Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion

Why did he not revive Kaworu?
and why did he revived Asuka?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9_GlarsuReo
wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Kaworu wasn't an option. Asuka was most compatible to him.

He didn't revive anyone.

He didn't revive anyone. Asuka revived herself through her own will. Even if Instrumentality had been applicable to Kaworu, Misato points out that he had no will to live.

Please.

OP don't even bother asking questions about this ending. No one knows what it means. It's complete nonsense with no meaning other than to look deeper than it is.

Whether people came back or not after Instrumentality was down to whether they had the will to live or were more content living painlessly as a sea of Kool-Aid.

This user's questions were spelled out explicitly right in the movie's text, you idiot. It's stated directly that anyone with the will to come out of the sea will do so. When was the last time you watched it? Did you even?

Shinji's decision not to end the world and to keep living in spite of the pain of life resolves one of the series's major questions

There is a lot of pointless weird shit though

If that were true how come it's just Asuka and Shinji on the shore? Shouldn't there be lots of people? Shinji has more of a will to live than the rest of humanity? What a joke.

We saw like ten feet of beach, they won't all necessarily spawn at Shinji's choke party

He has. Instrumentality allowed him to change his mind. Asuka too.
He was not the one who revive her, she came out of her own

He freely decided to live when presented with a painless, guilt-free end to his existence, that's got to say something about his will to survive.

It's also stated that this will happen over time.
Please. Please, I implore you, watch shit before you try to answer questions about it.

It's a shame neither of the literal two people Shinji had a not-fucked up dynamic with wanted to come back. There's no way he can be happy with Asuka.

Over time many will, but not just there. It could take decades or even centuries for the consciousness of a single person to decide it wants to live in a mortal coil. People will be randomly crawling out of that Tang ocean for generations. Many never will.

>There's no way he can be happy with Asuka.
I think so too, but I also think we're supposed to feel more optimistic about it.
Or, I guess, that life is still worthwhile even despite that inevitable pain.

Other people will come back on their own.

Maybe you couldn't be happy with Asuka.

What I feel about this ending, and why I like it, is because there is actual hope now. Shinji is a wretched, traumatized mess, but he CHOSE to live. His life is abysmal, but there is just the faintest possibility that someday, things will be okay again.

(re: asuka they'll never get along but i think theyll end up sort of alright with each other)

Can you see Kaworu or Rei having much of a will to live
If Kaworu is even in there

And nor can Shinji.

Yes. It's equal parts exasperating and inspiring to me.

The only person who could be happy with Asuka is Mari
Everyone else just gets sick of being bitched at

Kensuke could take it. In fact, Touji could probably hold his own, but they would end up with a truly horrible Everybody Loves Raymond tier relationship.

I don't agree with that.

Their biggest problem is that they have the communication skills of Helen Keller. Asuka doesn't just want validation - she wants to be loved for who she is. Shinji just wants someone who will never leave him. Shinji is always there for people, he's just scared of Asuka since he's confused by her and she confuses his trepidation with lack of interest. If you count the Rebuilds then these characterizations get even stronger, as he sincerely praises Rei and Asuka and she obviously waits for him after fourteen years and an apocalypse he triggered.

Shinji didn't revive anyone

Asuka rejected instrumentality on her own.

why did Asuka say 'how disgusting'?

Toji and Asuka were together in that alternate-dimension - they both had an empty relationship that focused entirely on sex.

That would be fucking abysmal and they would physically fist fight once a week but I'd watch a movie about it

you know there's a live action deleted scene from EoE in which they're canonically dancing the meatspin tango

Everyone else comes back eventually. He just has to wait until they do and refrain from choking the poor girl.

>>Everyone else comes back eventually.

implying any of us would lol

The most mysterious thing about Eva is that hentai ova.

She dislikes bathing in the water other people bath in too. The sea of LCL felt gross for her.

Literally no in-series reason, but its allegedly what her VA said when Anno asked for her reaction to the coma scene

So I guess that kind of implies an in-series reason, which is that she's somehow aware that Shinji beat off on her comatose chest

>instrumentality happens
>reifags shits get to be fused with their waifu for all eternity
>embrace it
>asukafags and other reasonable people get out
>world becomes a perfect place

SASUGA ANNO

THE MASTER

Evangelion population is not the faggots from Sup Forums

Shikinami is a very different character from Soryu; I don't think Shikinami's characterization adds to Soryu's at all.
Asuka and Shinji consistently bring out the worst in each other. Each of their neuroses clash in a way not dissimilar to a bad chemical reaction.
Asuka is disgusted with Shinji and she is disgusted with herself. She is strong-willed, but a strong-willed person full of loathing makes that loathing really strong, too. She pushes that loathing out externally. Lashing out at other people is her own form of self harm, because harming others ends up bringing herself more misery. Shinji, meanwhile, cuts out the middleman, and internalizes his own loathing so that he can harm himself directly. When Shinji and Asuka meet, these traits feed into each other more and more and more.
Sure, they could work through it. Therapy at length and all that. But that's not exactly the basis of a healthy relationship, and I foresee it breeding resentment before it breeds happiness.

WHICH I CAN'T FUCKING FIND ONLINE.

FUCK. I SAW IT IN AMV HELL 2 AND I CAN'T FIND IT.

I know.

Huh. Yeah, I guess it's true that they could potentially be good together, but I don't think it bodes well for their communications skills that Shinji was last seen throttling her to try and get a response.

Ah, so the reason he chokes her is because he's pissed she came to fuck him his world again?

Kaworu isn't even dead, so how could he be revived?

>Shikinami is a very different character from Soryu; I don't think Shikinami's characterization adds to Soryu's at all.
I'm of the personal opinion that the rebuilds are some kind of sequel (how and why I don't understand yet), but even still, remakes and alternate-universes are fantastic ways to understand the core of a character.

Think of it like this, what makes Peter Parker a hero? Is it the powers? The gadgets? No, it's what's inside his heart. That's why every What If? has him rising to the occasion.

>tfw no titanic primordial gf

He wouldn't have stopped if that was the case.

They are a sequel, but Shikinami has marked differences from Soryu's core--the dolls, yeah, but also her complete disinterest in proving herself as an adult woman by seeking Kaji's attention and validation, which I feel is a defining characteristic of Soryu Asuka Langley. Although the Rebuilds are sequels, it's more like Kaworu's journey through alternate continuities than the cast's journey.

I want to marry Kaworu Nagisa.
I want to start a piano-cello group with him and sell our CDs in a shoddy alleyway in London.

I'm pretty sure Shikanami is to Asuka what Rei-Q is to Rei - basically the same character, but more so. More militant, more bitter, more angry. However, I think this is because of her alternate life and being in total like thirty years old or something. I think she's Asuka, just under worse circumstances, and so her personality can tell us things about the original.

>Kaworu Nagisa
That's his FULL name? Fuck, and here I thought his name was already cutesy, but it's also NAGISA?!
No wonder Shinji was gay for him.

I really should rewatch the last few episodes. I don't even remember what happened to Kaworu.

Nagisa dies. Just like CLANNAD.

I wonder how he chose his name. Does he know it's cute?

How do you not remember what happened in what has been repeatedly cited as one of the most memorable episodes in the entire anime?

Nagisa Kaworu means "Fragrance of the seashore" in Japanese.
Which is why he meets Shinji on a seashore.

Sasuga Anno, so deep!

I have to say, it is charming that Karl gets called Nagisa all the way through.

IF YOU LIKE HIM MAYBE DON'T DO THAT

More like the LEADUP. Like I can't remember why they let this guy wander around NERV. Yea, I remember him being squished. It's probably the best scenes of Evangelion.

Fuck you nigger, I haven't finished clannad yet

Deep like he and Sadamoto want to be in Kaworu.

Dude, he gets like ten minutes of screentime. It's not that much to remember.

It's not gay if it's an angel according to ancient greece.

They let him in because he's the Fifth Child. He's supposed to pilot Eva with then and shit but he died too quick.

ancient Greece never gave a fuck anot whether it was gay or not and you know it

Man all the sexual references in here. Was the message of this just to tell you to "Go get some sex" before you become to self reflective?

Nah. Sex in Eva isn't presented as inherently good or bad, and is a negative influence more often than not.

Sex is another form of communication, and of course it's a form of intimacy, both of which are presented as defining struggles in the series. Of course it's going to be a theme.

Go to this video youtu.be/9_GlarsuReo n check the comment for google drive link.youre welcome

Anno doesn't help the birth rate at this point with this and the gay agenda.

Anno wants the Japanese people to die out, it's his revenge.

It's a valid question, why are Shinji and Asuka first? It screams of asspull.

After all this time you don't get Shinji and Asuka are supposed to be very similar? They both figured it was better to live
It's not that deep son

This basically. It even shines light on the fact that Misato hasn't resurfaced, so it's not like it's negligent to other characters. It's just thematic.

But they aren't. There's people coming out through many bodies of water all over the world, we only see one small beach in Japan. Which is exactly near where Asuka and Shinji "died".
And Asuka comes out roughly 2 weeks after Shinji did.

so are they the only two people who aren't LCL goop now?

Considering asuka's character you think she'd be flattered.

Don't be blindly insulting if you're not going to actually contribute to discussion. The bathwater scene alone shoots that down. Not every thread requires shitposting.

>And Asuka comes out roughly 2 weeks after Shinji did.
based on what?
>Which is exactly near where Asuka and Shinji "died".
why should that matter? I am pretty sure the liquid nature of tang means it gets all mixed up and everywhere, much like human thought/emotion via instrumentality. Besides, Shinji "died" in space.

They're the only two we've seen, but that doesn't mean there aren't others.

I don't know about two weeks, but she came out later than him for sure (if you assume the last scene of them on the beach is immediately after she appears, which most people do). Shinji had time to set up grave markers and stuff.

see >based on what?
Based on Shinji having enough time to put up grave markers, and Misato's cross forming rust before Asuka appeared.

>why should that matter?
It just makes more sense that they would show up there when that's where they entered instrumentality.
>Shinji "died" in space
No, he was really really high up in the sky. But it was vertical from that small beach.

Really wish I had never seen the movies, the original ending was much better.

>Shinji had time to set up grave markers and stuff.
Shinji didn't set that up. That's just wreckage that survived.
>No, he was really really high up in the sky. But it was vertical from that small beach.
Now you're just reaching.

why would Shinji make graves when no-one really died? they're just tang

Phases of the Moon I think. It's new in the alignment shots with the Earth and Sun during 3rd Impact and full in the ending. If you had a lot of faith in Eva's detail and continuity that would mean some multiple of 2 weeks between the scenes.

I ONCE CAUGHT A FISH THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISBIG

>Shinji didn't set that up. That's just wreckage that survived.
Yes he did, you retard. The script even says they're his grave markers.
Why else would Misato's cross be nailed in one of them?

>you're just reaching
You're retarded. We see him right above that area.

Because he was most likely there for a very long time and assumed no one would come back.
Then he sees Asuka which leads him to believe she's just an illusion, hence he chokes her.
That's why we think it must have been a long time before she appeared.

The graves are a leftover from the original screenplay

wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays

they left them in the film for whatever reason

>Last A: The prototype of the final ending. It depicts grave markers erected by Shinji, inscribed with the names of the people he'd known (with the exception of Rei). Asuka is shown kicking down her marker. (A stand of grave markers, complete with one that's been kicked down, are still there in the finished film, but no explanation is provided.) The infamous throttling scene is present, but Asuka's line afterwards is different: "Idiot. I'd never let someone like you kill me."
Glad they changed it, the last line of Eva is so much more interesting the way they did it.

Kaworu is an Adam-based lifeform, he couldn't come back even if he wanted to. He's not in the tang.

Then how do you explain the rebuilds?

Personally I figure if Rei can be a ghost or whatever, so can Kaworu.

>this thread
I wish people didn't just proclaim their own interpretations of the choking scene as if it's canon. It's left ambigious.

Rei had both the seeds of life as Lilith and so became a godlike being.
Kaworu can probably only come back if the world is reset.

Evangelion is full of half finished ideas and changes.

What the fuck was the point of the Eva series, for example? To house the souls of SEELE in an early iteration, basically for them to rule as gods from within, that was their version of instrumentality. Not so in the final cut. But you still have the Eva series, so what is their real purpose? What caused the impact? Rei or Shini? It's not clear, there is no hard science to the series at the end of the day, especially since Anno changes his mind about his intent every other week.

Rei never had both seeds of life, only Unit 1 did.

Just like Rei, he never really died.
They're both in omnipresent god form when they lecture Gendo and shit.

Souls cannot be destroyed, which is why a world reset is even possible. Kaworu was part of instrumentality, it wasn't just Rei deceiving Shinji.

I'e heard it thrown around that Gendo used whatever the soul collection process is to reclaim Kaworu's soul after he was killed in Central Dogma and added some version of it to his plan. It makes sense when you consider the Reis and their personalities, fragments of the same soul eventually made whole (this is when she turns against Gendo, she has a complete memory/personality of her experience with him). Gendo wouldn't just let Kaworu's death go to waste, right?

>(with the exception of Rei)
... Not dead?

she's not a person she's a toilet

>Rebuild Kaworu remembers previous timelines/universes
>Rei doesn't despite gaining godlike status at the end of the world
what is young nagisa doing

Yes, it was noted in the scripts that Kaworu's sole made it's way back to the Adam embyo grafted in Gendo's hand.
He wanted to use that to become herald of instrumentality (which is done by gaining the favor of both Adam and Lilith), but Rei took Kaworu from him instead and they did a "forbidden union" to go to Shinji.

The Adam Embryo from Gendo's hand + Lillith's body.

That's both fruits, life and knowledge.