What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ih3nBxjkBH8
katawa-shoujo.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

forced drama

going to watch it now, hope its just another episode of Sup Forums just want to be a contrarian, like almost always.

This thread.

Is the ending to this the same as the manga? If it is I'm not going to bother watching it.

forced animation

forced chromatic abberation

It is, it's actually one of the best anime films ever made. Yamada does it again.

The ending was dull and abrupt.

I enjoyed the film but the way the majority of the characters still had no kind of empathy for how much of a cunt they were was baffling.

nothing, better than Shitkai

>watching movies

Why

koe no katachi? more like koe no katashit
a silent voice? more like a silent flop

Bad premise.
No one likes seeing people being mean to each other, especially not in a sad way where no one is evil. No one should expect this to do well, it never had potential to catch on. People don't want to feel what this makes you feel.
There was a limit to how much they could do, without changing the story and tone completely. It never had potential to become a success.
(Haven't seen the movie or read the manga)

I like the premise, but the directing was awful
the ost is good atleast

The premise works for making a good movie, but it's a bad idea if you want to make money. A serious movie about bullying and disabilites and suicide will never be successful. People don't want to watch that. It has the potential for objectively being a masterpiece, but people won't want to watch something like that over and over, when it doesn't bring good feelings, and it's also less tempting to go watching something like that.

Doesn't properly develope character relationships.
Really confusing story telling making it hard to follow or understand what's going on.

It has some nice moments but for the most part it's just really amateur.

This, i loved the manga, and really bought into the character drama, but they way they jump from scene to scene character to character in the movie just makes it all feel confusing.

Character's actions don't at all seem justified half the time, and sometimes you just have no idea what's happening or what kind of emotion is being conveyed.

>Character's actions don't at all seem justified half the time
Humans, especially young ones, are not rational actors

The movie is pretty static to be honest.

You are correct, but this is fiction, and in fiction your characters need to make sense and have rational motives. Good fiction never strives to be realistic, but have coherency.

Christ, no, what the hell is wrong with you
The best fiction is the fiction that best replicates reality

I have no know if it's cause the shitty google translate subs that I watched but I had no clue what was happening half the time.

One minute deaf girl tries tell bully-kun that she likes him, only for it never to be brought up or built upon. there's just way too many loose ends

I liked it. Except for the ending.
Just kiss, damnit.

You both went into it expecting something different than what it was. The romance is incidental, it's not the driving force of the story.

I guess this would be your favourite film of all time, then:

youtu.be/Ih3nBxjkBH8

Fiction has to be entertaining, too, of course. Acting like there can't be a balance is asinine.

>The best fiction is the fiction that best replicates reality
Realistic situations, at least ones that we can relate, but not realistic characters with realistic lives and realistic dialogues, since that tends to be boring and convoluted in a bad way. Try recording a few conversations you have with people, you'll realize how bad ¨realistic¨ dialogue actually is.

Seeing people that talk, think, act and feel like me is what keeps me searching. It's the exact opposite of boring, it's totally authentic and engrossing.

Hey, at least it is something. It is not a good story in any sense so getting those trophies in itself is already a huge achievement.

You´re so romantic but you don´t really know what you want in fiction.

I liked Pulp Fiction

I guess I'm just sick of years and years of consuming shit that says and reflects absolutely nothing about the kind of people I grew up around and the kind of place I came from. You can find that stuff anywhere. It's the other stuff that makes it all worthwhile.

I agree, KyoAni picked a bad material to adapt from.

Pulp fiction has meticulously created dialogue, though. Tarantino is one of the best when it comes to making dialogue be incredibely functional while appearing casual and without meaning.

Every character in a Tarantino movie talks like Tarantino. Scorsese is a better writer.

It was good, the fuck are you talking about?

Tarantino is still up there.

Just watched it, people who defend it are just kyoanus lickers, aside from the OP everyting was bad

>romance
>don't ever get together

It's not really a romance

I went in knowing nothing besides some kid bullies a deaf girl, I hate how they teased the romance and then it was never brought up again and just thrown away, there was no point of that scene being in the movie

It was made into a movie when it should have been made into a series

If you found out something about the characters, then the scene justifies itself.

I hate this opinion

It came out within weeks of Your Name. It's a nice flick but compared to Your Name it's gutter trash anime.

I think you've got it backwards.

t. Kyoanus

it just ends sooner than the manga about 2 chapters sooner

I'm a kyoanus licker myself and even I realize this movie isn't that good. I didn't read the manga so I'm not really biased or had expectations for it. I also thought people whinning about the chromatic aberration and blur was a meme but it is really distracting.

How? If that scene is trying to show shouko trying to communicate better then they could of done it in much better ways without throwing romance into it

The pacing is fucked.
It jumps from an event to another without letting the characters breath or anything matter. Scenes that were supposed to be powerful are just whatever without proper build up, cool down and execution.
It poorly tries to cover everything in the manga without focusing on anything.
I might not like to hear it but it's the truth. The film is a rushed mess.

>It tries to cover everything in the manga
Wrong

the point of the scene is to show how Shouya and Nishimiya felt about each other. We learned that even after everything that has happened Nishimiya feels romantically about Shouya. Shouya on the other hand does not think romantically about their relationship at all.

When Nishimiya tried to say "Tski da", even with her broken pronunciation, the obvious assumption would be that she is confessing her love. however, because shouya is not thinking romantically at all he assumes she said "Tsuki" meaning moon. The point of the scene is to tell us what shouya truly seeks is forgiveness and friendship and he is not doing all this cause his dick told him to.

Nishimiya, despite being afraid of Shouya at first grows to like him more and more. We needed to learn she fell in love with shouya because of what happens in the final act of the film. Seeing shouya alienate himself from all his friends for her sake, she begins to feel guilty. She even tries to commit suicide because she wanted the person she loved, Shouya, to be freed from here baggage. The suicide attempt would not make sense unless we learnt how strongly Nishimiya felt about Shouya hence the confession scene.

But the actions feel justified in the manga, ueono for example, it clearly shows she has a thing for ishida but in the movie it's like "why does she care so much lol"

It doesn't cover everything in the manga but you can clearly see a bunch of shit that is missing that makes no god damn sense unless you read the manga. Personally I would be fine if they did an OVA for several parts to give the character development then being literal whos.

Nice post

Haven't read the manga myself, and I never felt lost

It does. Even the characters made pointless by the cuts are still there for no reason.
The story was just not made to be compressed in two hours, it needed some serious rewriting, not just cutting some fluff and making entire chapters into montages like they did.

Didn't even watched it properly and except for the attempted suicide scene. They didn't do the Ueno/Shouko mom catfight justice really, although the kid Shouya/Shouko fight was pretty well done. All in all it was okay and glad they skipped the movie plot since it was shit.

No it doesn't there are entire arcs from the manga that are cut to save time like the school film

No sex

I never read the manga but I don't feel like every motivation for every character needs thorough justification. Ueono likes Shouya but why she liked him didn't need explaining because the rest of the story works well without it.

Clearly you don't look much into something and just accept things regardless if it made no sense. Still I do agree the film is pretty good but they could have done hell of a lot better.

No sakuga. Now I know why the movie only took 3 months to make, they're pretty much just static images.

But the school film crew is still there, for no reason.

I only watched the movie and story was crystal clear to me. Which part doesn't make sense in the movie to you?

Yes, clearly I'm just stupid, excellent deduction

Crew? You mean the friendship group that Shoya wanted Shoko to reconnect with?

Glad we have something to agree on.

I never said that I just stated you accept things regardless how poorly it is done.

Feel better yet?

Suspension of disbelief you autist. Try it sometimes.

That's an odd way to frame it - I'd say that I didn't find much poorly done to begin with. Your position seems to suppose that these things are incontrovertible truths that we either choose to accept, or we don't.

To be fair, it is pretty much rare for there to be three prominent anime movies at the time.

>Award bait due to muh nippon suffering
>Meme magic powered thanks to Finds a Way

The fact that it won anything is impressive in on itself.

You are the one took offense and started berating yourself despite it having nothing to do with what was said. But it doesn't matter just enjoy the film because ignorance is bliss. I do it sometimes too for some shows. Personally I prefer to watch the movie then read the source but I never thought this would get an adaptation.

the problem with cutting the film arc, is that there is no tension build up and it makes the following scene come across as forced drama which it was in the manga anyway but more believable . You have to make something else build up stress and tension between them otherwise this scene ends up falling flat

I wasn't the one making judgements of how "deeply" other people examine the media they consume because they didn't have the save issues with it as me. Reexamine your own actions here.

Got a hard-on for disabled girls lately. Any anime/manga with such theme? Not including moe-retarded /air-headed types.

I guess there is no point in discussing if it just falls on deaf ears.

>deaf ears
Cute.

>le what went wrong shit thread
I hate you

Honestly i just had no idea what the fuck is happening half the time the movie jumps around way to much.

This is one of the best films ever made you degenerate (if you were speaking negatively of it)

That makes a bunch more sense, I'm sure the romance is more dominate in the manga later on?

Some reviews said that Yamada's direction isn't tailored to be the most accessible and people who weren't paying extra attention to the film would be confused so all these comments just feel like vindication

Do they say why? Yamada direction is not exactly avant garde or complex.

Just fucking download and play Katawa Shoujo.

katawa-shoujo.com/

I mean, all the shots of people's bodies instead of their faces, to represent Shouya being unable to look the world in the eye is a pretty uncompromising directorial choice. If you don't key into that you could get pretty thrown by it.

>I mean, all the shots of people's bodies instead of their faces, to represent Shouya being unable to look the world in the eye is a pretty uncompromising directorial choice
This argument falls flat when Yamada's framing style boils down to body and limb shots, regardless of motives and moods you just described. Even scenes or characters that have nothing to do with the themes of Koe no Katachi have them in any Yamada directed anime/episode.

The argument is ultimately it's not a directorial decision made with accessibility in mind. The thematic context is just describing the usage of those shots in terms of this project specifically.

It existing.

Been there, done that. Next!

An unexplained web of symbology (baptism. flowers, water, slippers), understated character motivations that don't make sense until you reach the end or in some cases aren't present from the manga and only hinted at, peculiar sound editing tied to the "deaf" themes in both a literal and metaphorical sense, untranslated sign language and very strong attention to body language in general. Also portraying this particular subject matter in a tender and sensitive way that also feels uncomfortable rather than a brute power fantasy of the hero getting redemption and romance handed to him which goes against lots of Western fiction. Lots of English citizens in Scotland don't understand Japanese culture so they got mad when the characters acted in a way that's foreign to them. I haven't seen the film or read the manga but this is the bulk of what I know about it.

I really liked it, but I saw it in the cinema so maybe it was forced fun.

nigga what

For me it was the cuts from scene to scene that where confusing, when he first meets shoko all grown up, it cuts to him waking up like it was just a dream or something.
Or like when they showed orange hair dude as part of the group i felt like i had missed something, we know nothing about him.
They also don't really convey the passage of time very well, it's just confusing in general, i hope the manga wasn't like this.

>forced fun.

It clearly wasn't a dream because you don't dream as an older version of yourself, you dream as yourself

KyoAni's bread and butter is making masterpieces from shit source material

The same thing happened here actually, people will just take a while to appreciate it and stop thinking 1:1 manga adaptations are good.