Obsession for college

Why is there this huge obsession for going to college and this stigma towards people who have no college diploma?

It seems to be portrayed as the only viable path to success even in Europe, where college doesn't cost nearly as much as in the states.

What is Sup Forums opinion on college?

Personally I dropped out after realizing I was paying for information I had available for free on the internet (and sometimes even better quality information).

Never had any problems finding a decent job. I honestly think having a college diploma isn't as important as some people want you to believe it is.

STEM + Medicine, rest are all meme degrees

I taught myself philosophy and regularly nuke """students""" of that disgraced faculty in debates.

Its an old boomer myth that states that "if you have a diploma, you are set for life".
It used to be true in europe but for bad reasons: only the rich could go to college back in the day, so their position was more than secured.

I feel like dropping out of community college in this city. They're keeping me from graduating because I keep failing math. I just want to be a blue collar worker and build a family and be useful. But I can't because family is counting on me to graduate and I've already spent 2 years there. This is my third. I'm so pissed, I just wanna leave!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Just enrolled in community college. Better to spend a couple thousand than tens of thousands. Just want to see if I like it.

Education is important.

Math, Agro, All sciences, Business degrees, CS , engineering, History and librarian degrees

I say Librarian degrees as maintaining historical books is very important and often over looked.

Tourism is where most money is at.

What kind of jobs did you find, OP? How did you find them?

STEM is a great pseudo IQ test. I still think it's the best way to get into a high paying industry.

I am 24 and am thinking of going into college next school year. If i go, i'll study something substantial, like physics.

This.

Colleges make all their money teaching prep courses that are actually worthless.Guidance counselors in high school should all be shot and killed for sending so many kids to doomed careers for the "do what makes you happy!" meme.

As a history graduate I can't get an entry level library job because I didn't have 3 years of library experience or a library science degree, fucking hell

Why do you feel chained to your family? You're a man now, make your own choices.

You're right, most professions are learnable via online information and books, plus it shows you're self accountable enough to do shit yourself. The problem is the university stigma is deeply entrenched in society(for a variety of factors really). At the end of the day, the most significant consequence is that a lot of people feel they have no choice but to waste their time and money in indoctrination institutions. The usual stuff. Personally I find creative professions to be the best alternative, you can both learn on your own and not be a wage slave(plus if you work with music for instance you can live in the countryside and get royalties). But I don't expect people who want to live like boomers to understand that

I just keep studying because of the sunk cost fallacy: I've come this far, I can't stop now or else everything I put into it was wasted.

>I keep failing math
>Community College

Also, having an economics degree will help me find a decent job, either in the public sector which requires a degree, or, in the peivate sector, because everyone still highly respects uni degrees (dunno why)

what kind of math is that. post exercise.

because millennials are stupid

I got a job in STEM with no degree at 19.

Degrees are shit. Connections are it.

If you know enough people you'll get your opportunity.

Currently I am robotics technician (I got a 2 year "degree" aka vocational training in industrial automation).

I'm getting around 2000-2300€ month which is quite some money for a 21 yr old in spain.

"Education" in modern countries is not really about learning skills or information necessary to perform economically valuable labor. Some of that happens, but as you pointed out, there are faster, cheaper, and easier ways to obtain such information and practice such skills. The purpose of formal education has more to do with filtering and testing for personal characteristics. A degree serves as an indicator that the holder has some combination of aptitude, diligence, and obedience above the average level. Formal education - particularly from"prestigious" institutions - also facilitates social network formation. Entry into some careers, such as those in politics and public service, may be more dependent on this social networking aspect than on any information taught in courses.

>library science
What I'm the actual fuck?

databasing and catalogue management, archiving, etc. he should just intern at libraries and museums until he gets enough experience.

If you're in the top decile of iq, it's ok to do a meme degree like history or philosophy as it is leading you towards a JD or will help you get u to the door of a business job. College is more to teach you the intellectual lingo so that you can sound like you know what you're doing in a conversation with fellow smart people. I suppose you can teach that to yourself but it's much easier and effective when you have thousands of peers to mingle with in and outside of class. For the example of business, most businesses want a negotiator or marketer to be fluent in advanced vocabulary. That's just my two shekels anyways.

I plan on going to law school. But unless you're going for something that requires a pretty rigorous and specialized education like that or a STEM/medical field college is worthless. Humanities, philosophy, sociology, polisci, etc. All trash. Just go to a trade or technical school if you aren't interested in what I mentioned above.

This is a really stupid meme. Getting a master's or doctorate in the humanities is incredibly useful, and teaching/writing with it is even more so

I would imagine, it's a lot of money for slovenia too.

It's really odd to hear people in early 20s have such high paying jobs, especially with no college. I don't know anyone who would have a decent job at my age (i'm the same user) without college, just minimum wage warehouse workers/baristas.

If you can show with your degree that you know how to accomplish something by the time you're 25, then that makes it easy for people to judge you favourably.

I think of getting a degree in real life like joing the army in Starship Troopers. It's a surer path to becoming a citizen (ie: member of society).

That's true. It's a way of showing that you are actually capable of sticking with something to the end.