What was life like before Smartphones?

What was life like before Smartphones?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B-bk1qugYmo
jimbriggs.net/2010/10/creativity-and.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It was a better time to be honest, now everybody wants to larp as a person for great wisdom and have a opinion on everything. Mostly when ninety-nine percent of them don't know what their talking about.

We texted each other with Semaphore and Morse.

people communicated

>when the smoke signal is just right

When I own my own private farmland, absolutely zero cellphones will be permitted. The most aggressive instrument of globalists that exists by far.

everyone was holding a book or a newspaper or talking to someone

replace smartphones with newspapers/magazines

Like this

Better

.-- .... . -. -.-- --- ..- -.-. --.- .- -. -.. ... .... . ... - .- .-. - ... - .... . --.- ... ---

You mean to say EVERYONE walked around with a newspaper 24/7?

Far out!

In public we actually had to socialize to not be seen as that awkward guy. Most of the time was spent at home though, getting bitches to masturbate on MSN messenger, those were the days user.

people were smart instead

fucking kek

Taking a dump was pretty much wasted time

Reading Longform articles is better for brain than 150 character tweets

I would kill to not have to have spent my teenage years in the world of social media and smartphone degeneracy. Sucks to have been born in the late 90s desu.

People actually talked to each other and your words had consequences. I want to go back.

>.-- .... . -. -.-- --- ..- -.-. --.- .- -. -.. ... .... . ... - .- .-. - ... - .... . --.- ... ---
>WHENYOUCQANDSHESTARTSTHEQSO

>getting bitches to masturbate on msn messenger
Those were the days

I actually talked to and met people outside

>when the only people you meet who even know what QSOs are, are 70 year old men on their death beds

You can read news or shakespeare on your smartphone, or do hundrets of other things

No, it sucks that you didn't have the conviction to abstain from using that shit.

People would read books/newspapers or just stare at the floor/wall in those situations. Dinners were a little more entertaining

I lived in nyc from 2006 until 2015.

I was never into smartphones even when became mainstream. One difference I saw especially in a big city like new york is that people are generally chickenshits and the smartphone became a life saver for them because the avg person could pretend to be distracted by it to avoid confrontation, good or bad.

I remeber I would be the only person on a platform of 100 people waiting for the train. These people buried in their phone screens had no awareness of their physical surroundings. I terrorist attack could be about to take place and they would be sitting ducks.

Terrible. I hate having to talk to cashiers, servers and people out an about. The phones is a great way to politely tell people to fuck off and leave you alone.
Had an old guy sit next to me and start to run his mouth today so I just pulled out my phone, popped in eat ear buds until he went away. It's so rude to talk to people

In the 1990s and early 2000s the practice was to never write out your personal info on the Internet. Everyone had a handle. On the other hand, under this fake identity, everyone secretly roleplayed as himself.
It was an open and friendly time. Internet-social mobility was better than now. Write an email or forum post and get known and respected for your own merits.
Then came social media forcing everyone to become public, with the result that everyone takes on a fake persona to go with the name and photo. Circlejerking is agressive, cliques are impenetrable, up/downvotes force people into norms.
t. lost all my friends because I didn't want facebook

On the other hand I seem to be the only one left with a situational awareness.

People were actually more aware of what was happening in the world, not politically brainwashed by whatever opinion was trending for that day.

Grubby magazines.

Based

Lol me too user. Ty for the member berries

I talked to people and tried being nice to everyone, now I just stare my screen and just ignore everyone.

Everyone in that picture sat there in silence and stared at the wall to avoid human contact. Some still wore headphones and listened to their walkman.

Funny, in all the historic photos I have seen of large crowds, no one is carrying book(s)

Wrong again!

I did abstain, at a profound social cost.

I don't use a smartphone.

Most people there are just reading the letters to the editor and thinking up responses. Humans gonna human

I did,it was rather shit Tbh.

If I want to find something out I can look it up on my phone from anywhere, I don't have to visit the library, trawl through encyclopedias, ask people who won't know anyway, rifle through pages of phonebooks, etc etc.

shakespeare is bit far fetching, i cant imagine reading a book on a smartphone, call me old fashioned

but I read a dozen of articles from science web pages and newsweek on regular basis

Boring.

Words have more consequences now than ever before user. I'm probably older than you too so don't respond with any >t. millennial either

Pretty shit tbqh

Private.

Better. No social media whoring all over the place. Fucking hell why are people so vain

t. underage

you needed some good toilet books. Like rock star biographies or the far side

>science web pages and newsweek on regular basis
These are seriously dumbed down. Compare an article from Scientific American today to one from 1970. The difference is depressing.

Friendly reminder that this picture's commentary is self defeating the second you imagine what the person looks like in the moment he took this photo.

I had a lovely QSO this morning with a 58 year old woman named Mary in North Dakota.

Makes any kind of conversation in public awkward when you're the only one talking and you know everyone has an ear on you. Was in the DMV a few months back and a qt3.14 sat right next to me but the whole place was so fucking quiet with like 50 people all on their phones pretending to have important lives scrolling facebook. I wanted to say something to her but breaking the deafening silence was too much on top of possible rejection.

Everyone played on their Game Boys.

replace every phone in pic with a newspaper, there you go. only real difference is it was much harder to be a faggot "in public" because it actually required you to go outside to do it back then.

Intelligent

It was a lot tougher back in the days. Everyone's tabloids jostling for space.

People actually lived lives in the real world.

I miss when people wouldn't cut friendships or get angry that I returned their text the next day and that we just accepted that sometimes people weren't home to pick up the phone.
hyperconnectivity was a mistake.

I fully remember just looking outside the windows in the highschool bus because there wasen't anything else to do. Basically it was the same, people were not more social, they would just pretend to be busy doing other stuff.

People talked to each other. Even strangers. Face to face. You would stop by the gas station to buy a newspaper on your way to work so you would have a crossword puzzle to fill out while you drove. Breaktime at work consisted of hanging out by the water cooler or playing cards with coworkers. On your way home from work you would stop by the gas station to buy a playboy to pleasure yourself to on the drive home. When you got home you had to ask your wife how her day was at work because you hadn't communicated since the morning. Then you had to ask what was going on for dinner and call a restaurant and ask them to deliver "whatever the special is." It was incredible. youtube.com/watch?v=B-bk1qugYmo

People got by just fine.
You used a land line and you visited people face to face.
Lives were certainly a lot more private.

user, I would look out the bus window too.
We were all alone together.
I wish I had a phone back then to look at other stuff. It would have been an improvement. Everyone always talks about the past as if it was better.

QSO?

you had to talk to people. it was awful.

>What was life like before Smartphones?
I have vivid memories of being happy...

30 aint underage. Most people I see on the trolley have no smartphones and they rarely talk to each other. People have always avoided strangers. Smartphones make the time go by faster.

Back and forth conversation on the radio when both sides QSL everything.

It was a time when girls couldn't hide in their pho
ne while I okwardly stared at them at the bus stop, imaging all the freaky shit I'd do to here feet.

You could do stupid things without worrying someone would record it and spread through social media.

people weren't afraid of speech.
people had social skills

This is the truth. This one the one thing that was a greater advantage back then.

How will you shitpost then?

why a massive app (whasapp) is free? There is something in the shadow?

The bed, the bath, and the bus has been whittled down to just the bath because everybody is busy with their phones now in bed and on the bus.
jimbriggs.net/2010/10/creativity-and.html

This. I'm glad only a few people had smartphones when I graduated high school.

Newspapers, magazines, books and very rarely a conversation with a stranger.

fpbp

>we use bird brain

>In public we actually had to socialize to not be seen as that awkward guy
bullshit, no one ever talked to anyone in sweden, bunch of bullshit

It was objectivelly worse you retarded edgemaster

>Everyone always talks about the past as if it was better.
Those who desire the past do so because they had failed less at that time..

Read about the history of new paper profits.

There use to be way more newspaper vending machines.

People would just stare at the wall when they took a shit.
If I wanted to know something I got an encyclopedia to figure it out.
If we had a dispute over something at a bar we would all just agree we didn't know what the fuck we were talking about and that was that.
In the subway people read newspapers or books.
If you wanted to listen to music you would have either one tape or one cd in your Walkman and that was good for the day.
I read so much more long form. This is probably what I miss the most.

>You could do stupid things without worrying someone would record it and spread through social media.

That's true because when I was a late teen in the 90's I got really fucking drunk with a friend at my house and had the habit of instead of going to the toilet i'd just open the front-door of the housedrop my trousers and just piss right into the street right onto the pavement.

Well one time a woman walked right past ( a mere couple of meters away) and seemed to take amusemnt in it (she lived in my street), didn't even phone the police or anything, it was pretty chill in the 90's

Another time the neighbours opposite phoned our house and told me to stop doing that, I drunkingly said ok and stopped doing that.

these days people would have pic/video of those incidents, now i'm just left with shame because the neigbour still lives opposite and I know that they know, but atleast there are no pics

It was the same. No one talked to random strangers like some people would lead you to believe. Your mind just went numb to the boredom of taking the train/bus. Or you read a book/paper. Or listened to music. I don't ever recall chatting with people on the bus back then for no reason.

No one reads shakespeare on their fucking smartphone smartass

People's heads were up while ignoring those around them. So not too much different aside from better posture.

Good

>he didn't take his GBA with him and spend hours on the shitter, playing Golden Sun

who cares, most people arent worth talking to anymore

>I FUCKING LOVE SCIENCE

Yeah it's weird for me to think about. I was born in the early 90s and graduated high school in 09. We still had social media, it's just no one really took it seriously. Facebook was primarily a place to just post photos and occasionally a few comments. No instagram no snapchat or anything. People didn't base their well being on facebook. There was a time on facebook when "Likes" didn't exist

The idea that there are people who base their worth on the number of likes they get blows my mind

People interacted with each other and didn't act like a bunch of autistic assholes.

>What was life like before Smartphones?
the same, since i never had one.

Whenever I go out with my family, my brother, my sister and my mom are always looking are their phones. My dad (whos 69 and has probably never picked up a telephone in his life) is the only one to talk to, but he has nothing interesting to talk about.

Smartphones make me paranoid. Everyone has an electric eye.

It was basically the same except instead of staring into their smartphones they stared into their newspaper or their novel.