Catcher in the rye

Kids are no longer allowed to read this in schools because blacks said it was racist, as usual. any thoughts pol/?

Other urls found in this thread:

rense.com/general32/americ.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Confusions_of_Young_Törless
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also because it makes people murder John Lennons

Where?

Useless book.

He doesn't even catch anything.

Kill the phonies....

Who cares? People are reading 1984 in British highschool and looks how that turned out. It really doesn't matter what books are forced down your throat in highschool.

shit book

This book's only claim to fame was that crazy guy who said it gave him the idea to kill.
It in't engaging at all.

Blacks being worried about books
Top kek m8

OP if something exists there are people who are gonna call it racist that's just the world we live in

hurp durp I hate college lol fuck it right? lol its cold and shit where is my hat

god this professor smells bad llol wtf

fuck this town sucks haha, so random right?

Gonna get laid I guess whatever olol I didnt even want to fuck lol

My parents pay for everything liolol

THE END

Hopefully they replace it with Fahrenheit 451.

Douglas had to poop...

>racist

Don't you mean sexist? I've never heard anyone say it was racist.

Sounds like my life

that's a feature, not a bug

this. phonies are the worst.

plebs

I cannot believe that Sup Forums has so little appreciation for the story of a young man's descent into NEETdom.

I liked the part where he took a girl out on a date and started screaming at her about random shit like getting fitted for pants.

lel, I definitely need to read it now

>that's a feature, not a bug
this

Back in the day the people in my school who worshipped this shit were all left as fuck.

Easily read this book 20 times. user. This is a good post, and you're doing good word. You won't hear what I'm about to say often. Thank you.

Could care less. The only people I wanted to kill after reading this piece of shit book were the main character and the man that wrote this god aweful excuse for a book.
0/10 if you like it then consider suicide

It's only very recently that the left-wing went from the party of art, edginess, and free-speech to the party of censorship and forced conformity.

I like the part where gets beaten up by a pimp

we read catcher in the rye, brave new world and fahrenheit 451 sophomore year.. pretty engaging desu

Thats fine, I thought the book was shit

so what, the right needs to quit their anti-intellectual crusade against art and literature. If right wing people don't produce art then it will be dominated by leftists. Seriously art is a noble pursuit, and should be encouraged at every turn. Of course art is more complicated than just spouting political opinions and takes a lot of time to appreciate in depth and even more time to produce worthwhile art.

thank u user. U saved me time and time is precious.

Go for it. Just take your time. The protagonist narrates the story and you need to read a bit carefully because Holden speak and thinks in contradiction. For example when discussing drinking he talks about how he and a friend are good drinkers but also discusses how splitting a pint of whiskey hardly made them sick at all, which points to him being a lightweight. I can imagine that people who read this book the period before having to discuss it or take a quiz on it in school found this immensely frustrating.

He's kind of right about people being phonies.

>spbp
all these responses and only one asking for proof of claim. the state of this shithole.

It was banned years earlier too because of the language and themes. But that just made it taboo and kids everywhere wanted to get their hands on it. The book is over rated imo.

>art

i paint, it chose me, unfortunately. got denied by yale after interview bc straight white male..

why is Hatchet still pretty much the only book we teach our elementary school kids?

I concur. No clue what was good about this book.

Shoot yourself for being a hyperbolic arsehole.
Catcher in the Rye was put on te recommended reading list 80 years ago as an example of “contemporary” young adult literature and somehow remained on that last for a century. They just updated the list. You can still ducking read Catcher in the Rye if you want to at school fucking hell,

i read brave new world in my parents' garage one summer because i didnt want them to find it. think i found it in my father's footlocker too, which does make a lot of sense for me hiding it at the time

I fucking hated this book.
This book and the Great Gatsby were fucking awful.

they force me to read this when i was 12 in spain i didnt understand a fuck

>not having to pay for expensive ass college
well you could take this as a blessing in disguise, or become a politician. Memes aside continue doing so user, we need good painters, what kind of style do you have? What types of paintings do you do?

Dude. Next you're probably going to tell me that you didn't like A Confederacy of Dunces.

I found catcher to be grating, but I read it fast because of the edginess of it. Ultimately, I just wanted the character to KYS themself.
I guess it was subversive lit, in the sense that subversive motherfuckers made it relevant to young adult lit

this. regardless of how long we spent on "dissecting" it, i never understood the point. it's a culture long-forgotten, and he kills a bitch?

You're a big dummy.

That was wrong of them. There is no way a 12 year old would be able to understand what's going on. I first read the book when I was 30. I wouldn't recommend it for people under 22 or so.

You guys really need to spend some time developing your aesthetic senses. Seriously, it's not good to go through life ignorant about art.

You're already being racist, just proving their point, dumb ass.

What do you expect from STEMs?

>Muh art

Why don't you kill yourself? Stupid nigger.

but i do enjoy classical art

>tfw STEMcel

Lol you are Brazilian

Forgot pic

>didn't kill Ono as well
That's the bug.

I am a STEM grad, and Gatsby was a good book, in the end, Gatsby was just a lonely man. The whole glitz and glammer a mere facade covering his flaws.

The real issue with Catcher in the Rye usually goes over everyone's heads. It became controversial because it exposed the idea that a teacher can and will abuse their authority in order to seduce children. It has nothing to do with niggers or swearing at all, it has to do with the fact that teachers, a lot of them, are pedos, and if people know about it then they wouldn't be able to fuck so many kids.

Think about it. I've been through a lot of schools, and in every one of them was at least a single instance of a teacher or a student teacher trying to fuck kids, or had that one teacher that looked very very gay or one that paid special attention to the pretty girls in class. It almost happened to me a bunch of times, and I'm not even that great. I just had enough awareness to understand what was happening

This was a class reading I had in english class and I'm not natively an (((anglo))) speaker. I mean the kid is edgy but there's no racism kek, you could call it (((sexist))) at certain points but even Schlomo Goldbergstein can't deconstruct why it would incite racism or be racist of itself. 3/10 would read Uncle Tom instead.

is that the point of the book? never really cared to understand it or "get" it. the book's subject is basically "hey, he's rich and good-looking and everyone likes him, but he's just a lonely fag when you remove his charm and money, like any other fag"?

He might be a cuck for all you know, monkeyman.

>It was banned years earlier too because of the language and themes.
Yeah, it's probably best for children not to read it because of.
>prostitution
>underaged drinking
This whole fuck sequence
>But while I was sitting down, I saw something that drove me crazy. Somebody'd written "Fuck you" on the wall. It drove me damn near crazy. I thought how Phoebe and all the other little kids would see it, and how they'd wonder what the hell it meant, and then finally some dirty kid would tell them – all cockeyed, naturally – what it meant, and how they'd all think about it and maybe even worry about it for a couple of days. I kept wanting to kill whoever'd written it. I figured it was some perverty bum that'd sneaked in the school late at night to take a leak or something and then wrote it on the wall. I kept picturing myself catching him at it, and how I'd smash his head on the stone steps till he was good and goddam dead and bloody. But I knew, too, I wouldn't have the guts to do it. I knew that. That made me even more depressed.

I don't really engage one particular style --the work tends to change form from project to project. I attribute my tendencies to being a 90s baby and dealing with the mashup/sampling mindset, and also having went thru a fairly conceptual undergrad program. However, formal training is at the root of my practice so I labor over the work.. there is always going to be a material quality that i would like to trump any jargon that follows the work.

This is a funny picture. Can I have it?

Thats my point they make us to read great classics like white fang moby dick the talented mr ripley, about that age, at people that even could understand proper english.
What a big waste making young people hate great classics

>The left has gone so far left that it's own propaganda is now off limits

Can we make them go lefter?

Beethoven, Van Gogh, and Shakespeare were better artists than Salinger.

Could you post some? Sounds really interesting. It's good that you aren't stuck in one old style or something. New art that isn't just a callback to a better time will represent the period and society it was produced in, or something like that.

2 of those people worked with a different medium and Shakespeare is better than most writers, so what?

It can be tough to tell whether Holden was actually molested or if he's just paranoid. The more I read it the more I'm convinced he was molested.

(((Salinger))) basically wrote some neurotic semi-memoir, became a litigious asshole, and rode the success of that shitty novelette for the rest of his life.

best book ever written, have a (you)

Blacks are largely illiterate, so how would they know whether or not the book contained anything racists?

Trips don't lie, my nigga. Trips don't lie. Teachers fucking kids at school has become the norm. Shit, we had this one fucking teacher who married a student once she turned legal.

Don't let those fucks ruin it for you. Read the books on your own. Enjoy them. Talk with people online or in book clubs about them. Don't let a bunch of school marms rob you of the pleasure you could get from these books.

Counterpoint: blacks are literate enough just to perceive racism. I've seen black people from black majority schools with all black teachers complain about racism.

It's a shit sorry of a lazy degenerate. Glad it's banned.

Damn, I was thinking about becoming a teacher, gonna do it for sure. At least gonna do some subbing once I get my Bachelors.

can only post 1. a glory hole, something not anyone around me has seen.

Hahah joke all you want, but that's literally how they get into schools.

This book wasn't all that. An English teacher chose to have us read it even if it was banned. Its only gravity right now is that it's forboden. It's not very well written or any where close to a triumph of literature.

Oh so blacks should be ALLOWED to throw a fit because the author was a sue happy faggot with neurotic tendencies.?

I read it in high school, in the early 2000s. Thought it was unremarkable.

rense.com/general32/americ.htm

that looks freaky as hell, in a good way! Pls post more!

top kek I didn't pick up on that. wasn't very politically interested then.

It would probably be called sexist before it’s called racist. A Separate Peace would be banned first.

What are you implying? Context buddy! American culture is being degraded by our social situation, Communists don't need to do anything, they can rest assured American culture has been crippled long ago.

Since we seem to be having a theme of fucked up coming of age stories on this thread, check this one out.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Confusions_of_Young_Törless

Three students of an Austrian boarding school, Reiting, Beineberg and Törless, catch their classmate Basini stealing money from one of the three and decide to punish him themselves instead of turning him in to the school authorities. They start abusing him, first physically and then psychologically and sexually, while also blackmailing him by threatening to denounce him. Their abusive treatment of Basini becomes openly sexual and increasingly sadistic; nevertheless, he endures all the torture even when, after being deprived of any dignity, he is discredited by the entire class.

Törless's moral and sexual confusion leads him to join Beineberg's and Reiting's degradation of Basini; he is both sexually attracted to Basini and Beineberg and repelled by them. He observes and takes part in the torture and rape of Basini while telling himself that he is trying to understand the gap between his rational self and his obscure irrational self; he is a disturbed and despairing observer of his own states of consciousness. The homosexual Basini is somewhat complicit in the abuse, as he apparently enjoys the sexual aspect of Beineberg and Reiting's "experiments". Beinberg and Reiting compensate for their own shame about their attraction to Basini by debasing him. Basini professes love for Törless and Törless comes to reciprocate somewhat, but is ultimately repelled by Basini's unwillingness to stand up for himself. This disgust with Basini's passivity ultimately leads him almost off-handedly to stand up to Beineberg and Reiting. When the torment becomes unbearable, Törless covertly advises Basini to turn himself in to the headmaster as a way out of the situation.

An investigation is commenced, but the only party to be found guilty is Basini.

Lmao, it's you again. How many threads are you going to make? I mean, you're threads are good, but you're not trying to slide something important, are you?

>that's a feature, not a bug
>Todd Howard wrote Catcher in the Rye
Holy shit no wonder it was so boring

>blacks said it was racist
Blacks are always looking to be offended.

I hated them both the first time I read them. The second reads, I got much more out of them. I think we all may need to read Gatsby again after all of the political/banking/satanic stuff hits the fan. Fitzgerald names the Jew, Meyer Wolfsheim, who works from the shadows with the handsome goy, Gatsby, as his front man. Wolfsheim gets one of the Wall Street banks in over its head with debt and takes control. That is described almost as a throwaway in one or two paragraphs, but it is there. Even then, he probably could not get away with anything more. As for the Satanic element, Fitzgerald describes a billboard that the characters pass by several times. It is for an eye doctor. The face on the billboard wears big round eyeglasses. Gatsby describes the face as a sort of all-seeing, all-knowing character. In school and Cliff-Notes, this is always presented as God observing the situation. This might be a stretch, but with the banking, debauchery, and (((man))) behind the curtain themes, it recently came to mind that the big round eyeglasses represent an owl, like Minerva, and Bohemian Grove. Gatsby went to Princeton. He would have known people in fraternities, and secret societies. The Great Gatsby may have been an early Eyes Wide Shut. It went from a book I thought was ridiculous to a book I want to read again. Of course, my interpretation would get me sent home with a letter to my parents. If you are in school, best to regurgitate the Cliff Note interpretation and keep your real thoughts amongst friends. Sometimes you have to be a phony to survive.

You should read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. It's dripping with redpills about the Jew, even though he never mentions them. Just know the main android is named Rachel and the company that creates them is called Rosen.

Good, I fucking hated having to read this book anyway.
Boring as fuck.

Thanks for the reco. Sounds like Confederacy of Dunces should be on the list, too.

dIs BOok iS aRT GuD

I wondered about this, too. What about his young brother that died. Was it of natural causes, or is the cause shrouded/abuse? The first time I read it, I thought it was garbage, just an attempt to write from a teen point of view. After having met and understood a schizophrenic person, I read Catcher again. Holden is going schizo. I think either the death of his younger brother, or abuse has pushed him over the edge. Maybe both if he and his brother were victims. He is stuck. He can't move into adulthood. Since his brother died he can't move forward. He wants to stay in that time. The person he is most able to relate to is his little sister. I thought I was stretching this interpretation, but then I read Salinger's bio. It reads like Holden's life. In and out of boarding schools. He marries a teenager. He fixates on teenage women. He carries on pen-pal relationships with some of the teen girls who write to him after reading his book. I think that is how he found his wife. It went from being a teen book to a psychology case study, and maybe even a pedo victim's story.

> not allowing kids to read it
Bullshit
> not forcing kids to read it
Im ok with that