kidding me or you don't have any idea of music production.

Really? I'd heard that the prices were inflated to fuck.

The charts don't mean a thing anymore. Not compared to ten years ago anyway. A lot more people are concerned with faux-eclecticism, which is fine in its own way. A lot of cool stuff is being rediscovered, and a lot of neat music is coming out as a result. I don't mind some of the Pop these days, much more preferable to the Jamster ringtone-tier bullshit that was coming out in the 00's.

Also Akercocke fucking blow. Fight me.

fuck fuck fuckerdy fuck why does this topic always come up when i have no time FUCK FUCK FUCK!

That's more work than the average rock fan would be able to contend with going in. Which is my point. The process is not at all self-evident and mixing takes a bit of work to fully grasp. You can be great at an instrument but going into Hip Hop production blind will be a hassle. It's not as easy as plucking four notes on the piano and being done with it, even though it sounds like that.

I'm not saying basic trap is hard to program at all. I was saying the exact opposite, if anything. Other than that, I pretty much agree with you.

lmao that little nigger is 17 looks like he's 30.

pop was progressing to shit in the 00s but there was at least interest there. things sounded different to other things. whether it's beyonce, the strokes, outkast, or fedde le grand, sounds were recognisable and, from time to time, adventurous.

now it's a lot more genre'd. every female singer sounds like sia (booming robotic female singing) or adele (and again), every pop song uses the same chords in the same order, basically copying "i got a feeling" (which itself copied another song).

and as for the blight of trap and mumble rap...

>That's more work than the average rock fan would be able to contend with going in. Which is my point. The process is not at all self-evident and mixing takes a bit of work to fully grasp. You can be great at an instrument but going into Hip Hop production blind will be a hassle. It's not as easy as plucking four notes on the piano and being done with it, even though it sounds like that.
Man, every average producer of any genre can make a trap track for a day or two. I personally made a couple for my friend, and he said that's the real shit, but i'm not a rap or trap producer btw.
This is primitive shit, that's why niggers can only do trap or rap music.

>I'm not saying basic trap is hard to program at all.
Is there complicated trap?

> I was saying the exact opposite,
I though you're trying to convince me that trap music is the peak of art and very hard to produce.

Nah, it's actually easy. basically what said

As someone who's a producer of both EDM and Hip Hop, you're 100% correct.

Don't act like it isn't youtube.com/watch?v=14UjO4QzPfE

If we're going off of youtube success then the sub genres of hip hop such as lo-fi, jazz, and chill still dominate.

Music is subjective to individual tastes. Respect for listening to grand funk. A big part of music is where you were when you were listening to it. Everyone has that one song that's way out there removed from their usual tastes, yet you like it because of the memories. Plenty of people listen to Creed because they like it, yet they aren't Christians, because it sounds good. Beethoven would have probably considered led zeppelin degenerate filth.

What happened to American music today.
Just compare these two songs.
First from actually good music from 1920's.
Second, le typical modern progressive music.

1. youtube.com/watch?v=ynEOo28lsbc

2. youtube.com/watch?v=HzxW4eu9heY

Where did it all go so wrong?

say what you will, but i think if a girl listens to trap a lot she's probably a coalburner. music influences society influences music.

i don't know man, mumble rap shit gets 400,000,000 views on its day of release

You know you might actually have a point, but I'd argue that Pop has been kind of garbage since the 90's at least. There's always going to be standout acts that break through with raw talent though. In the age of the internet, their audiences are a lot more specific since self-marketing and promotion has become more prevalent.

>as for the blight of trap and mumble rap
I really don't rate the worst rap of the 00's much higher than the worst rap of today, frankly. "Snap" and garbage like that really wasn't much to write home about either.

>Is there complicated trap?
Maybe? I haven't heard much.

youtube.com/watch?v=C6iAzyhm0p0

This is the first thing that comes to mind. It's Trap-ish, I guess. Interesting samples and 808s at least, but I doubt you'd enjoy it. Otherwise, producers like RonnyJ have some interesting original melodies and basslines.

youtube.com/watch?v=WP4wAxTNl3Y

>I thought you're trying to convince me that trap music is the peak of art and very hard to produce
I don't think I said that at all. Could you quote me back? I'd be more than happy to concede your point if I did. In this thread I've been trying to stick up for Hip Hop production, because some interesting stuff does exist and standing apart from the crowd does require vision and talent.

your average "standout act" today is ed sheeran

bleh

I specified "people ignorant of Hip Hop and how it's made", to be fair.

As well, when I said EDM "isn't much harder" than Trap, I was talking about the lowest-effort, most generic examples of each genre. The guy I was responding to said it was "much harder" to work on, where I said it "isn't much harder". Nit-picky, but I want to get it clear here: EDM when it's done right IS a lot harder to produce than Trap. If I'm contradicting myself somewhere, point it out and I'll gladly eat shit.

Disposable artists, that way there's less likelihood of one speaking out on issues that the elite don't want known. Give some kid on youtube their 15 minutes of fame then move onto the next so people forget about them sooner.

I can't disagree, really. If we're talking about averages.

What do you think of modern Metal?

>443 million views

Just nuke us please China

Shit even back in the 70's mainstream was crap, but it was good crap.

Example: Styx (Mainstream) vs Joe Walsh (Non-Mainstream)

i don't pay much attention to modern metal because everything i hear sounds samey now. same pristine and boring production, same groove/djent/noodling aspects.

My nigger

All commercial music is degenerate. It becomes simpler and simpler. Eventually everyone will just be listening to a single pure tone.

Amd then there's country music. Every song sounds alike, with propaganda for lyrics.

that's destiny back in 70's

biblehub.com/ecclesiastes/7-10.htm

Do not say, "Why were the old days better than these?" For it is not wise to ask such questions.

The supposed wisest man supposedly said 1000's of years ago that you ask dumb questions. It's the same shit, different, and you are chasing after the wind with this question

BTW, the book of Ecclesiastes chapters 1 thru 7 are the ultimate redpill.

>youtube.com/watch?v=C6iAzyhm0p0
Very primitive shit. You liked it and think it's interesting only because of distort and glitch effects? lmao.

>second video doesn't work.

> I've been trying to stick up for Hip Hop production
Hip hop and trap are very close to each other.
trap is just a successor of hip hop.
but I agree, hip hop is much better, if you mean classic hip hop.

EDM of any kind is harder ( uless maybe shit like big room or something ) because it's required at least some chord progression and lead melodic theme by genre definition, also it often goes with vocal singing ( not reading ). Trap requires only 2 things beat + bassline optionally text reading over it.

>Eventually everyone will just be listening to a single pure tone.
Kek, that really is a lot of the Trap coming from Florida now. Just one distorted sinewave and a sidechained kick.

>Trap beat
I was in a pool hall last friday nitght, haveing acouple brews and games, when some dj came on with his Ipod, and connected it to some speaker, and just played Trap Beat music.

There was a rap song set to this beat, about smoking weed, fucking women, and driving an expensive car. Can anyone help out, if they know what song it was. Ohl, there was some cursing in the song, and there was talk about killing cops, and smoking more weed.

>Very primitive shit. You liked it and think it's interesting only because of distort and glitch effects?
Pretty much. It's Trap. What can I say?

>EDM of any kind is harder .... because it's required at least some chord progression and lead melodic theme by genre definition
Plenty of original Hip Hop instrumentation incorporates extended Jazz chords into its melodic foundation. What's your point?

>also it often goes with vocal singing
Plenty of Hip Hop does as well. Again, what's your point?

I don't know why you think I love Trap so much. I really don't for the most part. I enjoy some Hip Hop (or "classic hip hop" as you've put it) and that's about it.

Guess what OP, shitty pop music has been around forever. such as this..

youtube.com/watch?v=-4aQiFaCod8

>Grand Funk Railroad
At least post some good 70's music Pic related..

Jews and niggers

Next question?

I don't disagree when it comes to rappers and their lyricism. I'm simply saying that even the most bare-bones, low effort Trap beat requires SOME modicum of musical knowledge and talent to produce. I don't think it's a very controversial statement to make.

This song and it's video is pure Whitetopia
youtube.com/watch?v=V-xpJRwIA-Q

>Styx
>Crap

They had some good songs. Tell me you can't listen to "Come Sail Away" and not secretly sing along a bit..

Joe Walsh was pretty mainstream after the James gang and especially when he joined the Eagles.

>mumble rap
didn't know that was a thing. Good god.

youtube.com/watch?v=07Zc8JF0O6c

Trap is poor kids music. Tbh, pretty girls love trap like crazy and one explained why: it's so tough and I don't give a fuck and in your face. It's alpha/outlaw biker music.

I play trap and pass out drinks to chicks and have a good time, not listen to the lyrics. That's for when I'm playing my guitar or piano, or around other actual musicians or good friends.

First you was pointing about trap
now you're pretending and arguing like my point was about hip hop but my point was about trap.

Okay nevermind, I'm glad you understand that trap is degenerate shit.

>6 minutes and 38 seconds of "bix nood"

Anybody who listens to this should be euthanized.

did it include declarations that white girls universally love the artist and that their pussy is good?

>Trap beat
Also known as the shit they play as background music at "hip" overpriced women's clothing stores.

Music is now yet another industry owned by the global elite. In order to make their money, all they need to do is pump out repetitive simple stuff and young dumb people flock to it.

Gucci gang is better you russian faggot

>First you was pointing about trap
Look back to this post:
>I'm not saying basic trap is hard to program at all.

Then back to this one:
>IF WE'RE SETTING THE BAR LOW
That means if we're talking about the crappiest, easiest to make example of Hip Hop there is vs. the easiest to make example of EDM. The easiest to make Hip Hop is Trap.

My point all along has simply been that even producing crap Hip Hop requires SOME musical knowledge and talent. That's it. I have not once claimed that Trap music was some kind of standard of excellence that any producer should aspire to. In fact, I've plainly said the exact opposite. You began this argument by saying that Hip Hop can "barely be considered music", and all I said was:
>A fuckload more work goes into trash like Gucci Gang than you'd think
Operative word there being "TRASH".

I dated a young girl and played Tupac. She said she loved the classics

>Classic

I was scanning the shit tier FM radio stations and found one playing good hip-hop

>Classic rap radio
>I'm old

Anyway, here is a good classic rap song that tells a story.

youtu.be/NRWUs0KtB-I

The accessibility by a half-witted musician to three-chord songs made that type music very popular for the masses. Soon, anyone with a cheap guitar could manage a decent cover of these retrograde harmonies.

And so harmony became evil to the homespun musician, and was abandoned for ease of replication.

It was about lazy.

And it seems to have caught on, and reduces now to no-chord rap.

Harmony is harrrrrd. But C-G-F became the hero of the modern music biz.

Three fucking chords.

if i push a giant ball of feces from here to the mountains of switzerland, then roll down on it all the way to france picking up all sorts of animal poop on the way it will still be shit

Yes, thats the one. The word "bitches" was used... Something like, "white bitches" and then the rest was unintelligible.

Don't disagree, but it still takes effort to push it right? It's a waste of time, but it's still effort.

Thats gold, brah.

a kinda pointless effort if your not into scat wich im totally not promise

I love rock and metal and even pop at times. The best years were from 1960-1999.
But it all went down hill from 2010 onwards when that talentless Lady Gaga made electronic dance music popular. After that every single genre lost it's creativity and depth and went into full degeneracy.

Akercocke is so cringy, they all look like Tommy Wiseau

Sorry but I preferred Miss America and Renegade over that soft track.

True "Life's been good" did become mainstream, literally a 70's theme, eagles is very mainstream and true James Gang was a hidden gem, but I doubt Walsh was that much mainstream at all only 2 or 3 of his songs we're on popular radio stations: "Life been good" "Rocky Mountian Way" and after the warriors movie in '79: "In the city"

>Lady Gaga
>Talentless
I don't care for her pop music, but she's actually pretty damn talented.

youtube.com/watch?v=oP8SrlbpJ5A

youtube.com/watch?v=JxcFcKvjZCk

besides "dance" music has been around since disco in the 70's

>cringy

women pussyfied rock n roll

Nigga wut?

decent argument, but I would consider it a false equivalency: pop music is just on another level of cancer/degeneracy

My dad is a musician, and was friends with Janis.

my dad works at nintendo and was friends with your dad

My Dad might have rolled shit past your Dad when he was on his way to help record Joplin's last album.

pac had a few songs that were pretty socially conscious
youtube.com/watch?v=kgvMpm9z0TI

feels old man

youtube.com/watch?v=zSAJ0l4OBHM

fucking underrated

You can't expect art to be good in the age of decline

Is there a higher video resolution? I play the keyboard and I see some possible mis-syncs with the hand movement and the notes. It could be digital artifacts though.

I don't have it, but for what it's worth it at least LOOKS like she's miming in the right keys. If she is miming, anyway.

I've seen other videos of her playing the piano too. She's definitely got some talent.

"One day the last portrait of Rembrandt and the last bar of Mozart will have ceased to be—though possibly a colored canvas and a sheet of notes will remain—because the last eye and the last ear accessible to their message will have gone."

My dad went out for cigarettes in 1992, and never returned.

When our society crumbles to some bio-death, or something, what will alien archaeologist think of us, if the first find of our culture is:

youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

I think we should have a "OPEN THIS FIRST" box, and in it we can have the great composers.

This graph shows the decline of American music.

youtube.com/watch?v=sIlNIVXpIns

They should open this masterpiece first..

youtube.com/watch?v=aktLRiWXfqg

.>The internet happened.

Back in the 70s, 80s and early 90s bands actually had to play gigs to build up a fan base, songs and skills before cutting an EP and getting on college radio to build momentum. This is in the day of expensive long distance phone calls so word wasn't spread around as easily.

Music was distributed on physical mediums - 8 track, LPs, CDs and cassettes, so if a label was going to invest any money in running off 1000 EPs or so, you had to actually show talent.

Today, with Youtube and camera phones everywhere music is very cheap to produce and distribute, so they can through any crap up and see if it sells.

Have you ever listened to the lyrics on a 'classic' rap album like the Chronic? Complete garbage, no matter how good the beat is the music is unlistenable for anyone with an IQ above room temperature.

The pushback on NWA corrupting kids back in the 80s was bang on the money

I teach guitar take it from me Rock is all but dead. All styles fall out of fashion take Rag Time for example. Whats on top now will fall from favor tomorrow. With the rise of AI music is doomed anyway. Algorithms already determine what the corporations shove down the next generations throat. Taste is subjective anyway, dumb people like dumb shit smart people like smart shit some people like a little of every thing. To each his own don't let it get you down.

do you mean guitar music in general is dead?

Please die.

It isn’t just music you dumb underaged cunt. Since western civ already peaked that also means everything associated with it peaked too including art, film, etc. TV is one of the newest mediums and even that already peaked a decade ago so you’ll never see a tv show on the level of the early hbo shows. And music is no different. Only thing that can save it is someone ushering in a new genre somehow, but that probably won’t happen

Mostly I'm referring to Rock, however guitar doesn't enjoy the popularity it did even just ten years ago.

MTV

Popular music is and has always been shit because normies only like boring music. The only difference is that the average american has become even more idiotic and consumerist in the last 60 years. We are lucky however that internet allows us to hear actually good music.

I’ve always hated jazz, but I’m open to change. Post your best.

TV is the biggest tragedy of humanity. Vidya is the patricians entertainment medium.

Check out out these two albums

>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
>Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Jazz is fun, but its a bit like EDM where you have to find your style.

To appreciate it, go to one of the dozen little jazz bars that will be hidden around you city for a couple of drinks one night. The sound of the instruments live will get your interest in jazz started.

How about kill yourself you filthy nigger

Somebody is triggered.

>What happened to American music today?

niggers, spics, fags, and the music industry catering to adolescents