Kyoto Animation shifting focus from TV to movie

KyoAni projects in the works
>Violet Evergarden (TV)
>Free! Movies x2
>Euphonium S2 Movie
>Chu2 Original Movie

It's clear that KyoAni is realizing the movies are much more profitable than TV anime. How do you feel about this shift in directions?

It's for the best, their resources will be spread less thin this way.

>Most of the movies are recaps

Lazy bastards

Better start hiring decent writers and acquiring not-shit properties, cinemagoing normalfags aren't going to tolerate trash like Phantom Sales and Kyoukai no kanata.

They make good movies. I'm sure they won't stop production of TV shows entirely.

I prefer movies to tv series, but I think that Kyoani's strength were always the characters and I (almost) always wanted to see more of their daily life which you can't do in movies due to time and structure.

>muh kyoani

The whole industry has been shifting more towards movie screenings for years now.
Even flip flappers got aired in some theaters to recoup the costs.

I don't mind it, or I'd say I welcome it.
Animation movies allow for a better focus of the workforce. As such, you can have the equivalent of a whole season of anime (roughly more than 2h30 of animation) packed into a tighter format (~1 hour shorter) with better direction. Now, all that remains is the writing.

They are doing both.
It looks like they are going more into movies because they don't shit multiple anime each season like the other studios.

I'd be pretty happy honestly. They haven't put out a film-quality tv anime since Hyouka

Since they obviously cannot make a good TV series perhaps this is a good move.
I guess LN publishing didn't work out since apparently Chu2 is their main go to series to adapt.

>VEG
TV show
>>Free! Movies x2
At least one of them is a recap movie
>>Euphonium S2 Movie
Recap movie

>How do you feel about this shift in directions?
Stop projecting.

It makes sense because of digital piracy.

Less animation time, secured distribution and profit, overall less work for more $$. Option to delay DVD and therefore "free" versions until the long tail dwindles enough. Those who were going to buy the DVD will do so anyway even if you release in theaters and wait. There are no downsides from a business standpoint.
Perhaps this is the eventual evolution of any healthy studio. "What, make straight to piracy 24 episode manpower sinks? psh, fuck that, we'll just spend a fraction of the time, not only on VA costs, but production costs and see more (secured) profit.
Good news though, it will probably mean the death of the LN animation mill. It also breaks the animation talent out of the niche and restrictive tastes of neet otakus.

>that moment when you realize fan-service is dead

This

>Good news though, it will probably mean the death of the LN animation mill.
Kyoani literally just announced a movie based on an LN

The movie was great stop that.

Yes. Phantom World and Maid Dragon prove they've forgotten how to do TV anime.

Kyoani always makes the right decisions when it comes to their growth as a studio. That's why they're always profiting while 1/4 of the other studios are losing money every year

No it wasn't you trash eating tailless monkey

why recap movies though?

Are you drunk Kyouka was boring garbage

>*Hoyuka

Your shit taste has nothing to do with what he said.

user, go home you're drunk.

>mfw I did not expect new Chuu2 content and I have just been told to expect new Chuu2 content

I'm sober
this hasn't been a good week ;_;

What was the point of this sequence? It felt pointlessly surreal

They fund all their projects now and recaps are quick, easy money.

>Kyoani always makes the right decisions when it comes to their growth as a studio.
Yeah right. They should consult with Toei & Sunrise about that matter.
KEK.

Trying to plagiarize SHAFT

Great. Films are superior to seasonal trash. Seriously, not a single show in 2016 came even close to the level of quality we saw in Kimi no Na wa or Koe no Katachi.

Is this because Hyouka was a flop?

>Seriously, not a single show in 2016 came even close to the level of quality we saw in Kimi no Na wa or Koe no Katachi.
Not true

>didn't need sister's brazillian virtue signaling, make the niece japanese if you need the infant story telling vehicle.
>didn't need red head guy nobody. Literally no point for him to be in film.
>Can cut blonde chick or Sahara, don't need both
>needed more or better Shouko character development pre-suicide attempt.
>felt nothing about out-of-left-field suicide attempt, was telegraphed horribly or Shouko was too 1 dimensional.
>in love, going to kill self because fuck endorphins and oxytocin
>Shouko written like a caricature staring into a fun-house mirror

I get the story that they were trying to tell, but that's mostly from me filling in a lot of holes, which I don't mind doing, but if that's the case Shouko's portrayal is poorly done. They could have used Yuzuru more to achieve this end. Yuzuru was much better developed than Shouko to the point that Shouko's character in the film doesn't make sense in the production value sense. I cared so little for Shouko because she was so one-note that I was sort of shrugging my shoulders at the balcony scene. "Uh, ok." They adapted the Manga too religously for film if this is all due to "it's how it was in the Manga"

Suicide attempt shouldn't have been during festival, it should have been after a reshuffled misunderstanding of Ishida's feelings for Ueno. "misunderstanding" fits perfectly with the themes of the FILM. You simply do not go from spending an intimate moment with your crush, who is begging you to stay during a festival to jumping off a balcony. That makes zero sense, even in the "suicidal deaf person" aspect. It was a poorly structured misstep that is currently being overlooked because of the hype and the absolutely fantastic animation.

Nice try.

Why can't we just go back to OVAs? It has the creative freedoms of movies with the multiple episodes of TV shows/

>Movie quality is better than TV series quality
Oh wow, I just know that. Thanks for your information.

wrong movie

My bad.

>>Chu2 Original Movie
Who asked for this?

I did. S2 was fun but unresolved.

>it's how it was in the Manga

Yes and no; the suicide attempt was done at the festival, the build up to it was different. The manga was flawed but the adaptation didn't improve anything. In fact, getting rid of everyone's least favorite subarc (the film the group of friends was making together) actually shows why it was important to the mango: it had several character arcs that were all building on something as people were working together towards a single goal and then that goal is ripped apart and everyone's character arcs are left hanging

In addition we're shown that Shoko is suicidal and shown reasons why, in the movie we're just /told/ that she's suicidal

Yes, I'm sure every single one of those 5 anime you watched in 2016 couldn't come close.

>Kyoani literally just announced a movie based on an LN
Not him but which one?

The new chuuni movie

>Sahara
Holy shit, she was so pointless that I literally forgot she was even in the movie, and to think she was one of my favorite characters in the manga.
What a fucking mess.

Mob Psycho easily whipes the floor with both.

mob shitco couldnt even surpass OPM

The reason Shouko tried to commit suicide in the film came to light during this scene where she apologizes for making him unhappy, and she's felt that way since the bridge scene. Essentially she feels like she's a nuisance and burdens everyone around her, not to mention she mentioned she hated herself before. In the film, it seems like it was set up to be more shocking but the signs were there.

Mob is easily a better production than OPM.

Did I miss something or Your Name's animation was way overhyped? Outside of 2 brief scenes with the comet, the movie looked like shit. Awful character animation for such a big production.

I LOVE MIRAI!

Nah, not even close. Spastic colors are not good animation.

This

It was much better and more consistent with its animation

I get that the Manga had things laid out more logically as it had the pages/time to. I'm not saying it shouldn't have happened at the festival in the Manga, I'm sure it made more sense there. I'm saying if they want to truncate reasons for suicide in the film they could have easily tied Ueno into a not unexpected love triangle and Shouko misreading something to that effect. I know it's a simpler story - but that's what the film needed.
Even if you want to have it take place at the festival because you want the dramatic kimono framing, at least cut and craft the story so the emotions make sense. No one goes and jumps off a balcony while their first (implied) crush is sitting there under fireworks alone with you begging you to stay. It's so far from reality as it was presented that the "Dramatic" balcony scene had zero impact for me. The best part of the entire film was the first 20 or so minutes.

I got that's what the story was trying to say, but it did it very poorly and was the wrong way to go about telling the theme of the story for the short runtime. People always complain about how a film adaptation "Cut so much out of a book" - well Koe no Katachi is demonstrating what happens when you don't cut enough out/change enough. There were ways to craft the story to maintain the nuance of what the Manga was trying to achieve, but it would have required a bit more creative license. It seemed Yamada was either unwilling or unable to merge/cut characters and change some plot points to better streamline the narrative. Shouko's motivations end up being the thing that is almost completely missing in this regard.

It was a good film that could have been so much better without needing more time.

I'm cool with it in theory, but hate that no anime movies but ghibli ones ever show in my country. Waiting for bluray releases is a fucking pain. If movies didn't have fucking garbage infrastructure I'd be entirely fine with a change like this.

> acquiring not-shit properties.
They're already doing this. See Hibike, Maidragon, and Koe. The best part is they buy full rights to the IP (or at least full rights to the adaptation of it)

We're back in that age where everyone prays Kyoani adapts their favorite manga.

Violet Evergarden looks kind of shit and Ishidate is directing it so that's a good guess.

I don't care about Chuu2, Free or Hibike's shitty second season recap movies, I just want to see KyoAni's next IP after evergarden flops

>Kyoani
>good

They will never make gems normalfags in cinema care about

Do I need 3d glasses to watch this?

>k-kinoani doesn't shill! Not like those niggers at shaft and trigger!

Funny how on an anonymous imageboard, no one really knows who you are. How do I know the guy you replied to isn't a paid Kyoani shill pushing their latest polished turds and trashing the competition? For that matter, how do you I'm not one?

Just do fuck up and link to your Amazon page like Shaft, or actually say who you are like that Trigger dude. Stick to good old fashioned astroturfing, "how can the other studios even compete" threads, trolling, and maybe gorespamming.

Holy shit dude

Koe movie or manga or both?

Rikka adaption when?

I cnat wait for more brazilians in Kyoanus works!

Me

No it was me

I don't want them to butcher my favorite manga
>forced yuri
>suddenly a lot of "lifelong manga fans" and no one of them did read the manga

Yeah, didn't fans of the Maid Dragon manga hate the changes Kyoani did in the anime?

I asked for a Shinka spin-off but I'll take it

Who knows? Never seen a one, all Maidragon fags are animeonly secondaries.

I wonder if any of them are even going to to read the manga

Kyoani was pretty weird about maidragon. They pushed the family angle pretty hard which I think is for the better, and they actually made Kanna thicc and upped the fanservice in some places (twister) but toned them down in others (Kobayashi's imagine spot where tohru and her lick each other). But there's no denying that the yuri was already there in the manga; you can't pin 'forced yuri' on them for this one.

Forced yuri means shows like Hibike and Chuu2

Exactly the point. They're not having a great time.

>comparing boutique studios to the big multibillion workforces.
Aren't you a bit special user. They don't employ more than a 1000 people like Toei. They're doing great for their own business.
Yamada should do movies only from now on. But I kinda hope they would air it in France at the same time as Japan.

What are you talking about?

I liked it. Some odd choices, but it was a good adaptation for the most part.

Where's my PW movie?

The anime wasn't that popular.

Hyouka was objectively a great show.

Kyoani WILL make it, it's their property and their shows are made mostly to entertain their animators.

>entertain their animators
They make stuff to get revenue. Unless it's a passion project of someone on the directors board(Ishihara, Takemoto and Ishidate). Also notice that Yamada despite getting bigger numbers and being older than Ishidate is being blueballed from the director board.

>They make stuff to get revenue

Theirs shows would be put together in a very different way it money was the end goal, Kyoani shows/movies are made to please their animators and directors.

>their shows are made mostly to entertain their animators.
Where did you get this from?

It's easy to tell the intentions made behind a show just by watching how it turned out. Seeing sequels of things that didn't move numbers speaks volumes as well.

The closest comparison would be Nintendo making games for their developers rather than for the players and simply expecting the things to sell because "they're put so much passion into it".

>more profitable
>more tailored/tight
>much less time crunch
>more international reach
>higher chance of top honours
feels bad but it makes a lot of sense

Making something you like yourself is the first rule of making something objectively good.

Would Phantom World be a passion project? Ishihara basically told the episode directors to do whatever.
I doubt it would get anything more though. It was barely advertised and unpopular. Ishihara went straight back to Chunibyo instead.

Kyoani do whatever the fuck the want. They bait and ostracize demographics constantly. Half the time they're doing the literal opposite of what would get them more sales.

>What was Hibike Euphonium?

Eupho looked great but it still pales in comparison to Hyouka, K-On!!, and Nichijou

What if you like making garbage?

>violet evergarden
are you fucking kidding me? this here is just sylphy with her hair down. 2017 and they're still reusing character designs from half a decade ago

That's a shame. What I liked the most about them was the OVA/movie-like quality in their TV shows.

I hope you're bullshitting.

>It's clear that KyoAni is realizing the movies are much more profitable than TV anime. How do you feel about this shift in directions?
Actually, for whatever reason it seems the costs of anime films have gone down. I still remember the article years ago mentioning that only a few directors in Japan could convince sponsors to pay for an animated film.

Alternately, it could just be that sponsors are more convinced about the reliability of financial return in an anime film than they used to be.

Remember that most studios couldn't fund the ENTIRE film. They had to find people to pay for it, much the same way Hollywood does it. So anime movies only get made if some fund manager (who likely never watch anime himself) decided that the studio can earn money.

It seems that they've really almost entirely dropped TV anime instantly.

Gee Mirai, how come Kyoani gives you TWO movies?

One's a recap, it doesn't count.